OtherGround Forums Cancer sucks and life's a bitch

9 days ago
1/1/12

Im about to go see my big sister for the last time. About a year ago she was diagnosed with stage 4 brain cancer. After a year of trial studies at some of the best colleges in the nation it's spread to her spine and shifted her brain to one side. 

Here's the kicker. 

She's 43

Doesn't drink, smoke or do drugs

Works out and lives a completely vegan lifestyle since high school. 

Doesn't believe in violence, she's religious and has never hurt or stole from anyone. 

Live your life the way that makes you happy because at the end of the day you're not garunteed the next.

As a father to a 4 year old little girl this has me tore up for our dad. He's literally going through my worst fear in life. 

9 days ago
7/16/13

Man, that's so awful. Sorry to hear and I wish you well. 

9 days ago
8/20/03

F*ck cancer!

9 days ago
7/30/14

Man, my heart goes out to you brother. Lost my girlfriend at 26 to cancer. It’s hard to witness. I have a daughter now and I can’t imagine how her dad felt. Immeasurable strength. Thoughts are with you and your family. May you sister always be remembered as the great woman you just described and not for the cruel illness that stole her.

9 days ago
11/15/04

It saddens me greatly to read that.

I wish peace upon you and your family

9 days ago
12/14/15

So sad. Thoughts are with you. 

9 days ago
10/16/15

I’m sorry. Thoughts and prayers to you and your family.

9 days ago
7/12/13

My condolences sir.

9 days ago
6/27/05

I’m sorry brother....nothing I can say other than I hope your pain heals somehow...

9 days ago
11/21/15

I just went through something similar with my mom.  Her funeral was on monday.  6 weeks ago her doctors indicated that she had 3 to 12 months to live and now she is gone.  She was also very religious, never smoked, exercised daily, etc

9 days ago
12/22/10

I'm sorry, Sir. 

9 days ago
11/7/07
deepest sympathies
9 days ago
1/1/12

Thanks for the love.

Just to give you an idea, her husband and her have the same issue with something in their bones. They elected not to have kids due to it being transmitted through birth so they could help stop the disease. 

When she found out she had cancer they were in the middle of building a nice house on the lake. She elected to do the free trial studies even though they're well off with great insurance. She did that for 2 reasons.

One was her attitude that if those studies help someone later then she played a role. Two she wanted to make sure her husband could finish the house and live comfortably with someone else without treatments draining them financially. 

The level of selfless she showed is rare and has taught me things that will carry on with me the rest of my life

9 days ago
5/23/12

that is horrible :(

Edited: 9 days ago
1/1/12
cfochs -

I just went through something similar with my mom.  Her funeral was on monday.  6 weeks ago her doctors indicated that she had 3 to 12 months to live and now she is gone.  She was also very religious, never smoked, exercised daily, etc

Reminds me of when my best friend died and his brother who's a warrant officer in the Marines gave a speech. The story of Johnny. 

Johnny goes in for a check-up and says doc I wanna live to 100. 

Doc says ok let's go through this checklist and see what your odds are. 

You smoke, no.

Drink, no.

Fight, no.

Do drugs stay up late, no.

Eat meat and junk food, no. 

Fuck around with multiple women, no.

Doc says well Johnny it looks like your odds are pretty good to live to 100, but why the fuck would you want to?

^thats verbatim and nobody was gonna change his wording anyway.

9 days ago
3/16/15

Stay strong for your sister and your family 

9 days ago
3/9/13

Sorry buddy. 

9 days ago
10/6/17

My condolences and Much love. 

9 days ago
8/1/13

Prayers for you and your family

9 days ago
7/31/19

Sorry op

9 days ago
4/13/12

sorry fister.  that sucks.  my sincere condolences.

9 days ago
11/17/10

sorry to hear OP

well wishes and your sister sounds like an awesome person

9 days ago
5/28/12

Sorry fister. Thank you for sharing, your post puts things into perspective. Best wishes to you and the family

9 days ago
1/1/01
fuck Cancer
9 days ago
12/29/18

I’m sorry for what your sister and family are going through. Sending prayers that she finds grace in this time and that there is an answer to all your questions and all of this one day