Edited: 5/28/19 12:19 PM
1/1/01
The Thumbs Up / Thumbs Down, with resulting + - is the beginning of what I asked for a decade ago.

Forums characteristically order content by what's newest, which never struck me as ideal - if I watched movies by whatever is newest I'd have Aladdin (2019) at the top of the list. But it's not at the top of my lists, or yours, probably. So I asked for a way for members to rate content, so that they could see most often the content that is most liked, rather than whatever thread has the latest bitter poltical argument.

There were some difficulties technically with what I asked for, but it was technologically easy to rate people, so I went with that. Then in an attempt to automate moderation to a degree, I added the Vote Down, too. Then, stupidly, I aggregated them. Then I made all voting hidden. It was ill conceived, and ultimately wasn't overwhelmingly popular, and it's my fault.

On the Save the OG thread, a number of people asked for technology to identify good content; this is the first step. If it's adopted by you, there is a lot we will be doing with it. But I don't want to build some big thing and have it be wrong again. So we are approaching this incrementally, starting with the basics - let us know what you like:
•If you like content give it a thumbs up; and,
***EDIT WHAT"S IMMEDIATELY BELOW IN ITALICS WAS STUPID AND WRONG***
•If you think content violates the Terms of Service, give it a thumbs down.

Going forward, if you like what a site member posts, give it a Thumbs Up. If you don't like what someone posts, give it a Thumbs Down. Note please this is not a vote on a person, it's a vote on what the person posted. This process is transparent; all votes can be viewed by all at - https://www.mixedmartialarts.com/votes

TOS violations will be dealt with some other way, separate to this Thumbs Up / Thumbs Down process.

5/28/19 12:54 AM
5/1/14

Noticed something new. Sounds good. 

5/28/19 12:55 AM
1/23/06

Is this feature for the app only?

5/28/19 12:56 AM
3/19/04

Fuck. I wish you hadn't. VU/VD is silly.

5/28/19 12:58 AM
1/1/01
CRE - Is this feature for the app only?

App and desk/laptop both.

5/28/19 12:58 AM
1/1/01
CRE - Is this feature for the app only?

works in standard forum and beta framed forum.

It will not work on the old frames. The code is archaic and is not being updated.

5/28/19 1:01 AM
1/1/01
Canooke -

Fuck. I wish you hadn't. VU/VD is silly.

In our thread of over 1600 replies, it was one of the most requested functions. You don't have to do it.

Edited: 5/28/19 1:04 AM
2/27/13

Can a lowly mud upvote more than once per day?

I just upvoted your post Kirik, so if not then I can't give approval to anything else for 24 hours.

If you want this to work, then muds need to be able to upvote freely. If not, then we will end up holding back our daily upvote in case we see an awesome thread later, or regret using it on an earlier thread.

5/28/19 1:05 AM
4/22/07
Chris -
CRE - Is this feature for the app only?

works in standard forum and beta framed forum.

It will not work on the old frames. The code is archaic and is not being updated.

When this app often only shows blank pages, the real men use the old fashioned frames.  There is nothing beta about an OGer. 

5/28/19 1:06 AM
11/8/09

I don't understand the thumbs down. You only thumb something sown if you think it violates the terms of service?  Don't you think some people will just thumbs down stuff they don't like?  

5/28/19 1:07 AM
8/28/10

Looks good kirik let's hope this works

5/28/19 1:07 AM
1/1/01
Banjaxo -

I just upvoted your post Kirik, so if not then I can't give approval to anything else for 24 hours.

If you want this to work, then muds need to be able to upvote freely. If not, then we will end up holding back our daily upvote in case we see an awesome thread later, or regret using it on an earlier thread.

Right now all users can vote as much as they want. Before we limited muds, but there was no transparency. 

Now there is full transparency with all votes from everyone being recorded and available to see: https://www.mixedmartialarts.com/votes

5/28/19 1:08 AM
11/9/05
King Trav -

I don't understand the thumbs down. You only thumb something sown if you think it violates the terms of service?  Don't you think some people will just thumbs down stuff they don't like?  

With a visible log, lol.

Over/under on how many days before people start creating threads aimed at someone they believe unjustly voted them down?

5/28/19 1:11 AM
2/27/13
King Trav -

I agree that the the thumbs down should be changed to a "report post" button or something.

How many of the retards that post here do you think will actually read the rules?

5/28/19 1:15 AM
1/1/01
Banjaxo - 

It's supposed to be open to all. Not sure if that has been implemented yet.

5/28/19 1:17 AM
1/1/01
King Trav - 

I hope not. But that's a beautiful example of why I'm doing this by steps.

5/28/19 1:18 AM
2/27/13
Kirik -
Banjaxo - 

It's supposed to be open to all. Not sure if that has been implemented yet.

I can confirm that muds can upvote freely, I've upvoted 3 posts in this thread already.

5/28/19 1:21 AM
12/28/12
Kirik -
The Thumbs Up / Thumbs Down, with resulting + - is the beginning of what I asked for a decade ago.

Forums characteristically order content by what's newest, which never struck me as ideal - if I watched movies by whatever is newest I'd have Aladdin (2019) at the top of the list. But it's not at the top of my lists, or yours, probably. So I asked for a way for members to rate content, so that they could see most often the content that is most liked, rather than whatever thread has the latest bitter poltical argument.

There were some difficulties technically with what I asked for, but it was technologically easy to rate people, so I went with that. Then in an attempt to automate moderation to a degree, I added the Vote Down, too. Then, stupidly, I aggregated them. Then I made all voting hidden. It was ill conceived, and ultimately wasn't overwhelmingly popular, and it's my fault.

On the Save the OG thread, a number of people asked for technology to identify good content; this is the first step. If it's adopted by you, there is a lot we will be doing with it. But I don't want to build some big thing and have it be wrong again. So we are approaching this incrementally, starting with the basics - let us know what you like:

Please note, thumbs up and thumbs and down are separate - up is if you like it, down is not for something you disagree with, but rather is for TOS violations. You can see the results of all votes at https://www.mixedmartialarts.com/votes

it doesnt seem like a great idea to have VD be for TOS violations. i dont think many will use it that way and most wont know that is what it is now for. the design change is not intuitive but its a starting point, i guess

5/28/19 1:24 AM
1/1/01

if it doesn't work in old school frames then 90% of people will never see it ;)

5/28/19 1:24 AM
1/1/01
Banjaxo - 
King Trav -

I agree that the the thumbs down should be changed to a "report post" button or something.

How many of the retards that post here do you think will actually read the rules?

I'll find out!

5/28/19 1:25 AM
1/1/01
RKing85 - if it doesn't work in old school frames then 90% of people will never see it ;)

I believe the new beta framed forum it does work.

5/28/19 1:25 AM
11/14/05

What happens if a post gets thumbs down? Does the post get deleted for violating? 

5/28/19 1:28 AM
1/1/01
kuttdawg - 

What happens if a post gets thumbs down? Does the post get deleted for violating? 

Nah, my autmation attempt was another fail - froze people for being on the wrong side of some unpopular argument. It's just information that may prove to be useful.

5/28/19 1:30 AM
6/30/07
King Trav -

So it's like the old alert admin button?

5/28/19 1:31 AM
3/11/19
Kirik - 

Please note, thumbs up and thumbs and down are separate - up is if you like it, down is not for something you disagree with, but rather is for TOS violations. You can see the results of all votes at https://www.mixedmartialarts.com/votes

Just some food for thought...

When you say "Forums characteristically order content by what's newest",

does that mean upvoted threads will appear higher in the list?

does it mean upvoted posts will appear higher in the thread?

Won't bitter political argument threads receive more posts, upvoted or not, pushing them to the top anyway?

I agree with everyone saying "thumbs down" for "report violation" is bad design. The opposite of "Hey, good post" is not "Hey, kick this guy off the forum."