OtherGround Forums Closest you've ever been to dying?

2/7/17 6:32 AM
6/3/03

What's the closest you've ever been to dying? I don't mean "Dude, I drank so much one night I was sooooo hungover etc" I mean legit trapped in a car crash, shot and bleeding out, people pumping on your chest, step away from the light legit almost dead. 

Cant say I've ever been that close to dying but I did have to be rushed to the hospital from alcohol poisoning when I was like 17. Got my stomach pumped etc. Can't tell you if it was that dire but my friends said I was barely breathing, throwing up blood etc so I'm sure it wasn't good. 

In any case, OG, let's hear them stories!

2/7/17 6:44 AM
10/4/15
Had the umbilical cord wrapped around my neck when i was born. Was two months early .
2/7/17 6:52 AM
8/25/15
stacked a push bike when i was 10 and had a subdural hematoma, walked home about 1 kilometre got inside and spewed up clear liquid everywhere and just wanted to sleep.

mum drove me to the doctors as i was drifting in an out of consciousness, got to the ER and they had no one to operate the CAT scan, so i got an ambulance into the city where i under went emergency surgery to remove the pressure being applied to my brain due to the hemorrhage. the docs told my parents that it was touch and go and they weren't how i was going to be effected by the injury/surgery.

four hours of surgey later i survived...docs said if i didnt have a helmet on when i crashed and if mum hadn't got me there when she did i have been a goner.

crazy shit to think about now.
2/7/17 7:07 AM
6/30/07
Bled out on the operating table in 06. Heart stopped for a bit.
2/7/17 7:13 AM
1/1/01
Nothing specifically, but there were a couple IDF attacks while doing contract work in Iraq that had circumstances been only slightly different, could have gone horribly bad for me.

(One did go horribly bad for a guy on our camp - rocket landed in his hooch, killing him instantly.)
2/7/17 7:17 AM
11/7/07
my buddy(driver) and I rolled a car about 3x down an embankment, I came out with just a scratch, he was a little banged up
2/7/17 7:25 AM
11/28/09

Almost drowned surfing in Mexico.   

2/7/17 7:26 AM
7/7/10

Was supposed to be on the twa plane that blew up over he Long Island sound 

2/7/17 7:46 AM
5/7/08
Double intestinal blockage. Wasn't really close to dying as I was in a hospital but left untreated it would have taken me out.
2/7/17 7:58 AM
6/30/07
Was also in a sideways small plane falling out of the sky. There was a moment of "oh, this is how it's going to happen" but out pilot was a stud and got us squared away. We declared an in flight emergency and landed with out issue. It as violent as fuck, seemed to go on forever. Data showed we dropped over 1000 feet.

That's one of those that I didn't tell MrsMedic about.
2/7/17 7:59 AM
6/30/07
MayorPickle - Double intestinal blockage. Wasn't really close to dying as I was in a hospital but left untreated it would have taken me out.
Yeah, that'll get the job done. How much pain?
2/7/17 8:02 AM
6/3/03
Lux Fixxins -

Almost drowned surfing in Mexico.   

sorry, couldn't resist. LOL. :-)

2/7/17 8:03 AM
1/1/01

Went to Lubbock texas to visit a friend and party in my 20's.  He had 3 cats and 2 dogs.  I didn't know this before i went,  i have asthma pretty bad(allergy induced)  I went through an entire inhaler in 1 day,  i was sitting in the driveway gasping for air, when my friend came out and freaked out because my face was blue,  he ran me to the hospital. 

I thought i was about to die in that driveway.

2/7/17 8:06 AM
7/8/09

Compound fracture on my femur. Almost bled out.

2/7/17 8:07 AM
1/14/17
There's some crazy fucking stories here. Can someone bump the other threads like this.
2/7/17 8:10 AM
5/7/08
MountainMedic -
MayorPickle - Double intestinal blockage. Wasn't really close to dying as I was in a hospital but left untreated it would have taken me out.
You know, it wasn't that bad. I was in 9/10 pain pretty much 24 hours a day for 2 months, then they finally figured out what was wrong with me and started treating so I had 2 weeks pain free, then the blockages but the pain wasn't near as bad as it had been before.

I dunno if pain is relative or what, but even the surgery was cake. I hit the ketamine button once upon waking up because they made me to make sure it worked, but didn't touch it afterwards. After those 2 months, nothing hurt lol
2/7/17 8:17 AM
6/8/08

Rolled with Conan Silveira once.

2/7/17 8:21 AM
6/30/07
MayorPickle -
MountainMedic -
You know, it wasn't that bad. I was in 9/10 pain pretty much 24 hours a day for 2 months, then they finally figured out what was wrong with me and started treating so I had 2 weeks pain free, then the blockages but the pain wasn't near as bad as it had been before.

I dunno if pain is relative or what, but even the surgery was cake. I hit the ketamine button once upon waking up because they made me to make sure it worked, but didn't touch it afterwards. After those 2 months, nothing hurt lol
I've poured drugs into patients with blockages and barely touched em.

But I agree that pain is relative and some people are much better at managing it than others.
2/7/17 8:25 AM
5/7/08
MountainMedic -
MayorPickle -
MountainMedic -

I've poured drugs into patients with blockages and barely touched em.

But I agree that pain is relative and some people are much better at managing it than others.
You do the Lord's work, sir. Medical personnel who help people in those situations are goddamn angels on Earth. Especially those who venture out into death's gaping maw to do it such as yourself. My hat is off to you
2/7/17 8:29 AM
2/5/05
Today.

I have died yet so right now is the closest I've been. And every subsequent second only gets me clos
2/7/17 8:42 AM
11/8/13

I had one and a half peices of shrimp when I was 7yo. Whent to TKD practice afterwards and started getting welts and turning red. I continued getting worse until my Mom rushed me to the hospital. She says I died on the way there. They busted out the defibulators and all that. I didn't come around until they slammed the adrenaline needle into my heart ala Pulp Fiction OD scene. My Mom was still in her nurses uniform from work so she was in the room the whole time. 

2/7/17 8:46 AM
2/21/11
Did a tonne of blow for a prolonged period of time on top of training really hard in Rio and developed a terrible respiratory infection. Being surrounded by a lot of sick people (on the buses etc) probably didn't help either. Struggled to breathe for days and days. Honestly thought about wanting to die I was getting so bad anxiety attacks from not being able to breathe. Being in a 3rd world shithole healthcare wise while struggling for oxygen is fucking scary. Good luck calling an ambulance or getting to a hospital if shit goes sideways.
2/7/17 8:54 AM
12/27/10
As a small kid at an Oasis holiday resort swimming pool in U.K.

Went down one of the outdoor slides that had a short waterfall at one section that you went down then carried on. I got sucked backwards behind the waterfall as I went down and was just stuck under the water. I could vaguely make out people passing over the top of me and carrying on, and it dawned on me after a few seconds of not being able to get myself out that I was probably about to fucking drown.

Next thing I know some giant arm is under my ribcage and just hoists me out of the water. Some dude just casually carried me under one arm the rest of the way down the slide.

I looked up at him as he was carrying me like 'holy shit... you just saved my life...' but I'm not sure I managed to say anything to him.
2/7/17 8:56 AM
12/9/13

8 feet away from a car bomb.

2/7/17 9:20 AM
1/1/01
I remember looking at my speedometer, and it read a little over 110mph. About 2 seconds later, I was sliding backwards down the highway. More smoke than a top fueler doing a burnout. It felt like I was going to slide forever, but I finally came to a stop in a grassy median. Poles, trees, fences, all sorts of things to crash into, but I didn't hit a damned thing. Walked around the car and all was good, so drove home.