OtherGround Forums College Football Mega Thread 2019-2020

3 days ago
7/15/11
itskrisdude -

“Can I not say a list looks fucking weird to me? Is that not aloud Fanny? Some of those teams have NO CHANCE of winning a natty and you know it. Sorry for being honest.”

You’re hung up on the way he described the list. Since no team under the ratio has ever won the title, he’s saying only the teams above it have a chance. It’s not his opinion, it’s what history suggests.

It doesn’t mean it’s a statement of fact. The ratio isn’t a set in stone prerequisite, and there’s a first time for everything. If A&M won it this year, the ratio “requirement” would simply change, just as it has before.

The list isn’t weird if you look at it for what it is, just a list of schools that had a string of recent recruiting success.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/college-football-recruiting-schools-with-best-class-rankings-on-average-over-the-past-five-years/

This is the list I was referring to. It’s like 7 teams and yes I’d say FSU is a joke too.

3 days ago
7/15/11

Because it looks weird doesn’t mean it’s not accurate, right? Some teams could make lol and still be on the list.

3 days ago
11/9/05

When I look at those lists all I see is what a joke USC’s coaching staff is.

3 days ago
7/15/11
itskrisdude -

When I look at those lists all I see is what a joke USC’s coaching staff is.

Oh I agree 100%

3 days ago
7/15/11

My point really was there’s about 4 or 5 teams that stand a Chance right now.

3 days ago
6/30/14
Matrix - 

My point really was there’s about 4 or 5 teams that stand a Chance right now.

I think the people who create the list would also agree
3 days ago
3/29/13
Fan of Fanboys - so are none of you fanooks coming to the A&M v Clemson game?

I'll be there most likely, also auburn in 2010 does not meet your 50% blue chip thresh hold

3 days ago
6/30/14
Matrix - 
itskrisdude -

“Can I not say a list looks fucking weird to me? Is that not aloud Fanny? Some of those teams have NO CHANCE of winning a natty and you know it. Sorry for being honest.”

You’re hung up on the way he described the list. Since no team under the ratio has ever won the title, he’s saying only the teams above it have a chance. It’s not his opinion, it’s what history suggests.

It doesn’t mean it’s a statement of fact. The ratio isn’t a set in stone prerequisite, and there’s a first time for everything. If A&M won it this year, the ratio “requirement” would simply change, just as it has before.

The list isn’t weird if you look at it for what it is, just a list of schools that had a string of recent recruiting success.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/college-football-recruiting-schools-with-best-class-rankings-on-average-over-the-past-five-years/

This is the list I was referring to. It’s like 7 teams and yes I’d say FSU is a joke too.

the 4 year vs 5 ranking will make a difference. the blue chip ratio said Miami, for example, only made it because it's terrible 2015 class dropped off

but of the top 13 teams the two lists both have 8 of the same 13. so they are pretty close to each other. counting or not counting 2015

Your list has 12 of the 13 in their top 25. only miami is missing and that is due to their 2015 class which was ranked 27th.

it'll be interesting to see what it looks like in a couple years. When Manny and Jimbo and others get a few more of their own classes in.
3 days ago
6/30/14
KaepernicksTheAppleOfMyEye - 

I'll be there most likely, also auburn in 2010 does not meet your 50% blue chip thresh hold

well it is not my threshold but the creator of it says this about Auburn, emphasis on the last paragraph:

So what was that about 2010 Auburn?
Either due to data changing after the fact, via industry contraction/expansion/merger, or perhaps due to an error of my own, 2010 Auburn no longer seems to meet 50 percent in the BCR.

Absent using the Wayback Machine, Scout rankings are no longer available. For some Auburn signees, like Jonathon Mincy, the Composite shows that he did not have a star rating from any service, but I know that is not true because Rivals, Scout, and ESPN had him as a graded prospect. There is something going on with how the data is imported or calculated in some of these Auburn classes.

Auburn also was one of the teams who took advantage of the old rules governing the number of signees allowed in a given year. With no real limit on the number of signees, but rather just on enrollees, Auburn would sign scores of players with little to no chance of qualifying, likely to give the player some motivation to complete junior college and come back and enroll in two years.

The 2007 Auburn press release on its class has six such examples, using the following phrase:

“Expected to enroll in junior college/prep school before entering Auburn.”

Those letters, of course, are not binding. From 2007-09, Auburn had 17 such signees not enroll. It signed an incredible 117 prospects in that span, a brilliant exploitation of the loophole, which really throws my data out of whack. Under newer NCAA oversigning rules, teams cannot hand out letters of intent like candy, and so this practice has largely stopped.

In any case, while I am confident that Auburn did meet the threshold when I was back-testing the model a half-decade ago, I can no longer back it up with proof like I can the more recent champions.
3 days ago
3/29/13
Fan of Fanboys -

well it is not my threshold but the creator of it says this about Auburn, emphasis on the last paragraph:

Either due to data changing after the fact, via industry contraction/expansion/merger, or perhaps due to an error of my own, 2010 Auburn no longer seems to meet 50 percent in the BCR.

Absent using the Wayback Machine, Scout rankings are no longer available. For some Auburn signees, like Jonathon Mincy, the Composite shows that he did not have a star rating from any service, but I know that is not true because Rivals, Scout, and ESPN had him as a graded prospect. There is something going on with how the data is imported or calculated in some of these Auburn classes.

Auburn also was one of the teams who took advantage of the old rules governing the number of signees allowed in a given year. With no real limit on the number of signees, but rather just on enrollees, Auburn would sign scores of players with little to no chance of qualifying, likely to give the player some motivation to complete junior college and come back and enroll in two years.

The 2007 Auburn press release on its class has six such examples, using the following phrase:

Those letters, of course, are not binding. From 2007-09, Auburn had 17 such signees not enroll. It signed an incredible 117 prospects in that span, a brilliant exploitation of the loophole, which really throws my data out of whack. Under newer NCAA oversigning rules, teams cannot hand out letters of intent like candy, and so this practice has largely stopped.

In any case, while I am confident that Auburn did meet the threshold when I was back-testing the model a half-decade ago, I can no longer back it up with proof like I can the more recent champions.

Yeah I know, I just like to look for loopholes, looks like he only went back to 2005 too

3 days ago
6/30/14
Fan of Fanboys -

Yeah I know, I just like to look for loopholes, looks like he only went back to 2005 too

rankings I guess were not very good back then

one thing he mentions is rankings have become more accurate over the years, will see how that impacts future predictions

3 days ago
6/30/14
Does anyone use a legal streaming service to watch football? I am debating between PS Vue or YouTube TV. The NFL Network with Vue has me leaning towards them.
3 days ago
3/29/13
Fan of Fanboys - Does anyone use a legal streaming service to watch football? I am debating between PS Vue or YouTube TV. The NFL Network with Vue has me leaning towards them.

I used YouTube last year and it lagged a lot, looks like they also doubled the price, I'm gonna use vue this year assuming they have acc network 

3 days ago
6/30/14
Fan of Fanboys - Does anyone use a legal streaming service to watch football? I am debating between PS Vue or YouTube TV. The NFL Network with Vue has me leaning towards them.

I used YouTube last year and it lagged a lot, looks like they also doubled the price, I'm gonna use vue this year assuming they have acc network 

good info, I am testing Vue out this weekend for the Browns preseason game. I'll let you know how it works
3 days ago
6/30/14
Matrix and HC,

SDS is doing their regular season predictions and they have A&M at 7-5, losing to their big time opponents. I know with the schedule and recruits coming in that '20 is the season for y'all to start really making noise but no way they go 7-5, right?

Alabama
Clemson
UGA
LSU
Auburn

I think y'all win vs Auburn and potentially vs UGA or LSU. Not sure which yet.

I imagine the fanbase would not be happy with 0-5. Would 1-4 even be accepted? I know 0-5 won't equal him being fired but it would really ramp up the hot seat for next year, right?
3 days ago
6/30/14

nice, we should meet up. come by the tailgate

out parking spot got moved this year to the Brooks Center. Trying to exchange for a lot 23 pass but not sure it happens
3 days ago
7/15/11
KaepernicksTheAppleOfMyEye -

We have YouTube tv and absolutely love it. Our internet speed is very fast though.

3 days ago
7/15/11
Fan of Fanboys - Matrix and HC,

SDS is doing their regular season predictions and they have A&M at 7-5, losing to their big time opponents. I know with the schedule and recruits coming in that '20 is the season for y'all to start really making noise but no way they go 7-5, right?

Alabama
Clemson
UGA
LSU
Auburn

I imagine the fanbase would not be happy with 0-5. Would 1-4 even be accepted? I know 0-5 won't equal him being fired but it would really ramp up the hot seat for next year, right?

I don’t know. I said from the beginning 2020 was the year I would get critical. 8-4 would be fine this year but I really think 9-3 is doable. I honestly think 10-2 is possible but like I said 2020 is the year for me. The two things that Jimbo has changed dramatically are the toughness mentally and physically. Schmidt has done an outstanding job and Jimbos personality rubs off.

Just really want to see improvement. Mond will be the key imo.

3 days ago
6/30/14
Matrix - 
KaepernicksTheAppleOfMyEye -

We have YouTube tv and absolutely love it. Our internet speed is very fast though.

I have gigbit fiber wired into tv, so speed should no be an issue

going to use the free trial period for each I guess. price difference is minimal between the two
3 days ago
6/30/14
Matrix - 

Alabama
Clemson
UGA
LSU
Auburn

I don’t know. I said from the beginning 2020 was the year I would get critical. 8-4 would be fine this year but I really think 9-3 is doable. I honestly think 10-2 is possible but like I said 2020 is the year for me. The two things that Jimbo has changed dramatically are the toughness mentally and physically. Schmidt has done an outstanding job and Jimbos personality rubs off.

but way you'd be content with 0-5, right? not saying fireable, I love the Jimbo hire, but he has to win at least one of those 5 right?
3 days ago
7/15/11
Fan of Fanboys -
Matrix - 

Alabama
Clemson
UGA
LSU
Auburn

but way you'd be content with 0-5, right? not saying fireable, I love the Jimbo hire, but he has to win at least one of those 5 right?

Yeah that would be very frustrating. Honestly we should’ve been 9-3 last year. We had Auburn until BamBam opened his mouth!!! ;))

3 days ago
6/30/14
Matrix - 
Fan of Fanboys -
Matrix - 

Alabama
Clemson
UGA
LSU
Auburn

Yeah that would be very frustrating. Honestly we should’ve been 9-3 last year. We had Auburn until BamBam opened his mouth!!! ;))

bambam is the nicest guy I fucking hate haha
3 days ago
7/15/11

That’s right! Lol

3 days ago
7/15/11

1 day ago
6/30/14
https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/sec-football/25-most-unwatchable-games-college-football-2019/

I usually don't find much humor in their witty articles but this one had a couple good lines