8/22/08
Animal Chin - 

No sir

Urban Meyer's

+1
10/1/19 11:00 AM
7/15/11
rufus -

Attorneys who specialize in Title IX lawsuits are going to have a field day with Cali's bill. Paying players like that will never happen. Are they going to pay the girl's golf team, too? Because that is what would have to happen. 

Pretty sure this is just to allow them to capitalize on the value of their name. Create a YouTube channel, get sponsored by you can only imagine by who, etc etc... Someone correct me if I'm wrong. If it is the case I can think of so many things right now as a coach I'd be saying. "Well son I've got "hook ups" in that area and I promise you I'll share your info with them"

10/1/19 11:17 AM
2/25/03
Matrix -
rufus -

Attorneys who specialize in Title IX lawsuits are going to have a field day with Cali's bill. Paying players like that will never happen. Are they going to pay the girl's golf team, too? Because that is what would have to happen. 

Pretty sure this is just to allow them to capitalize on the value of their name. Create a YouTube channel, get sponsored by you can only imagine by who, etc etc... Someone correct me if I'm wrong. If it is the case I can think of so many things right now as a coach I'd be saying. "Well son I've got "hook ups" in that area and I promise you I'll share your info with them"

They're going to get sued because it's "not fair" to everyone. Equality uber alles. Trust me on this. 

10/1/19 11:18 AM
1/30/03
rufus -
Matrix -
rufus -

They're going to get sued because it's "not fair" to everyone. Equality uber alles. Trust me on this. 

Who are they going to sue?

10/1/19 11:20 AM
2/25/03
Argyle420 - Yeah your right it was posted on the main news a few days ago.. but still I found it interesting hearing how Anderson isn't just a nice well spoken fighter lol Phone Post
Yeh mad how he makes out he's all nice n then he would end up doing something like that(nearly) I'm surprised Chael is still alive... Phone Post
10/1/19 1:29 PM
7/15/11
rufus -
Animal Chin -
rufus -
Matrix -
rufus -

The state of California, or the NCAA, if they make a decision to make this a policy. 

I'm not sure that will matter in this situation. They'd definitely have to go after the state imo and it's not the state or the school paying the kid it's his or her ability to market themselves that earn that money. You might be right but when it comes to marketing in the REAL world men get payed a shit load more and it ain't the ping pong players of the world.

Edited: 10/1/19 1:37 PM
6/22/09

The bill has nothing to do with Title IX since the institutions aren't paying the players or offering anything.

10/1/19 1:38 PM
6/30/14
rufus - 
Animal Chin -
rufus -
Matrix -
rufus -

The state of California, or the NCAA, if they make a decision to make this a policy. 

this makes no sense

it has literally nothing to do with the schools or the NCAA

it has zero impact on Title IX

any and all players can seek compensation for their likeness from private companies. the athletes are not becoming employed by the schools.

they can now sign autographs, making money from their IG or YouTube accounts, get paid by Nike based on jerseys sold, etc.

and really even allowing players to make money based on their endorsement is not what this law is. they are allowed to do that now. what this law says is schools in CA (and soon FL, SC, and others) cannot punish athletes for doing such.

everyone will have the exact same opportunity. it will be up to the market to decide how much they get paid. that gymnast chick from last year? she'd get paid. and once everyone is out on the open I don't think many businesses are going to overpay, at least not once the initial wave dies down.

and other things to consider. first, taxes. taxes, taxes, and sweet sweet taxes. another thing: that booster who donated $500K last year to the school? well maybe he donates $100K but he splits the other $400K up amongst players now. schools, the coaches buyouts, the new weight room every 2 years, etc will take a hit.

we already talk about bagmen with football players but that does not really exist in other sports (excluding basketball and few isolated incidents.) but with this system, everything being out in the open and taxed, someone who goes viral or competes in the olympics can now get money they would not otherwise.
10/1/19 1:39 PM
6/22/09
Matrix -
Meohfumado -
KaepernicksTheAppleOfMyEye -
Matrix -
Matrix -
Fan of Fanboys - so that California bill passed. NCAA athletes can earn sponsorship income starting in 2023

Fucking Cali.. This will get very interesting now. I sure am glad A&M is LOADED bc this is gonna get messy.

Dear NCAA,

You don't really do anything anyway and it's about to be open season. Show yourself to the door. Thanks!

PS: Please send a hitman to take out Larry Scott. It's a good way to go out.

This is going to kill college football, the vast majority of schools do not have the revenue to pay their players. There will be very few teams outside of the south that will be competitive, may as well change the NFL age to 18

It's going to be very interesting where this goes. I want to know if what AC said is actually true. I do remember hearing that. Might have been here.

I just read an article saying basically the ncaa never said that and the bill does not allow colleges to pay athletes outside what they receive now, it only changes that they can sign autographs for money and sign endorsement deals. I don't think this is bad at all if that's true

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.latimes.com/sports/story/2019-09-30/what-next-for-ncaa-college-athletics-now-that-sb-206-is-law%3f_amp=true

Correct, this is just letting student-athletes do what every other scholarship student can do without jeopardizing their scholarship...and that is make their own damn money on their own damn time using their name, image and likeness.

Proper endaround the NCAA's archaic rules.  Let the kids make their own money, you don't have to pay them.

I don't think you fully grasp how the top places will be able to use this DRASTICALLY to their advantage. Big boosters will not have to hide in the shadows anymore. Bring back the 70's and 80's I guess. It's definitely not as simple as you're making it out to be.

Oh I grasp it.  I just don't care.

Sucks to be a directional U in some broke-ass state.  Viva capitalism!

10/1/19 1:43 PM
2/25/03
Fan of Fanboys -
rufus - 
Animal Chin -
rufus -
Matrix -
rufus -

this makes no sense

any and all players can seek compensation for their likeness from private companies. the athletes are not becoming employed by the schools.

they can now sign autographs, making money from their IG or YouTube accounts, get paid by Nike based on jerseys sold, etc.

and really even allowing players to make money based on their endorsement is not what this law is. they are allowed to do that now. what this law says is schools in CA (and soon FL, SC, and others) cannot punish athletes for doing such.

everyone will have the exact same opportunity. it will be up to the market to decide how much they get paid. that gymnast chick from last year? she'd get paid. and once everyone is out on the open I don't think many businesses are going to overpay, at least not once the initial wave dies down.

and other things to consider. first, taxes. taxes, taxes, and sweet sweet taxes. another thing: that booster who donated $500K last year to the school? well maybe he donates $100K but he splits the other $400K up amongst players now. schools, the coaches buyouts, the new weight room every 2 years, etc will take a hit.

we already talk about bagmen with football players but that does not really exist in other sports (excluding basketball and few isolated incidents.) but with this system, everything being out in the open and taxed, someone who goes viral or competes in the olympics can now get money they would not otherwise.

You're completely wrong. Look at the history of Title IX lawsuits. It's terrible law, but the judges have been consistent. 

10/1/19 1:44 PM
6/30/14
Meohfumado - 
Matrix -
Meohfumado -
Matrix -
Matrix -
Fan of Fanboys - so that California bill passed. NCAA athletes can earn sponsorship income starting in 2023

Fucking Cali.. This will get very interesting now. I sure am glad A&M is LOADED bc this is gonna get messy.

Dear NCAA,

You don't really do anything anyway and it's about to be open season. Show yourself to the door. Thanks!

This is going to kill college football, the vast majority of schools do not have the revenue to pay their players. There will be very few teams outside of the south that will be competitive, may as well change the NFL age to 18

It's going to be very interesting where this goes. I want to know if what AC said is actually true. I do remember hearing that. Might have been here.

I just read an article saying basically the ncaa never said that and the bill does not allow colleges to pay athletes outside what they receive now, it only changes that they can sign autographs for money and sign endorsement deals. I don't think this is bad at all if that's true

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.latimes.com/sports/story/2019-09-30/what-next-for-ncaa-college-athletics-now-that-sb-206-is-law%3f_amp=true

Correct, this is just letting student-athletes do what every other scholarship student can do without jeopardizing their scholarship...and that is make their own damn money on their own damn time using their name, image and likeness.

Proper endaround the NCAA's archaic rules.  Let the kids make their own money, you don't have to pay them.

I don't think you fully grasp how the top places will be able to use this DRASTICALLY to their advantage. Big boosters will not have to hide in the shadows anymore. Bring back the 70's and 80's I guess. It's definitely not as simple as you're making it out to be.

not like it matters now

I don't know the numbers I bet vast majority of the 5* recruits go to one of 6-7 schools. I bet majority of the 4* recruits go to one of 20 or so schools

the national championship is limited to 10-14 schools on any given year

we have schools who take the 55-6 ass whooping each year just to fund their athletic budget

we live in a world of haves and have nots already. the only difference is this might change which list your team falls under
10/1/19 1:48 PM
1/25/19

big 10 fans in for another rude awakening. OSU will crush overated wisconsin and penn st. my friend is already declaring OSU the best team of all time because of there margin of victory. they had one fluke year where cordell jones played like a prime ben roethlisberger against ALabama. then they got to play hugely overrated Oregon team. right now id have Lsu, georgia, and alabama beating OSU comfortably. id give the gators a decent shot as well. OSU wont face a defense or offense like the top SEC teams all year.

10/1/19 1:50 PM
6/30/14
rufus - 
Fan of Fanboys -
rufus - 
Animal Chin -
rufus -
Matrix -
rufus -

this makes no sense

You're completely wrong. Look at the history of Title IX lawsuits. It's terrible law, but the judges have been consistent. 

well there are zero cases that would compare to this law

and maybe you're completely wrong

I've read as much on this topic as I possibly can. It seems almost unanimous with everyone that this does not violate or impact Title IX

what the fuck are you going to do? force the local car dealership to sponsor the girls volleyball team?

this has nothing to do with Title IX

sure, someone might file a lawsuit but nothing of substance will come of it.

I'll happily make a wager. If this law is overturned or substantially altered (we can let the members on here decide what constitutes substantially altered if we can't agree when the time comes) based on Title IX I will donate $100 to the charity of your choice and vice versa

and Florida is proposing basically the same law with an effective date of 2020 so our wager can be for whatever state's law goes into effect first. does not have to be Cali
10/1/19 1:53 PM
6/30/14

first result on Google, btw

https://www.forbes.com/sites/ceceliatownes/2019/09/16/why-the-california-fair-pay-to-play-act-could-be-a-financial-win-for-female-athletes/#316215834c72

Why California's Fair Pay To Play Act Could Be A Financial Win For Female Athletes

10/1/19 1:54 PM
7/15/11
Meohfumado -
Matrix -
Meohfumado -
Matrix -
Matrix -

Dear NCAA,

Lmao and in some ways I agree but this could drastically change the way college football is viewed or worse open up the possibility of the players deciding to go the xfl route like Sauce brought up. We'll see how it goes.. Like I said earlier if it's open up your pocket book time A&M will be in a good position lol

10/1/19 1:58 PM
3/29/13
Fan of Fanboys -
Meohfumado - 
Matrix -
Meohfumado -
Matrix -
Matrix -

Dear NCAA,

not like it matters now

I don't know the numbers I bet vast majority of the 5* recruits go to one of 6-7 schools. I bet majority of the 4* recruits go to one of 20 or so schools

we have schools who take the 55-6 ass whooping each year just to fund their athletic budget

we live in a world of haves and have nots already. the only difference is this might change which list your team falls under

Actually looking it up the revenue numbers for the top 25 teams aren't all that different, now obviously the current real rankings don't reflect to that list it isn't that much different

Edited: 10/1/19 2:56 PM
6/30/14

the only way this law doesn't stand, or hurts anyone besides the schools and the NCAA, is if California is the only state. they'll become isolated, their sponsorships won't be much because so few will care about their on the field/court product

but with Florida, SC, NC, NY, Colorado, and whoever else all looking to pass similar laws then more conferences and major schools and fanbases get involved.

there are some serious things that need to be addressed (caps, who manages the money, who approves the deals, what limits if any are there to the types on sponsorships, etc) but I think this is happening and I am all for it.

10/1/19 2:02 PM
6/30/14

everyone seems to think this will help female athletes

https://www.si.com/college-football/2019/05/25/california-fair-pay-play-act-end-ncaa-amateurism

"The NCAA might also be moved by the fact that many college athletes who would benefit from being able to sign endorsement deals are not those who will later earn millions of dollars in the NBA and NFL. Elite female athletes, for example, will not have the same lucrative earning opportunities when they turn pro. Take female basketball players. While the average NBA salary is $7.8 million, the average WNBA salary last season was $116,000--a relatively high salary when compared to the American workforce in general, but not when compared to NBA players. Their ability to sign endorsement deals and licensing contracts without jeopardizing their NCAA eligibility could prove valuable and, many would argue, morally fair.

Similarly, men and women college athletes who excel at swimming, track and other sports that lack robust pro leagues might benefit greatly by the ability to sign endorsement deals while they are in school--and while they are marketable to the public. For many of them, their window to profit from their unique talents is limited to their time in college. After college ends, they tend to take paths similar to their classmates: pursue jobs or enroll in graduate school."

10/1/19 2:06 PM
6/30/14
Russ -

"m in aerospace now and it's closer to what jayman is saying. Engineers are preferred and there aren't as many designers. "

I think this is essentially his point though

autocad is still used but as a strict designer it's less and less

all engineers are coming out of school with the ability to use it, making the designer pointless 

atleast that's the way I've understood it

hes coming across a bit smug but I think that's his point

of now I'll shut up and let you gents carry on lol

exactly.

how people cannot grasp that is crazy.

10/1/19 2:08 PM
3/29/13
Fan of Fanboys -
KaepernicksTheAppleOfMyEye - 
Fan of Fanboys -
Meohfumado - 
Matrix -
Meohfumado -
Matrix -
Matrix -

Dear NCAA,

not like it matters now

Actually looking it up the revenue numbers for the top 25 teams aren't all that different, now obviously the current real rankings don't reflect to that list it isn't that much different

I did not mention revenue for the top 25 schools though. the school revenue is not directly a factor here. with this law schools won't be paying players. and while football success increases revenue the idea that increasing revenue will increase football success does not hold true.

my point was we already live in a world of haves and have nots. so those who argue that this law will create that world are missing out on the fact that we already live in that world

I see what you mean, I misunderstood 

10/1/19 2:15 PM
6/30/14

yet another site that says this will not impact Title IX and instead thinks it will actually HELP female athletes more than the current system

https://theathletic.com/1255043/2019/09/30/the-athletic-roundtable-the-fair-pay-to-play-act-has-passed-in-california-what-now-for-college-athletics/

"It would have worked for Katie Ledecky as well as it could work for Trevor Lawrence. UCLA gymnast Katelyn Ohashi can cash in on her skyrocketing fame, and Tua Tagovailoa can get a cut of the Hawaiian-themed Alabama gear that hangs on the racks at the university supply store."

"In college, everyone would have the same opportunity to get paid extra -- hence no Title IX concerns -- but the market decides who gets paid extra."

"I realize that could mean a handful of athletes could make a ton of money, particularly with social media sponsorship deals. I also understand it means a world-class swimmer such as Katie Ledecky could sign a contract with TYR, the swimming apparel company, and still compete for Stanford. Tennis players and golfers could sign endorsement deals and still compete instead of, as the elite ones often do, leaving college early to turn pro.

How could anyone argue that college sports are better off without Ledecky swimming at Stanford or Jordan Spieth competing for Texas?"

10/1/19 2:17 PM
11/9/05

Yeah, Title IX will be unaffected. Fair Pay for Play has zero impact on how schools fund athletic programs.

10/1/19 2:18 PM
6/30/14

https://theathletic.com/1247501/2019/10/01/looking-into-the-ncaas-model-i-saw-it-was-egregious-athlete-compensation-has-become-a-bipartisan-matter/

people on both sides of the aisle support this

10/1/19 2:53 PM
4/21/09
Fan of Fanboys - yet another site that says this will not impact Title IX and instead thinks it will actually HELP female athletes more than the current system

https://theathletic.com/1255043/2019/09/30/the-athletic-roundtable-the-fair-pay-to-play-act-has-passed-in-california-what-now-for-college-athletics/

"It would have worked for Katie Ledecky as well as it could work for Trevor Lawrence. UCLA gymnast Katelyn Ohashi can cash in on her skyrocketing fame, and Tua Tagovailoa can get a cut of the Hawaiian-themed Alabama gear that hangs on the racks at the university supply store."

"In college, everyone would have the same opportunity to get paid extra -- hence no Title IX concerns -- but the market decides who gets paid extra."

"I realize that could mean a handful of athletes could make a ton of money, particularly with social media sponsorship deals. I also understand it means a world-class swimmer such as Katie Ledecky could sign a contract with TYR, the swimming apparel company, and still compete for Stanford. Tennis players and golfers could sign endorsement deals and still compete instead of, as the elite ones often do, leaving college early to turn pro.

How could anyone argue that college sports are better off without Ledecky swimming at Stanford or Jordan Spieth competing for Texas?"

Anyone arguing against this is a fool.

There is absolutely no reason a kid/anyone shouldn't profit from their likeness. 

10/1/19 3:19 PM
2/25/08

The final tally is in:

"$2,959,336.30! That's the official donation from
@CarsonKing2 @BuschBeer and @venmo to @UIchildrens! Amazing job Carson, amazing job Iowa!"