OtherGround Forums Buy Golf Lessons?

7/23/19 11:18 PM
10/20/10
Get lessons or practice what you learn on YouTube at the range with a camera, just to see your swing. Learn all about managing your game on the golf course.Your game, not your buddy who goes for it every hole.Like club selection, lag putting. Ect. You can send your swing to a bunch of different online forums or coaches for analysis. I used to hate golf and laughed at even thinking of playing. 10 years later going strong. Starting to break 80 at easier courses and 90 at tough ones.
7/23/19 11:27 PM
3/13/02
Dryfly -
mijo - 

Wonder why people would even question taking lessons.  Professionals have a teachers and take lessons all the time.  If you want to get better or take it to the next level, Get lessons.  Your game will improve and you will become consistently better.  

I don't question lessons, I am still trying to grasp how a grown ass man can spend so much time doing something as useless as developing the skills necessary to hit a ball into a hole.

I know I am in the minority, I have many friends and family that golf. I just never have been able to wrap my head around all the time wasted just to acquire such useless skills.

These skills transfer well into absolutely nothing other than golf.

I wouldn’t say useless.  Over the years I have found out that golf keeps me competitive.  I workout, play basketball, do alittle Brazilian Jiujitsu, and play golf because it’s not as demanding on your body as other physical activity.  There are plenty of things people do that dont make them better in anything else.  Sometimes you find different things entertaining.  I like golf and I’m a grown ass man!  Plenty of other grown ass man play golf.  Plenty of women, and children play !   Some peeps actually get their education payed for by being excellent at golf.  I don’t see a lot of retards playing golf but I guess that’s the minority.  

7/23/19 11:29 PM
2/5/06
Real Muthaphuckkin G - 

Shot 95 for a decade. Paid $100 for 2 days on the course. Basically 36 holes. I have not shot over 88 since and my official documented handycap is now 12. Get a fucking lesson. 

I highly doubt the OP is shooting 95 after dinner at Top Golf and a few rounds. Lessons now are going to teach him what he can learn with instructional videos and a lot of practice. He should spend the $100's on more rounds and a bunch of buckets. It's also amazing what you can learn at a range, I've made small talk with people who are more than happy to give out tips and tell you what you're doing wrong, people love talking about what they know.

This guy next to me was fucking crushing straight 300 yard drives and he looked effortless doing it, I said "how long does it take for me to do that?"...boom, he changed my stance, ball placement, tee height and basic practice tips (not trying to kill it etc.) it was instant improvement. I could have spent $50 -100 for an hour with a club pro to tell me the same shit......and I'd still have to practice it.

Instructions are for making a decent (95-90) golfer into a 80's or less golfer in my opinion...but that's just me.
7/23/19 11:33 PM
1/30/03
CaptainWoody -
phydeau - 
Curry shoots in my mouth - 

Can’t hurt. Take a lesson then spend a shit ton of time on the range. If you hit enough balls, you will eventually figure it out. 

This.

Pro tip - At the driving range hit balls in REVERSE club order. Wedge, 9 Iron, 8 Iron, 7 Iron, etc.. At this point in your game it's more important to learn how to hit straight than long.

They say golf is a ridiculously expensive hobby, and makes "golf widows." But the fact of the matter is if you don't hit the driving range at least twice a week on top of playing 18 holes a week, then you just won't improve.

That's a Tiger thing (I watched an instructional on youtube with him) he would always start wedge first and work up.

I'll get 100 balls and do 5 each starting with my Wedge, PW, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4 fairway wood, 3W, Driver. That's 50. Then I'll start over and do 4 a piece giving me 10 extra for my Driver hitting 14 to finish ...I need more help with that right now.

That's an everyone thing.

If you go to the range and warm up with driver, someone should make fun of you

7/23/19 11:35 PM
7/15/11
Animal Chin -
CaptainWoody -
phydeau - 

Can’t hurt. Take a lesson then spend a shit ton of time on the range. If you hit enough balls, you will eventually figure it out. 

This.

Pro tip - At the driving range hit balls in REVERSE club order. Wedge, 9 Iron, 8 Iron, 7 Iron, etc.. At this point in your game it's more important to learn how to hit straight than long.

They say golf is a ridiculously expensive hobby, and makes "golf widows." But the fact of the matter is if you don't hit the driving range at least twice a week on top of playing 18 holes a week, then you just won't improve.

That's a Tiger thing (I watched an instructional on youtube with him) he would always start wedge first and work up.

I'll get 100 balls and do 5 each starting with my Wedge, PW, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4 fairway wood, 3W, Driver. That's 50. Then I'll start over and do 4 a piece giving me 10 extra for my Driver hitting 14 to finish ...I need more help with that right now.

Like someone using a staff bag...

7/23/19 11:47 PM
8/17/14

Of course buy lessons. You'll need someone to put a stop to your bad habits before they're uncurable. But for the love of god please don't spend $100-150/hr. You asked how many lessons you think you'll need- it depends on how fast you want to get better and how much time you have to practice, but I'd say no less than 1 or 2 a month.

My best advice I can give is spend no less than 50% of your practice time on your short game. You mentioned watching youtube videos, those will be most useful for your shortgame, not your swing/long game. Throw in "putting drills" on youtube and try to make putting practice a fun game for yourself. Work on your stroke while you're watching tv at night, putt on your carpet.

You can make a lot of improvement quickly with some consistent instruction.

7/23/19 11:48 PM
2/5/06
Friction - Get lessons or practice what you learn on YouTube at the range with a camera, just to see your swing. Learn all about managing your game on the golf course.Your game, not your buddy who goes for it every hole.Like club selection, lag putting. Ect. You can send your swing to a bunch of different online forums or coaches for analysis. I used to hate golf and laughed at even thinking of playing. 10 years later going strong. Starting to break 80 at easier courses and 90 at tough ones.

Club selection!

Took me a bit for this one, ego is a bitch. Two weeks ago I was with a 90's golfer...he could pitch it 130 yards and did, ...so I'll use my pitch. Nope, over swing, chunked in the tulies.

There's no crime in clubbing up, I dropped, used my 9 and put it on the green....long putt but at least I greened it, could have saved me two strokes in the end.
7/23/19 11:51 PM
8/17/14
Matrix -
Animal Chin -
CaptainWoody -
phydeau - 

This.

Like someone using a staff bag...

or putting their clubs in backwards order in their bag...

or iron covers...

7/24/19 12:07 AM
9/11/13

The earlier you get lessons in your time learning golf the better.  You will not have developed as many bad habits that will need to be broken.  Get the lessons soon.

Also, IMHO, it’s not good to listen to 50 different videos of swing tips.  You’ll be thinking about too much shit and hit it poorly.  Go get a block of 5-10 lessons and you’ll be surprised how much better you get quickly.

7/24/19 12:08 AM
10/20/10
CaptainWoody - 
Friction - Get lessons or practice what you learn on YouTube at the range with a camera, just to see your swing. Learn all about managing your game on the golf course.Your game, not your buddy who goes for it every hole.Like club selection, lag putting. Ect. You can send your swing to a bunch of different online forums or coaches for analysis. I used to hate golf and laughed at even thinking of playing. 10 years later going strong. Starting to break 80 at easier courses and 90 at tough ones.

Club selection!

Took me a bit for this one, ego is a bitch. Two weeks ago I was with a 90's golfer...he could pitch it 130 yards and did, ...so I'll use my pitch. Nope, over swing, chunked in the tulies.

There's no crime in clubbing up, I dropped, used my 9 and put it on the green....long putt but at least I greened it, could have saved me two strokes in the end.

Yup. Ego can mess up a lot of things on and off the course. It's fun to make an ego shot though.
7/24/19 1:08 AM
10/17/09
Dryfly -
mijo - 

Wonder why people would even question taking lessons.  Professionals have a teachers and take lessons all the time.  If you want to get better or take it to the next level, Get lessons.  Your game will improve and you will become consistently better.  

I don't question lessons, I am still trying to grasp how a grown ass man can spend so much time doing something as useless as developing the skills necessary to hit a ball into a hole.

I know I am in the minority, I have many friends and family that golf. I just never have been able to wrap my head around all the time wasted just to acquire such useless skills.

These skills transfer well into absolutely nothing other than golf.

You sound fun. You can get meet at the store but you enjoy the hunt no? Golf is hard and rewarding if you enjoy it and work at it. Each their own. Your ex mary a tour pro or something?

7/24/19 5:12 AM
6/14/14

I have had lessons a few times over the years. They were all 1:1 and were mainly focused on swing issues. The pro pointed out a few key things for me to work on between each lesson rather than give me a full list of everything I was doing wrong. They used video analysis to break down my swing and compare to prod. It helped me diagnose where I was going wrong and sorted out my hook but if you don't work on it on the range then it creeps back in. 

The pro also gave tips for course management and picking the right shot for the hole etc. Really worth the money, if only I actually did what he told me, I would be hitting 14s at the open like David Duval.

7/24/19 7:10 AM
6/6/11

If you truly want to improve, you absolutely need lessons and to then go away and drill it. Same as any other sport you play to be fair. 

Golf can be sooo tempting to just pick up and go if you are already a decent standard golfer around the 10 mark. 

The guys I play with who are all playing from 3-8 handicap routinely have lessons. One of our mates who plays +2 and just recently turned back to an ammy, has a 30min session every few weeks to keep sharp. 

7/24/19 7:58 AM
1/1/01
Animal Chin - 
Mjump05 -

Thanks for all the advice. It is something I want to pursue and get really good at so it sounds like lessons might be the way to go. In the NJ for the person who asked. 

That's too much. There has to be someone in your area that's cheaper.

100-150/hr is the cost of someone teaching single digit players.

this. 

also look at clinics, group lessons and even week long golf schools that include hotel and meals, can be a very fun vacation.

7/24/19 9:20 AM
8/1/07
Darth_Vladar - 

If you truly want to improve, you absolutely need lessons and to then go away and drill it. Same as any other sport you play to be fair. 

Golf can be sooo tempting to just pick up and go if you are already a decent standard golfer around the 10 mark. 

The guys I play with who are all playing from 3-8 handicap routinely have lessons. One of our mates who plays +2 and just recently turned back to an ammy, has a 30min session every few weeks to keep sharp. 

That's interesting, I have quite a few friends that are high level and would never dream of taking a lesson...perhaps they would benefit from dropping their ego.

On a side note; I finally made my first hole in one last week...158 yds, nine iron. It was beauty!
7/24/19 10:01 AM
5/13/11

I tried 4 years of self taught, and also had the same desire as you to get really good.

Bought nice clubs, practiced a lot. Never broke 90. 

Lessons were HANDS DOWN the best thing I ever did, and I regret waiting so long as I devoloped terrible habits being self taught that took a while to overcome. 

Use a place like GolfTec or similar imo. They video the whole lesson with sensors on your hips and chest. You can spread the lessons out at your leisure to work on each lesson at the range. The entire lesson is uploaded for you online to watch overand over. I can still log in 10+ years later and watch mine. 

They put your swing on a split screen with a pro who has similar body structure and sqing type too so you can see the areas where your swing breaks down. 

Not terribly expensive. You can get a starter pack of 4 or 5 lessons for about the same price as a new driver. 

7/24/19 10:15 AM
1/3/18

If you’re new to golf, keep it simple. Avoid spending too much time with your driver at the range. Getting distance is too tempting but frustrating for new golfers. 

Focus on 7 iron to putter mostly because you gain the most strokes within 125 yards of the green and on the green itself.

Learn a good simple grip and use cavity backed irons, they help your ball go more straight, therefore are more forgiving. Blades are for veterans/pros. 

Lastly, when on the course don’t try to think too much when you’re about to swing. Clear your head and just think “Back, pause, and through.” Remember to keep your head down and not swing hard. Let the club do the work.

This should give you a decent game to the low 90s / high 80s until you are educated enough in the game to fine tune. 

7/24/19 10:22 AM
3/16/18
Darth_Vladar -

This. I haven’t been to a range in a decade. You dorks telling these guys to hit 100’s of balls every week is ridiculous. They will not get better. Take a lessen. Learn the 5 fundamentals and then play actual rounds. 

THE RANGE IS A WASTE OF TIME AND AS YOU AGE YOU ARW JUST GOING TO HURT YOURSELF. 

7/24/19 10:52 AM
5/13/11
Real Muthaphuckkin G -
Darth_Vladar -

This. I haven’t been to a range in a decade. You dorks telling these guys to hit 100’s of balls every week is ridiculous. They will not get better. Take a lessen. Learn the 5 fundamentals and then play actual rounds. 

THE RANGE IS A WASTE OF TIME AND AS YOU AGE YOU ARW JUST GOING TO HURT YOURSELF. 

His post clearly says to drill the lessons in between, which happens at the range.

At your level of experience you may not need to go to a range and drill, but to yell in all caps that a new golfer shouldn't be practicing/drilling lessons at the range is absurd. 

7/24/19 11:07 AM
3/16/15

Definitely take lessons!

Find somewhere that has group lessons or take lessons from an assistant pro.

Taking a couple private lessons cured my slice in a hurry 

7/24/19 11:12 AM
4/29/09

You really don’t need a short game lesson , just watch and practice this video over and over.  My short game is excellent after doing this last year.  Phil is a short game guru.

https://youtu.be/GhzY7TIMnMU

7/24/19 11:14 AM
2/5/06
Real Muthaphuckkin G - 
Darth_Vladar -

Bullshit.

My game has improved dramatically by going to the range, picking up tips, watching others, watching videos.....then practicing those things. Again, the guy just started, he's shooting in the 110's at least and that's probably not keeping true score for drops and shit, everything he needs to learn right now he can do on his own if he isn't a complete moron and can follow video instructions and monkey see monkey do.

I was shooting those scores too and I'm on the verge of being in the high 90's. I'm also coming from a lifetime of baseball, I played through my whole childhood, then beer league softball in my 20's/30's and I've been coaching now for a few years. Plus I was a power hitter so my muscle memory is programmed for baseball....I was able to correct it and I'm a golfer now.

Lessons are awesome, no one is putting down getting lessons from a club pro or anything, it's just that right now they are going to be teaching him shit he can actually learn on his own, when he's in his 90's like you were and like FETT_Lay'n'PrayNINJA was then those lessons give you the most bang for your buck because they can teach you things you aren't going to learn on your own or are much harder to learn from instructional videos....unless the guy has a ton of disposable income and money is no object then of course have at it, but if he's middle America like most of us he'll get more out of lessons later.
7/24/19 11:40 AM
5/13/11
CaptainWoody -
Real Muthaphuckkin G - 
Darth_Vladar -

Bullshit.

My game has improved dramatically by going to the range, picking up tips, watching others, watching videos.....then practicing those things. Again, the guy just started, he's shooting in the 110's at least and that's probably not keeping true score for drops and shit, everything he needs to learn right now he can do on his own if he isn't a complete moron and can follow video instructions and monkey see monkey do.

I was shooting those scores too and I'm on the verge of being in the high 90's. I'm also coming from a lifetime of baseball, I played through my whole childhood, then beer league softball in my 20's/30's and I've been coaching now for a few years. Plus I was a power hitter so my muscle memory is programmed for baseball....I was able to correct it and I'm a golfer now.

Lessons are awesome, no one is putting down getting lessons from a club pro or anything, it's just that right now they are going to be teaching him shit he can actually learn on his own, when he's in his 90's like you were and like FETT_Lay'n'PrayNINJA was then those lessons give you the most bang for your buck because they can teach you things you aren't going to learn on your own or are much harder to learn from instructional videos....unless the guy has a ton of disposable income and money is no object then of course have at it, but if he's middle America like most of us he'll get more out of lessons later.

My issue with waiting to take lessons is how easy it is to develop a really bad swing on your own. Then how much harder it is to overcome that bad muscle memory. 

I totally agree that RMG is way off point arguing to not go to the range. Thats absurd as a new golfer. 90% of your time as a newgolfer should be practicing and 10% playing. 

I just regret trying to be self taught for years before getting lessons. Start rightaway is my opinion. They will get your grip and set up correct, then the basic mechanix set. 

That 500 bucks in the begginer stages is way more valuable imo than buying clubs or spending it on 10 rounds of golf. 

7/24/19 11:46 AM
2/5/06
Take chipping right outside of the green. I was blading it....too long, chunking it....too short. besides the occasional lucky shot I couldn't get it pin high or anywhere that wasn't a two putt at least.

Watched some videos, one being a Phil Mickelson, practiced on the putting green a bunch after hitting the range (which is free) and boom, I'm now consistently chipping 2-3 feet makable 1 putts and even had a few chip ins. It instantly took strokes off my game.
7/24/19 11:54 AM
5/13/11
CaptainWoody - Take chipping right outside of the green. I was blading it....too long, chunking it....too short. besides the occasional lucky shot I couldn't get it pin high or anywhere that wasn't a two putt at least.

Watched some videos, one being a Phil Mickelson, practiced on the putting green a bunch after hitting the range (which is free) and boom, I'm now consistently chipping 2-3 feet makable 1 putts and even had a few chip ins. It instantly took strokes off my game.

Yeah absolutely the short game and partial swing stuff can be self taught with videos and stuff online for free, and practice. 

I am just arguing that the fundamentals of a full swing are very hard to learn on your own, and starting with lessons to have a good core foundation is the best option imo.