OtherGround Forums Built my first home - very excite (pics)

3 days ago
3/8/11

I've mentioned it here before, but I divorced a few years back and lost my stepson, home, dog, career, friends, home, blah blah etc etc. I moved away and started fresh with $300, two garbage bags of clothes and my beloved '95 Chevy Silverado (still only has 70k original miles!)

Since then I've remarried and built a career while living in a tiny 900 sq ft apartment. Last year I got word that the rent on our apartment was going to skyrocket to $1,800 a month so I decided to build a house. In June I fit the last two pieces of the puzzle together as we moved into our new home and my (ex) stepson moved in with us. It took a while, but my life is better now than its ever been....and I never thought that could happen. I was more down than I ever knew a person could be for a long time. 

It feels so good to have a home, I rarely ever leave anymore. Everything I have is right here and everyday is awesome. Hell, I rarely even go to BJJ anymore because I'm such a homebody now. Anyway, wanted to show off a few pics.

3 days ago
3/8/11

This is where I'm posting from right now. I'm fortunate enough to do the majority of my work from home so its nice having my own space for that instead of my wife and I both being in the living room.

3 days ago
3/8/11

I love the entry way, its a nice welcome home when I actually do leave.

3 days ago
6/3/09

Nice looking house .

3 days ago
12/30/10

Good shit! Congrats! 

3 days ago
3/8/11

The right side of the house is all open from the kitchen, dining room and living room. Feels so spacious compared to what I was used to. My son and I hung the TV ourselves, goddamn it was scary.

3 days ago
4/29/07

That’s awesome, dude.  Congrats!

3 days ago
12/18/07

Very welcoming...

3 days ago
3/8/11

Everything in the house is new. I was able to save so that we moved in I was able to outfit it immediately and make it feel like a home.

3 days ago
8/12/09

What was the moment you saw your life taking a turn for the better?

3 days ago
11/3/15

Congrats man,looks nice. Glad to see you get things going for you after the hardships you dealt with.

3 days ago
4/27/15

Great house.  Awesome story

3 days ago
3/8/11

I can finally live up to the TFK tag now that I have a great place to smoke and grill. I've been cooking everything outside. Got a little cooking table, Pit Boss Smoker, Weber and an Acorn. Man its sweet.

3 days ago
3/8/11

No more spending time going back and forth to the gym. My wife is the manager at our gym and its really hard to go workout there with everyone interupting us. In addition, she really doesn't want to go back after working a shift so now we can do it in house!

3 days ago
5/4/14

Well done Kaneman. 

3 days ago
3/8/11

And there's still plenty of room for my bike

3 days ago
3/26/18

I needed this today. Congrats OP and enjoy!

3 days ago
1/16/12
TFK_Kaneman82 -

I can finally live up to the TFK tag now that I have a great place to smoke and grill. I've been cooking everything outside. Got a little cooking table, Pit Boss Smoker, Weber and an Acorn. Man its sweet.

Awesome work my man!! Proud of you!! Killer house! ENJOY 

3 days ago
9/13/12

Great job, OP. What a story you have, and it’s great that your stepson is with you. 

Serious life goals there, may I ask how old you are? I’m 24 and paying £625 ($830) a month rent with my girlfriend, along with council tax, bills, and so on. Averages out over £1,200 ($1600) before food, etc. 

Can’t wait to eventually own a property and stop lining a landlord’s pockets. I have 2-3 years left before I’ll be making enough money though. 

3 days ago
3/8/11

The backyard isn't very big, but I'm proud of it. We laid Texas Tough Bermuda (TifTuf) sod and I built two raised garden beds. We're growing just about everything, learning as we go. Ghost peppers, reapers, jalepenos, tomatoes, bell peppers, cucumber, squash, watermelon, all the herbs I could fit in there.....its so much fun.

3 days ago
3/8/11

And since we're on the culdesac and my son loves basketball, even though I'm terrible at it, I went ahead and got a goal. Now everyone in the culdesac uses it so its pretty sweet! Its a nice neighborly thing where everyone has gotten to know each other.

3 days ago
6/12/13

Thumbs up OP

3 days ago
3/8/11

There's even enough length in the backyard to practice our new hobby, I've now hung some backstop cloth over the back fence just to be safer. Thanks for reading guys!

3 days ago
2/11/03
Congrats man, shit like this makes my day.
3 days ago
3/8/11
dustynothing -

What was the moment you saw your life taking a turn for the better?

My first promotion after I moved here and started a completely new career. I started as a grunt building valves in the shop, 100hrs a week, with no AC or anything. But I had a great attitude and I worked hard, even though I was a dozen years older than the other guys. After three months they made me shop foreman, so I had to fake it until I made it for a while. From there its been a steady stream of advancements and life improvements. I don't work nearly as hard anymore, but I made a name for myself and I always handle my business. Instead of sweating away in the shop I'm working from home making even better money. Dream come true.