OtherGround Forums CV19=Greatest overreaction/con in American history

Edited: 21 days ago
4/20/11

COVID-19 will go down as the largest, costliest, and most bizarre overreaction in American history.

This is a highly contagious, though relatively mild flu with a 99.30% survivability rate.

Crippling the economy is a laughable and shocking response to something so mild.

This isn't the Spanish flu. There was a World War going on during that outbreak. They barely even knew what they were dealing with. They barely understood germs or how they spread. Social distancing wasn't feasible even if they thought to do it.They barely had any treatment modalities. They barely had any medicines. They could barely communicate to society broadly with any immediacy due to primitive communication methods at that time. We've made drastic strides in the past 100 years.

There are many deadly viruses around us in the world. The old and infirm are always more at risk of death. It's sad but it's a fact of life - unless you view the world through the lens of a sheltered child with no understanding of reality.

Are people not aware that up to 50,000,000 people get the generic flu in the US - PER YEAR? Or that roughly 50,000 people die from the flu each year? Why doesn't the media cover the spread of the generic flu each year in vivid detail? People wouldn't be able to do ANYTHING without the fear of death. OMG, the sky is falling!!!

Additionally the "ground zero" outbreak area ALWAYS has a high rate of death. This is because the most malignant strains of the virus kill - but then those hosts can't be in society spreading it once they are dead. So the most virulent, deadly strains die out quicker and the moderate strains spread more widely, people catch it, gain an immunity, and move on with life. Not to mention in modern society there are thousands of researchers learning how to treat it better with each passing day once it's on their radar.

There are studies indicating that the majority of infected people are completely asymptomatic or just have mild flu-like symptoms. Just like ANY OTHER flu.

Rhetorically every person I have seen on the news who has had COVID said that they were asymptomatic or had generic flu like symptoms - then it passed within a few days. Just like any other flu.

This flu has probably been on American shores since December but it was not detected. Many people probably had it and just assumed they had an ordinary flu. They just toughed it out and were fine within days.

People have a very tenuous grasp upon statistics and true infection rates. Now that they are testing for it more frequently it will seem like infection rates are EXPLODING. The media will ride this hype train as much as they can. 

In truth many, many more people than the official statistics show have probably had this and it just passed with barely a mention.They didn't run to the emergency room, never got tested, etc.

Not to mention if you could test every person and know who had it your relatively fatality percentage goes WAY down to be (relatively) mundane levels.

There's great concern about the necessity of ventilators. However I've heard that ventilators are needed in very few cases - and there are speculations that they barely provide any benefit anyway.

Then there's the issue of the healthcare system being overwhelmed. Well since this is the outbreak du jour every person who thinks they have it is running to the hospital. Anyone the government learns about who has it is basically being forced to go to the hospital. Whereas if this was treated more like a regular flu situation people just stay home from work for a few days like normal. If the media wasn't portraying this as if everyone was going to die it would be barely an issue.

Also since this is on everyone's radar tons of resources are going to be diverted to supply for the healthcare system to treat as many patients as possible.

Strange things are afoot. Politically, economically, socially, etc.

Trump can't say this is not as big of an issue as the media is making it out to be. He can't come out and say that the sky isn't falling. He would be pilloried for it.

Each liberal I've spoken to about this seems oh-so-ready to try to pin this on Trump. As if he was not prepared for it or he was supposed to stop it. Or that he lied about it? What the fuck are these people on about? Is Trump supposed to be some demi-god superhero who rescues the world all of a sudden?

BIll DeBlasio is trying to shut everything down in NYC. Even the governor who I loathe, Andrew Cuomo, responded to him in the media basically saying "dude, wtf are you talking about?" As someone mentioned in another thread there are political factors to such decisions. DeBlasio bungled  a snowplow situation (along with almost everything else) so little weasels like him use these "end of world" type situations to try to assert themselves as some sort of savior. He's a pathetic little cretin and so are the other politicians like him across the country.

Not to mention some segments in society (typically the sky is falling, climate change types) are acting like acknowledging the truth about COVID-19 being relatively similar to the generic flu is like saying Santa Claus isn't real. I've spoken to a few of these types and they basically act like you're the anti-Christ for such a suggestion. I had one girl block my number when I expressed my exasperation about the response. She said she wanted nothing to do with someone who doesn't appreciate the hysteria the media fed to her.

American isn't Italy. Italy has one of the oldest societies on Earth - which means more people at risk. They have huge swaths of agrarian countryside. They aren't nearly as modern as America. They don't have our capabilities. They have a greater transmission rate due to their cultural practices of kissing each other on the cheeks, etc. 

The other huge issue is that this creates a precedent for future outbreaks which is very dangerous. Are we going to shut down the global economy each time this happens? Blow trillions in tax payer dollars? Create massive unemployment for you and your neighbors? Cripple people's 401k's? 

The truth is that this hysterical reaction will have a very real cost which will largely be economic. Huge unemployment for people who had their paycheck-to-paycheck blue collar jobs just a few weeks ago.401k's destroyed. Old people losing their jobs (our parents) who will not be able to get back into the workforce as they're replaced by younger, cheaper employees.

Tell old and immuncompromised people to stay home and work remotely. You can't shut down the entire economy over this. It's a horrific overreaction that is causing enormous harm to an enormous number of people.

I am going to make a prediction that yes, people will die from this. It's tragic. However people die from a LOT of things. A LOT of viruses. A LOT of different strains of flu.

However the sky isn't going to fall. This isn't going to be the Spanish flu part deux. This is going to pass without too much health calamity. 

Yet there's no win. Liberals will claim Trump didn't do enough to save people's lives. Liberal mayors like DeBlasio will say "Look at me, I saved you!" for shutting down NYC. The economy will suffer severely due to the overreaction.

Lastly - we aren't globally "all in this together." Russia, China, Iran, etc, don't give a fuck about our long term success.

WAKE UP!

21 days ago
8/27/11

Yeah. Something seems fishy. Time will tell. 

21 days ago
1/1/01

lmao you sound like my crazy conspiracy theorist brother.

He's a prepper and has been ready for something like this forever.  But he's also a CT'er.   Now that the actual shit hit the fan scenerio is taking place that he's prepared for, the CT is that the virus doesn't exist or that the response is a complete overreaction.

21 days ago
6/11/10

Hey everyone OP is so woke!! Don’t we all wish we could be so woke like OP?

21 days ago
1/1/01
Charles Barkley - 

what seems fishy about the pandemic?

21 days ago
1/1/01

I hope we’ll look back at this as an overreaction.   Time will tell.

21 days ago
11/24/10

Aye I side more with the “it’s an overreaction” group but I prefer shit going down this way so we can see what it’d be like if this was another Spanish flu.

Safe to say, we weren’t prepared but at least when shit happens again I’ll think back on this. With that said, I imagine things will go back to the way things were by end of May.

21 days ago
1/1/01

We will see; I hope OP is right but the progression of this in other countries is fucking scary and we have MUCH more of an "I do what the fuck I want" attitude than the nationalist spirit other countries had that imposed FAR more stringent procedures and still had it kill thousands.

We will see; I think it will be really bad but not TEOTWAWKI

21 days ago
5/13/11

You already made the exact same thread yesterday, with a different title. It died quickly after you got called out bipartisanly for being an idiot. 

Are you a masochist desperate for negative attention? 

21 days ago
1/1/01
Zonion - 

Unless OP knows more than the epidemiologists, draconian steps are needed to keep the virus from spreading like wildfire.   If we can keep it moderately contained until treatement or a vaccine is delivered then what we've done might seem like an overreaction to anyone who doesn't understand the numbers or exponential growth rates.

If we only have 100,000 deaths from this in the U.S. before a vaccine is delivered there will be many here right now who will say the U.S. overreacted.

21 days ago
5/13/11
Soup and Beer -
Charles Barkley - 

I think he means more the response in relation to government control. Just my opinion though. 

21 days ago
8/7/12

Play it safe. I for one would rather err on the side of overeaction then to be a sitting duck because a few people cant come to the realization that this virus would have a much larger impact then if we did nothing. 

Its also those same people who are down playing, ctering this thing that will be the cause of failure if this thing gets out of hand. Entire countries are locking down their borders because of this thing. It may seem like an extreme reaction now but i dont think we want to experience the situation if they all have chosen to do nothing. Just because it has not yet amassed itself here in the states doesnt mean that its not kicking the shit out of other countries. 

Dont be a dumbass. Im rooting for you to be right but im also fully aware that its a stacked deck against the naysayers. Keep in mind that if this virus is left to its own devices hospitals will be over run by the amount of patients that they will have to deal with. Not to mention those patience that have to seek care for other ailments. 

We want to keep the wheels slowly grinding without having to put the brakes on life as we know it. I would rather be cautious then be caught with our pants down as this thing tries to fook humanity out of existence. 

21 days ago
4/4/12

I've been saying the same. I think in a month or 2, the world will look back. Thinking fuck, we really fucked the economy over for that.

21 days ago
1/1/01
FETT_Lay'n'PrayNINJA - 
Soup and Beer -
Charles Barkley - 

I think he means more the response in relation to government control. Just my opinion though. 

If people think the containment needed to slow down the virus is a government plot to gain authoritarian control, they are going to be in for a rude awakening.  Even if such a conspiracy were to exist, what would government gain out of it if the result is the complete collapse of the national and global economy?

Edited: 21 days ago
4/20/11
FETT_Lay'n'PrayNINJA -
Soup and Beer -
Charles Barkley - 

Exactly.

This is my point. 

I completely acknowledge it's spreading.

Just like the flu spreads.

To 50 million people each year.

Killing 50 thousand.

Yet not a word is said about it outside of "Welp, that happened again - as it ALWAYS does. Every year."

My point is that we can't shut down the fucking economy over it. This is going to cost us in a HUGE way. 

It's already cost JUST the American taxpayers 1,500,000,000,000.00 in stimulus. $1.5 TRILLION!

All bars and restaurants are closed near me. People are losing their jobs left and right!

Some places are going to have to close permanently. 

For a flu with a 99.30% survivability rate!

Yet people (typically liberals) keep conflating the point and saying that I'm crazy because we're all gonna die! WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

21 days ago
1/1/01
Willin - 
FETT_Lay'n'PrayNINJA -
Soup and Beer -
Charles Barkley - 

Exactly.

This is my point. 

Killing 50 thousand.

Yet not a word is said about it outside of "Welp, that happened again - as it ALWAYS does. Every year."

My point is that we can't shut down the fucking economy over it. This is going to cost us in a HUGE way. 

It's already cost JUST the American taxpayers 1,500,000,000,000.00 in stimulus. $1.5 TRILLION!

All bars and restaurants are closed near me. People are losing their jobs left and right!

Yet people (typically liberals) keep conflating the point and saying that I'm crazy because we're all gonna die! WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Politicians saw their opportunity to pounce and exercise power.

It's an election year so they got zero resistance from Trump and they all fucking piled on.

This is insanity on a scale we haven't seen before.
21 days ago
4/20/11
billyball2 -
Willin - 
FETT_Lay'n'PrayNINJA -
Soup and Beer -
Charles Barkley - 

Exactly.

This is my point. 

Killing 50 thousand.

It's an election year so they got zero resistance from Trump and they all fucking piled on.

Precisely the point regarding the political aspect.

NOTHING the weasel liberals have tried has really worked.

They WILL utilize this flu and gin up a ton of criticisms about it then try to pin it on Trump.

All the while exclaiming "Look, I shut down our local economy (placing tens of thousands in unemployment using draconian government threat of force) to save our city from this (relatively mild) flu. I saved you all (at the cost of your present and future ability to afford anything) while Trump bungled everything!"

21 days ago
3/28/02

Its interesting how these stressful events bring out the mentally unstable conspiritards in spades

21 days ago
5/13/11
Willin -
FETT_Lay'n'PrayNINJA -
Soup and Beer -
Charles Barkley - 

Exactly.

This is my point. 

Killing 50 thousand.

To the opposite side of the coin, you parroting false and misleading connections to a normal flu, that we've had vaccines and proven treatments for for decades, is just as ridiculous, but also much more dangerous. 

This isn't just a flu, and people who think like you are putting a lot of others in danger. 

Based on the data and facts we do have at thus early stage, an "overreaction" is much better than an underreaction (although not an actual word, you get the point). 

21 days ago
10/22/02
Zonion -

I hope we look back at this and realize that individually and nationally we should be better prepared for these kinds of things.

21 days ago
2/14/03
R0M -

I've been saying the same. I think in a month or 2, the world will look back. Thinking fuck, we really fucked the economy over for that.

Or maybe we are getting down to the brass tacks and seeing what things are actually worth.

21 days ago
5/13/11
Willin -
billyball2 -
Willin - 
FETT_Lay'n'PrayNINJA -
Soup and Beer -
Charles Barkley - 

Exactly.

This is my point. 

Killing 50 thousand.

Precisely the point regarding the political aspect.

NOTHING the weasel liberals have tried has really worked.

They WILL utilize this flu and gin up a ton of criticisms about it then try to pin it on Trump.

All the while exclaiming "Look, I shut down our local economy (placing tens of thousands in unemployment using draconian government threat of force) to save our city from this (relatively mild) flu. I saved you all (at the cost of your present and future ability to afford anything) while Trump bungled everything!"

Ahhhhhh so you expose your true sheepish partisanship. 

Republican POTUS, and Republican controlled Senate have the power and authority to make these decisions you're crying about, but if course when a poster aligns with you that politicians are taking advantage, you immediately default to reeeeing about liberals. Lol

21 days ago
5/8/09

If the whole problem is a lack of ventilators then they should be mass producing them like there's no tomorrow.  

21 days ago
6/11/10
Willin -
FETT_Lay'n'PrayNINJA -
Soup and Beer -
Charles Barkley - 

Exactly.

This is my point. 

Killing 50 thousand.

Dude you either really don’t get it, or you’re trolling. This isn’t the same as the flu. You comparing it to the flu solidifies your stupidity on this issue. No one said everyone is going to die. No one is suggesting that. Everything that’s needed to have been said has been said about this already. 
Im one of the few that thinks there will always be other evil factions at work to exploit this crisis but it is still a real crisis. To ignore that and not be better informed on that is irresponsible and ignorant at this point.

21 days ago
4/20/11
FETT_Lay'n'PrayNINJA -
Willin -
FETT_Lay'n'PrayNINJA -
Soup and Beer -
Charles Barkley - 

Exactly.

This is my point. 

Killing 50 thousand.

To the opposite side of the coin, you parroting false and misleading connections to a normal flu, that we've had vaccines and proven treatments for for decades, is just as ridiculous, but also much more dangerous. 

This isn't just a flu, and people who think like you are putting a lot of others in danger. 

Based on the data and facts we do have at thus early stage, an "overreaction" is much better than an underreaction (although not an actual word, you get the point). 

It's a flu that spreads a bit easier and has a 99.30% survivability rate.

In fact it seems that they have already figured out several ways to effectively treat it.

Of course they don't have vaccines for it. From my understanding there are thousands of strains of flu spreading around each year. Your magical "vaccines" are just a selection of the predicted handful of most dominant strains that will spread in a comin season. So you get a vaccine for a handful - yet there are thousands more you can still catch.