OtherGround Forums Cobra Kai--not what I expected. enjoyable show

9/7/20 2:04 PM
5/7/09
Phuckles -

Is it age appropriate for a 12 year old?

I have only seen the original karate kid. Do I need to see the rest to get the most out of the show?

My son and I are looking for a new show. He loved the Karate Kid movie. He is 12. Would this be one for us to watch?

And it would help to see the movies but definitely not necessary.

9/7/20 2:05 PM
1/1/01

Kids love the show! Even ones who never saw Karate Kid. 

They do TONS of flashbacks to the movies. 

9/7/20 10:27 PM
8/11/05

9/7/20 10:51 PM
7/4/08
william795 -
Phuckles -

I have only seen the original karate kid. Do I need to see the rest to get the most out of the show?

My son and I are looking for a new show. He loved the Karate Kid movie. He is 12. Would this be one for us to watch?

I loved it but heavy use of the word ‘pussy’. Unnecessarily, too. Actually a good bit of cussing. Could have been more younger kid friendly without it. 

9/7/20 10:59 PM
9/14/03
AVClub - 
william795 -
Phuckles -

I loved it but heavy use of the word ‘pussy’. Unnecessarily, too. Actually a good bit of cussing. Could have been more younger kid friendly without it. 

Don't be such a pussy.
9/7/20 11:06 PM
4/22/07
AVClub -
william795 -
Phuckles -

Weinersucker

9/7/20 11:07 PM
1/1/01
AVClub - 
william795 -
Phuckles -

9/7/20 11:20 PM
5/7/08
Phuckles -

There's a small amount of strong language and innuendo, but no tits or anything and I think only 1 real F bomb.

Edited: 9/7/20 11:32 PM
1/1/01
I love the show... but it's on the verge of getting too "High School Musical" this season. Season one had a PERFECT --just perfect-- tone. It walked a really hard to do tightrope of drama, comedy, cheesiness, nostalgia, respect for the original material and also adding something new to it.

BTW, William Zabka is great!

He is also both better at karate than Ralph Macchio (who always has seemed seriously uncoordinated) and he's actually a better actor. --He's funny.
9/7/20 11:25 PM
5/7/08
MayorPirkle -
Phuckles -

There's a small amount of strong language and innuendo, but no tits or anything and I think only 1 real F bomb.

At one point the asshole bully tries to stick his hand up Larusso's daughter's skirt and she stops him, the kid lies and says she sucked him off in the theatre and kids make a bunch of crude blowjob jokes, if that's not inappropriate for him then the rest of the show should be fine IMO

9/7/20 11:26 PM
5/7/09
AVClub -
william795 -
Phuckles -

Oh yeah, forgot about the P bombs.  Yeah there’s some moderate language.

9/7/20 11:29 PM
5/7/08
shen - I love the show... but it's on the edge of getting too "High School Musical" this season. Season one had a PERFECT --just perfect-- tone. It walked a really hard to do tightrope of drama, comedy, cheeseiness, nostalgia, respect for the original material and also adding to it.

BTW, William Zabka is great.

He is both better at karate than Ralph Macchio (who always seems seriously uncoordinated) and he's actually a better actor. He's funny.

Zabka is actually really good, I always kind of viewed him as a joke who was only ever Johnny Lawrence 30 years ago, but he's seriously impressed me. He was also nominated for an Oscar a few years ago for a short film he created, not sure if he won but by all accounts it's top notch stuff.

Robby was actually ok at first when he was a piece of shit, his face is just so off. This big exaggerated smile, shakes his head from side to side like a puppy... he's creepy as hell.

9/7/20 11:31 PM
5/7/09
shen - I love the show... but it's on the edge of getting too "High School Musical" this season. Season one had a PERFECT --just perfect-- tone. It walked a really hard to do tightrope of drama, comedy, cheeseiness, nostalgia, respect for the original material and also adding to it.

He is both better at karate than Ralph Macchio (who always seems seriously uncoordinated) and he's actually a better actor. He's funny.

Yeah it’s throwing me off how bad of an actor Ralph seems in it.  He was pretty good when he was young.  It looks like he’s never even considered a push-up let alone practicing Karate for the show.  I try to put all of that & the high school musical aside to enjoy Zabka & the nostalgia.  And it’s working :)

9/7/20 11:34 PM
5/7/09
MayorPirkle -

Zabka is actually really good, I always kind of viewed him as a joke who was only ever Johnny Lawrence 30 years ago, but he's seriously impressed me. He was also nominated for an Oscar a few years ago for a short film he created, not sure if he won but by all accounts it's top notch stuff.

Robby was actually ok at first when he was a piece of shit, his face is just so off. This big exaggerated smile, shakes his head from side to side like a puppy... he's creepy as hell.

Agreed, Robby is highly annoying to look at.  The smirky half smile, question mark face, & mannerisms..

9/8/20 12:21 AM
9/14/03
Kinda goofy that everyone is a blackbelt.
9/8/20 12:45 AM
7/14/08

For most of the show, Macchio has to play the straight man to the weird shit bouncing around him. But, man, I wouldn’t even consider it phoning it in. In some scenes, he looks like he’d be rather getting a prostate poke than be on the show. 

Shen is right, though. Season 2 had way too many Disney Sitcom for tweens moments. And the Dimitri(the nerdy Jewish kid) character is basically Kyle from South Park’s cousin. He’s like a walking, talking stereotype. 

Edited: 9/8/20 1:09 AM
1/1/01
Fury2Feed - Kinda goofy that everyone is a blackbelt.

He just had them wear them for the tournament. They're all white belts in the dojo. 

Daniel had Robby and Samantha wear white belts at Valley fest. 

9/8/20 1:48 AM
6/29/09

Crazy that Machhio is pushing 60.

I was surprised to not hear more of the pop music from the first 2 KK movies. Into the 2nd Season and I think the Banarama Smoothie is the only reference I've seen. Maybe no money for the rights?

9/8/20 1:56 AM
1/8/04
Phuckles - 

How about don't be such a pussy ass father and teach your children good from bad instead of relying on the rest of the world raising them, influencing their minds. Why don't you...I don't know, be a fuckin parent? He's 12, it's PG. He has probably done worse than what would be shown as cinematic.

9/8/20 2:09 AM
7/11/06
Siciliano di Brooklyn -
Phuckles - 

How about don't be such a pussy ass father and teach your children good from bad instead of relying on the rest of the world raising them, influencing their minds. Why don't you...I don't know, be a fuckin parent? He's 12, it's PG. He has probably done worse than what would be shown as cinematic.

Pretty sure it’s TV-14....you pussy.

Edited: 9/8/20 2:25 AM
3/10/12

Like many have already posted, Season 2 is a fucking abomination. Went from being a brilliant, edgy comedy series to a fucking CW show for Gen Z retards. Still can't believe I finished it tbh. Please don't make the same mistake and just abandon ship after season 1.

9/8/20 2:51 AM
1/8/04
1BL0Wko - 
Siciliano di Brooklyn -
Phuckles - 

Series don't apply to MPA ratings guidelines. So it's just a recommendation based off content, no system is applicable.I recommend Phuckles actually be a fuckin parent and educate his child instead of having society brainwash them with "inappropriate" material from a drama. Anything is acceptable for a 12y.o. if you are not an absentee father.

9/9/20 8:29 PM
4/21/10
Siciliano di Brooklyn -
1BL0Wko - 
Siciliano di Brooklyn -
Phuckles - 

Series don't apply to MPA ratings guidelines. So it's just a recommendation based off content, no system is applicable.I recommend Phuckles actually be a fuckin parent and educate his child instead of having society brainwash them with "inappropriate" material from a drama. Anything is acceptable for a 12y.o. if you are not an absentee father.

My son and I watch a show with dinner on nights I am not at his football or basketball practice which is rare because he is only with his mom every other weekend. I am a single father other than 4 days a month. I spend every minute of every day when my son is not at school with my son. I ask if the OG thinks if a show is age appropriate for me to watch with my 12 year old and somehow you gather that I am an absentee father from that? The fuck is wrong with you you stupid fuck?

9/13/20 1:28 PM
4/20/08

In before Johnny whoops Stingrays ass in season 3

9/13/20 1:41 PM
7/2/07
Not sure about that ending of season 2.

Is that level or extent of damage/injury necessary for the show ?