OtherGround Forums Climate "Experts" 0-41 With Doomsday Predictions!

9/22/19 3:33 PM
7/12/03
angryinch - Anyone who thinks humans can't affect the climate or the planet in general in other ways obviously doesn't know how the great dust bowl happened.

Not a good analogy.
9/22/19 3:34 PM
3/14/04
pcuzz - 
angryinch - Anyone who thinks humans can't affect the climate or the planet in general in other ways obviously doesn't know how the great dust bowl happened.

Not a good analogy.

Sure it is.
9/22/19 4:12 PM
6/22/03
ziggystardust - 
Lazarus -
ziggystardust - 
Lazarus -
ziggystardust - 
Lazarus -
MattyECB - 

One of your headlines: Only Anti-Science Suckers Believe Climate Change Hysteria. 

As much as I dislike an appeal to authority, it's factual that the scientific community is virtually in universal agreement over anthropogenic global warming so this is just factually incorrect and retarded... Like most of your posts. 

Ironically, there is disagreement of the exten of human contribution and the modeling and degree of severity. There are disagreements and nuance in the community and as an easy mental exercise, you could just cut out all extreme outliers of, "the world is ending," and, "everything is fine" and you'd be left with an incredibly strong body of evidence showing humans are clearly impacting our temperature, and that this needs to be addressed.

As you indicated, the only real consensus is that humans are contributing to climate change. And you agree that there is legitimate debate over how severe the effects will be. It will (probably) be bad in areas like the Middle East, Africa, and the pacific islands. But lots of areas will be totally fine. Cold countries like Canada will probably benefit from it.

Hence, the widespread hysteria doesn't match the scientific consensus in any way. Which is kind of OP's point - fuck the doomsday predictions.

OP's point is that climate change, if it happens at all, is not caused by humans, because Big Industry sponsored articles tells him so and it makes him feel good to have the opposite opinion of liberals. 

You don't think there's need for widespread hysteria because only parts of the world will be fucked? You think you have a refugee problem now? You think there's stagnant economic development now? 

Besides, it's not just the areas you pointed out. Check what other parts of the world are on the same latitude as the Mid East. Then check coastal areas in general, Netherlands specifically, that are threatened as well. The Gulf Stream might not support Northern Europe's climate as much as it does today. When permafrost thaws in Siberia you run the risk of releasing additional greenhouse gases, creating a self generating reaction that humans can't affect.

Basically, we're up for some world altering changes and the Tragedy of the Commons indicates that we won't do enough about it. 

Ahh. The refugee boogie man, economic stagnation AND the runaway greenhouse effect all in one post. Impressive. You could get a job manufacturing hysteria.

Yes, I could. I understand how people like OP works and how you trigger them emotionally. 

But in this instance I'm only posting the logical conclusion of your statement that it will probably be bad in areas like the Mid East, Africa and the Pacifics. (And then I added the runaway greenhouse effect). 

I don't understand how one can make the statement you did and then conclude there's no need to be highly concerned. 

If we stick to the statements that I made, we can agree that it will likely be bad for some parts of the world. So yeah, there are global concerns. But we don't know how much concern (that's highly debatable) and we're not the ones who will suffer the most.

If you want to treat this issue as an ultra-priority in the name of saving India and the Middle East, or for reasons of ethics or international relations, then fine. But that's not the goods we are being sold. We are being bombarded with doomsday predictions and descriptions of climate change as an "existentialist threat". It's just not true.

You go from saying there's a debate to stating the alarmism isn't true. That doesn't correlate with the debate that is going on. Almost all research indicates we will severly disrupt Earth's ecosystem. The question discussed is how soon and how f-cked we are (if we don't do enough, which we won't).

Even accepting your premises of a low impact, you can't have effects around the equator without having effects on coastal areas. If it's warmer around the equator it's warmer around the polar ice caps as well. I just don't see how you think your country won't be affected. 

The moral of the story about the boy who cried wolf wasn't that wolves don't exist. It's that no one believes you when it's actually coming. 

Many things that are said about global warming - such as the runaway greenhouse effect that you mentioned or the descriptions of the problem as an "existentialist threat" - are simply not true. Yet many politicians and activists continue to push disproven ideas like the runaway greenhouse effect, and continue to call it an existentialist threat. That is false alarmism.

I live in Canada. I look forward to Canada becoming the bread basket of North America, not having 6 months of snow, and seeing our northern areas becoming accessible. Unfortunately, even under the most alarmist models, we'll never have palm trees.
9/22/19 4:32 PM
1/1/01

Don’t forget Obama and his prediction for coast cities flooded,  but he still buys a coastal house. What a lying jerk

9/22/19 9:32 PM
1/1/01

9/22/19 9:35 PM
1/25/04
Tim Duncan - 

Don’t forget Obama and his prediction for coast cities flooded,  but he still buys a coastal house. What a lying jerk

Magically, climate change will not affect the elite. It's the rest of us that will be under water if we don't pay our carbon tax!

Edited: 9/22/19 9:37 PM
2/4/09

Everyone will probably say I'm crazy but if there's anything I've been seeing lately is that we are more likely to be hit by a comet and die than we will before man made climate change.... 

Huge asteroid that narrowly missed Earth ‘slipped through the net’, Nasa emails reveal

The largest asteroid to pass as close to the Earth in a century “slipped through” Nasa’s detection systems, internal emails reveal.

Named 2019 OK by scientists, the asteroid nearly passed by undetected as it came five times closer to Earth than the moon, documents obtained by Buzzfeed via freedom of information requests revealed.

It was first detected by a Brazilian observatory on 24 July just hours before coming within roughly 73,000km of Earth. Nasa’s failure to spot the 100-metre wide space rock highlighted longstanding concerns about a lack of US government funding for asteroid detection efforts.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/science/asteroid-nasa-near-miss-earth-emails-2019-ok-a9113846.html

maybe we should redirect our funding to some agencies that might be able to see something coming, lol 

9/22/19 9:58 PM
2/9/12
Huntsman -

I have survived the cold war, the hole in the ozone layer, the millennium bug, global cooling, mad cow disease, acid rain, 2012, global warming, Ebola, Zika virus, Iraq's WMDs, peak oil and even 3 years of president Trump.

Maybe "climate change" will be the one to finally get me, unless the plastic straws get me first.

Post of the year right here

9/22/19 9:59 PM
7/16/17
Altofsky -
thehoodedwonder139 -
Eskimo -
thehoodedwonder139 -

Has the thought never occurred to you people that maybe just maybe, some of the environmental protections that have been put in place to prevent these cataclysms, or the incentives companies had to go green, or the breakthroughs in clean energy have all done their job?  Maybe all the states,companies,and countries that put the work in and made the investments in better more environmentally friendly tech did its job?

Chalk up another liberal victory!!! 

Not a liberal.  However a healthier environment is a victory for everyone regardless of your political leanings.

Explain.

What wonderful bits of the environment will I have that I don't already?

I live in the mountain woods. It's beautiful up here. Quite healthy, teeming with life of all types. What more will I see if we follow said climate plans?

Thats a pretty self explanatory statement.  I can repeat it for you if you want?  A healthier environment is a victory for everyone regardless of political leanings.

9/22/19 10:01 PM
3/14/04
kinson - 
Huntsman -

I have survived the cold war, the hole in the ozone layer, the millennium bug, global cooling, mad cow disease, acid rain, 2012, global warming, Ebola, Zika virus, Iraq's WMDs, peak oil and even 3 years of president Trump.

Maybe "climate change" will be the one to finally get me, unless the plastic straws get me first.

Not really. He forgot SARS.
9/22/19 11:29 PM
1/1/01
kinson -
Huntsman -

Not really. Pointing out sensationalism in MSM is one thing. Mixing issues and drawing the conclusion that they're all the same is another.

The ozone layer hole and acid rain was dealt with through international agreements and legislation. Much like CC activists wants to do in regard to carbon dioxide.

And mixing the cold war in there... I don't know. I guess you guys don't know about some of the very close calls during that era.

It's like the boy who cried wolf again. Except there was a wolf there a couple of the times, but it was chased away. And now some people take as proof, that since no sheep have been killed so far, wolves don't exist. 

9/22/19 11:31 PM
6/16/01

It's threads like this that make me want to completely stop lurking here. 

9/23/19 1:57 AM
1/1/01
ttt
9/23/19 1:58 AM
9/16/02
Kimura304 -

ditto

9/23/19 2:00 AM
9/16/02
ziggystardust -
kinson -
Huntsman -

Not really. Pointing out sensationalism in MSM is one thing. Mixing issues and drawing the conclusion that they're all the same is another.

The ozone layer hole and acid rain was dealt with through international agreements and legislation. Much like CC activists wants to do in regard to carbon dioxide.

And mixing the cold war in there... I don't know. I guess you guys don't know about some of the very close calls during that era.

It's like the boy who cried wolf again. Except there was a wolf there a couple of the times, but it was chased away. And now some people take as proof, that since no sheep have been killed so far, wolves don't exist. 

good post

Edited: 9/23/19 2:43 AM
6/14/19

A less polluted healthy environment would be a great thing to strive for regardless of legitimacy of man made climate change.

It shouldn't be a global problem that needs fixing for us to take polluting less seriously. That seems like a good goal to strive for.

That said cabin tax schemes are not the way to go about it.

If we reduce our emissions enough will the tax be stopped?

Has the government ever stopped a tax once it's been created?

When is it time to stop ringing the alarms.

9/23/19 6:48 AM
8/10/07
Huntsman -

But bro, did you survive net neutrality repeal and the tax cuts?

9/23/19 7:31 AM
10/23/05
ziggystardust -
kinson -
Huntsman -

I see that intelligence has not completely deserted this forum.

9/23/19 8:07 AM
1/2/15
ziggystardust -
kinson -
Huntsman -

Only a tax will save us! 

9/23/19 8:14 AM
1/1/01
Junnk - 
ziggystardust -
kinson -
Huntsman -

Only a tax will save us! 

So you don't believe in it because of a tax?
9/23/19 8:32 AM
8/1/13
Kimura304 -

LOL. BYE!

9/23/19 8:39 AM
1/2/15
Josh -
Junnk - 
ziggystardust -
kinson -
Huntsman -

Only a tax will save us! 

Who knows

What I do know is that a tax won't fix it. 

We could have 0 carbon footprint and it wouldn't matter since the biggest polluters are China and india 

9/23/19 8:46 AM
1/1/01
Junnk - 
Josh -
Junnk - 
ziggystardust -
kinson -
Huntsman -

Only a tax will save us! 

Who knows

We could have 0 carbon footprint and it wouldn't matter since the biggest polluters are China and india 

Not sure about that do you have a stat or something. Also I know China is trying to change this
9/23/19 8:52 AM
8/1/13
Junnk -
Josh -
Junnk - 
ziggystardust -
kinson -
Huntsman -

Only a tax will save us! 

Who knows

The situation reminds me of the "non smoking" sections they used to have in restaurants. Unless everyone is on board, it makes very little difference.

9/23/19 8:53 AM
1/2/15
Josh -
Junnk - 
Josh -
Junnk - 
ziggystardust -
kinson -
Huntsman -

Only a tax will save us! 

Who knows

Not sure about that do you have a stat or something. Also I know China is trying to change this

You need a stat that shows dollars don't magically fix the environment? 

Throw a dollar in the air and see if it does something

Companies hit with the huge tax increase will lay off people, increase prices and/or move to places where environmental laws are nonexistent

We end paying more, corrupt govt gets more of our money and the environment still gets trashed.