OtherGround Forums Can't be friends with a Republican

7 days ago
8/30/03

I've seen a lot of lefties saying shit like this.  They are unaware of the fact that are outright saying they cannot tolerate those who don't share their values.  And if that is the case, they are living proof that "diversity as an end unto itself" is untenable.  They can claim "diversity is strength" all they want, but where the rubber meets the road, they prove without a doubt that they don't actually value diversity at all - they demand homogeneity in their own circle.

You might be inclined to say but-but-but the right is just as intolerant!  The problem is the right never claims diversity is strength.  The right recognizes that success is largely achieved despite diversity, not because of it.

All I'm saying is, through their own actions, the left debunks their ideology.

That is all, carry on gents.

7 days ago
4/11/14

Doesn’t matter to them at all.

Cognitive dissonance is their mother’s milk.

7 days ago
1/1/01

They gone.

7 days ago
12/23/02

President Trump said:
"Let's blow up the White House !" Oh wait, that was Madonna.
President Trump said:
"Lock a 10 year old in a cage with child molesters." Oh wait, that was Peter Fonda about Barron Trump.
President Trump said:
"We need another John Wilkes Booth!" Oh wait, that was Johnny Depp
President Trump said:
"I fantasize about standing over Donald Trump Jr.'s dead body!" Oh wait, that was Tom Arnold
President Trump:
*Holds up a bloody, decapitated head* oh wait, that was Kathy Griffin
President Trump:
*Shoots a likeness of Snoop Dogg in a music video, has him in a body bag on his album cover* Oh wait, that was Snoop Dogg about Trump
President Trump said:
"I'd like to take Biden behind a barn to beat him." Oh wait, that was Joe Biden about Trump
President Trump said:
"I dream of punching him in the face." Oh wait, that was Corey Booker, US Senator
President Trump said:
"Harass the staff and supporters in public and refuse to serve them."
Oh wait, that was Maxine Waters, congresswoman
But according to the left wing media/DNC talking points, it's Trump with the hateful rhetoric... all in the name of TOLERANCE...
.... But they’re all about peace and coming together, right? ??’

7 days ago
8/20/03

Edited: 7 days ago
1/7/09

To those people, Republican = racist. The two words are equivalent and interchangeable.

If an SS solider who murdered thousands of Jews wanted you to be tolerant of the diversity of his position, would you? Republicans are equivalent to the SS soldier. I mean that literally. These are people who believe that speech is actual violence. Meaning that if you say, for example, "there's a biological difference between a woman and a transwoman" that is not just an opinion, it is literally inflicting physical harm and death upon transwomen. That's a major part of why they openly oppose freedom of speech(along with the oppressor-oppressee and white supremacy power dynamics that are at the core of everything critical theory).

You're trying to understand them through an assumed set of core "American" values like race/sex/orientation/etc-blind equality and freedom of speech and individual liberty, but they have an entirely different set of beliefs and values about how government and society should function. 

They have no principles and no internal logic because subjectivity is elevated and objectivity is shut out. For example, if you were analyzing the issue of police on black violence, statistics and data analysis would be entirely ignored in favor of the subjective "lived experience" of whichever black person's opinion they deemed worthy of answering the question.  I'm just making this up for example purposes, but if data showed that police killed black people in 0.001% of all encounters but random individual John Doe felt targeted and unsafe as a black man living in America, the data would not be used to assuage his fears but the inverse would be true and his opinion would be found to confirm the existence of a police genocide over any and all data to the contrary. Even the question of which subjective opinion should be taken as truth is answered subjectively....obviously(except maybe to Biden) not all black people think alike. So if a black person like John McWhorter comes along with a different lived experience or opinion that doesnt fit the desired conclusion, it's just explained away, for example as internalized white supremacy.

James Lindsay has a great book called Cynical Theories if you want to understand more.

Of course this isn't the view of all Democrats, but it definitely is the position of the upcoming base of progressives/leftists. 

7 days ago
3/20/15
Captain Canuck - 

I'll give ya the full version to make you happy again....

7 days ago
1/1/01

We should all just get a shlong

7 days ago
11/7/12

I know so many. My own father in law once told me "I wouldn't even step foot in the house of a Republican." 

I've always been openly conservative, but when I registered Republican he stopped talking to me. At first I was upset because he was the closest I had to a father. Then I realized I didn't need people like that in my life. Eventually he came around and started talking to me again, but things haven't been the same and I'm ok with that. 

Both he and my mother in law even went as far as accusing me of forcing my wife and kids (like I'm some lifetime movie psycho husband) to have the same values lol. They can't accept the fact that their daughter is not only married to a Republican, but is also one herself. 

I also had a childhood friend reach out to me once "concerned" because I was "too right leaning". He was convinced I was brainwashed. This is a guy that draws cartoons for a living, divorced, no kids, rides a bike, has colored hair, and dresses like he's a silly cartoon character himself at age 40. We don't talk anymore. He went off on me and started with the insults because I'm a sellout. Apparently I can't be Latino and Republican.

All that said, our best friends are liberal as fuck. We don't ever talk politics when we're all together. The only time we talk politics is when it's just us guys and we're drinking. It has never EVER resulted in an argument. It's always laughs, insults and good times.

7 days ago
1/7/09
NiteProwleR -

We should all just get a shlong

I agree. It's only possible through real life in person interaction though. Social media makes it nearly impossible to bridge the gap and extremely easy to drive the wedge deeper.

There are a small fringe of the fringe that can't be reached, but aside from that I really think most people would get along if they actually got to know each other as humans. There's a reason why Daryl Davis is so successful at what he does.

Instead, people demonize the "other" by isolating themselves from any actual contact or interaction with them and instead filling in the blanks through confirmation bias to come up with an extremely narrow hyperbolized version of what that person represents. The left does it with trump supporters just as the kk does it with black people. 

I just had a conversation with someone who was proclaiming how horrible "the Republicans" who stormed the Capitol were. I'm like, those people fucking HATE the Republican party. This person has not spoken to a single person who was at that protest/riot, didnt have the slightest clue about who they were, didnt listen to a single thing any of them had to say, but had no problem casually defining and characterizing.  It goes both ways though, plenty of people around here calling anyone and everyone "Democrats." Wacky times

4 days ago
12/6/14
ChimpFL -

President Trump said:
President Trump said:
"Lock a 10 year old in a cage with child molesters." Oh wait, that was Peter Fonda about Barron Trump.
President Trump said:
President Trump said:
"I fantasize about standing over Donald Trump Jr.'s dead body!" Oh wait, that was Tom Arnold
President Trump:
President Trump:
*Shoots a likeness of Snoop Dogg in a music video, has him in a body bag on his album cover* Oh wait, that was Snoop Dogg about Trump
President Trump said:
"I'd like to take Biden behind a barn to beat him." Oh wait, that was Joe Biden about Trump
President Trump said:
"I dream of punching him in the face." Oh wait, that was Corey Booker, US Senator
President Trump said:
But according to the left wing media/DNC talking points, it's Trump with the hateful rhetoric... all in the name of TOLERANCE...

And how many of those things happened?

4 days ago
6/26/02

4 days ago
1/30/16

The party of inclusion, diversity, and acceptance, as long as you agree with them.

No bigger hypocrite.

Edited: 4 days ago
12/17/06

Threads like this make me think of two OGers in particular.

Oldnslow and lionsoul.

Both are left-leaning and I disagree with both politically from time to time but respect the hell out of them just the same. Reasonable people that can put aside differences and just be reasonable. 

Salute to both of these fine men. And honestly, I wish lionsoul would come back. His absence has not gone unnoticed.

4 days ago
9/8/02
iagowasframed - 
ChimpFL -

President Trump said:
President Trump said:
President Trump said:
President Trump said:
President Trump:
President Trump:
President Trump said:
President Trump said:
President Trump said:

And how many of those things happened?

None of it, but it did add fuel to the fire that led to the summer riots and political upheaval. Events that, in totality, are 1000x worse than what a handful of people did at the capital.

All of it's wrong. I can say that. But the left defended their actions all summer and the last 4 years.

The double standard is indefensible by any thinking person.
4 days ago
12/21/13
ChimpFL -

President Trump said:
President Trump said:
President Trump said:
President Trump said:
President Trump:
President Trump:
President Trump said:
President Trump said:
President Trump said:

The left consistently projects all of the evil in their hearts onto you.

4 days ago
1/1/01
JohnanthanDoe -

I've seen a lot of lefties saying shit like this.  They are unaware of the fact that are outright saying they cannot tolerate those who don't share their values.  And if that is the case, they are living proof that "diversity as an end unto itself" is untenable.  They can claim "diversity is strength" all they want, but where the rubber meets the road, they prove without a doubt that they don't actually value diversity at all - they demand homogeneity in their own circle.

You might be inclined to say but-but-but the right is just as intolerant!  The problem is the right never claims diversity is strength.  The right recognizes that success is largely achieved despite diversity, not because of it.

All I'm saying is, through their own actions, the left debunks their ideology.

That is all, carry on gents.

I’ve heard this shit from conservatives for years. I see you’re projecting. 

4 days ago
1/12/10

I’m right of center libertarian, my best friend is the opposite. We don’t see each other often because of scheduling. We went out for lunch for his birthday and bullshitted for 4 hours. Politics came up a little, but just a little. Everything else was just.....bullshitting. 

Your political party doesn’t define you. 

4 days ago
3/28/02
ChimpFL -

President Trump said:
President Trump said:
President Trump said:
President Trump said:
President Trump:
President Trump:
President Trump said:
President Trump said:
President Trump said:

REEEEEEEEE

4 days ago
3/21/09
*I can't be friends with anyone that wants to restrict FREE SPEECH. Period. And anyone that thinks it is acceptable to shut down opposing websites because of flimsy excuses is a fucking clown. You will be next, they won't stop with us.
4 days ago
11/18/15

I had a heated political debate with one of my good friends back in the stone age.  she was pissed that I supported Obama.  I told her at the time that I was a Democrat and i wanted to win, and though at the time Hillary would have been fine I felt Obama was a shoe in.

we aren't friends anymore

4 days ago
12/5/17

This is profound stuff, John. 

Really summed up the hypocritical left and offered a genuine defense of not liking motherfuckers as long as we keep it real.

4 days ago
10/31/19

Imagine if Republicans were guilty of half the things they're accused of. Thered be alot of bodies in the streets and alot of scared Democrats hiding in their homes out of fear being shot or sniped by some militia cook.

3 days ago
9/24/19

3 days ago
6/1/10

That is so weird to me.

People acting like they are in a gang for life over how they want to be taxed