UnderGround Forums Conor Looks Lost

Edited: 8/23/19 5:02 PM
2/22/13

Not a Conor hater. I Despise some of the shit he does but think he’s genius in other ways.

I just watched the ESPN interview and found it staggering...

It’s the first time I’ve seen Conor appear desperate and rattled. It looked like a former great - always used to being in control of his destiny - genuinely worried about his credibility and brand.

I don’t think I’ve ever seen Conor stumble or lost for words. His no-nonsense, face-it-all attitude - and unflinching confidence - evaporated when he was confronted with explaining why he punched a stranger for not drinking his whiskey. Looked like a lost little kid who was being scalded by his Dad.

This is a guy that prides himself on being a warrior. The way he used injury as an excuse for the Khabib loss was embarrassing. Going to great lengths to detail his dislocated toes and giant swollen foot like it was a legendary war-wound: the Conor of old would have sucked up the loss like a man, jumped back on the horse and done his talking in the cage.

The weak reverse-psychology tricks against Nate, throwing subtle taunts to a guy who wouldn’t even mutter his name in victory. Suddenly it looks like Nate - the ‘Mexican Cholo’ - is the one playing chess against Conor’s checkers. A 3 year lay-off and then steps back into the game and dismantles a former champ with no drama.

Before people start pointing to Conor’s bank balance as some kind of benchmark of success, ask yourself why a guy who has ‘fuck you’ money would even care about doing an interview like that. He obviously cares about how people perceive him and his fighting legacy. He can see his homeland beginning to turn on him - pouring his business down the drain - and I think the realisation has hit him that success can be lost just as quickly as it’s earned.

At this point, the man just needs to cut the bullshit; get out of the tabloids; back into the gym and onto the road to redemption.

8/23/19 5:03 PM
10/14/17

I agree with everything you said. 

It has obviously taken a toll on him and he does seem worried. 

Its either gonna make him or break him and I think with as much as he has at stake - he will come back better than ever.

8/23/19 5:09 PM
9/2/10

Looked and sounded to me like he was off his tits on something.

8/23/19 5:10 PM
1/1/01
He will continue to do stupid shit in his life outside the cage and he'll do average in the cage if he continues to fight the best.
Edited: 8/23/19 5:14 PM
1/4/15

Yup 100% he knows that right now hes literally just a whiskey salesman. 

And while that will be putting stupid amounts of cash in his pocket. It's not what he was put on earth to do. 

Punching the old man was the last straw for a lot of people it's obvious why. The guy hasn't won a fight since Eddie alverez.... A fighter who isn't even in the ufc anymore... And the one time we get to see him throw a punch is a sucker punch at an old man? 

Conor has made quite the fall from grace with his lay off being littered with hucking cheap whiskey and ugly public altercations. 

If he can get his head out of his ass and back in the gym and motivate himself propperly.. Then I believe we can still have the Conor of old back. 

But until then he's pissing away his credibility by hucking his whiskey instead of what got him to the dance and people are starting to not give a shit anymore. 

8/23/19 5:14 PM
6/27/18

I agree with you in spirit, but some points:

- Conor has never been "no-nonsense." I don't know why you would think that. In fact, he is "constant nonsense." He frequently stumbles over words. Saying "erm" is one of his vocal tics. Just watch the press conference in New York for the Mayweather fight if you want to hear him fishing for things to say and sounding like an idiot.

- The Conor of old would not have "sucked up the loss." He has never been humble in defeat. He always comes up with excuses. This is the guy who claimed Nate was "three times the size of me."

- His homeland is not "beginning to turn on him" - They turned on him a long time ago. He is not a national hero. Just look at the headlines in Irish media after Khabib beat him. Even at the height of Conor's acclaim in 2015, many in Ireland did not like how he was representing their country, with the cockiness and trash talking and antics.

From The Irish Times: Conor McGregor's antics are tiresome but the gullible still lap it up

8/23/19 5:23 PM
2/22/13
Sinead O Connors Nipples -

This is a fair point too. There were hints of rehab in there for sure.

8/23/19 7:12 PM
1/1/01

Agreed, and I have been a fan of Conor's. Though it's hard to actually tell which way the pendulum is swinging from that interview. On one hand I can see it as "lost" as in the OP's description, a rattled Conor feeling pressure from all sides and feeling out of the game trying to keep his foot in, nervous about his status and future as a fighter.

On the other hand, I can see it as a little bit refreshing, a bit like he's had to do a re-set on his confidence that will light the fire to putting in work like a young Conor. It will be interesting to see which way it goes. I still bet he looses to anyone he fights next.

The problem is his act has always been built on boasts, either being on a string of wins, or at being the top of the UFC game and the most visible fighter. But he hasn't fought in years and his last two fights were losses, so the braggadocio act just doesn't work so well in that context. It brings more eye-rolling than it does excitement at this stage.

8/23/19 7:21 PM
5/22/17

Mmm mm mmm mm as Ariel is asking a question lol

8/23/19 9:43 PM
2/4/09
Sinead O Connors Nipples -

Yeah look under his eyes... swollen af.  If he wasn’t on something he’s been on it recently. Dude looked hungover af

8/23/19 10:19 PM
11/14/16
RoyNelsonsTVDinner -

Not a Conor hater. I Despise some of the shit he does but think he’s genius in other ways.

I just watched the ESPN interview and found it staggering...

It’s the first time I’ve seen Conor appear desperate and rattled. It looked like a former great - always used to being in control of his destiny - genuinely worried about his credibility and brand.

I don’t think I’ve ever seen Conor stumble or lost for words. His no-nonsense, face-it-all attitude - and unflinching confidence - evaporated when he was confronted with explaining why he punched a stranger for not drinking his whiskey. Looked like a lost little kid who was being scalded by his Dad.

This is a guy that prides himself on being a warrior. The way he used injury as an excuse for the Khabib loss was embarrassing. Going to great lengths to detail his dislocated toes and giant swollen foot like it was a legendary war-wound: the Conor of old would have sucked up the loss like a man, jumped back on the horse and done his talking in the cage.

The weak reverse-psychology tricks against Nate, throwing subtle taunts to a guy who wouldn’t even mutter his name in victory. Suddenly it looks like Nate - the ‘Mexican Cholo’ - is the one playing chess against Conor’s checkers. A 3 year lay-off and then steps back into the game and dismantles a former champ with no drama.

Before people start pointing to Conor’s bank balance as some kind of benchmark of success, ask yourself why a guy who has ‘fuck you’ money would even care about doing an interview like that. He obviously cares about how people perceive him and his fighting legacy. He can see his homeland beginning to turn on him - pouring his business down the drain - and I think the realisation has hit him that success can be lost just as quickly as it’s earned.

At this point, the man just needs to cut the bullshit; get out of the tabloids; back into the gym and onto the road to redemption.

I agree with most of what you just said and found myself nodding along with your points. Maybe this will jumpstart him and get him back on track. 

8/23/19 10:41 PM
2/15/06
My thoughts when I watch that interview was that he almost seemed like his Spirit was broken. He was almost pleading for everybody to take him serious and believe in him again.
It's like his once-great confidence is almost gone right now. I don't think he even believes in himself at this point.
8/23/19 11:06 PM
11/3/12

Never write off a champion 

8/23/19 11:48 PM
10/9/10
SandBlaster -

Mmm mm mmm mm as Ariel is asking a question lol

Mmmmmm

”But I’d like to ask -“

mmmmmm

”If I could just -“ 

MMMMMMM NOM NOM NOM COOKIE MONSTER LIKE COOKIE

8/24/19 12:15 AM
8/15/15
stookartz -

Never write off a champion 

Everyone just wants to see him gone because they know he’s just a win away from fucking up one of their favorites run. Either Nate or Khabib. Everyone is swinging from their nuts right now and Conor is looking to come back. It was the same shit with Jon Jones. He got himself into a lot of mess outside the cage and everyone was praying for him to be gone. What did he do? Came back and reclaimed his throne. Conor will do the same no doubt about it and all the Nate and Khabib fans are fearing this. Granted Conor isn’t Jon Jones but still, he’s capable of beating Nate or Khabib. Hell, Dustin might beat him to it. People seem to think Khabib is invincible. Understandable though since he hasn’t been beaten yet. But everyone catches that L eventually. Dustin or Conor will do it no doubt. Conor will be back and will be at the top again and Conor haters don’t want this. Simple as that. 

8/24/19 12:27 AM
5/18/15

What’s interesting to me is that he fell apart only after the social media backlash. 

He seemed to enjoy throwing out his trump like tweets during UFC’s, promoting his whiskey, his clothing line. 

Lol but then again I’m sure Taylor Swift would fall apart too if she lost her legion of online diehards. 

8/24/19 12:30 AM
11/5/16

Guy has the money to indulge in bad expensive habits and he’s doing so. Hope he can pull himself out of where he’s at

Edited: 8/24/19 1:17 PM
7/8/09

OP is homosexual. We have seen Conor rattled and stumble over his words. For example, when Eddie Alvarez called him out about being on welfare... and guess what, he absolutely mauled Eddie. This just means that whoever faces Conor next will get starched

8/24/19 12:43 AM
3/6/07
TequilaYuen -

I agree with you in spirit, but some points:

- Conor has never been "no-nonsense." I don't know why you would think that. In fact, he is "constant nonsense." He frequently stumbles over words. Saying "erm" is one of his vocal tics. Just watch the press conference in New York for the Mayweather fight if you want to hear him fishing for things to say and sounding like an idiot.

- The Conor of old would not have "sucked up the loss." He has never been humble in defeat. He always comes up with excuses. This is the guy who claimed Nate was "three times the size of me."

- His homeland is not "beginning to turn on him" - They turned on him a long time ago. He is not a national hero. Just look at the headlines in Irish media after Khabib beat him. Even at the height of Conor's acclaim in 2015, many in Ireland did not like how he was representing their country, with the cockiness and trash talking and antics.

From The Irish Times: Conor McGregor's antics are tiresome but the gullible still lap it up

Wrong. 

Dont take a newspaper writers take on it. They love to bag on the elite. 

Ireland loves him. He is a national hero. Yes, he fucked up by hitting an old man. 

He is  now playing his hand perfectly. He is now the Rocky that gets back to his roots. 

He will be the the biggest thing in MMA (again) when he makes that walk to the octagon. 

You and I both can’t wait for his return, win or lose. 

8/24/19 12:56 AM
12/2/11

The fact that he cares should mean something. Realized he fucked up big. Hoping he brings some action to his words. 

Edited: 8/24/19 1:02 AM
7/15/04

Conor thought he was above the law. His meteoric rise and mega stardom and riches enabled his ego to get so large he thought he was a god. 

His actions have been that of someone that was untouchable. 

I think he now knows all of this can go away much sooner than he thought possible and he needs to get his shit together. 

I do get it what OP was saying, that sparkle Conor used to have wasn't there.

8/24/19 1:16 AM
8/20/08

He should have taken the Cerrone challenge. He would have taken out Cerrone and looked like a million $$.

Edited: 8/24/19 1:40 AM
1/23/06
That video went viral. 10M views on youtube alone. Sucks. That's the world we live in now, a video like that goes viral and everyone judges you forever for it.

This is Conor's toughest test. War with a public that will condemn and judge him in perpetuity. He was always well supported by the mainstream, but he burned that bridge in the eyes of many and now the majority of casuals will probably be cheering against him. Lots of fight fans love to see someone strong fall from grace and Conor gave them justification for their viewpoint. It is what it is. He's very accomplished and wealthy, just can no longer bathe in adoration. Soon his last win in a fight, against Alvarez will be over 3 years old, that fight took place a few months after Rory Macdonald last fought in the UFC against Stephen Thompson. Eras shift every few years at most.

Conor would be wise to battle Diaz next in the trilogy to reclaim some of this lost market share and respect. Win or lose a good showing and the excitement of such a historic bout would do lots to restore good faith from fans. But Nate is animal at 170 pounds now and his middle name is Don.
8/24/19 1:46 AM
8/20/16
CRE - That video went viral. 10M views on youtube alone. Sucks. That's the world we live in now, a video like that goes viral and everyone judges you forever for it.

This is Conor's toughest test. War with a public that will condemn and judge him in perpetuity. He was always well supported by the mainstream, but he burned that bridge in the eyes of many and now the majority of casuals will probably be cheering against him. Lots of fight fans love to see someone strong fall from grace and Conor gave them justification for their viewpoint. It is what it is. He's very accomplished and wealthy, just can no longer bathe in adoration. Soon his last win in a fight, against Alvarez will be over 3 years old, that fight took place a few months after Rory Macdonald last fought in the UFC against Stephen Thompson. Eras shift every few years at most.

Conor would be wise to battle Diaz next in the trilogy to reclaim some of this lost market share and respect. Win or lose a good showing and the excitement of such a historic bout would do lots to restore good faith from fans. But Nate is animal at 170 pounds now and his middle name is Don.

Sucks. That's the world we live in now, people find out when you do something terrible. It was better in the old days, when a celebrity could assault senior citizens and never even have a hint of a consequence.

8/24/19 2:05 AM
1/23/06
blabbermouth - 
CRE - That video went viral. 10M views on youtube alone. Sucks. That's the world we live in now, a video like that goes viral and everyone judges you forever for it.

Sucks. That's the world we live in now, people find out when you do something terrible. It was better in the old days, when a celebrity could assault senior citizens and never even have a hint of a consequence.

The public punishment is worse than the crime. Battling a mob lynching endlessly.