OtherGround Forums Buy Golf Lessons?

8/14/19 11:54 AM
5/13/11
Throwin'Knuckles -
FETT_Lay'n'PrayNINJA -

I played better on the back. took the 50$ match. I am "M".

That's pretty good shooting.

Thanks. :) started out on fire on the back but had that 7 blow up. Front I had 2 triples that really fucked with me. Overall I am happy with an 86...only because I won 50 bucks. Lol

8/14/19 11:56 AM
5/13/11
CaptainWoody -

Well fuck man. Your fairways and greens stats are on point. Looks like your bigfest area fro improvement is the same as mine. Putting. You get that shit down to the mid 30s and you're in the 80s all day. 

Hard to motivate to just drill putting for hours but Ive been trying to drill more and its helping. 

8/14/19 12:02 PM
8/1/07

I got my first hole in one last month...158 yds with a 9 iron!!

8/14/19 12:08 PM
2/5/06
FETT_Lay'n'PrayNINJA - 
CaptainWoody -

Well fuck man. Your fairways and greens stats are on point. Looks like your bigfest area fro improvement is the same as mine. Putting. You get that shit down to the mid 30s and you're in the 80s all day. 

Hard to motivate to just drill putting for hours but Ive been trying to drill more and its helping. 

Lots of 3 putts yesterday. That par 3 in the video, I pushed it right..sitting on the furthest edge of the green and 3 putted for a bogey...ugh.

I'm going to finish out this season and practice more the last 2 months (or less, no knowing when winter will hit in MN) ...but I'm on track, even if I don't make it in the 80's I'm consistently in the 90's now.

Then I'm starting early next year and going to Golf Tec.
8/14/19 12:08 PM
2/5/06
TeamRenzo - I got my first hole in one last month...158 yds with a 9 iron!!

That's awesome man congrats!
8/14/19 12:20 PM
7/30/06

Been thinking about getting some lessons myself as I've recently been getting on the course more.

Took 3 lessons a few years back and it was ok. Did a swing analysis and was told that I have a good swing (on plain), good club head speed and that I release the club head very well. The "pro" said he generally spends a lot of time to teach newbies that kind of release.

My problem is consistency. I dont always fuck up the same way, lol. It's hard to improve if not playing regularly and it's a fucking expensive hobby.

I always flirt with 100, generally 97-102 range and have been thinking about getting another lesson pack of 4 lessons for 350 Canadian pesos. My best ever round was a 91 and I want to get back on that path.

Playing again this Sunday and I am targeting 95 as a goal.

Good thread.

8/14/19 12:39 PM
2/5/06

"My problem is consistency. I dont always fuck up the same way"

Yep...me too. I'll pull it on mid range irons 4 times, then I'll adjust for it....and push it. I don't know if I'll pull or push it from one swing to the next

8/14/19 12:48 PM
5/13/11
CaptainWoody - "My problem is consistency. I dont always fuck up the same way"

Yep...me too. I'll pull it on mid range irons 4 times, then I'll adjust for it....and push it. I don't know if I'll pull or push it from one swing to the next

Fucking army golf. I had that problem with my driver yesterday. I think part of it was me trying to "keep up" with that punk ass kid roping it 320-350 every damn tee shot. I was swinging way to hard and fast. 

8/14/19 12:53 PM
1/30/03
FETT_Lay'n'PrayNINJA -

Fucking army golf. I had that problem with my driver yesterday. I think part of it was me trying to "keep up" with that punk ass kid roping it 320-350 every damn tee shot. I was swinging way to hard and fast. 

So this kid is longer than Cameron champ?

8/14/19 1:14 PM
5/13/11
Animal Chin -
FETT_Lay'n'PrayNINJA -

We are at 6000' elevation. 

8/14/19 1:51 PM
8/17/14
Animal Chin -
FETT_Lay'n'PrayNINJA -

haha cmon AC you know if you had a dollar for every person that claimed to you that they drive it 300+ you'd have a lot of dollars

8/14/19 1:52 PM
1/30/03
FETT_Lay'n'PrayNINJA -
Animal Chin -
FETT_Lay'n'PrayNINJA -

But 350? 

Where is he playing? Mackenzie tour? Korn Ferry?

8/14/19 2:14 PM
5/13/11
Animal Chin -
FETT_Lay'n'PrayNINJA -
Animal Chin -
FETT_Lay'n'PrayNINJA -

But 350? 

Where is he playing? Mackenzie tour? Korn Ferry?

He is playing in qualifiers for the korn ferry, around the southwestern states. 

He showed me his stat tracker thing on his phone and he averages 325 on his drives, but that's mostly all here at elevation. 

10% is what i seem to lose when I go back to sea level, so thats just under 300 for him. 

We had a downhill 385 hole yesterday with no wind and he came up 15ish yards short of the green. Hits a smooth draw every time like butter. 

8/14/19 5:29 PM
1/30/03
hitler drove a prius -
Animal Chin -
FETT_Lay'n'PrayNINJA -

haha cmon AC you know if you had a dollar for every person that claimed to you that they drive it 300+ you'd have a lot of dollars

True.

Ninja, q school is coming up soon. Is he trying to get in that way?

8/14/19 9:34 PM
5/13/11
Animal Chin -
hitler drove a prius -
Animal Chin -
FETT_Lay'n'PrayNINJA -

True.

Ninja, q school is coming up soon. Is he trying to get in that way?

I don't know tbh. Someone at my store sold him a car and we were bullshitting in the showroom. Only played 2 rounds with the kid.  Seems legit but we all love to exaggerate. He hits the ball as far as I'm saying. That's all I can say for sure. I don't personally think he is quite good enough for q school from thise 2 rounds. 

8/15/19 5:19 PM
5/13/11

Shot an 85 to follow up my 86. 

Mediocre, but happy with 32 putts each round. That's big for me. 

Definitely need to get in better shape endurance wise. 

8/16/19 11:40 PM
2/5/06
FETT_Lay'n'PrayNINJA - 

Awesome! Keep it up.....mediocre my ass.

I'm wondering if I'm doing too much. I'm overthinking every damn shot now. Where I used to hit my irons pretty good, it's now a crap shoot and I've developed a really bad slice on my drive. Even trying to correct for it has been bad. I shot a 99 today. It was a course I've never been to, so not knowing the layout etc. counts for a little but the front 9 was horrendous, I couldn't even make good contact.

Do you think maybe I'm hitting too much? Should I take like 3 or 4 days off?
8/16/19 11:51 PM
2/5/06

I caught up to a group of three around the 16th hole. There was people behind me too so they said I should just jump in with them. One "kid" in the group was fucking good. He was in his early 20's I'd say. His drives were awesome, perfect little draw and hitting them 290-300...when my shitty slice drive was maybe pushing 220. I've hit them that distance too when the stars align but I can't get it consistent.

First time I've ever seen an eagle putt...he put it 15 feet from the pin on a par 5 on his 2nd shot. He missed the putt but did get the birdie.....in the 3 holes I played with them he had 2 birdies and a par.....I bogey'd all 3 lol.

8/17/19 12:34 AM
7/30/06

a tee time booked for Sunday. I'll hit a bucket of balls tomorrow to work on some things. Hoping for 95 or better which would be my best round of the year so far.

Thinking of hitting a pitch and putt near my place one evening this week for some short game work.

8/17/19 9:14 AM
5/13/11
CaptainWoody -
FETT_Lay'n'PrayNINJA - 

I'm wondering if I'm doing too much. I'm overthinking every damn shot now. Where I used to hit my irons pretty good, it's now a crap shoot and I've developed a really bad slice on my drive. Even trying to correct for it has been bad. I shot a 99 today. It was a course I've never been to, so not knowing the layout etc. counts for a little but the front 9 was horrendous, I couldn't even make good contact.

Overthinking is an issue for sure. I always try and just have one singular swing thought over the ball. You may just be taking all you're learning and reading and trying to cover it all in your head at address. Try singling out one positive thing and taking less time. Ive recently eliminated practice swings on a lot of shots and have been more consistent. 

My swing thought lately has been "finish left" which is just speaking to comoleting the swing all the way through the ball and finishing my swing with a full turn to the left and trying to pose like a pro on the follow thru. 

8/17/19 10:06 AM
11/11/13

Can't wait to get back into it. When I was mid to late 20s I was playing/practicing 4-5 times a week. Was consistently shooting high 70s. If I was in the 80s it was a bad day. Wife and I had kids, and the golf went non existent. All 3 boys playing rep hockey, which is insanely time consuming. I went some years without even playing a single round.

Boys are 14, 11 and 9 now, so I'll be getting back into it full time in about 5 years. Can't wait. I can still go out and hack it up, but it's rough being on the first tee/fairway etc. and literally having no idea what my miss will be that day. 

Few things better than a purely struck golf shot.

8/17/19 1:30 PM
2/5/06
Isaac Fookin' Nootin -

Can't wait to get back into it. When I was mid to late 20s I was playing/practicing 4-5 times a week. Was consistently shooting high 70s. If I was in the 80s it was a bad day. Wife and I had kids, and the golf went non existent. All 3 boys playing rep hockey, which is insanely time consuming. I went some years without even playing a single round.

Boys are 14, 11 and 9 now, so I'll be getting back into it full time in about 5 years. Can't wait. I can still go out and hack it up, but it's rough being on the first tee/fairway etc. and literally having no idea what my miss will be that day. 

Why wait? You have sons to go out and play with. 

I'm not taking today off lol. Going to hit a bucket and then play my executive....my 12 year old son will be with me. He hasn't even been feeling well but I mentioned golf and he jumped up.

8/17/19 1:32 PM
2/5/06
FETT_Lay'n'PrayNINJA -
CaptainWoody -
FETT_Lay'n'PrayNINJA - 

Overthinking is an issue for sure. I always try and just have one singular swing thought over the ball. You may just be taking all you're learning and reading and trying to cover it all in your head at address. Try singling out one positive thing and taking less time. Ive recently eliminated practice swings on a lot of shots and have been more consistent. 

My swing thought lately has been "finish left" which is just speaking to comoleting the swing all the way through the ball and finishing my swing with a full turn to the left and trying to pose like a pro on the follow thru. 

I'll try that. I need to get good and lathered up before as well...going to the first tee cold doesn't work for me. 

8/17/19 1:36 PM
11/11/13
CaptainWoody -
Isaac Fookin' Nootin -

Why wait? You have sons to go out and play with. 

I'm not taking today off lol. Going to hit a bucket and then play my executive....my 12 year old son will be with me. He hasn't even been feeling well but I mentioned golf and he jumped up.

Well, for one I work insane hours in the summer so I can take all the time off needed in the winter for their respective seasons. I travel lots for work as well. And 2, between the 3 boys, we are easily 30k+ per year in fees/travel etc. So essentially no time/money for golf at the moment, unfortunately. 

8/18/19 8:31 PM
7/30/06

I went to the range yesterday and hit 100 balls. Was frustrating as hell and I didn't hit a lot of good shots and had a lot of trouble even picking the ball up off my driver.

Played a round today and had a goal of 95 or better and actually shot a 94 which made me pretty happy. Best round of the year and 3 shots off my best ever round.

Butchered a few holes and my short game needs some work for sure. Hit some good and clean but yardage were way off.

Second hole was a par 5, downhill and from an elevated tee but I poked one 350 yards out. 4th hole was a flat 321 yard par 4 and I drove it on to the fringe, a foot off the green.

Plenty of horrendous shots too but I'm happy with it and can't wait to get out again and break that 91.