OtherGround Forums Cuomo: quarantine may have backfired

14 days ago
1/1/01
Cuomo admits that coronavirus quarantine may have backfired in some cases

Sweeping statewide quarantine orders may not have been the most effective strategy to combat the coronavirus, Gov. Andrew Cuomo conceded on Thursday, as he weighed plans to restart the economy.

“We closed everything down. That was our public health strategy,” said Cuomo during an Albany press briefing. “If you re-thought that or had time to analyze that public health strategy, I don’t know that you would say ‘Quarantine everyone.'”

It’s the third day in a row that Cuomo has publicly mused about quarantines and how best to eventually restart the Empire State’s shattered economy.

But Wednesday, Cuomo’s answer during an hour-long news conference about quarantines — which are backed by city and state health officials — took a new turn as he speculated it might have spread the disease.

“I don’t even know that that was the best public health policy. Young people then quarantined with older people, [it] was probably not the best public health strategy,” he said. “The younger people could have been exposing the older people to an infection.”

So far, New York has clocked 37,258 confirmed cases and 385 deaths from COVID-19.

Cuomo has frequently countered his quarantine remarks by criticizing President Trump’s push to get business reopened by Easter, warning the apex of the coronavirus pandemic in New York is still two to three weeks away.

https://nypost.com/2020/03/26/cuomo-admits-that-quarantine-may-have-backfired-in-some-cases/
14 days ago
9/8/02
Many are now saying the curve isn't flattened and the steps we have all taken haven't been very effective at doing much...who knows. But, if that is the case, we need to get the economy going while focusing efforts at every hot spot that pops up. If the crap lives on surfaces for "2 weeks" and "despite measures 3/4th of Americans will get virus" let's just move forward and protect those most likely to fill up the hospitals...old, compromised.

Throw every resource at the regional flare ups, keep travel restrictions in place, keep restrictions on large public events, but open up commerce. Let people like myself try and salvage a job.
14 days ago
2/9/09

It isnt effective because most people are still out and about 

14 days ago
1/25/04

will the left trash him now?

14 days ago
1/1/01

I was watching a live report from NY and everyone was that the park standing right next to each other and sitting around a fountain. Zero social distancing taking place. That why it doesn't work! 

14 days ago
9/8/02
Mutant - 

I was watching a live report from NY and everyone was that the park standing right next to each other and sitting around a fountain. Zero social distancing taking place. That why it doesn't work! 

Well, then open it up...if there is no difference and people are not following instructions.
14 days ago
1/25/04

Cuomo stressed the need for both public health and economic growth. “We have to do both,” said the governor. “We’re working on it.”

14 days ago
2/2/08
How do you quarantine a sardine can city like NYC?
14 days ago
5/14/10
LOL Oh now they were wrong again. Better give everyone a $50K raise before the truth comes out!
14 days ago
8/17/08

fatality rate is now estimated at .02% which means over 3 years it's likely less than influenza (the flu)

this is an infrastructure problem.  Once you get enough ventilators and beds open everything back up.

14 days ago
7/31/09

Our social distancing is take out and not socializing with stranger. Lol. 

14 days ago
10/25/05

Peope aren't going to work in restaurants, but they're still meeting up with friends at home, and doing other dumb shit. The quaranteen isn't the problem, it's that people are fucking stupid. 

14 days ago
10/25/05
Kings21 -

Our social distancing is take out and not socializing with stranger. Lol. 

This is exactly right. 

14 days ago
10/10/02

Half of the city could die and honestly ny would be better off.

14 days ago
5/28/12
Mutant -

Unfortunately people are fucking idiots...

14 days ago
1/1/01
MMALOGIC - 

fatality rate is now estimated at .02% which means over 3 years it's likely less than influenza (the flu)

this is an infrastructure problem.  Once you get enough ventilators and beds open everything back up.

Using that camicom math?
14 days ago
11/14/11

i imagine the strategy would work but only if people stayed in.  bunch of dumb asses have no work so lets all get together and socialize.

14 days ago
9/8/02
NKcell - 

Half of the city could die and honestly ny would be better off.

But don't close the precious delis and their rot meat.
14 days ago
11/1/03

I think most people are doing the right thing. I believe this was already spread before the lockdown. The pics you see are largely isolated cases. The big problem on restarting the economy in NY is the mass transit system. Its the ideal place for this to spread. Plus theres so many less riders on the LIRR they had to shut down so many cars that the ones running are crowded. I think they should leave NYC shutdown until the virus passes. Open up the rest of NY on a case by case basis. In less dense areas open business but advise people to take precautions.  Its a mess, no easy answers.

14 days ago
12/9/13
The Closed Guard -

It isnt effective because most people are still out and about 

??? The fuck.  I’m in Kansas where it’s virtually non existent and it’s like 90% of the population has disappeared.

14 days ago
10/3/16
Animal Mother -

Peope aren't going to work in restaurants, but they're still meeting up with friends at home, and doing other dumb shit. The quaranteen isn't the problem, it's that people are fucking stupid. 

The world needs a good pandemic that only targets the stupid

14 days ago
12/10/18
MMALOGIC -

Fuck your disinfo, fuckface

14 days ago
10/2/12
Animal Mother -

Hi people. 

14 days ago
4/27/18
MMALOGIC -

You’re right. But three dumb shits downvoted you. No less than the wsj said the same thing.

well they said less deadly than the flu by a factor of 10

14 days ago
4/27/18
LieDetector -
MMALOGIC -

Fuck your disinfo, fuckface

Nope he’s likely right. wSJ just had an article regarding this