OtherGround Forums College Football Mega Thread 2019-2020

9/30/19 12:32 PM
3/11/09
Vegito Blue -
Diabeetus -

Everybody sleeping on Penn state. They have 1 of the best defenses in college football right now. 

They also have a retarded HC who makes bone headed decisions late in games that cost them the win. Coach franklin is a bozo 

He's a fantastic recruiter but I'd agree that sometimes his in game decisions are a bit confusing. I don't think he's as bad as you're saying though lol

9/30/19 1:08 PM
7/15/11
Fan of Fanboys - so that California bill passed. NCAA athletes can earn sponsorship income starting in 2023

Fucking Cali.. This will get very interesting now. I sure am glad A&M is LOADED bc this is gonna get messy.

Dear NCAA,

You don't really do anything anyway and it's about to be open season. Show yourself to the door. Thanks!

PS: Please send a hitman to take out Larry Scott. It's a good way to go out.

9/30/19 1:15 PM
1/30/03
Fan of Fanboys - so that California bill passed. NCAA athletes can earn sponsorship income starting in 2023

I know the NCAA said if it does that they won't be eligible for post season. Did they stick to that.

9/30/19 1:28 PM
3/29/13
Matrix -

Fucking Cali.. This will get very interesting now. I sure am glad A&M is LOADED bc this is gonna get messy.

Dear NCAA,

You don't really do anything anyway and it's about to be open season. Show yourself to the door. Thanks!

This is going to kill college football, the vast majority of schools do not have the revenue to pay their players. There will be very few teams outside of the south that will be competitive, may as well change the NFL age to 18

Edited: 9/30/19 1:29 PM
3/29/13

I do support players making money off their image though, but not being paid by the school

9/30/19 2:15 PM
5/13/13

I'm impressed with my Utes. We should have beat USC, couldn't get anything going with the refs calling bullshit every time we got momentum or close to scoring.

Utes have not allowed a team to rush for more than 150 yards so far.

Washington State had thrown for over 440+ yards every game until Utes held them to 252 yards.

I really like our team this year. I just wish we could get a real QB. Sick of these scramblers that would never make it in the NFL. Yes they can make for some awesome plays but we have desperately needed a QB that can throw well and be consistent. 

I'd like to hear some of your thoughts on my home team, always intriguing to me on what the rest of the country thinks about the Utes.

9/30/19 2:23 PM
12/6/11

PAC-12 Let's Gooooooooo!

9/30/19 2:58 PM
7/15/11
KaepernicksTheAppleOfMyEye -
Matrix -

Dear NCAA,

This is going to kill college football, the vast majority of schools do not have the revenue to pay their players. There will be very few teams outside of the south that will be competitive, may as well change the NFL age to 18

It's going to be very interesting where this goes. I want to know if what AC said is actually true. I do remember hearing that. Might have been here.

9/30/19 3:06 PM
2/25/08

Fanboy, you will like this one:

9/30/19 3:29 PM
3/29/13
Matrix -
Matrix -

Dear NCAA,

It's going to be very interesting where this goes. I want to know if what AC said is actually true. I do remember hearing that. Might have been here.

I just read an article saying basically the ncaa never said that and the bill does not allow colleges to pay athletes outside what they receive now, it only changes that they can sign autographs for money and sign endorsement deals. I don't think this is bad at all if that's true

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.latimes.com/sports/story/2019-09-30/what-next-for-ncaa-college-athletics-now-that-sb-206-is-law%3f_amp=true

9/30/19 3:32 PM
3/29/13

I still don't understand it though, I'm so confused by this law

9/30/19 3:40 PM
6/30/14
cbia - Fanboy, you will like this one:

The man has spoken! 

I still use that bookmark daily by the way. Currently in the Hemingway I'm reading

Edited: 9/30/19 5:24 PM
6/8/10

Won't stop Oregon from handing out Nike endorsements or Tua from being the spokesperson for Big Al's Construction or Sam the Slinger specials at Lone Star Steakhouse. It really will only effect the upper echelon that is already getting money in most cases. Now boosters can be more open about it by just handing out endorsements to land 5 stars. In my opinion, the XFL is a much bigger threat to CFB than this bill is over the next 5 years. Once there is a viable option that will pay and cut out the bullshit of having to play school component, that is where things will get interesting.

9/30/19 10:15 PM
2/25/08

I can see a cap. What is the limit? $12k per year you can make without paying taxes? I know there is also a stipend that players get monthly, so I don't know if that is also taxable when making more than 12k.

But $1000/month is pretty good money when you don't have to worry about anything else.

9/30/19 10:25 PM
7/8/14
Sur2eaL -

I'm impressed with my Utes. We should have beat USC, couldn't get anything going with the refs calling bullshit every time we got momentum or close to scoring.

Washington State had thrown for over 440+ yards every game until Utes held them to 252 yards.

I really like our team this year. I just wish we could get a real QB. Sick of these scramblers that would never make it in the NFL. Yes they can make for some awesome plays but we have desperately needed a QB that can throw well and be consistent. 

I'd like to hear some of your thoughts on my home team, always intriguing to me on what the rest of the country thinks about the Utes.

Haven't watched a lot of Utah admittedly outside of the USC loss but unfortunately (as I've always rooted for WSU and love Leach) I wouldn't put a lot of stock in Washington State, I just don't think they are that good this year. It helps that Utah rolled them over pretty good but they are definitely a flawed football team.

9/30/19 10:31 PM
6/22/09
Matrix -
Matrix -

Dear NCAA,

I just read an article saying basically the ncaa never said that and the bill does not allow colleges to pay athletes outside what they receive now, it only changes that they can sign autographs for money and sign endorsement deals. I don't think this is bad at all if that's true

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.latimes.com/sports/story/2019-09-30/what-next-for-ncaa-college-athletics-now-that-sb-206-is-law%3f_amp=true

Correct, this is just letting student-athletes do what every other scholarship student can do without jeopardizing their scholarship...and that is make their own damn money on their own damn time using their name, image and likeness.

Proper endaround the NCAA's archaic rules.  Let the kids make their own money, you don't have to pay them.

9/30/19 11:44 PM
2/25/08

In the final hour, Busch Lite guy is approaching 3 million. Here are some Tweets if you are interested:

This one will have ISU fans rolling their eyes:

NFL and Iowa standout TE Dallas Clark:

Kirk Ferentz talking about an ISU fan getting cheered in Iowa City:

10/1/19 3:26 AM
12/12/07
Sur2eaL -

Kyle Whittingham is a hell of a coach and seems to put together great o-lines and d-lines year in and year out. But they'll never get the great prospects because of location and lack of pedigree (they're only 8 years removed from being G5 and they haven't won anything). So 9+ win seasons should be appreciated. 

10/1/19 8:17 AM
7/15/11
Meohfumado -
Matrix -
Matrix -

Dear NCAA,

Correct, this is just letting student-athletes do what every other scholarship student can do without jeopardizing their scholarship...and that is make their own damn money on their own damn time using their name, image and likeness.

Proper endaround the NCAA's archaic rules.  Let the kids make their own money, you don't have to pay them.

I don't think you fully grasp how the top places will be able to use this DRASTICALLY to their advantage. Big boosters will not have to hide in the shadows anymore. Bring back the 70's and 80's I guess. It's definitely not as simple as you're making it out to be.

10/1/19 10:08 AM
3/29/13
Matrix -
Meohfumado -
Matrix -
Matrix -

Dear NCAA,

I don't think you fully grasp how the top places will be able to use this DRASTICALLY to their advantage. Big boosters will not have to hide in the shadows anymore. Bring back the 70's and 80's I guess. It's definitely not as simple as you're making it out to be.

Yeah the more I think about it, this is going to kill just about every team from competitiveness outside 10-15 schools, and those 10-15 schools may as well be minor league nfl teams

10/1/19 10:20 AM
1/30/03
Matrix -
Meohfumado -
Matrix -
Matrix -

Dear NCAA,

Pretty much.

"If you sign with us, our friend Jim is going to put your face on a billboard. Then you can go to any of his car dealerships and pick out anything you want. When you get tired of that one, you can go get a new one. Now how does that sound?"

10/1/19 10:22 AM
8/22/08
Animal Chin - 
Matrix -
Meohfumado -
Matrix -
Matrix -

Dear NCAA,

Pretty much.

"If you sign with us, our friend Jim is going to put your face on a billboard. Then you can go to any of his car dealerships and pick out anything you want. When you get tired of that one, you can go get a new one. Now how does that sound?"

Have you been sitting in on Saban's recruitment pitch??
10/1/19 10:26 AM
1/30/03

No sir

Urban Meyer's

10/1/19 10:46 AM
7/15/11
Animal Chin -

No sir

Urban Meyer's

Lol

10/1/19 10:53 AM
2/25/03

Attorneys who specialize in Title IX lawsuits are going to have a field day with Cali's bill. Paying players like that will never happen. Are they going to pay the girl's golf team, too? Because that is what would have to happen.