OtherGround Forums Dear cancer: f you. Sincerely: mbns

1/29/17 10:44 AM
9/8/10
andyman011 -
McBottery -
andyman011 - I truly feel like there's some pieces of shit in the pharmaceutical companies that have the answer but would rather profit from human suffering.
Wrong
You would know.
Yes, yes I would.

I bitch slapped AI around with this topic the same day this thread was made if you'd like to check it out.
1/29/17 10:53 AM
9/21/14

People who claim Big Pharma is suppressing some kind of magic cure misunderstand what cancer is, what big pharma is and how cancer treatment works.

Cancer is you, it isn't foreign so it's incredibly difficult to treat with conventional drugs without mildly poisoning the patient. Only with the advent of cutting edge diagnostics and cutting edge genetic/immunotherapies does the chances of success increase and the side effects decrease.

1/29/17 11:02 AM
9/1/04
Go MBN!
1/29/17 11:04 AM
5/10/12

Kick its ass sea bass!

1/29/17 3:00 PM
12/7/11
TheNormal -

People who claim Big Pharma is suppressing some kind of magic cure misunderstand what cancer is, what big pharma is and how cancer treatment works.

Cancer is you, it isn't foreign so it's incredibly difficult to treat with conventional drugs without mildly poisoning the patient. Only with the advent of cutting edge diagnostics and cutting edge genetic/immunotherapies does the chances of success increase and the side effects decrease.

Not a magic cure, but they know how to kill it but they'd rather suppress it. There's no money in a cure, theres tons of money from constant treatment.
1/29/17 3:39 PM
9/21/14

So not a magic cure but they know how to kill it?

I suggest you read about cancer rather than conspiracy sites. Killing cancer is easy, not killing your patient whilst killing cancer is more difficult.

1/29/17 4:41 PM
1/19/12
andyman011 -
TheNormal -

Not a magic cure, but they know how to kill it but they'd rather suppress it. There's no money in a cure, theres tons of money from constant treatment.

There's no money in cure?

I guess someone forgot to tell me they will have to give away the medicine for free.

1/29/17 4:58 PM
9/8/10
andyman011 -
TheNormal -

So what about the hundreds of small biotech companies, non-profit research institutes, and research in academia that are making $0 on cancer treatments but are searching for cures?  How is big pharma controlling all this again?

Oh wait, you know absolutely nothing about the industry or the disease.

3/18/17 10:35 PM
5/28/02

dear cancer,

you're never thinking of me, but i'm always thinking of how to get rid of you.

sincerely,

mbn

some cool shit going on at work right now, very exciting. its on my mind alot, saturday night is supposed to be for a few beers and the best 32 seconds of mrs. mbns weekend... back at it monday.

3/18/17 10:58 PM
1/1/01
microbiologynerd - 

dear cancer,

sincerely,

mbn

some cool shit going on at work right now, very exciting. its on my mind alot, saturday night is supposed to be for a few beers and the best 32 seconds of mrs. mbns weekend... back at it monday.

I wish you and the mrs. a solid minute of esctasy mbn!

THRUST HARD AND TRUST DEEP!
3/18/17 10:58 PM
9/8/10
microbiologynerd -

dear cancer,

sincerely,

mbn

i graduate in 2 months.

hire me.

3/18/17 10:59 PM
5/28/02
Degree?

In san diego?
3/18/17 11:08 PM
1/1/01

TTT!

3/18/17 11:09 PM
1/1/01
ms. in biochem
midwest.
Willing to move
3/18/17 11:15 PM
9/8/10
microbiologynerd - Degree?

In san diego?

bs in biochem, mba, and ms in biotech, very much want to leave boston ;)

3/18/17 11:20 PM
12/9/05

Good luck MBN.

Fuck angiosarcoma. Family member is 34 and just married 6 months ago, great guy and incredible family.

3/18/17 11:47 PM
1/5/11
My name is Choadler, and I proudly support this thread.
3/18/17 11:48 PM
1/5/11
the_b00ts -
Sean Thompson -

ttt FUCK CANCER

This was awesome until the "Lesbian and Democrat" sign. So in a small video about cancer survivors and those that had family die from cancer, she decided to inject her political and sexual beliefs. 

This last election caused immense butthurt. When politics get introduced, I turn that person off instantly. Just hoping people realize that at some point.
3/18/17 11:59 PM
1/5/11
As a frequent visitor, and resident of the cancer world for the past 9 years, let me give my take.

No conspiracy, no monatary influence, no scheme is holding back a cancer cure. Lack of money may be, but that is a different animal.

My wife is alive now, because she visits the dana Faber every 3 weeks. My daughter is gone, despite her trips to the dana faber for 2 1/2 years. Cancer is a motherfucker. If you have ever had a family member w cancer, you would know nothing would ever hold you back from releasing a cure if you had it in your pocket.

Many types of cancer. It is complex. I think some may never be cured. I just think the conspiracy guys have no fucking clue about the science behind it.

Calling cancer "cancer" is so non-specific. Having trouble finding the words. Cancer itself is easily more complex than any disease process that happens outside of the cancer realm. I don't think the bystanders understand that.
3/19/17 12:13 AM
1/1/01
ttt
3/19/17 12:24 AM
1/1/01

Mbn, question:

what does the nerd fight against cancer look like on a daily basis? Are there daily revelations that must be tweaked or differing opinions that are argued and then courses of actions for pursuit discussed..? What does a day in the office look like?

3/19/17 1:37 AM
6/5/05

Respect on fighting the good fight. 

3/19/17 5:26 AM
1/1/01
Cancer just took one of my childhood "Stand by me" friends. He got diagnosed in December and died Feb. 27.

Fuck cancer.
3/19/17 7:49 AM
1/1/01
I'm hopeful and excited about nanotechnology's role in helping us battle cancer (and all disease).

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/health-and-families/health-news/cancer-treatment-using-nanotechnology-tested-with-astounding-results-a6930841.html

Cancer treatment using nanotechnology tested with 'astounding' results

Scientists believe technique could offer treatment for metastatic cancer of lungs and liver after successful tests on mice

A new cancer treatment that uses nanotechnology has shown “astounding” results in mice.

Scientists believe the technique could offer a treatment for metastatic cancer of the lungs and liver, two of the main causes of death for patients with a wide range of incurable cancers that have spread around the body.

The researchers developed a method of delivering anti-cancer drugs to these vital organs using a “nanoparticle generator” that can bypass a tumour cell’s ability to develop drug resistance.

Tests on mice with incurable breast cancer that has spread to the lungs shows that half of them were effectively cured of the disease after eight months of follow-up – equivalent to 24 years of long-term survival in humans.

If the finding were to be replicated by other researchers, it would represent a new milestone in cancer therapy, coming just weeks after breakthroughs in cancer immunology where the body’s own immune defences were shown to be capable of launching an attack on spreading tumours.

The latest treatment is based on injecting the patient with a porous silicon material that has been absorbed with an anti-cancer drug. After injection into the blood stream, the material is carried to the site of a tumour where the silicon breaks down to produce cancer-killing nanoparticles.

Mauro Ferrari, the scientist who led the work at the Houston Methodist Research Institute in Texas, said that the results on mice are unprecedented and clinical trials on the first human patients could begin as early as next year, using a “nanoparticle generator” to improve the potency of existing anti-cancer drugs.

“To my very best understanding, this is the first case we’ve ever seen of a therapy with a well understood mechanism that can provide long-term, disease-free survival of our pre-clinical animal populations,” Dr Ferrari said.

“If this bears out in the clinical realm, even a short fraction in the preclinical experimentation that we did, it will be transformational. It will be the first ever demonstration of a cure of metastatic disease to the lungs,” he said.

The study, published in the journal Nature Biotechnology, used a standard chemotherapy drug called doxorubicin. However, it was the drug-delivery mechanism, using nanotechnology, that produced the stunning results, he said. Nanotechnology refers to the science of extremely small things, and the approach has recently seen major breakthroughs in an array of scientific fields.

“Lung and liver metastases are the two main reasons why we lose cancer patients. The results we have proven with this paper is that we can provide a functional cure; we can essentially cure long-term, [giving] disease-free survival for about 50 per cent of the animals that we provided this therapy to,” Dr Ferrari said.

“Through understanding the mechanism we can begin to think about strategies that will work for the other 50 per cent as well,” he said.

“If this research bears out in humans and we see even a fraction of this survival time, we are still talking about dramatically extending life for many years. That’s essentially providing a cure in a patient population that is now being told there is none,” he added.

The nanoparticle generator effectively concentrates the anti-cancer drug within the tumour cells, leaving healthy cells untouched, which should avoid many of the toxic side-effect seen in patients treated conventionally. The nanoparticle polymer breaks down into single strands that curl up into nanoparticles. These are quickly absorbed by cancer cells and taken into the cell nucleus where the drug is released and the cell dies.

“This may sound like science fiction, like we’ve penetrated and destroyed the Death Star, but what we discovered is transformational. We invented a method that actually makes the nanoparticles inside the cancer and release the drug particles at the site of the cellular nucleus,” Dr Ferrari said.

“I would never want to overpromise to the thousands of cancer patients looking for a cure, but the data is astounding. We’re talking about changing the landscape of curing metastatic disease, so it’s no longer a death sentence,” he said.
3/19/17 7:58 AM
3/6/10
microbiologynerd -
FreightTrain - Chemo-poison is a billion dollar industry.
Chemo and radiation therapies are not perfect. They are also not administered with the intent of "big pharma" to poison patients and make them pay for additonal treatments

Cancer is a bitch, and it takes the collective nerd power and fortitide to press on and develop new ways to attack and kill it, minimizing patient impact.
Just finished 2nd rd of chemo, had radiation during first round. I agree with you completely. Untreated and I would be dead much sooner than later. Stage 3 rectal, getting scan in 2 weeks.