OtherGround Forums Buy Golf Lessons?

7/23/19 10:21 AM
5/7/10

I just started getting into golf a few months ago. Started with a top golf opening up here then went to a driving range, then a chip and putt and now I've finished to rounds of golf the last few weeks. Long story short is I am not good. Slicing the ball half the time. Can't putt that good or anything. I am slowly getting better but my question should I just bite the bullet and buy golf lessons? My buddies have been helping me and I've been watching A TON of YouTube videos but the improvement is coming to slow. Golf Lessons are expensive so I am curious of anyone has bought lessons and if they feel it's worth it. Also of you did do lessons how many lessons do you think I'll need? Lessons are $100-$150 per hour by me. 

7/23/19 10:22 AM
5/7/10

Two rounds **

7/23/19 10:29 AM
10/30/05

Can’t hurt. Take a lesson then spend a shit ton of time on the range. If you hit enough balls, you will eventually figure it out. 

7/23/19 11:21 AM
1/6/14

One or two lessons at the beginning to get a couple basic pointers, too many all at once might overload you and cause you to fix too much at one.  Then, like the poster above stated, spend a ton of time at the range nailing those drills and then move on from there.  Once you get a couple fundamentals down, then you can move on and learn more.  

7/23/19 12:41 PM
8/1/07
It depends on what you are trying to achieve and your level of commitment.

If you truly want to get better then it will take time and work, get lessons but also play and practice frequently. If you are only interested in playing occasionally then lessons might not be worth the money.

7/23/19 1:20 PM
1/1/01
TeamRenzo - It depends on what you are trying to achieve and your level of commitment.

If you truly want to get better then it will take time and work, get lessons but also play and practice frequently. If you are only interested in playing occasionally then lessons might not be worth the money.

This all day.

Sounds like you've done a good job of learning the game and getting the basics under your belt, so if you REALLY want to get better you're going to have to invest time and money.

The money is in the form of some lessons. There's a mountain of things you're bad at right now, so take 3 - 5 lessons to work on your mechanics.

After that you have to practice. A LOT.

Setup a catch net in your backyard to hit into and hit a couple hundred balls a day. If you don't have that kind of yard then find a high school field or community recreation field where you can head to after work every day (you may need to use practice balls). Mix in trips to the range and playing rounds in there.

From there it will be rinse, recycle, repeat. Each subsequent time you go for lessons you'll be able to focus on something different because overall you'll suck less.

You'll eventually get to a point where golf will become you're passion/obsession and you'll keep doing this for years, or you'll get to a point where you think you're "good enough" and dial things back.

Me and my friends played a lot of golf back in the day, but most of us were just casual about it so we ditched the lessons and regular routines pretty quick. That means I usually shoot between 95 - 102 on our local courses, but I don't have the time, desire, or energy to improve, so that's fine with me.

One friend hits the range regularly and practices, so he usually shoots between 88 - 95.

Another friend is rich and paid for a TON of lessons and gear and he plays all over on vacations, so he usually shoots around 82.

7/23/19 5:28 PM
2/17/11

If you aren't too much of an elitist, look for group lessons that run a fraction of the cost of that.  Obviously you can't compare it to 1-1 instruction, but if you're just looking for some pointers while you try to tighten up driving, chipping or putting it's a good way to go.

7/23/19 6:00 PM
5/1/14

I wanted to learn to play golf, so I signed up a golf PE class at my local community college. Way chesper than lessons and worked ok.

7/23/19 6:09 PM
5/7/08

That's expensive, I got lessons last year for 50$/hour. That said, totally worth it. Golf is expensive as fuck to play, so if the cost of a few lessons is prohibitive for you, perhaps it's best not to get too invested. If you feel like it's something you want to pursue and get better at, then budget for the lessons. They will be invaluable in the long run to helping your game.

7/23/19 6:11 PM
1/30/03

Where are you that lessons are that expensive?

7/23/19 7:53 PM
9/11/13

Absolutely yes you should.  It will save you a lot of frustration.  You’ll understand the mechanics a lot better and you will improve more rapidly.

7/23/19 7:56 PM
5/7/10

Thanks for all the advice. It is something I want to pursue and get really good at so it sounds like lessons might be the way to go. In the NJ for the person who asked. 

7/23/19 7:59 PM
3/13/02

Wonder why people would even question taking lessons.  Professionals have a teachers and take lessons all the time.  If you want to get better or take it to the next level, Get lessons.  Your game will improve and you will become consistently better.  

7/23/19 8:17 PM
1/1/01
mijo - 

Wonder why people would even question taking lessons.  Professionals have a teachers and take lessons all the time.  If you want to get better or take it to the next level, Get lessons.  Your game will improve and you will become consistently better.  

I don't question lessons, I am still trying to grasp how a grown ass man can spend so much time doing something as useless as developing the skills necessary to hit a ball into a hole.

I know I am in the minority, I have many friends and family that golf. I just never have been able to wrap my head around all the time wasted just to acquire such useless skills.

These skills transfer well into absolutely nothing other than golf.
7/23/19 8:25 PM
2/5/06
I've been golfing my ass off the last 2 months.

I have gotten noticeably better from youtube videos. You need to hit balls....a lot of them. Just this week I've golfed 36 holes and driving range of 100 plus balls and it's Tuesday. If you can take and apply instructions you can get better.

Of course live instructions will help, you'll get real time corrections and I still plan on getting them but I can get my game a lot better first, then get the instructions that will jump it another level...cause frankly they're expensive and you're not going to just jump to shooting in the 80's after some live instructions.....you need to hit balls and practice, there's no way around that and you can get the basics down from videos and spend your money hitting balls.

After a round you'll know what you consistently fuck up on, I was topping the ball on my irons...I hardly ever do now and I'm taking divots, all from youtube videos. I had a birdie on a par 5 last night AFTER fucking up my drive. That gave me uber confidence that I'm getting better...along with pitching to the green, it's been a night and day difference.
7/23/19 8:38 PM
2/5/06
Dryfly - 
mijo - 

I don't question lessons, I am still trying to grasp how a grown ass man can spend so much time doing something as useless as developing the skills necessary to hit a ball into a hole.

I know I am in the minority, I have many friends and family that golf. I just never have been able to wrap my head around all the time wasted just to acquire such useless skills.

These skills transfer well into absolutely nothing other than golf.

Entertainment ....it's not a hard thing to grasp is it?

This is actually developing a skill, even though it's "useless", it's fun and good for the brain regardless....plus walking a round gets my ass up and moving, it's not crossfit but it's healthy and good for you.

Grown ass men get wrapped up in collecting comic books and into Marvel movies and shit, spending money on that ...I'll take golf over that any day.
7/23/19 8:50 PM
1/1/01

One of the hardest sports in the world to get good at. I don't care enough to take lessons as I enjoy my time on the course with friends just having a good time. I'm decent when I play well and other times terrible. I can literally birdie a par 4 and then shoot a 10 on the next hole.

7/23/19 9:00 PM
2/5/06
Chris - 

One of the hardest sports in the world to get good at. I don't care enough to take lessons as I enjoy my time on the course with friends just having a good time. I'm decent when I play well and other times terrible. I can literally birdie a par 4 and then shoot a 10 on the next hole.

I'm about there now, ...consistency. That only comes with practice practice practice. There's no way around it, there's no shortcuts, just like everything else.

But I've gotten to never getting close to par let alone a birdie to getting them now from youtube videos and hitting a shitload of balls.
7/23/19 9:56 PM
1/30/03
Mjump05 -

Thanks for all the advice. It is something I want to pursue and get really good at so it sounds like lessons might be the way to go. In the NJ for the person who asked. 

That's too much. There has to be someone in your area that's cheaper.

100-150/hr is the cost of someone teaching single digit players.

7/23/19 10:12 PM
1/1/01
Curry shoots in my mouth - 

Can’t hurt. Take a lesson then spend a shit ton of time on the range. If you hit enough balls, you will eventually figure it out. 

This.

Pro tip - At the driving range hit balls in REVERSE club order. Wedge, 9 Iron, 8 Iron, 7 Iron, etc.. At this point in your game it's more important to learn how to hit straight than long.

They say golf is a ridiculously expensive hobby, and makes "golf widows." But the fact of the matter is if you don't hit the driving range at least twice a week on top of playing 18 holes a week, then you just won't improve.
7/23/19 10:15 PM
1/1/01
Thrill Hammer - 

I wanted to learn to play golf, so I signed up a golf PE class at my local community college. Way chesper than lessons and worked ok.

That's a REALLY good idea.
Edited: 7/23/19 10:25 PM
4/29/09

If I dont get a lesson soon I am going to quit this fucking game lol.  My handicap right now is 11.8 which is a couple strokes worse than last year.  I haven't broken 80 yet this year, I broke 80 a good amount of times last year.  Fixed my slice and then developed new issues after that ha. That said 150 an hour is what a scratch player would pay from a higher end instructor.  I just need someone to help me with my preshot routine, tempo, and to catch a few small things Im not seeing.  I wont be paying 150 Ill probably pay half that.

7/23/19 10:35 PM
2/5/06
phydeau - 
Curry shoots in my mouth - 

This.

Pro tip - At the driving range hit balls in REVERSE club order. Wedge, 9 Iron, 8 Iron, 7 Iron, etc.. At this point in your game it's more important to learn how to hit straight than long.

They say golf is a ridiculously expensive hobby, and makes "golf widows." But the fact of the matter is if you don't hit the driving range at least twice a week on top of playing 18 holes a week, then you just won't improve.

That's a Tiger thing (I watched an instructional on youtube with him) he would always start wedge first and work up.

I'll get 100 balls and do 5 each starting with my Wedge, PW, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4 fairway wood, 3W, Driver. That's 50. Then I'll start over and do 4 a piece giving me 10 extra for my Driver hitting 14 to finish ...I need more help with that right now.
7/23/19 10:46 PM
2/5/06
Chomas - 

If I dont get a lesson soon I am going to quit this fucking game lol.  My handicap right now is 11.8 which is a couple strokes worse than last year.  I haven't broken 80 yet this year, I broke 80 a good amount of times last year.  Fixed my slice and then developed new issues after that ha. That said 150 an hour is what a scratch player would pay from a higher end instructor.  I just need someone to help me with my preshot routine, tempo, and to catch a few small things Im not seeing.  I wont be paying 150 Ill probably pay half that.

This is where lessons pay off the most imo, if you're a consistent low 90's player they can put you over....most bang for your buck

If you're in the 100's to 120's, watch YT vids and learn what's supposed to happen on a swing and practice your ass off, learn how to control your club face and take divots etc.
7/23/19 10:46 PM
3/16/18

Shot 95 for a decade. Paid $100 for 2 days on the course. Basically 36 holes. I have not shot over 88 since and my official documented handycap is now 12. Get a fucking lesson.