OtherGround Forums Buy Golf Lessons?

7/24/19 12:00 PM
5/7/10

My buddy got lessons for three hours $390. Said it completely changed his game and outlook on golf. I emailed him and he is offering three one hour lessons for $390 or a 9am-1p session for $500. This session he said well practice, play some holes then practice again. 

7/24/19 12:07 PM
2/5/06
FETT_Lay'n'PrayNINJA - 
CaptainWoody -
Real Muthaphuckkin G - 
Darth_Vladar -

If you truly want to improve, you absolutely need lessons and to then go away and drill it. Same as any other sport you play to be fair. 

Golf can be sooo tempting to just pick up and go if you are already a decent standard golfer around the 10 mark. 

The guys I play with who are all playing from 3-8 handicap routinely have lessons. One of our mates who plays +2 and just recently turned back to an ammy, has a 30min session every few weeks to keep sharp. 

This. I haven’t been to a range in a decade. You dorks telling these guys to hit 100’s of balls every week is ridiculous. They will not get better. Take a lessen. Learn the 5 fundamentals and then play actual rounds. 

THE RANGE IS A WASTE OF TIME AND AS YOU AGE YOU ARW JUST GOING TO HURT YOURSELF. 

Bullshit.

My game has improved dramatically by going to the range, picking up tips, watching others, watching videos.....then practicing those things. Again, the guy just started, he's shooting in the 110's at least and that's probably not keeping true score for drops and shit, everything he needs to learn right now he can do on his own if he isn't a complete moron and can follow video instructions and monkey see monkey do.

I was shooting those scores too and I'm on the verge of being in the high 90's. I'm also coming from a lifetime of baseball, I played through my whole childhood, then beer league softball in my 20's/30's and I've been coaching now for a few years. Plus I was a power hitter so my muscle memory is programmed for baseball....I was able to correct it and I'm a golfer now.

Lessons are awesome, no one is putting down getting lessons from a club pro or anything, it's just that right now they are going to be teaching him shit he can actually learn on his own, when he's in his 90's like you were and like FETT_Lay'n'PrayNINJA was then those lessons give you the most bang for your buck because they can teach you things you aren't going to learn on your own or are much harder to learn from instructional videos....unless the guy has a ton of disposable income and money is no object then of course have at it, but if he's middle America like most of us he'll get more out of lessons later.

My issue with waiting to take lessons is how easy it is to develop a really bad swing on your own. Then how much harder it is to overcome that bad muscle memory. 

I totally agree that RMG is way off point arguing to not go to the range. Thats absurd as a new golfer. 90% of your time as a newgolfer should be practicing and 10% playing. 

I just regret trying to be self taught for years before getting lessons. Start rightaway is my opinion. They will get your grip and set up correct, then the basic mechanix set. 

That 500 bucks in the begginer stages is way more valuable imo than buying clubs or spending it on 10 rounds of golf. 

You could be right....I'm just not convinced for me. I think I'll get more out of them once I get more consistent and shooting mid to low 90's. I'm seriously not trying to brag or sound conceited but I've always been able to pick up things fast once someone shows me, whether it's a video instruction or live. Like the last thread, I couldn't drive worth a shit remember but I was just trying it on my own, as soon as I watched some instruction videos and listened to that guy at the range I'm lightyears better...Driving, I think is where I'll need the most help though. small, little movements that I'm not going to pick up on my own have a big impact

I know how to hit my 7i 140 yards for example, if I do exactly what I'm supposed to do it's like butter, you can feel it, the divot is perfect etc. I don't know if instructions are going to help me there, I just need practice to get it consistent ...I know how and what I have to do. I'm talking straight, not shaping shots or anything...that's a whole other ballgame and my scores will be a lot lower by the time I'm learning that stuff.

Maybe it's a combo thing, get lessons for my driving and practice what I know for the short game.
7/24/19 12:21 PM
1/1/01
Animal Chin - 
CaptainWoody -
phydeau - 
Curry shoots in my mouth - 

Can’t hurt. Take a lesson then spend a shit ton of time on the range. If you hit enough balls, you will eventually figure it out. 

This.

Pro tip - At the driving range hit balls in REVERSE club order. Wedge, 9 Iron, 8 Iron, 7 Iron, etc.. At this point in your game it's more important to learn how to hit straight than long.

They say golf is a ridiculously expensive hobby, and makes "golf widows." But the fact of the matter is if you don't hit the driving range at least twice a week on top of playing 18 holes a week, then you just won't improve.

That's a Tiger thing (I watched an instructional on youtube with him) he would always start wedge first and work up.

I'll get 100 balls and do 5 each starting with my Wedge, PW, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4 fairway wood, 3W, Driver. That's 50. Then I'll start over and do 4 a piece giving me 10 extra for my Driver hitting 14 to finish ...I need more help with that right now.

That's an everyone thing.

If you go to the range and warm up with driver, someone should make fun of you

why not hit a driver? seriously we have talked a lot of golf and think we can agree that 99.8% of people do not go to the range before playing a round of golf, its cer out of the car maybe hit a few putts and go.  Might as well go to the range and hit a single nut with a driver cause that is exactly what they are going to do when they show up to the course on saturday morning.

7/24/19 12:23 PM
5/13/11
CaptainWoody -
FETT_Lay'n'PrayNINJA - 
CaptainWoody -
Real Muthaphuckkin G - 
Darth_Vladar -

If you truly want to improve, you absolutely need lessons and to then go away and drill it. Same as any other sport you play to be fair. 

Golf can be sooo tempting to just pick up and go if you are already a decent standard golfer around the 10 mark. 

The guys I play with who are all playing from 3-8 handicap routinely have lessons. One of our mates who plays +2 and just recently turned back to an ammy, has a 30min session every few weeks to keep sharp. 

This. I haven’t been to a range in a decade. You dorks telling these guys to hit 100’s of balls every week is ridiculous. They will not get better. Take a lessen. Learn the 5 fundamentals and then play actual rounds. 

THE RANGE IS A WASTE OF TIME AND AS YOU AGE YOU ARW JUST GOING TO HURT YOURSELF. 

Bullshit.

My game has improved dramatically by going to the range, picking up tips, watching others, watching videos.....then practicing those things. Again, the guy just started, he's shooting in the 110's at least and that's probably not keeping true score for drops and shit, everything he needs to learn right now he can do on his own if he isn't a complete moron and can follow video instructions and monkey see monkey do.

I was shooting those scores too and I'm on the verge of being in the high 90's. I'm also coming from a lifetime of baseball, I played through my whole childhood, then beer league softball in my 20's/30's and I've been coaching now for a few years. Plus I was a power hitter so my muscle memory is programmed for baseball....I was able to correct it and I'm a golfer now.

Lessons are awesome, no one is putting down getting lessons from a club pro or anything, it's just that right now they are going to be teaching him shit he can actually learn on his own, when he's in his 90's like you were and like FETT_Lay'n'PrayNINJA was then those lessons give you the most bang for your buck because they can teach you things you aren't going to learn on your own or are much harder to learn from instructional videos....unless the guy has a ton of disposable income and money is no object then of course have at it, but if he's middle America like most of us he'll get more out of lessons later.

My issue with waiting to take lessons is how easy it is to develop a really bad swing on your own. Then how much harder it is to overcome that bad muscle memory. 

I totally agree that RMG is way off point arguing to not go to the range. Thats absurd as a new golfer. 90% of your time as a newgolfer should be practicing and 10% playing. 

I just regret trying to be self taught for years before getting lessons. Start rightaway is my opinion. They will get your grip and set up correct, then the basic mechanix set. 

That 500 bucks in the begginer stages is way more valuable imo than buying clubs or spending it on 10 rounds of golf. 

You could be right....I'm just not convinced for me. I think I'll get more out of them once I get more consistent and shooting mid to low 90's. I'm seriously not trying to brag or sound conceited but I've always been able to pick up things fast once someone shows me, whether it's a video instruction or live. Like the last thread, I couldn't drive worth a shit remember but I was just trying it on my own, as soon as I watched some instruction videos and listened to that guy at the range I'm lightyears better...Driving, I think is where I'll need the most help though. small, little movements that I'm not going to pick up on my own have a big impact

I know how to hit my 7i 140 yards for example, if I do exactly what I'm supposed to do it's like butter, you can feel it, the divot is perfect etc. I don't know if instructions are going to help me there, I just need practice to get it consistent ...I know how and what I have to do. I'm talking straight, not shaping shots or anything...that's a whole other ballgame and my scores will be a lot lower by the time I'm learning that stuff.

Maybe it's a combo thing, get lessons for my driving and practice what I know for the short game.

I think you're just in a totally different place having been playing for years. You're probably right on what's best for you given your fundamentals are already there. 

A n00b who is just starting and already has a nasty slice is going to develop bad habits without lessons. I found myself starting with that n00b slice,  that I learned bad band-aid "solutions" to get away with that amatuer slice/improper mechanics. 

The lessons transformed my swing into a draw, with my "miss" being a duck hook. Completely revamped my bad mechanics. Wish I started with the lessons in the 1st place. 

7/24/19 12:29 PM
4/26/10

When I played back in the day I used to read a lot of golf books and mags. I was decent enough to have fun and not be discouraged. Got competitive with friends in my 20s, so I took some lessons to get an edge.

That guy mind fucked me so bad all I did was think about EVERYTHING when I played after that. I wasn't as relaxed as I formerly was, and my game really payed for it.

7/24/19 12:35 PM
5/13/11
Believe in the Power of One -

When I played back in the day I used to read a lot of golf books and mags. I was decent enough to have fun and not be discouraged. Got competitive with friends in my 20s, so I took some lessons to get an edge.

That guy mind fucked me so bad all I did was think about EVERYTHING when I played after that. I wasn't as relaxed as I formerly was, and my game really payed for it.

Bad coaches can be a terrible detriment. That's why I chose GolfTec over some course "pro" just watching me in real time and trying to tell me a bunch of shit. 

The videos and geometry don't lie. The staff at GolfTec let the videos and angles paint the picture, and can slow everything down frame by frame. 

(I don't work there i swear, lol.)

7/24/19 12:39 PM
2/5/06
Goddamnit ....now I don't want to be at work. I'm leaving early and doing 9 lol
7/24/19 12:40 PM
5/13/11
CaptainWoody - Goddamnit ....now I don't want to be at work. I'm leaving early and doing 9 lol

Hahaha I've been off the last 2 days but Mom's in town for a funeral and to visit....I'm bummed I won't be playing or hitting the range at all this week. 

7/24/19 1:04 PM
8/17/14
Real Muthaphuckkin G -
Darth_Vladar -

Sorry G but this is some bad advice, I think OP (or anyone thats a true beginner) will be pretty discouraged if they take to the course too early. A little range time and effective practice (this part is really important) will go a long way on the course in the long run. 

Everyone here should have to post their handicap with their advice

7/24/19 1:37 PM
5/13/11

Not an official USGA handicap, but all I use personally.
7/24/19 1:39 PM
5/7/08
Real Muthaphuckkin G -
Darth_Vladar -

Your advice is "The range is a waste of time" and you expect to be taken seriously? Lol

7/24/19 1:50 PM
2/5/06
How do you figure out your handicap?

I haven't been playing for years NINJA, I've golfed once or maybe twice a year for a few years. Last year I did a little more with maybe going a handful of times. This year, since early June is when I've been taking it seriously, I've been out a ton since then.
7/24/19 1:57 PM
5/13/11
CaptainWoody - How do you figure out your handicap?

I haven't been playing for years NINJA, I've golfed once or maybe twice a year for a few years. Last year I did a little more with maybe going a handful of times. This year, since early June is when I've been taking it seriously, I've been out a ton since then.

I just use that App. It's called GolfLogix. 

The free version keeps your handicap for you and has all the major courses in the country for GPS as you're playing. Gives you a nice layout of the hole, and distance to the center of the green for free. 

If you pay annually you then can tap on spots in each hole to figure out distances to certain hazards etc, and they have sweet new topographical maps of the greens where you can simulate your upcoming putt and have it show you the break(s). 

I only do the free one now because I have a sweet rangefinder, and I kinda feel like the mapping of the greens is close to cheating. 

7/24/19 2:05 PM
5/14/08
Animal Chin - 
CaptainWoody -
phydeau - 
Curry shoots in my mouth - 

Can’t hurt. Take a lesson then spend a shit ton of time on the range. If you hit enough balls, you will eventually figure it out. 

This.

Pro tip - At the driving range hit balls in REVERSE club order. Wedge, 9 Iron, 8 Iron, 7 Iron, etc.. At this point in your game it's more important to learn how to hit straight than long.

They say golf is a ridiculously expensive hobby, and makes "golf widows." But the fact of the matter is if you don't hit the driving range at least twice a week on top of playing 18 holes a week, then you just won't improve.

That's a Tiger thing (I watched an instructional on youtube with him) he would always start wedge first and work up.

I'll get 100 balls and do 5 each starting with my Wedge, PW, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4 fairway wood, 3W, Driver. That's 50. Then I'll start over and do 4 a piece giving me 10 extra for my Driver hitting 14 to finish ...I need more help with that right now.

That's an everyone thing.

If you go to the range and warm up with driver, someone should make fun of you

Unless youre Fred Couples lol

7/24/19 2:08 PM
2/5/06
FETT_Lay'n'PrayNINJA - 

The free version keeps your handicap for you and has all the major courses in the country for GPS as you're playing. Gives you a nice layout of the hole, and distance to the center of the green for free. 

If you pay annually you then can tap on spots in each hole to figure out distances to certain hazards etc, and they have sweet new topographical maps of the greens where you can simulate your upcoming putt and have it show you the break(s). 

I only do the free one now because I have a sweet rangefinder, and I kinda feel like the mapping of the greens is close to cheating. 

I was doing one called golfshot. It didn't have a handicap though..that I didn't see anyway
7/24/19 2:11 PM
5/13/11
CaptainWoody -
FETT_Lay'n'PrayNINJA - 

I was doing one called golfshot. It didn't have a handicap though..that I didn't see anyway

Never tried any competitors apps. But I do like ththe golfLogix one a lot. Some pop ups as you play trying to get you to use their "premium" version, but not overly annoying. 

Edited: 7/24/19 2:18 PM
2/5/06
Does this one track a distance of a drive? Golfshot is cool because after you tee off you can press track and when you get to your ball it tells you the exact yardage
Edited: 7/24/19 2:25 PM
5/13/11
CaptainWoody - Does this one track a distance of a drive? Golfshot is cool because after you tee off you can press track and when you get to your ball it tells you the exact yardage

For 39 bucks a year you can track every club you hits actual distance, as well as that putting thingie, and the ability to tap anywhere on the hole to get distances to and from. I used to use this for every shot (except under 100yds and stuff) and it develops an average distance for each of your clubs and makes recommendations on upcoming shots based on that. 

Or you could just use the free one, see the total distance of the hole, then do a wee bit of math when you get to your drive. B-)

Now that I have a sweet rangefinder I only use it to track my handicap, and stats like fairways GIR and putts per round. Which is all free. 

28 days ago
5/7/10

Doing my first hour Aug 4th at 9am. Will post results! 

28 days ago
5/13/11
Mjump05 -

Doing my first hour Aug 4th at 9am. Will post results! 

Nice. My advice after the lesson is to not play an actual round of golf for a couple weeks. Just use the driving range to work on what they tell you. 

Real grass > mats if you have a local range with real grss hitting areas. 

26 days ago
4/29/09

Finally broke 80 this year lol then yesterday shot 77 haven’t uploaded yet.
26 days ago
2/5/06
^NICE!
19 days ago
5/7/10

Had my first lesson.... Definitely worth it. Realized my fundamentals were all off. Swaying my body too much, not leaning on the right leg etc etc. After one lesson I went to the driving range right after and was hitting the 9 iron 150 yards with great loft. Excited for my next lesson. I would definitely recommend lessons. 

19 days ago
2/5/06
I had a 97 on Friday...my best score to date after basically 2 months of really playing.

Then Sunday, I was on pace to blow that out of the water, low 90's or even high 80's. Then on the back 9 I had two fucking holes where I shit the bed. an 8 on a par 4 which was shitty but then I follow that up with a damn 12 on a par 5. I even had a great drive, then got stuck in the woods and just couldn't get it out.

I was pissed...but I was able to calm myself down and I had birdie putts on the last 4 holes. I didn't convert them but at least had par or a just a bogey because 2 of them were very long.

Ended up with a 103.

I'm getting there though, I want to break 90 before the year is done, that's my goal.
19 days ago
7/15/11
Mjump05 -

Had my first lesson.... Definitely worth it. Realized my fundamentals were all off. Swaying my body too much, not leaning on the right leg etc etc. After one lesson I went to the driving range right after and was hitting the 9 iron 150 yards with great loft. Excited for my next lesson. I would definitely recommend lessons. 

Repetition is key. Hit a lot of balls on the range. Not fast though. Take your time and think about the key points in your lesson. That’s a good length on your 9 iron. Length should not be an issue for you.