OtherGround Forums College Football Mega Thread 2019-2020

9/13/19 10:00 AM
3/29/13
Matrix -

The real question at this point in the thread is WHERE THE FUCK is Malvert's shit talk?! Clown disappears so quickly..

He said something when they lost, can't remember what though

9/13/19 10:16 AM
1/30/03
AnthonyWeiner - Soooo... Is Tennessee the worst team in the SEC? Is Florida State the worst team in the ACC?

Arkansas says hi

9/13/19 10:19 AM
9/22/16
Animal Chin - 
AnthonyWeiner - Soooo... Is Tennessee the worst team in the SEC? Is Florida State the worst team in the ACC?

Arkansas says hi

That's going to be a fucking GAME. I love watching two shitty teams battle for an elusive win.
9/13/19 10:22 AM
1/30/03
AnthonyWeiner -
Animal Chin - 

Arkansas says hi

That's going to be a fucking GAME. I love watching two shitty teams battle for an elusive win.

They don't play this year

9/13/19 11:02 AM
12/2/05
Matrix -
Fake Pie - I always jump to the back and have no idea what you guys are arguing about.

Stopping posting videos for two seconds..

No

9/13/19 11:06 AM
9/22/16
Animal Chin - 
AnthonyWeiner -
Animal Chin - 

Arkansas says hi

They don't play this year

Well, that sucks. I'd rather watch that than Ohio State blow out Rutgers or Alabama murder Louisiana Tech Community College.
9/13/19 1:23 PM
8/18/06

No.  There is no bad team in the SEC, because every single one is a juggernaut on defense.

9/13/19 1:24 PM
1/30/03
okiebug -

No.  There is no bad team in the SEC, because every single one is a juggernaut on defense.

Have you not been watching football this season?

9/13/19 1:27 PM
8/18/06
Animal Chin -
okiebug -

Have you not been watching football this season?

Not the games, just the coverage. 

9/13/19 1:29 PM
8/18/06

Not having to play the likes of Tennessee,  Arkansas and ole miss, will allow Jalen Hurts to actually have some success on the field. 

9/13/19 1:31 PM
1/30/03
okiebug -

Not having to play the likes of Tennessee,  Arkansas and ole miss, will allow Jalen Hurts to actually have some success on the field. 

He's had success his whole career.

You don't really watch much football do you?

9/13/19 1:41 PM
6/30/14
Animal Chin -
okiebug -

She is either an idiot trying to be clever (and failing) or a troll 

Either way she is contributing nothing of value

9/13/19 2:16 PM
9/22/16

Come on... Okie is clearly talking about the SEC bias in media. Y'know... Like the annual dramatic overrating of Auburn, Florida, and Mississippi State.

9/13/19 2:22 PM
1/30/03
AnthonyWeiner - Come on... Okie is clearly talking about the SEC bias in media. Y'know... Like the annual dramatic overrating of Auburn, Florida, and Mississippi State.

Well we can't do anything about that. Maybe he should contact the media instead of looking like a crybaby with little brother syndrome on an MMA forum.

9/13/19 3:18 PM
7/15/11
Fan of Fanboys -
Animal Chin -
okiebug -

She is either an idiot trying to be clever (and failing) or a troll 

Either way she is contributing nothing of value

She is a woman scorned

9/13/19 3:47 PM
2/22/11
AnthonyWeiner - Come on... Okie is clearly talking about the SEC bias in media. Y'know... Like the annual dramatic overrating of Auburn, Florida, and Mississippi State.

I do think SEC is overall better than the other conferences 

Bama 

Georgia 

LSU 

Then middle of pack 

Florida 

A&M 

miss state (maybe)

auburn 

for big 12, OU and UT are just about it. 

For big 10 I'm not so sure, but Ohio State looks good 

PAC 12- not so sure either. Oregon just lost to auburn, USC freshman QB  is looking good 

9/13/19 3:48 PM
2/22/11

Forgot about ACC, but Clemson and Syracuse maybe? North Carolina? 

9/13/19 4:26 PM
8/18/06
HernanCortes -

Bama 

Georgia 

LSU 

Then middle of pack 

Florida 

A&M 

miss state (maybe)

auburn 

PAC 12- not so sure either. Oregon just lost to auburn, USC freshman QB  is looking good 

I think Auburn belongs,  but the SEC, given its geographical recruiting advantage and the sheer size of the conference should have a better top tier than the others.  That said there's an argument for the California schools to be ruling the pac 12 and they can't so you have to give the SEC big 4 their props.

The point I was making, missed by some, is that there is a lingering, now myth, in my opinion that facing an SEC schedule means you play tough defenses, week after week, and that's just not true anymore.

In the SEC east, it's not true at all.  In the west, you know you have to play 2-3 strong, defensive minded teams a year but they are also slower, ball control offenses as well.

9/13/19 4:41 PM
7/15/11

I know A&M just snapped a couple of streaks the mighty Clemson had going holding them to 24.

I also know Houston hung quite a few points on a supposedly MUCH IMPROVED Oklahoma defense in week one.

Perception is sometimes reality.

9/13/19 4:55 PM
6/30/14
okiebug - 
HernanCortes -

Bama 

Georgia 

LSU 

Then middle of pack 

Florida 

A&M 

miss state (maybe)

auburn 

I think Auburn belongs,  but the SEC, given its geographical recruiting advantage and the sheer size of the conference should have a better top tier than the others.  That said there's an argument for the California schools to be ruling the pac 12 and they can't so you have to give the SEC big 4 their props.

The point I was making, missed by some, is that there is a lingering, now myth, in my opinion that facing an SEC schedule means you play tough defenses, week after week, and that's just not true anymore.

In the SEC east, it's not true at all.  In the west, you know you have to play 2-3 strong, defensive minded teams a year but they are also slower, ball control offenses as well.

"but the SEC, given its geographical recruiting advantage and the sheer size of the conference should have a better top tier than the others."

well, it does

and the ACC is the same size and in the same geographic location overall. why does it completely suck balls as a football conference, Clemson excluded?

"The point I was making, missed by some, is that there is a lingering, now myth, in my opinion that facing an SEC schedule means you play tough defenses, week after week, and that's just not true anymore"

which conference has a tougher average defensive ranking?

"In the SEC east, it's not true at all."

the same East that had a winning record vs the West last season?

those SEC teams seem to do pretty well damn near every single season vs P5 OOC teams and in the bowls.

they might not be hitting the fictional standard you are creating in your mind but they are still ahead of everyone else.

recruiting, OOC records during regular season, bowl records, guys put in the NFL
9/13/19 4:56 PM
6/30/14

"having 4 of the 10 best teams in the country is proof the SEC is not very good!"

9/13/19 4:58 PM
6/30/14

if you want to talk about your feelings, sure

if you want to cherry pick facts, ok

but if you look at the overall picture then your "point" is pointless

of course there are bad teams in the SEC. there are just way more in every other conference right now and pretty much has been that way since...2006?

9/13/19 6:51 PM
8/18/06
Fan of Fanboys -
okiebug - 
HernanCortes -

Bama 

Georgia 

LSU 

Then middle of pack 

Florida 

A&M 

miss state (maybe)

auburn 

"but the SEC, given its geographical recruiting advantage and the sheer size of the conference should have a better top tier than the others."

well, it does

and the ACC is the same size and in the same geographic location overall. why does it completely suck balls as a football conference, Clemson excluded?

"The point I was making, missed by some, is that there is a lingering, now myth, in my opinion that facing an SEC schedule means you play tough defenses, week after week, and that's just not true anymore"

which conference has a tougher average defensive ranking?

"In the SEC east, it's not true at all."

the same East that had a winning record vs the West last season?

those SEC teams seem to do pretty well damn near every single season vs P5 OOC teams and in the bowls.

they might not be hitting the fictional standard you are creating in your mind but they are still ahead of everyone else.

recruiting, OOC records during regular season, bowl records, guys put in the NFL

First, the ACC argument is a good one, but I would say it's a poorer reflection on them as a conference and in those geographical areas where they compete for SEC kids, the SEC school is generally the traditional powerhouse but it's still a good point.

The average defensive average is a little bit of echo chambers,  in that SEC offenses hold the ball far longer and run fewer plays.   And the bottom 2/3s of the conference have horrible offensive output as well.  

With a west vs east thing, just talking defense.  Wins and losses take alot more into account. 

We agree on a fictional standard, just not who is responsible for it.

As far as success,  take 2 of the 4 top teams out and it's pretty average.   Not that that's fair but to the point of how much credit the entire conference claims based on the defensive success of the top 4 teams.  

9/13/19 6:57 PM
8/18/06

Btw, to be clear,  I'm not making an argument that the SEC isn't a good conference.   I'm talking defense specifically.   

I'm also not saying Alabama and Georgia defenses are somehow overrated.   They are not.  Lsu, Auburn and you could argue A&M regularly produce the some of the best defenses every year.  

My point is that after that, its average at best after that.

9/13/19 7:12 PM
8/18/06

Speaking of defense,  has anyone noticed Georgia has gone to that weird hybrid 3-3-5.  It's close to the version Oklahoma is trying to run.

3 man front.

Will/Sam/Mike but Sam shortside not strong side and Will is wideside not weak side.  The have a strong and free safety, 2 corners and an Xback, who is kind of an LB/SS.  More of a DB than a LB.  

Bama and Clemson both play prostyle defenses.  They have the talent, but so does Georgia but they have opted for the more fashionable college style that's designed to stop the spread and RPO.