OtherGround Forums Closest you've ever been to dying?

2/7/17 9:41 PM
7/14/10

In friends cobra, going over a hill, car pulled out in front, was a block ( literally around the corner ) from my house so had no seatbelt on. T boned the fuck out of them ( was around 3am, were just hitting 3rd gear ) Took out one of those metal parking posts, bent another one.  Air bag pinballed me head first into the windshield ( about a inch and a half gash taken out of my head from the stem of the rear view digging into my skull  ). 

Ended up in the drivers lap. He pushed me back to my seat. Some how i was concious and walking around with a fountain of blood coming out my head. 

That was about the closest. 

Edited: 2 days ago
7/4/13

2/8/17 12:22 AM
9/18/07
I died for 1 and a half minutes when I was 11.
2/8/17 12:29 AM
1/1/01
Oh, I forgot one!

About 21 years ago, I worked in a chemical plant. We made hydrogen Cyanide (HCN). We had a leak, and 4 of us had to put on supplied air respirators and go into the leak area to block-in the leak. I actually sucked my air tank empty, and had to go change into a 2nd tank.

I had trained in that unit a couple year earlier. The air tanks had a bell that would ring when close to empty. While I was away from that unit, they switched brands - the new tanks made a whistle, instead of a ringing bell. I heard the whistle, but did not know what it was - until I tried to suck in more air, and there wasn't any.

First instinct was to rip the mask off, that would have been bad, maybe fatal. I just held my breath and quickly walked to where the other tanks were kept.
2/8/17 1:31 AM
11/20/08
Jpt82 - Had the umbilical cord wrapped around my neck when i was born. Was two months early .
Same, my mom and I both almost died. Now invincible.

A car wreck that should have killed me but walked away with nothing somehow (t-boned both us and car that ran stop sign doing 80 I was in the box of the truck, everyone in the cab needed medical attention, my body dented the box yet not even a sore muscle.

When 11 my appendix burst, parent waited a long time to take me to the hospital...country folk always do, apparently I was close, just remeber being sick as fuck for too long.

Blacked out on a freefall sky dive but caught myself and woke back up enough to pull my chute
2/8/17 3:05 AM
6/30/07
99 -

Shot myself in the head 9 years ago this Saturday. Yea on purpose.  Glad I am a failure though and it didn't work 

Woah
2/8/17 3:46 AM
11/18/13

Carbon minoxide poisoning when I was 8. Heroin overdose at 23.

Edited: 2/8/17 4:54 AM
1/1/01

edited- that wasn't the closest

2/8/17 4:26 AM
8/3/15

Waking up and making it to the end of the day. 

2/8/17 4:39 AM
6/28/13

Back when I was married we decided to take the kids (2 of my own and 3 step kids) on a road trip to Oregon from California.  We went to an awesome zoo where you got to drive your vehicle inside and view the animals "in the wild."  It was pretty cool being within an arms distance to a rhino, among other animals.  It was a great time.

On the way back towards the hotel it started to snow pretty bad.  I've had very little experience driving in the snow.  As we get within 20 minutes of our hotel, my ex wife gets the idea that we should drive up this mountain and find a spot for the kids to play in the snow.  I start making the drive up this mountain road that twists around the mountain as you elevate up.  It just keeps going and going with what seems like no spot to have some fun. We decide to give up and turn around to go back to the hotel.  I pull into a little area that has a steep downhill driveway, which appeared to lead to someone's house.  On the left side of the driveway though, was a steep downhill cliff.  As an inexperienced snow driver in a 4x4 SUV, I thought it was fine for me to pull into the driveway and try to turn around to go back to the hotel.  Things didn't quite go like I imagined though.  As I tried to make a right turn on the driveway to head back towards the main road, the SUV began to slide towards the cliff.  We all freaked out!  I panicked, wasn't sure what to do.  Sitting there holding the breaks was only taking us closer to the cliff.  I yelled at everyone to get out of the car. My 3 step kids jump out of the back seat, leaving my two small children in car seats.  My ex jumps into the back seat and starts to unbuckle one kid.  At this point, we're running out of time before we go over the cliff, so I decide to put the vehicle in park and try to jump in the backseat and grab my other kid before we fall over the cliff.  As I get out and remove my foot from the brake, the car starts going even faster towards the cliff.  At this point, I knew there was no way that I was going to get my kid out of the car seat and us both out of the truck before it goes over.  So, I jump back in the vehicle, frantically, and attempt to slam on the brakes, but accidentally slam on the gas pedal as I jumped in.  I thoght we were dead!  Thankfully though, as I slammed on the gas, I also had the steering wheel turned all the way to the right and it ended up launching us into a little embankment inbetween the driveway and main road.  We got stuck in the snow and everyone was ok, thank God.  Another car came by later and helped us put chains on the truck and get us out of hell.

In other instances...

When I was in high school learning how to fly Cessna airplanes, my door flew open mid flight.  I was a little nervous to say the least.  I know there was a seat belt holding me inside, but when you're loooking straight down to the ground through your open door....it's a little nerve racking.

Lived 4 houses down from a carbomb that went off to kill a gang member.

As a 11 year old boy growing up in the hood, I decided to walk across the street one day to go get an ice cream cone from Thrifty.  As I crossed the street, I decided to look to my right and I see a large adult thug running right at me.  The guy knocks me to the ground as he runs into me. As I'm trying to get up, I see two guys in front of me with their guns out, yelling GET DOWN!  I fell back to the ground and looked over to see the thug car jacking some old lady.  He successfully got the car from the old lady and the other two guys ran away to get into a car and chase after them.  I never heard anything else about this occasion. I told my mom what happen and we watched to news, but I never heard what this was about.  While I was probably not in any real danger, at the time, as a young kid, I thought I nearly died.

2/8/17 5:44 AM
2/22/12

This thread has been before and some OGer had a crash in a cement truck if I remember right and his story is epic. Fucking lucky bloke 

2/8/17 6:37 AM
3/22/13
Been caught up in 4 bombs, had army and local boys shooting up my street on a number of occasions. On the day my son was due to be born assassins shot a guy who then ran like fuck and rapped my door as the rounds were pinging and snapping all round him, he caught 7 of them and we saved his life, our son was born the next week. Life in Northern Ireland.
2/8/17 9:26 AM
4/28/06
MountainMedic - 
99 -

Shot myself in the head 9 years ago this Saturday. Yea on purpose.  Glad I am a failure though and it didn't work 

Woah

Hey woah now... that escalated quickly
2/8/17 9:32 AM
11/29/11

Really bad concussion skateboarding. 

Got put to sleep in BJJ really really bad one time

4 days ago
6/3/03

TTT 

4 days ago
3/20/15

Went over the bars, 5th gear tapped trying to get 1st place back.....woke up with 40 people passed me....

4 days ago
2/15/13

Choking on a piece of bread.

i had one had a temperature of 105.9

4 days ago
3/20/15
Mark Antony's hangover - 

Choking on a piece of bread.

i had one had a temperature of 105.9

White or brown ?

4 days ago
4/1/11

Got attacked and mauled by a dobberman at 5 . Almost bleed out from throat it almost puntured my eyeball. But made it and still a pretty mfer.I remember my dad snapped stomped the dog to death and dared the owners to call someone.They had been told numerous times to keep it chained up.

4 days ago
8/13/19

I had an I-beam fall off the back of an 18 wheeler I was following on the interstate go through my windshield and passenger seat of my car. I’ve had a lot of other close calls but nothing as random and near catastrophic as this

4 days ago
3/20/15
Admiral AckFurious - 

I had an I-beam fall off the back of an 18 wheeler I was following on the interstate go through my windshield and passenger seat of my car. I’ve had a lot of other close calls but nothing as random and near catastrophic as this

Some final destination shit right there...

4 days ago
5/14/10
One time I had a seizure and woke up a few hours later in a field about a mile from my house thinking I was 12 years old again. I siezed and fell headfirst onto a cement floor and smashed my head and somehow also broke both arms. Ever since that my head has been on sideways and people always tell me that they miss who I used to be. I have no idea how much damage was done tho because I cant get an mri due to having metal parts in my head from something unrelated.

I also had esophageal varices and one of them ruptured. I started puking straight blood nonstop and had to be rushed to the er. I lost a ton of blood but that shit can usually kill you. I'm also a sever type A hemophiliac with less than 1% clotting factor in my blood so I have no idea how I'm alive after that.
4 days ago
11/28/09
fastnotch331 -
Lux Fixxins -
fastnotch331 -
Lux Fixxins -
fastnotch331 -
Lux Fixxins -
fastnotch331 -
Pig Bun - I remember looking at my speedometer, and it read a little over 110mph. About 2 seconds later, I was sliding backwards down the highway. More smoke than a top fueler doing a burnout. It felt like I was going to slide forever, but I finally came to a stop in a grassy median. Poles, trees, fences, all sorts of things to crash into, but I didn't hit a damned thing. Walked around the car and all was good, so drove home.
Lol that made me reminis about the old days . Did something very similar. No damage with the exception the exhaust being ripped off , had to piss afterwards real bad and was a little shakey. Pissed got back in went home .

You fell out of a car going 110 mph backwards?

No , and I don't get where you got falling out of the car at all .

You were in the car,  then were slinging down the highway backward.  Car wasn't damaged.

howd you get on highway?

Read . I said I had a similar thing happen , similar does not mean exact same as what pigbun had happen . Nobody said anything about the shit you are trying to imply . If you wanna know the fucking story then ask and quit being a fucktard.

I'm retarded.

can I hear the story?

On page two .

Where?

4 days ago
1/1/01

I flat lined at the age of 2.  Drown after apparantly trying to hold my breath under water in the tub.  Babysitter walked out amd came back I was face down and floating. Thank god my mother had just gotten home.  She revived with CPR before the ambulance arrived.  I survived because there was no soap in the water and it was super cold.  (Thanks baby sitter)

I also got hit by a car at 5 years old by a car going about 40.  It just hit the front tire but flattened my bike amd launched me about 10 feet into the gutter. 

4 days ago
5/29/18
RhinoHog -
Admiral AckFurious - 

Some final destination shit right there...

That it is.

Hope you got a nice check from that freight company.