OtherGround Forums College Football Mega Thread 2019-2020

8/14/19 10:08 AM
2/22/11
Matrix -

Oh and scratch my offensive player Chin. Baylor Cupp is most likely out for the season with a nasty break and ligament (ankle) damage.

Damn that's a big loss 

8/14/19 10:19 AM
6/30/14
Matrix - 
Fan of Fanboys -
Matrix -
Fan of Fanboys -
Matrix - 

That's a weird ass list right there in an extremely weird ass order.

that is the percentage of players for each team that were rated 4* or higher
to win a natty you need 50% or more of your players to be blue chip recruits

A&M will probably be there next season, I am sure they are really close as it is

It's not about A&M. There are some teams on there that are laughable at winning a natty.

Not that they'll win it, just that they're the only ones who have enough talent to win 

Other factors like schedule, how much of that talent is experienced, schedule, etc 

But since the start of modern recruiting rankings no team that didn't meet the minimum talent threshold has won a title

And no freshmen ever won a heisman until some fella did..

I get what the list is but it's still a weird looking list to me. There's been a few this summer so this doesn't surprise me lol.

well you can bet the field and I'll take this list. can do it every season until the field wins ha

this list has no emotion, 100% based on recruiting rankings. recruit well enough and a team makes the list. this list also does not account for transfers so there could be teams that o or do not qualify that are not listed. and it is not predicting the champ, only saying the champ has to come from this list. it is not saying Ohio St is the favorite or anything

could probably remove 10 or more teams from that list once dive deeper than just blue chip ratio.

I am too lazy to look but I wonder the 16 teams with the best odds are per vegas and how it compares to that list. I think I remember reading the list has more teams than usual this season too. most years have like 10-12 or something
8/14/19 10:19 AM
6/30/14
Matrix - 

Oh and scratch my offensive player Chin. Baylor Cupp is most likely out for the season with a nasty break and ligament (ankle) damage.

saw that. what a blow. sucks for him
8/14/19 10:26 AM
7/15/11

The better list every year is the one that accounts for the past 4 or 5 recruiting cycles. Teams that at least average top 10 finishes win the natty every year. It would reduce that list by a few I guarantee you.

And bc you think it's about A&M... They would be out of that list as well.

8/14/19 10:28 AM
7/15/11
HernanCortes -
Matrix -

Damn that's a big loss 

Beal and Werdemeyer (I'm sure I botched that lol) are legit but yes it sucks. Werd is a cat Jimbo has been raving about along with Cupp so we'll see. He knows how to utilize TE's that's for sure.

8/14/19 10:41 AM
6/30/14
Matrix - 

The better list every year is the one that accounts for the past 4 or 5 recruiting cycles. Teams that at least average top 10 finishes win the natty every year. It would reduce that list by a few I guarantee you.

I think we are talking about the same list. if not, link to which you are talking about? and I never sai it was about A&M, only that I bet they are close to the 50% mark and will be on this list soon

this is the ratio of four- and five-star recruits ("blue-chips") to two- and three-stars over a four-year period. you aren't pulling regular top 10 classes without that anyway

https://www.sbnation.com/college-football-recruiting/2018/7/26/17607382/blue-chip-ratio-recruit-national-title-championship-playoff

"Are you saying this is all teams need to do to win a national championship?

Absolutely not. Think of this as a necessary but not sufficient condition. You need difference makers."
8/14/19 10:43 AM
6/30/14

https://www.thekeyplay.com/content/2019/august/8/blue-chip-ratio-2019

Who is sitting on the bubble...

[There is a] lack of teams in the 38-48 range, a mark that usually suggests a team might be just one class away from making the jump. Texas A&M, Stanford, Tennessee, and Oregon are the only 4 in that range right now.

Biggest risers and fallers...

The pool of teams examined here are those who had at least a 20 percent BCR in the previous year...

Up: Washington (14%), Florida (11%), Georgia (10%), Oklahoma (7%), Penn State (7%)

Edited: 8/14/19 11:07 AM
7/15/11
Fan of Fanboys -
Matrix - 

I think we are talking about the same list. if not, link to which you are talking about? and I never sai it was about A&M, only that I bet they are close to the 50% mark and will be on this list soon

this is the ratio of four- and five-star recruits ("blue-chips") to two- and three-stars over a four-year period. you aren't pulling regular top 10 classes without that anyway

https://www.sbnation.com/college-football-recruiting/2018/7/26/17607382/blue-chip-ratio-recruit-national-title-championship-playoff

Absolutely not. Think of this as a necessary but not sufficient condition. You need difference makers."

No it's not the list I'm talking about. A team has to average better than 10 in the recruiting rankings (composite) for 4 or 5 cycles.

I haven't seen the list this year so I'll see if I can find it.

Miami?! LMAO 

Listen, the list was just weird to me but I will see if I can find this years list. I suppose you could just average the teams but I ain't got time for that lol.

8/14/19 11:03 AM
4/9/19
Fan of Fanboys -
JayMan -

I just hope Alabama gets to take Georgia's soul again.

You're banned 

I have good reasons.

I was in Athens working on a contract during the Alabama/Georgia national championship game.  I went out and watched the game with some co workers.  I didn't wear any Alabama gear.  I was respectful.  People would ask me where my Georgia shirt was.  I would tell them I was from Alabama.  I was cursed.  I was told to get the fuck out.  When Georgia was winning people were in my face yelling.  It was to the point that I thought I was going to have to fight.  I was as polite about it as I could be.  I never said Roll Tide.  I heard "fuck Alabama" and "Fuck Saban" chants all night.  Everyone was talking like Georgia had kicked Alabama's ass for the last 50 years.  Everyone was so sure Georgia was going to win.

After Alabama came back and won?  Silence.  Athens was dead silent.  I walked out of the bar and I swear to god the first thing I heard was crying.  The second was "I'm never watching football again" while crying.  It was amazing.  I've never seen a town go from so loud, to so quiet.  

Of course, I took my Alabama tag off my car that night.  I was staying in a hotel in the middle of downtown.  I'm sure that wouldn't have ended well.

8/14/19 11:10 AM
6/30/14
Matrix - 
Fan of Fanboys -
Matrix - 

No it's not the list I'm talking about. A team has to average better than 10 in the recruiting rankings (composite) for 4 or 5 cycles.

Miami?! LMAO 

Listen, the list was just weird to me but I will see if I can find this years list. I suppose you could just average the teams but I ain't got time for that lol.

I've never seen the list you are referring to but I bet they are similar

it is all about having more high end talent than not. if both look at 4 years and both look at rankings I don't see why you are so flabbergasted. miami has more 4* and 5* players than 2* and 3*. that is a fact, not an opinion. that is no way indicates they will win the natty or that you should bet on them. all it means is a team that does not meet that criteria won't win the natty.
8/14/19 11:12 AM
6/30/14
JayMan - 
Fan of Fanboys -
JayMan -

You're banned 

I have good reasons.

I was in Athens working on a contract during the Alabama/Georgia national championship game.  I went out and watched the game with some co workers.  I didn't wear any Alabama gear.  I was respectful.  People would ask me where my Georgia shirt was.  I would tell them I was from Alabama.  I was cursed.  I was told to get the fuck out.  When Georgia was winning people were in my face yelling.  It was to the point that I thought I was going to have to fight.  I was as polite about it as I could be.  I never said Roll Tide.  I heard "fuck Alabama" and "Fuck Saban" chants all night.  Everyone was talking like Georgia had kicked Alabama's ass for the last 50 years.  Everyone was so sure Georgia was going to win.

After Alabama came back and won?  Silence.  Athens was dead silent.  I walked out of the bar and I swear to god the first thing I heard was crying.  The second was "I'm never watching football again" while crying.  It was amazing.  I've never seen a town go from so loud, to so quiet.  

Of course, I took my Alabama tag off my car that night.  I was staying in a hotel in the middle of downtown.  I'm sure that wouldn't have ended well.

gotcha

I was at a UGA vs USC game a few years ago, of course UGA won. I heard a guy yelling and cursing at his g/f (I assume it was his g/f) about how she knows this shit is his life and such. I have had several USC fans try to fight me, one I did punch because he got in my son's face.

that was a pretty emotional night for the UGA fanbase. not that some of those guys are not assholes, they are
8/14/19 11:17 AM
6/30/14

so are none of you fanooks coming to the A&M v Clemson game?

8/14/19 11:20 AM
7/15/11
Fan of Fanboys -
Matrix - 
Fan of Fanboys -
Matrix - 

Miami?! LMAO 

it is all about having more high end talent than not. if both look at 4 years and both look at rankings I don't see why you are so flabbergasted. miami has more 4* and 5* players than 2* and 3*. that is a fact, not an opinion. that is no way indicates they will win the natty or that you should bet on them. all it means is a team that does not meet that criteria won't win the natty.

"Flabbergasted"? I said weird and I'll put 1000 to your 100 that Miami doesn't win a title. Should've typed LMFAO

8/14/19 11:21 AM
7/15/11
Fan of Fanboys - so are none of you fanooks coming to the A&M v Clemson game?

Nah pimpin.. Got other obligations unfortunately.

8/14/19 11:24 AM
4/9/19
Fan of Fanboys -
JayMan - 
Fan of Fanboys -
JayMan -

You're banned 

I have good reasons.

gotcha

I was at a UGA vs USC game a few years ago, of course UGA won. I heard a guy yelling and cursing at his g/f (I assume it was his g/f) about how she knows this shit is his life and such. I have had several USC fans try to fight me, one I did punch because he got in my son's face.

that was a pretty emotional night for the UGA fanbase. not that some of those guys are not assholes, they are

That's just football in the South.  I get it.  Alabama fans are the same in the right situation.  I'm sure all teams have those types.  Not to mention I was in the middle of UGA campus.  These kids wanted UGA to win a national championship when they went to school there.  They were emotionally invested, but still assholes.

But it did give me a good reason to make UGA my football nemesis.  I will never forget the silence after that game.  I don't want them to forget it either...hahahha

8/14/19 11:28 AM
7/15/11
JayMan -
Fan of Fanboys -
JayMan - 
Fan of Fanboys -
JayMan -

You're banned 

I have good reasons.

gotcha

That's just football in the South.  I get it.  Alabama fans are the same in the right situation.  I'm sure all teams have those types.  Not to mention I was in the middle of UGA campus.  These kids wanted UGA to win a national championship when they went to school there.  They were emotionally invested, but still assholes.

But it did give me a good reason to make UGA my football nemesis.  I will never forget the silence after that game.  I don't want them to forget it either...hahahha

Come to an A&M game. I'd bet you don't hear that BS. Some friendly banter, yes.

Now in any stadium if you're sitting in the student section GOOD LUCK.

8/14/19 11:31 AM
6/30/14
Matrix - 
Fan of Fanboys -
Matrix - 
Fan of Fanboys -
Matrix - 

Miami?! LMAO 

"Flabbergasted"? I said weird and I'll put 1000 to your 100 that Miami doesn't win a title. Should've typed LMFAO

well, I was pretty clear being on the list does not equal champions. it just means if you are not on the list you won't be a champion

I'll do 1000 to 100 and I take the list and you take the field
8/14/19 11:35 AM
6/30/14

https://www.si.com/college-football/2019/college-football-best-college-towns-cities

College Football's Greatest College Towns

10. Charlottesville, Virginia
The University of Virginia's campus is as beautiful as it is historical, and if you don't get your full dose of Thomas Jefferson history there, make a trip to Monticello to visit his home. (Actually, no matter what, visit Monticello.) The downtown mall is a great spot to shop and eat off campus, and it's worth straying even farther and spending time in the nearby Blue Ridge Mountains, too.

9. College Station, Texas
It takes a long drive through nothing to get to College Station, but once you arrive, it's all worth it. Home to one of the best gameday experiences in the country--you haven't lived until you've felt Kyle Field sway--the culture around Aggie football is enough to justify a trip to the home of Texas A&M. George H.W. Bush's presidential library is also worth a trip, as is the Dixie Chicken for fried food and beer

8. Knoxville, Tennessee
Knoxville mixes a southern vibe with that of a mountain town, and a good part of its attraction is the nearby Smoky Mountains, which lend a beautiful backdrop and are also a great weekend escape. Market Square is a great place to spend the day checking out stands at the farmer's market, or take advantage of the brewery and music scenes. Plus, gamedays here are an orange-washed experience you can't miss.

7. Oxford, Mississippi
Oxford may be best known for the Grove, the site of some of the most epic tailgating in America, but the town itself extends beyond gamedays. The Square, which is the center of the town and looks like a step back in time, offers fine dining (City Grocery) as well as other great eats and shopping. Plus, the city oozes with history; visit William Faulkner's home for a glimpse of its past.

6. Boulder, Colorado
Even though Denver has essentially crept to the edge of Boulder's boundaries, the home of the University of Colorado remains an altogether separate experience from the state's largest city. With the beautiful Flatirons in the background, visit downtown's Pearl Street Mall for food and shopping--or just go up to the mountains themselves. Boulder also has great public transit and is about as bike-friendly as a city can be.

5. Columbia, Missouri
Columbia features one of the more unique architectural touches on a college campus, the Columns, which are six limestone columns that survived an 1894 fire that destroyed the building to which they'd been attached. But beyond the weird beauty of that campus landmark, Columbia boasts a vibrant art scene. The Blue Note, a local music venue, attracts a solid lineup each year, as does the Roots n Blues n BBQ Festival every fall. And there's plenty of good food to choose from: Booches for burgers, Shakespeare's for pizza, and Addison's for what might be the country's most unique nachos.

4. Ann Arbor, Michigan
The University of Michigan itself is one of the most picturesque college campuses in America, and the town surrounding it offers great food, festivals and museums. Ann Arbor boasts tons of parks, and outdoor activities are easy to come by in the warmer months. In the fall and winter, Michigan football and basketball are enough to keep even a reluctant sports fan entertained. Plus, the town is just a quick drive away from Detroit and all the benefits of a larger city.

3. Austin, Texas
Sometimes it can feel like a stretch to call Austin a college town; really, it's one of America's fastest-growing cities. Still, it retains its hippie, college-town vibe, no matter the growth. Eat barbecue, visit 6th Street and Rainey Street, enjoy a day outdoors on Lady Bird Lake (or Lake Travis if you're up for the drive).

2. Athens, Georgia
With 80 bars in a single square mile, Athens has more bars per capita than any other city in the United States. And when drinking there, you can feel the truth of that statement. On top of that, you're going to be drinking great beer--the city is home to an emerging craft brewery scene. The food is great--go to Mama's Boy for breakfast--as is the music scene. R.E.M., the Drive-By Truckers, the B-52 and Widespread Panic all made their names in Athens.

1. Madison, Wisconsin
Nestled around Lakes Mendota and Monona, Madison is about as picturesque as it gets, and the Terrace at Memorial Union on campus at the University of Wisconsin might be the most delightful spot in the Midwest--at least four months out of the year. And when it's too cold to take advantage of the lakes, Madison offers a great food and bar scene--drink Spotted Cow while you're within the Wisconsin state lines--plus, it's worthwhile to freeze for a late-season football game here.

8/14/19 11:36 AM
7/15/11
Fan of Fanboys -
Matrix - 
Fan of Fanboys -
Matrix - 
Fan of Fanboys -
Matrix - 

Miami?! LMAO 

well, I was pretty clear being on the list does not equal champions. it just means if you are not on the list you won't be a champion

See here you go... I never said anyone on the outside of that list would win but you sure stuck up for how much talent Miami has.

Can I not say a list looks fucking weird to me? Is that not aloud Fanny? Some of those teams have NO CHANCE of winning a natty and you know it. Sorry for being honest.

8/14/19 11:38 AM
4/9/19
Fan of Fanboys - https://www.si.com/college-football/2019/college-football-best-college-towns-cities

The University of Virginia's campus is as beautiful as it is historical, and if you don't get your full dose of Thomas Jefferson history there, make a trip to Monticello to visit his home. (Actually, no matter what, visit Monticello.) The downtown mall is a great spot to shop and eat off campus, and it's worth straying even farther and spending time in the nearby Blue Ridge Mountains, too.

It takes a long drive through nothing to get to College Station, but once you arrive, it's all worth it. Home to one of the best gameday experiences in the country--you haven't lived until you've felt Kyle Field sway--the culture around Aggie football is enough to justify a trip to the home of Texas A&M. George H.W. Bush's presidential library is also worth a trip, as is the Dixie Chicken for fried food and beer

8. Knoxville, Tennessee
Knoxville mixes a southern vibe with that of a mountain town, and a good part of its attraction is the nearby Smoky Mountains, which lend a beautiful backdrop and are also a great weekend escape. Market Square is a great place to spend the day checking out stands at the farmer's market, or take advantage of the brewery and music scenes. Plus, gamedays here are an orange-washed experience you can't miss.

7. Oxford, Mississippi
Oxford may be best known for the Grove, the site of some of the most epic tailgating in America, but the town itself extends beyond gamedays. The Square, which is the center of the town and looks like a step back in time, offers fine dining (City Grocery) as well as other great eats and shopping. Plus, the city oozes with history; visit William Faulkner's home for a glimpse of its past.

6. Boulder, Colorado
Even though Denver has essentially crept to the edge of Boulder's boundaries, the home of the University of Colorado remains an altogether separate experience from the state's largest city. With the beautiful Flatirons in the background, visit downtown's Pearl Street Mall for food and shopping--or just go up to the mountains themselves. Boulder also has great public transit and is about as bike-friendly as a city can be.

5. Columbia, Missouri
Columbia features one of the more unique architectural touches on a college campus, the Columns, which are six limestone columns that survived an 1894 fire that destroyed the building to which they'd been attached. But beyond the weird beauty of that campus landmark, Columbia boasts a vibrant art scene. The Blue Note, a local music venue, attracts a solid lineup each year, as does the Roots n Blues n BBQ Festival every fall. And there's plenty of good food to choose from: Booches for burgers, Shakespeare's for pizza, and Addison's for what might be the country's most unique nachos.

4. Ann Arbor, Michigan
The University of Michigan itself is one of the most picturesque college campuses in America, and the town surrounding it offers great food, festivals and museums. Ann Arbor boasts tons of parks, and outdoor activities are easy to come by in the warmer months. In the fall and winter, Michigan football and basketball are enough to keep even a reluctant sports fan entertained. Plus, the town is just a quick drive away from Detroit and all the benefits of a larger city.

3. Austin, Texas
Sometimes it can feel like a stretch to call Austin a college town; really, it's one of America's fastest-growing cities. Still, it retains its hippie, college-town vibe, no matter the growth. Eat barbecue, visit 6th Street and Rainey Street, enjoy a day outdoors on Lady Bird Lake (or Lake Travis if you're up for the drive).

2. Athens, Georgia
With 80 bars in a single square mile, Athens has more bars per capita than any other city in the United States. And when drinking there, you can feel the truth of that statement. On top of that, you're going to be drinking great beer--the city is home to an emerging craft brewery scene. The food is great--go to Mama's Boy for breakfast--as is the music scene. R.E.M., the Drive-By Truckers, the B-52 and Widespread Panic all made their names in Athens.

1. Madison, Wisconsin
Nestled around Lakes Mendota and Monona, Madison is about as picturesque as it gets, and the Terrace at Memorial Union on campus at the University of Wisconsin might be the most delightful spot in the Midwest--at least four months out of the year. And when it's too cold to take advantage of the lakes, Madison offers a great food and bar scene--drink Spotted Cow while you're within the Wisconsin state lines--plus, it's worthwhile to freeze for a late-season football game here.

Don't get me wrong, I liked Athens.  I was staying downtown.  The bar/restaurant scene is pretty badass.  I wish I had been single at that time.  It could have been very fun.  

So many homeless though, and they will try to scam your ass.  I watched a co worker try to buy cocaine on 3 different occasions and all 3 times the dudes took his money and disappeared..lol

8/14/19 11:40 AM
6/30/14
Matrix - 
Fan of Fanboys -
Matrix - 
Fan of Fanboys -
Matrix - 
Fan of Fanboys -
Matrix - 

Miami?! LMAO 

See here you go... I never said anyone on the outside of that list would win but you sure stuck up for how much talent Miami has.

Can I not say a list looks fucking weird to me? Is that not aloud Fanny? Some of those teams have NO CHANCE of winning a natty and you know it. Sorry for being honest.

"Some of those teams have NO CHANCE of winning a natty and you know it"

I do know that, I have said it more than once. I even said could remove 10+ of those teams from a legit chance to win the natty this year

"you sure stuck up for how much talent Miami has."

it is not sticking up, it is just a fact. per 247 composite they have more 4* and 5* rankings. it is impossible to disagree because it is a fact.

this list is just about a talent ratio, nothing else. it would be exactly the same concept as your top 10 list.
8/14/19 11:41 AM
6/30/14
JayMan - 
Fan of Fanboys - https://www.si.com/college-football/2019/college-football-best-college-towns-cities

8. Knoxville, Tennessee

7. Oxford, Mississippi

6. Boulder, Colorado

5. Columbia, Missouri

4. Ann Arbor, Michigan

3. Austin, Texas

2. Athens, Georgia

1. Madison, Wisconsin

Don't get me wrong, I liked Athens.  I was staying downtown.  The bar/restaurant scene is pretty badass.  I wish I had been single at that time.  It could have been very fun.  

So many homeless though, and they will try to scam your ass.  I watched a co worker try to buy cocaine on 3 different occasions and all 3 times the dudes took his money and disappeared..lol

damn, what is the world coming to when coke dealers are not trustworthy? lol
8/14/19 11:45 AM
7/15/11
Fan of Fanboys -
Matrix - 
Fan of Fanboys -
Matrix - 
Fan of Fanboys -
Matrix - 
Fan of Fanboys -
Matrix - 

Miami?! LMAO 

"Some of those teams have NO CHANCE of winning a natty and you know it"

I do know that, I have said it more than once. I even said could remove 10+ of those teams from a legit chance to win the natty this year

"you sure stuck up for how much talent Miami has."

it is not sticking up, it is just a fact. per 247 composite they have more 4* and 5* rankings. it is impossible to disagree because it is a fact.

this list is just about a talent ratio, nothing else. it would be exactly the same concept as your top 10 list.

Ok well the list is weird looking to ME and funny as hell.

8/14/19 11:52 AM
11/9/05

"Can I not say a list looks fucking weird to me? Is that not aloud Fanny? Some of those teams have NO CHANCE of winning a natty and you know it. Sorry for being honest."

You're hung up on the way he described the list. Since no team under the ratio has ever won the title, he's saying only the teams above it have a chance. It's not his opinion, it's what history suggests.

It doesn't mean it's a statement of fact. The ratio isn't a set in stone prerequisite, and there's a first time for everything. If A&M won it this year, the ratio "requirement" would simply change, just as it has before.

The list isn't weird if you look at it for what it is, just a list of schools that had a string of recent recruiting success.

8/14/19 11:53 AM
4/9/19
Fan of Fanboys -
JayMan - 

8. Knoxville, Tennessee

7. Oxford, Mississippi

6. Boulder, Colorado

5. Columbia, Missouri

4. Ann Arbor, Michigan

3. Austin, Texas

2. Athens, Georgia

1. Madison, Wisconsin

damn, what is the world coming to when coke dealers are not trustworthy? lol

That's what I said.  He's trying to sell coke.  He's obviously not a straight up guy.  Don't fucking hand him cash and let him walk away.