OtherGround Forums Can anybody make it to the end

29 days ago
10/8/13

Try this game out and report your results. I went almost 5000 years and I didn't win. It's frustrating.

https://mkremins.itch.io/epitaph

29 days ago
2/27/13

Made it just past 250 years 1st go, trying to do better.

29 days ago
10/8/13

Welp that was quick.

Sofvekogkeg

We first became aware of the Sofvekogkeg in 2777. They reside on the lush planet Kog?va in the Kefkesalvol system. They are diminutive, humble, and sturdy.

The Sofvekogkeg have begun to cultivate crops. They are especially fond of a kind of tasty mushroom known as val?ve.

In 2783, a combination of poor weather and pestilence caused a near-total failure of the val?ve crop. Being overreliant on val?ve cultivation for food, the Sofvekogkeg then suffered a massive famine which brought about the end of Sofvekogkeg civilization.

29 days ago
5/24/17

Bobqowb

We first became aware of the Bobqowb in 2237. They reside on the verdant planet Fqohqi Fqahqo in the Bowt?xobxobqo system. They are polite, tenacious, and avaricious.

The Bobqowb have learned how to catch water-dwelling creatures such as the fqohqo, which is now a staple part of the Bobqowb diet.

As the Bobqowb population increased, they began to overfish the waters of Fqohqi Fqahqo. By 2279, they had driven the fqohqo species to extinction. The ensuing famine brought about a total collapse of Bobqowb civilization.

29 days ago
1/12/10

Fyakam

We first became aware of the Fyakam in 2644. They inhabit the abundant planet Fbakam in the Fyabam system. They are nomadic, wise, and duplicitous. 

The Fyakam use stone tools for many things. This has dramatically improved their efficiency in hunting the wild bamfam.

In 2739, a massive volcanic eruption filled the skies of Fbakam with ash and blotted out the sun. The ensuing volcanic winter threw the planet's delicate ecosystem wildly out of balance, bringing about the end of Fyakam civilization.

29 days ago
5/12/03

I killed off like seven civilizations. They kept getting hit by comets. 

29 days ago
4/20/11

WTF is this. How do you play? 

Edited: 29 days ago
10/8/13

Holy shit in about 6000 total years gametime I finally did it. They developed tech pretty fast and I have no idea how random any of it is. I feel like there's things you can do to avoid extinction but I can't say that with confidence.

We first became aware of the Fwicki?digdi in 2927. They reside on the temperate planet Dri?dig?i Zici in the Ki?zil?i system. They are possessive, proud, and kind.

In 3429, the Fwicki?digdi joined us.

29 days ago
1/1/01

Subbed for later 

29 days ago
3/13/18

It doesn’t seem to like my phone. I can’t scroll and continue. It also seems to add new civilizations before I’ve killed off others

29 days ago
1/1/01
AmazinGracie - 

I killed off like seven civilizations. They kept getting hit by comets. 

Mine too.  A bit unrealistic.

29 days ago
2/27/13

Comets, setting fire to the forests, so many illnesses.

The two favouitites of mine so far were thrmonuclear war triggered by a malfunctioning early warning computer, and a huge burst of gamma radiation from space.

It seems like a good start is fishing, then agriculture, then astronomy. As soon as possible writing and mathematics.

I let them get fire, sailing, construction & architecture themselves.

God damn it, in the time of writing this 3 have died to illness lol.

1/1/01

I think the program just randomly choses a disaster as your progress.  I don't think it's designed to avoid extinction events if you chose the right branch.

29 days ago
11/10/18
The_Pundits_Ghost -

It doesn’t seem to like my phone. I can’t scroll and continue. It also seems to add new civilizations before I’ve killed off others

Same

29 days ago
2/27/13

Aaaarrgh!

"In 9097, an artificially intelligent agent with command authority over the military forces of a major Sulbflabe nation spontaneously turned against its Sulbflabe masters. Within weeks, the thoroughly unprepared Sulbflabe were all but exterminated in a seemingly endless wave of attacks by brutally efficient military machines."

They had developed interplanetary space travel, and bloody Skynet killed them! They were so close!

10/8/13
Banjaxo -

Aaaarrgh!

"In 9097, an artificially intelligent agent with command authority over the military forces of a major Sulbflabe nation spontaneously turned against its Sulbflabe masters. Within weeks, the thoroughly unprepared Sulbflabe were all but exterminated in a seemingly endless wave of attacks by brutally efficient military machines."

They had developed interplanetary space travel, and bloody Skynet killed them! They were so close!

From my experience you should get writing/printing press/mass media as early as possible and avoid genetics for as long as possible. I wonder if opening traits have anything to do with it or if everything is just random. Some civs seem to develop tech faster than others which is probably an assigned trait when they are discovered. I've had civs go 600+ years without getting very close and the one I got to make it to the end was only in 502 years.

29 days ago
2/27/13

I try to give fishing, agriculture, astronomy, writing, toolmaking and mathematics early on. Optics seems like a good one too.

Then I focus on anything that will increase disease resistance, like alchemy (for medicine) and plumbing (for sanitation).

Later I try to get telegraphy, printing press, mass media in the hope that they will develop a single united government before developing nukes (as otherwise they always seem to go full retard and nuke themselves).

Lastly, I try to focus them on space exploration as fast as pos, hoping they don't develop their computers too quickly (so they don't build Skynet).

It's that last one that has screwed over my best attempt, so that's the latest addition to my strategy.

Anything I'm missing?

29 days ago
4/30/13

Damnit, game is so addicting and so hard 

29 days ago
2/27/13

I feel like gamma ray bursts, comets and planetoid collisions are too frequent!

29 days ago
2/27/13

One civilisation have started hunting something they call "nérxfwuxnréxvé".

I feel like they will surely die of twisted tongues soon.

29 days ago
11/19/06

Doesn’t work on phone?

29 days ago
2/27/13
Throwin’Knuckles -

Doesn’t work on phone?

I'm on PC so I can't help there.

29 days ago
2/27/13

The comet / planetoid / asteroids are starting to get seriously annoying now, they have wiped out 8 of the last 10 civilisations. That really needs to be toned down a bit.

29 days ago
11/19/06
Banjaxo -
Throwin’Knuckles -

Doesn’t work on phone?

It won’t let me scroll down. So after a new civilization pops up I can only add to it.

29 days ago
4/30/13
Throwin’Knuckles -
Banjaxo -
Throwin’Knuckles -

Doesn’t work on phone?

It won’t let me scroll down. So after a new civilization pops up I can only add to it.

I had the same problem, use their browser option or whatever it works fine on phone