OtherGround Forums Corona deaths.... 99% had underlying conditions

7 days ago
2/2/12
gabemadrid -

Economy would’ve stopped no matter what private businesses can’t force you to work for them. And when this started getting bad, people freaked out and stayed home. Including the CEOs and presidents of their companies. No one cares enough about their employer to go in and sacrifice themselves.

Except for the millions of essential workers that stayed working keeping the country fed, powered, and safe through all of this?

7 days ago
1/11/06

Once they found out who was at risk, they should have opened the country and told the people at risk to shelter in place. This is something like the Spanish flu that attacks young people, this was an old and frail problem. Taking a little humanity out of this, this particular population is already a drain on society so further harming society just to protect them doesn’t make sense.

7 days ago
6/27/05

Maher finished his show of support for a recession by declaring, "Yes, a recession would be very worth getting rid of Donald Trump and these kinds of policies."

Last week, Maher told his audience that he "really" wished there was another economic recession, arguing such an event would ruin Trump's chances of winning reelection

6 days ago
1/1/01
Stu Cazzo -

Maher finished his show of support for a recession by declaring, "Yes, a recession would be very worth getting rid of Donald Trump and these kinds of policies."

Last week, Maher told his audience that he "really" wished there was another economic recession, arguing such an event would ruin Trump's chances of winning reelection

This situation would have been the same if there was a democratic president. I dont get it. And then republicans would be saying the same thing, right? 

6 days ago
10/22/14
walkinassassin -
angryinch -
Jayn200 - 
Tomato Can - Yea if you count the number of Americans who are 60+ years old or have some underlying condition (obesity, hypertension, diabetes, asthma, etc.) you're talking about a huge percentage of the population.

There are very few people dying under 60 even those with underlying conditions.

Death isn't always the worst thing that can result from catching covid.  

Ya'll are some incredibly narrow-minded and short-sighted motherfuckers.

This. Even if you beat it without going on a vent. You can still have permanent reduction on lung capacity/ issues with heart and scar tissue

Where do you see this? 

6 days ago
6/27/05
Braf Zachland -
Stu Cazzo -

This situation would have been the same if there was a democratic president. I dont get it. And then republicans would be saying the same thing, right? 

No idea....but is sure does seem like we’re living the green new deal these days.

6 days ago
9/8/02
kungfugrip - 

Would those 99% died in the same time period without the Corona virus?  If those people would have continued to live a normal to them life for years to come, it's still a pretty large issue. 

Statistically the next day was likely to kill them at their age.

Edited: 6 days ago
1/1/01
Jayn200 -
walkinassassin -
angryinch -
Jayn200 - 
Tomato Can - Yea if you count the number of Americans who are 60+ years old or have some underlying condition (obesity, hypertension, diabetes, asthma, etc.) you're talking about a huge percentage of the population.

This. Even if you beat it without going on a vent. You can still have permanent reduction on lung capacity/ issues with heart and scar tissue

Where do you see this? 

Some patients who survive COVID-19 may suffer lasting lung damage

http://www.advisory.com/daily-briefing/2020/04/17/organ-damage

6 days ago
3/14/04
emu67 - 

Once they found out who was at risk, they should have opened the country and told the people at risk to shelter in place. This is something like the Spanish flu that attacks young people, this was an old and frail problem. Taking a little humanity out of this, this particular population is already a drain on society so further harming society just to protect them doesn’t make sense.

The problem with that is that they still aren't 100% sure who is and who isn't at risk.  Obviously old people with other conditions are at risk but now they're finding out that children are starting to show all kinds of fucked up symptoms, young healthy people are dying, others are suffering serious long lasting side effects, basically everyone is potentially at risk.  

6 days ago
11/19/08
BigEyedFish -

still no reason to destroy the economy and thousands of households

Millions...

6 days ago
6/7/12
the_shrike -
Jayn200 -
walkinassassin -
angryinch -
Jayn200 - 

Where do you see this? 

Some patients who survive COVID-19 may suffer lasting lung damage

http://www.advisory.com/daily-briefing/2020/04/17/organ-damage

Thanks for posting that. Its not from fox news though so I doubt anyone will consider it credible on the og

5 days ago
7/10/02
chad_mcjangle - 
Palmala Handerson - 
kungfugrip -

Would those 99% died in the same time period without the Corona virus?  If those people would have continued to live a normal to them life for years to come, it's still a pretty large issue. 

Not large enough to destroy the economy and millions of lives. This is starting to look like a test. They should’ve advised the sick and elderly to self isolate. Not the entire planet. 

I think it's less a "test" and more a new virus that people don't fully understand yet.

Yep. I was fine with all the measures at first. But we know more now, and it's been a while that for 95% of places we should get back to normal ASAP!

5 days ago
7/10/02

"Thanks for posting that. Its not from fox news though so I doubt anyone will consider it credible on the og"

So according to you because that virus is dangerous and cause permanent harm to some we should continue to shut down everything till it passes away or the famous vaccine comes to save the day?

Confinement is mandatory. Getting out is not. Stay home and let us be.

Edited: 5 days ago
1/1/01
Sprawl'n'Stall - "Thanks for posting that. Its not from fox news though so I doubt anyone will consider it credible on the og"

So according to you because that virus is dangerous and cause permanent harm to some we should continue to shut down everything till it passes away or the famous vaccine comes to save the day?

another good article on the challenges and effects of covid19:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/52760992

5 days ago
6/27/05
Sprawl'n'Stall -

"Thanks for posting that. Its not from fox news though so I doubt anyone will consider it credible on the og"

These assholes will never admit to an acceptable goal.

4 days ago
1/2/06
Soup and Beer -
OG2006 - 
Soup and Beer -

One of the underlying conditions is high blood pressure.  Even if you have it under control with medication, it's still an underlying condition.  Without covid one could live another 50 years with that condition.  And one out of three Americans have high blood pressure.  So it's not so easy to dismiss a fatality from that.

Quarantine everyone with high blood pressure. 

Those with high blood pressure and misty just fat. Tell them they can go out when they loose weight and get the BP in line. 

This is Science 

https://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/files/docs/public/heart/hbp_low.pdf

Well I have high blood pressure and am not overweight at all.  Until recently I did BJJ and had a lot of exercise as well.  I also eat fairly healthy.  But without a combination of two BP pills my numbers hit about 170/100.   With the pills it's at 110/75.

My point wasn't that we need to lock down.  Only that it's a fallacy to marginalize the virus because it only affects people with underlying conditions.   If that meant only people with lung cancer, and the morbidly obese, then fine.  But that's not the case.  But we should re-open and those with underlying conditions like me have to make their own decisions on what to do.

I agree. 

4 days ago
1/2/06
banco -
OG2006 -

I don’t care if we isolate 40 percent with these conditions. Let the 60 percent go free. 

These 40 percent could drop to say 10 percent in a three month quarentine by eating less. Or stay fat and isolated I don’t care. 

The remaining 10 percent could isolate forever or go out and roll the dice. Up to them. 

How are you going to isolate 40 to 50 percent of the population? The 40 to 50 percent all live alone do they?

Temporarily isolate - like what is happening now.

. At the end of the day I support people making their own decisions on how risky it is. It’s not very risky to tons of people. 

4 days ago
7/28/08
the_shrike -
Sprawl'n'Stall - "Thanks for posting that. Its not from fox news though so I doubt anyone will consider it credible on the og"

another good article on the challenges and effects of covid19:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/52760992

This all sounds very dramatic, with the poor exhausted doctors etc. (Let’s give them a round of applause hey?) but the fact is the UK has 40000 deaths, of which half never made it to hospital (elderly in care homes). 

the average age of the remaining 90% of deaths is older than the average age from any other type of death, which means they were due it anyway.

im sure without the lockdown we’d all be dead by now tho. Ps the BBC is a horse shit resource for unbiased reporting.