7 days ago
4/1/10

Pasta, egg, guanciale, cheese.

Nothing else.

You can add lots of stuf and it will taste good, but it isn't carbonara anymore.

I made thi sbatch on Friday, it was delicious.

7 days ago
4/1/10

1lb pasta (in the pic I used DeCecco spaghetti)

However much guanciale you want (pancetta or bacon if not)

4 egg yoks, 2 whole eggs.

Parmesan

Black pepper

Salt the hell out of the water for the pasta. I like to use grey sea salt. Bring to a boil.

Chop up your pork and brown it in a dutch oven, then take it out. Drain all the grease except for about 3 tablespoons.

Whisk your eggs and yolks, and add parmesan cheese and blakc pepper. I used about 2oz cheese.

Boil pasta till just under al dente, throw in the dutch oven with one cup of salty pasta water. Toss around until al dente.

Take off the heat.

Add 1/4 cup pasta water to the egg and cheese and slowly drizzle into pasta as you keep mixing, add more hot salty pasta water if it neds an adjustment.

Mix in some guanciale.

Top with more guanciale, cheese, black pepper.

Voila.

7 days ago
4/1/10

No love for Carbonara?

7 days ago
9/1/10

My go to dish for a quick meal, easy and tasty, good thread :-D

7 days ago
4/1/10
snailis -

A good play on it (but not carbonara)

Is to toss the pasta with just two egg whites, parmesan, black pepper, and some guanciale.

Nest it, and rest the yolks on top.

7 days ago
5/14/08

That looks fantastic! Carbonara is my favorite meal hands down. Its my bday meal that is still made by my mom to this day. I am getting better at making it myself but have never been completely satified with my own creation. I mess one part up it seems everytime like a dummy. I need to find Guanciale as well. The little Italian grocery store didnt have it the last time I went.

When I was in Italy earlier this year I had it at least once a day in Rome. It was basically pasta for all 3 meals for 2 weeks. I only took a break from it for certain things like to try a pizza or Florentine steak.

7 days ago
4/1/10

I believe the Italian phrase used for the play on carbonara I just described translates to : "Pasta as the coalman's wife makes it."

Edited: 7 days ago
4/1/10
Submissable -

That looks fantastic! Carbonara is my favorite meal hands down. Its my bday meal that is still made by my mom to this day. I am getting better at making it myself but have never been completely satified with my own creation. I mess one part up it seems everytime like a dummy. I need to find Guanciale as well. The little Italian grocery store didnt have it the last time I went.

When I was in Italy earlier this year I had it at least once a day in Rome. It was basically pasta for all 3 meals for 2 weeks. I only took a break from it for certain things like to try a pizza or Florentine steak.

If you aren't against mail ordering, Vermont Butcher Shop has the best pancetta I have ever had, even better than I have had in Italy. It is ridiculous. Their coppa is amazing as well and the prices aren't bad.

www.vermontbutchershop.com

Also, when you have issues, just play with the water. Tempering the egg and cheese mix with 1/4 cup of the hot pasta water keeps ir from curding and keeps the cheese from getting gummy. Then you can always adjust the texture by adding more water so it doesn't get gummy.

7 days ago
5/24/17

If my grand mother had wheels she would be a bike.

Hahahaha

Edited: 7 days ago
4/13/12

I love it!  i usually use pancetta.  my mom made a killer one with bacon, onion, and cooking sherry (no cheese) the NYT published in the 60s.  it's not 'real carbonara' but we at the hell out of it as kids. 

my mom passed away 15 years ago but i still make her version sometimes and the smell makes me tear up occasionally thinking of her.  for me, it's one of the most visceral aromas i can think of.

oh, and if you put peas in it, you can go fuck yourself.

7 days ago
5/14/08
Zned -
Submissable -

If you aren't against mail ordering, Vermont Butcher Shop has the best pancetta I have ever had, even better than I have had in Italy. It is ridiculous. Their coppa is amazing as well and the prices aren't bad.

www.vermontbutchershop.com

Also, when you have issues, just play with the water. Tempering the egg and cheese mix with 1/4 cup of the hot pasta water keeps ir from curding and keeps the cheese from getting gummy. Then you can always adjust the texture by adding more water so it doesn't get gummy.

Thanks for the link and the tip. I think your tip will help a ton. The issue mainly is that the sauce isnt as thick or clinging to the pasta as well as I want. Im usually too worried about curdling. Ill give that a try.

7 days ago
7/31/15

Hey Zned,

Got a good Alfredo sauce recipe kickin around?

Mine is something like (a serving for 2 - 3):

1/2 to 3/4 cup heavy cream

3 - 4 tbsp. butter

3 cloves garlic

1/2 cup - 3/4 cup parmesan cheese

1/2 tbsp. - 3/4 tbsp. of lemon juice

1/4 tsp. lemon rind

1/8 tsp. (or less) nutmeg

S&P to taste

I know I'm being a bit blasphemous adding so many additions (nutmeg, lemon juice and zest), but I enjoy the bit of citrus and finish of nutmeg in my sauce.  That said, I'm open to hearing about the traditional ways and you're the man for Italian cuisine, so let's here it.

7 days ago
1/1/01

Whole eggs?  I use only yolks. 

mark

7 days ago
1/1/01
Zned -
snailis -

Is to toss the pasta with just two egg whites, parmesan, black pepper, and some guanciale.

Processed ham or fuck your bicycle. 

7 days ago
4/1/10

I stay traditional with Alfredo and use the raceip as Alfredo di Lelio, who is credited with inventing the dish.

Butter.

Parmesan.

Maybe a grind of black pepper or grate of nutmeg on the top.

I make the noodles with all egg yolks and 00 flour.

I love Alfredo.

Here is mine, made at home:

7 days ago
5/10/08
Zned - 

No love for Carbonara?

Its one of my favorites... looks good brah!

7 days ago
1/1/01
ziggystardust -
Zned -
snailis -

Lol @ fuck your bicycle. 

mark

7 days ago
4/1/10
Mark1 -
ziggystardust -
Zned -
snailis -

Lol @ fuck your bicycle. 

mark

Weird thing to say, my bike is a blur in the back of the photo.

7 days ago
4/1/10

"alla gricia" is similar too, except it just has pecorino, guanciale, and black pepper.

Here I made it with a rigatoni type shape, but made with the pasta dough of traditional garganelli with pecorino romano and nutmeg in the pasta dough.

7 days ago
12/1/03
Prefer pasta arrabiata
7 days ago
1/23/19

Op knows his shit. I’ve been using panchetta, will try the pig cheeks now. 

7 days ago
1/1/01

This is tjmitch approved Deygo food 

7 days ago
9/23/07
I use the same ingredients, but employ a double boiler technique when stirring the pasta and egg mixture.

I put it in a stainless bowl over the boiling pasta water and toss.

I like my guanciale a bit more cubed over the thin crunchy ones you have in your first pic.
7 days ago
12/14/00

Never made carbonara, but will give it a shot!

7 days ago
10/2/12

I can tell you’re a fucking carbonara nazi. Well, guess what?! I add a little cream to my egg mixture!