OtherGround Forums Canada’s 17th PM John Turner Died Today.

9/19/20 6:42 PM
11/8/09

He had the second shorted term as Prime Minister but was part of Pierre Trudeau’s cabinet for a long time. Many say he quit the Liberal party because of always butting heads with Trudeau. 

He was Canada’s justice minister when Canada decriminalized homosexuality and during the FLQ crisis.

When he was liberal leader he fought tooth and nail with Mulroney over free trade (that’s what I remember him for mostly). 

He had an interesting and meaningful life. He loved Canada and did his best to get and do what he thought was best for Canadians. 

9/19/20 6:47 PM
10/6/15
King Trav -

He had the second shorted term as Prime Minister but was part of Pierre Trudeau’s cabinet for a long time. Many say he quit the Liberal party because of always butting heads with Trudeau. 

He was Canada’s justice minister when Canada decriminalized homosexuality and during the FLQ crisis.

When he was liberal leader he fought tooth and nail with Mulroney over free trade (that’s what I remember him for mostly). 

He had an interesting and meaningful life. He loved Canada and did his best to get and do what he thought was best for Canadians. 

Not born in Canada.

9/19/20 6:52 PM
11/8/09

Some of the best most proud Canadians I know weren’t born in Canada. 

Turner was born in the UK. I believe his father  was British and his mother who was Canadian moved the family to Canada after his death. His mother was the first woman chancellor of UBC. 

9/19/20 6:52 PM
5/23/07
AlxinTO - 
King Trav -

Not born in Canada.

even more impressive imo

9/19/20 9:10 PM
1/1/01

Got to shake his hand when I was in grade 5 and was in Ottawa for Canada day, thought it was a pretty big thing. My Prog Con father made fun of me for it, even brought it up last year lol

9/19/20 9:12 PM
12/18/07

Any dying wishes..?

9/20/20 3:56 AM
6/22/03

The dude set the Canadian record for the 100 metre sprint and was a Rhodes Scholar.

9/20/20 8:29 PM
1/18/03
Ed Broadbent called him and Mulroney the "Bobsey Twins of Bay Street" because they were so similar policy wise.

As justice minister he was responsible for the first of many attacks on law abiding gun owners.

Was not a fan.

But RIP anyways.

9/20/20 8:42 PM
3/13/18

Seemed like an ornery old drunk for a long time. Met him many many times. 

9/20/20 8:44 PM
11/8/09
The_Pundits_Ghost -

I sometimes wonder if people will say that sort of thing about me. 

Edited: 9/20/20 10:12 PM
11/8/09
effinggoof - Ed Broadbent called him and Mulroney the "Bobsey Twins of Bay Street" because they were so similar policy wise.

As justice minister he was responsible for the first of many attacks on law abiding gun owners.

Was not a fan.

But RIP anyways.

Yeah. I was reading about some of the gun stuff last night. Interesting life. Politically he seemed to alway come in second a lot.  Always the bridesmaid never the bride...

I wonder if that lead to his drunken orneriness....?

9/20/20 9:29 PM
3/13/18
King Trav -
The_Pundits_Ghost -

Lol. Really though. A large, hunched over frail man with a red face and fairly grumpy old hands man. But I didn’t know him ‘well’ personally 

9/20/20 10:13 PM
11/8/09
The_Pundits_Ghost -
King Trav -
The_Pundits_Ghost -

Lol. Really though. A large, hunched over frail man with a red face and fairly grumpy old hands man. But I didn’t know him ‘well’ personally 

Like I said, I wonder if coming in second so often jaded him.