OtherGround Forums College Football Mega Thread 2019-2020

9/5/19 10:09 AM
3/29/13
AnthonyWeiner - I am wondering how the loss of four defensive linemen to the NFL is going to effect Clemson. Yeah, the rest of their defense is improved, but that's a huge loss. Being able to dominate the line of scrimmage, every play without fail, is an almost insurmountable advantage.

And we really won't know until they play a quality opponent.

I agree, correct me if I'm wrong though, other than venables first year at Clemson he has never had a defense outside the top 10, I don't  It think this year will be different, and let's not act like this d line is a bunch of bums, most of them were 5 star recruits

9/5/19 10:17 AM
6/30/14
AnthonyWeiner - I am wondering how the loss of four defensive linemen to the NFL is going to effect Clemson. Yeah, the rest of their defense is improved, but that's a huge loss. Being able to dominate the line of scrimmage, every play without fail, is an almost insurmountable advantage.

it can't be better. even if the talent is better they lack as much big game experience, though not without some

but it also won't be as big of a drop as some expect, for three reasons

first, they have guys on that line that were top 15 players coming out of HS. not top 15 in their position, top 15 overall. and they are not true freshman, they have game day experience

which leads to point two: no team in the country plays more players than Clemson. while many teams play 40-55 guys a game Clemson averages damn near everyone on the roster. here is an article from last year talking about that

https://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2018/10/21/18004576/clemson-nc-state-results-2018-depth-roster-backups

and third they have venables. he is proven one of the very best DCs in the game. it is not a guy who got lucky with a couple of recruits for a couple of big seasons. he can flat out coach

it won't be the Dline of last season but there won't be a huge drop off either, especially as the season goes on
9/5/19 10:19 AM
6/30/14
HernanCortes - 
KaepernicksTheAppleOfMyEye -
HernanCortes -
HernanCortes -
EnderinAK -
AnthonyWeiner - LOL @ Florida still being top 10.
LOL @ Nebraska moving into the top 25.

Do voters even watch these games?

A lot of these media pundits can't possibly do more than watch a few highlights, listening to a boxing like Max Kellermen act like he has some idea what happened in the games when he clearly didn't watch them just pisses me off.  I am a known Bama homer and I watched the Bama game very closely, Clemson's game very closely and Oklahoma's game very closely.  Because I am a Bama fan I am rooting for Jalen, that said it was without a doubt a no brainer for Tua to come in as the starter last year.  All these guys are talking like Jalen was somehow robbed of his job.  Jalen had an amazing game but the competition level was nothing.  I am not syaing Houston is absolutely horrible but they are absolutely horrible on defense at least.  80% of his passes were to completely wide open receivers.  Jalen will have some ungodly stats this year but the competition is so much lower.  It is weird because I want him to excel but I watched Bama young offensive line not give Tua time to throw and Tua making very quick, accurate throws all game and people acting like Tua and Bama struggles because of their first two drives of the game.  Clemson was downright scary winning so big when Lawrence had his worst game of his career.  I am defintiely watching the Texas A&M game this weekend.  Clemson is a way different team than they were early last year though.  I do want to see if A&M can challenge their young line this year.  End of novel.

Their line will definitely be challenged as A&M has a very experienced D line with 2 players that will probably be in NFL. Not as good as Clemson's D line last year, but still enough to compete with the big schools. 

A&M's O line should be fine considering they did well against Clemson's D line last year and everyone is returning. 

Can't wait for the game. I'm definitely a fan of Clemson's RB, but you're right that it does look like a different team (at least very early on). Renfroe was very underrated and helped Lawrence out and that D line is gone to NFL. 

This will probably be Clemson's toughest game and then they just have to beat Syracuse 

Renfrow was good, Ross is better. The o line is probably better than last year, the d line is still packed with 5 stars and KB won't be in the game. And let's not mention the secondary is light years better than last year

38-17 Clemson

Would you say this year's Clemson team is better than last year? 

I believe the offense is much better and the defense outside of the d line is much better, especially compared to this time last year it's not close

Last year's D Line for Clemson surely has to be better but we will see. That D line got the best of Bama..... 

A&M is same team with more experience on both sides of ball. We shall see...

the line on that game, especially when it first opened, made no sense to me. it was like 21 and I think down to around 17

9/5/19 10:19 AM
9/22/16
KaepernicksTheAppleOfMyEye - 
AnthonyWeiner - I am wondering how the loss of four defensive linemen to the NFL is going to effect Clemson. Yeah, the rest of their defense is improved, but that's a huge loss. Being able to dominate the line of scrimmage, every play without fail, is an almost insurmountable advantage.

I agree, correct me if I'm wrong though, other than venables first year at Clemson he has never had a defense outside the top 10, I don't  It think this year will be different, and let's not act like this d line is a bunch of bums, most of them were 5 star recruits

I don't like the recruit rankings as a measurement or indicator of on-field success. Clemson will likely have another top-10 defense. Still, there's a difference between a very good or elite defense and what Clemson was able to do in the trenches last year. There can't ever be an expectation of replicating that. Even if the defensive line is excellent, it will still likely be a downgrade from last year.

That might be the difference between champion and runner-up.
9/5/19 10:21 AM
2/22/11

Is it still 17 I thought it was 16.5 now but I'll check and it doesn't make any since either I may take this one outside of OG aside from my bet wirh Anthony W, but only because I feel sorry for him and Huma 

9/5/19 10:22 AM
3/29/13
AnthonyWeiner -

I don't like the recruit rankings as a measurement or indicator of on-field success. Clemson will likely have another top-10 defense. Still, there's a difference between a very good or elite defense and what Clemson was able to do in the trenches last year. There can't ever be an expectation of replicating that. Even if the defensive line is excellent, it will still likely be a downgrade from last year.

That might be the difference between champion and runner-up.

You act like we've never seen any of these guy play big games, I believe all of them except KJ Henry played was against Alabama last year

9/5/19 10:51 AM
9/22/16
HernanCortes - 

Is it still 17 I thought it was 16.5 now but I'll check and it doesn't make any since either I may take this one outside of OG aside from my bet wirh Anthony W, but only because I feel sorry for him and Huma 

At the original 21 I would have bet on TAMU to cover. 16.5 and I wouldn't touch it, although if I was forced to choose I'd still go with TAMU to cover.

It's too early to really know. It seems gamblers have been driving the line down.
9/6/19 9:26 AM
9/22/16

I didn't see this Spurrier statement about the Tennessee game:

"They just thoroughly beat Tennesee. It wasn't any fluke. There weren't any fluky plays. They were 26-point underdogs, isn't that right? Rocky Top might be Rocky Bottom for a week or two until they win one, I guess."

Fucking LOL

Spurrier's coming off a championship season in the AAF and took a giant shit on Tennessee for old times sake.

9/6/19 9:35 AM
1/30/03
AnthonyWeiner - I didn't see this Spurrier statement about the Tennessee game:

"They just thoroughly beat Tennesee. It wasn't any fluke. There weren't any fluky plays. They were 26-point underdogs, isn't that right? Rocky Top might be Rocky Bottom for a week or two until they win one, I guess."

Fucking LOL

Spurrier's coming off a championship season in the AAF and took a giant shit on Tennessee for old times sake.

I really didn't like him when he was coaching college but it's hard not to now.

9/6/19 9:41 AM
7/15/11

Kaep, what line did we agree on for $50? 20?

9/6/19 10:18 AM
7/15/11

9/6/19 10:28 AM
7/8/14
Matrix -

I love any Mike Leach screentime, that guy is just awesome 

9/6/19 10:50 AM
3/29/13

9/6/19 11:07 AM
7/15/11

21? Damn! Wish I could've made it there. Shooting for Georgia.

9/6/19 11:09 AM
3/29/13
Matrix -

I'm still hoping I can make it, I gotta work in the morning and have no clue how long I'll be there

9/6/19 11:19 AM
7/15/11
Matrix -

I'm still hoping I can make it, I gotta work in the morning and have no clue how long I'll be there

Is it true how bad it is getting in and out of that place? Is that why it's referred to as "Death Valley"?

9/6/19 11:22 AM
6/30/14
Matrix - 
Matrix -

Is it true how bad it is getting in and out of that place? Is that why it's referred to as "Death Valley"?

while I can't vouch for every campus in the country I have seen Clemson listed as having the worst post-game traffic of any school in the country
9/6/19 11:23 AM
6/30/14
Matrix -

I'm making my *regionally famous pulled pork and slaw

*the region encompasses my house
9/6/19 11:25 AM
3/29/13
Matrix -
Matrix -

I live about 20 minutes from the stadium, when I go to games it takes me about 2 hours to get there and about the same to get home typically, there's really only 1 road (2 lanes) coming in and out of Clemson and I believe the average attendance is around 83,000 so I'm sure you can guess how bad that is

9/6/19 11:28 AM
7/15/11

Oh fuck that! I guess that's where tailgating after the game would be VERY beneficial.

9/6/19 11:32 AM
3/29/13
Fan of Fanboys -
Matrix -

I'm making my *regionally famous pulled pork and slaw

*the region encompasses my house

I hope I can make it man but I don't think I'll get out of work until about game time

9/6/19 11:32 AM
3/29/13
Matrix -

Oh fuck that! I guess that's where tailgating after the game would be VERY beneficial.

There usually after the game everyone walks to be bars, there's a street of bars about 2 or 3 blocks from the stadium 

9/6/19 1:06 PM
7/15/11
Matrix -

There usually after the game everyone walks to be bars, there's a street of bars about 2 or 3 blocks from the stadium 

That's crazy there's only one way in and out though. No room to grow?

9/6/19 1:10 PM
9/22/16
Matrix - 
Matrix -

There is room, but why bother? If you've ever been to Clemson's campus, you'll get it. There's one good freeway exit for the school, and it's a beautiful campus and stadium that are all basically in the middle of nowhere. Why spend tens of millions of dollars (hundreds?) expanding to accommodate extra traffic seven days per year?
9/6/19 1:14 PM
7/15/11
AnthonyWeiner -
Matrix - 
Matrix -

There is room, but why bother? If you've ever been to Clemson's campus, you'll get it. There's one good freeway exit for the school, and it's a beautiful campus and stadium that are all basically in the middle of nowhere. Why spend tens of millions of dollars (hundreds?) expanding to accommodate extra traffic seven days per year?

College Station is a college town and that place is growing like crazy. I'm not just talking about roads. I'm more asking why people don't won't to stay in the area and grow it?