OtherGround Forums College Football Mega Thread 2019-2020

9/15/19 5:24 PM
6/8/10
Matrix -
T Sauce -

He did manage to completely shut down Manziel twice, which I did find very impressive.

Yeah maybe it was the talent pool at the time but Bama at least equal if not better. It was impressive from an outside perspective. From A&M's perspective it was infuriating! Hence Sumlin hiring that cat away from LSU.

At the time LSU LBs were smaller and better in space than Bamas so they were better at containing mobile QBs. Guys like Kwon Alexander and Deion Jones limited those trademark scrambles that Bama just couldn't seem to stop. I'll give Chavis this, his scheme was much better for D-Line pressure than what we're using now. 

9/15/19 5:27 PM
8/18/06
Matrix -

The part about RC being able to leave was in reference to him being able to coach elsewhere. He could've and he decided to stay. I see he frequently on the driving range at Traditions in Bryan. He's a hero here in town for anyone over the age of 35.

He publicly criticized Fran and it was clearly sour grapes.

9/15/19 5:30 PM
7/15/11
okiebug -
Matrix -

The part about RC being able to leave was in reference to him being able to coach elsewhere. He could've and he decided to stay. I see he frequently on the driving range at Traditions in Bryan. He's a hero here in town for anyone over the age of 35.

He publicly criticized Fran and it was clearly sour grapes.

Wouldn't you at the time? 99% of people would. Was he going to beat out the likes of a young Mack or Bob? No he wasn't. His time had passed for better or worse. Did you guys want him to stick around at the time? No clue..

9/15/19 5:31 PM
7/15/11

And he was right about Fran as a whole. The reason Fran probably doesn't reside in the BCS to this day lol

9/15/19 5:32 PM
7/15/11
T Sauce -
Matrix -
T Sauce -

He did manage to completely shut down Manziel twice, which I did find very impressive.

Yeah maybe it was the talent pool at the time but Bama at least equal if not better. It was impressive from an outside perspective. From A&M's perspective it was infuriating! Hence Sumlin hiring that cat away from LSU.

At the time LSU LBs were smaller and better in space than Bamas so they were better at containing mobile QBs. Guys like Kwon Alexander and Deion Jones limited those trademark scrambles that Bama just couldn't seem to stop. I'll give Chavis this, his scheme was much better for D-Line pressure than what we're using now. 

The Dline pressure was what made him more successful against JFF than anyone else imo.

9/15/19 5:40 PM
8/18/06
Matrix -

And he was right about Fran as a whole. The reason Fran probably doesn't reside in the BCS to this day lol

Maybe, but it was really bad form.  RC has that Texas coach persona but I never thought much of him as a coach.

Overall Fran was far more successful as a coach than RC.  And you guys were gloating in a huge way of how you stole Fran at the time. 

9/15/19 5:47 PM
7/15/11
okiebug -
Matrix -

Maybe, but it was really bad form.  RC has that Texas coach persona but I never thought much of him as a coach.

Overall Fran was far more successful as a coach than RC.  And you guys were gloating in a huge way of how you stole Fran at the time. 

Fran was a far more successful coach? At TCU he had LT. Fran was more of a Sumlin than RC EVER was. RC built those defenses in the 90's. Fran basically did jack shit. Are you joking with that statement?

9/15/19 6:02 PM
8/18/06
Matrix -
okiebug -
Matrix -

Fran was a far more successful coach? At TCU he had LT. Fran was more of a Sumlin than RC EVER was. RC built those defenses in the 90's. Fran basically did jack shit. Are you joking with that statement?

I would say so.  He rebuilt TCU and brought Alabama back when it was a mess.  A&M was sliding under RC and it looked like he was starting to turn it around but it fell apart.  There's a reason Alabama hired him and again A&M fans thought they had pulled the greatest upset in coaching hires when they took him from Alabama.   I can't remember anyone getting excited about RC.

That's to say nothing about Fran dominating small college ball before he went D1.

9/15/19 6:08 PM
7/15/11
okiebug -
itskrisdude -
Thingading -

Leach is going to somehow get Wazzu to another 8 or 9 win season. One of the more underrated HCs in CFB.

I still think it's funny Tennessee could have had him before the Fulmer coup d'état. 

Their AD was in the air to meet Leach, who absolutely would have jumped on the job, but he gets fired before the plane lands. Fulmer goes a complete different direction, and the next thing you know it's glory for Georgia State.

Fulmer is a strange story.  He stabs Johnny Majors in the back and gets his job.  Has great success,  then overstays his success as the program declines.   Some people don't want anyone successful to follow them.  Remember how bitter RC Slocum was after his coaching?

Btw this was why I made the rebuttal that I did. These post were in connection to an AD until you threw the RC thing out of nowhere. RC had a chance to go after that job at A&M and declined it largely bc he knows it's more than he wants to take on these days.

Bottom line... A&M was very good to RC and you see that year after year. I've got a pic when I was slightly older than my daughter (the pic a couple of pages ago) with RC and he's a "god" to me. He just got caught in a situation like Sumlin. "We" weren't willing to settle. "We" wanted MORE..

9/15/19 6:10 PM
7/15/11
okiebug -
Matrix -
okiebug -
Matrix -

I would say so.  He rebuilt TCU and brought Alabama back when it was a mess.  A&M was sliding under RC and it looked like he was starting to turn it around but it fell apart.  There's a reason Alabama hired him and again A&M fans thought they had pulled the greatest upset in coaching hires when they took him from Alabama.   I can't remember anyone getting excited about RC.

That's to say nothing about Fran dominating small college ball before he went D1.

Look at their records and stand by this and take into account LT was at TCU at the time. I don't think Fran even recruited that cat either. Similar to Sumlin ONCE AGAIN. Sherman recruited him..

9/15/19 6:25 PM
8/18/06
Matrix -
okiebug -
Matrix -
okiebug -
Matrix -

Look at their records and stand by this and take into account LT was at TCU at the time. I don't think Fran even recruited that cat either. Similar to Sumlin ONCE AGAIN. Sherman recruited him..

I get it.  I can't be objective about stoops and cringe when I hear anything negative about him, largely based on how good he was to my sons.  

Conversely...

Howard Snellenberger will be remembered at Oklahoma as a joke ignoring his past success. 

I still thought it was really bad form to criticize Fran when he was working to turn the program around.   You have to at least admit that.   I don't have any real heartburn about it.  It just sticks out in my memory.   It's the reason I sited it as another example. 

9/15/19 7:28 PM
7/15/11
okiebug -
Matrix -
okiebug -
Matrix -
okiebug -
Matrix -

I get it.  I can't be objective about stoops and cringe when I hear anything negative about him, largely based on how good he was to my sons.  

Conversely...

Howard Snellenberger will be remembered at Oklahoma as a joke ignoring his past success. 

I still thought it was really bad form to criticize Fran when he was working to turn the program around.   You have to at least admit that.   I don't have any real heartburn about it.  It just sticks out in my memory.   It's the reason I sited it as another example. 

Well I'm being objective about RC in saying he had to go at the time. If you're not trying to get better what are you doing?

I guess I get what you're saying in some very small ways but RC didn't alter the program that much AT ALL at the time. The reason compared to today is probably based on the media as a whole. Social and National..

He served a valuable purpose at the institution and MANY Aggies are forever grateful for his accomplishments. Fran is not looked at the same way and for good reason imo. 

9/15/19 10:42 PM
7/15/11

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/young-florida-state-fan-sells-lemonade-in-effort-to-raise-money-for-coach-willie-taggarts-buyout/

$17 million buyout?? I wonder how far that money would've gotten them if they spent it on facilities when Jimbo asked for it instead. Thankfully for A&M, we never have to find out.

9/16/19 9:42 AM
3/13/08
Matrix -

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/young-florida-state-fan-sells-lemonade-in-effort-to-raise-money-for-coach-willie-taggarts-buyout/

$17 million buyout?? I wonder how far that money would've gotten them if they spent it on facilities when Jimbo asked for it instead. Thankfully for A&M, we never have to find out.

Lol, awesome

A freaking lemonade stand to get Florida State a new head coach... love it! Yes, they need a better coach, but need to address their recruiting department too. They need more Dalvin Cooks, Xavier Rhodes, and Jalen Ramseys and bigger/faster linemen too. Long gone are the days where you know Florida St dominates the line of scrimmage... Even in the Jameis Winston days their offensive line wasn't the best... But yeah, Taggart and Helton are going bye-bye at the end of the season...

Edited: 9/16/19 10:53 AM
6/30/14

Games to watch, week 4

No. 11 Michigan at No. 13 Wisconsin (Saturday, Noon ET, FOX)

No. 8 Auburn at No. 17 Texas A&M (Saturday, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS)

No. 22 Washington at BYU (Saturday, 3:30 p.m. ET, ABC/ESPN2)

Oklahoma State at No. 12 Texas (Saturday, 7:30 p.m. ET, ABC)

No. 7 Notre Dame at No. 3 Georgia (Saturday, 8 p.m. ET, CBS)

9/16/19 12:50 PM
3/29/13

Weird fact I just found out, wake forest vs North Carolina was a non conference game 

9/16/19 12:54 PM
7/15/11
KaepernicksTheAppleOfMyEye -

Weird fact I just found out, wake forest vs North Carolina was a non conference game 

Wat??

9/16/19 12:57 PM
3/29/13
Matrix -

Wat??

Apparently neither team could schedule an out of conference game so they agreed to play each other

9/16/19 1:03 PM
6/30/14
KaepernicksTheAppleOfMyEye - 
Matrix -

Wat??

Apparently neither team could schedule an out of conference game so they agreed to play each other

happens. anyone can do it, though for obvious reasons most don't

It gets weird for some. Look at New Mexico State's schedule. They play Liberty twice in the regular season. Once is a conference game and one is not.
9/16/19 1:07 PM
7/15/11

Yeah that's strange

9/16/19 1:13 PM
3/29/13
Fan of Fanboys -
KaepernicksTheAppleOfMyEye - 
Matrix -

Wat??

happens. anyone can do it, though for obvious reasons most don't

It gets weird for some. Look at New Mexico State's schedule. They play Liberty twice in the regular season. Once is a conference game and one is not.

Crazy I had no idea that happens

Edited: 9/16/19 1:22 PM
8/18/06
SgtJustinTeplitz -
Matrix -

Lol, awesome

A freaking lemonade stand to get Florida State a new head coach... love it! Yes, they need a better coach, but need to address their recruiting department too. They need more Dalvin Cooks, Xavier Rhodes, and Jalen Ramseys and bigger/faster linemen too. Long gone are the days where you know Florida St dominates the line of scrimmage... Even in the Jameis Winston days their offensive line wasn't the best... But yeah, Taggart and Helton are going bye-bye at the end of the season...

I told my father in law,  who is a huge duck fan, that Oregon should write a thank you letter to A&M every week for hiring Jimbo.

Edited: 9/16/19 6:12 PM
2/5/06
okiebug - 
SgtJustinTeplitz -
Matrix -

Lol, awesome

I told my father in law,  who is a huge duck fan, that Oregon should write a thank you letter to A&M every week for hiring Jimbo.

It's scary to think of Taggart being the Ducks' HC for more than one year, especially on the heels of canning Helfrich. It likely would have been nothing short of catastrophic for the program.

9/16/19 9:55 PM
4/21/09
Thingading -
okiebug - 
SgtJustinTeplitz -
Matrix -

Lol, awesome

It's scary to think of Taggart being the Ducks' HC for more than one year, especially on the heels of canning Helfrich. It likely would have been nothing short of catastrophic for the program.

I think Helfrich did a decent job of creating a catastrophy there.

Talk about back to back terrible hires.

Who's the AD in Oregon? Larry Scott...

9/16/19 9:56 PM
4/21/09
Fan of Fanboys - Games to watch, week 4

No. 11 Michigan at No. 13 Wisconsin (Saturday, Noon ET, FOX)

No. 8 Auburn at No. 17 Texas A&M (Saturday, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS)

No. 22 Washington at BYU (Saturday, 3:30 p.m. ET, ABC/ESPN2)

Oklahoma State at No. 12 Texas (Saturday, 7:30 p.m. ET, ABC)

No. 7 Notre Dame at No. 3 Georgia (Saturday, 8 p.m. ET, CBS)

Decent, not great slate of games. 

Imo better than week 3