OtherGround Forums Deer Hunter....not that good

7 days ago
9/27/15
This movie is very hyped by many but I just don't get it..I've tried various times to sit and watch it but quickly become bored..I love Deniro and Walken but this flick just doesn't pull me in

Anyone else not care for this movie? Maybe you love it, if so what exactly do you like about it?
7 days ago
4/13/12

You should reenact the russian roulette scene alone.

Edited: 7 days ago
9/13/06

That is a great movie.  Love the relationship development.  It’s a little dated and the entire concept didn’t age well, however it is a classic.  It’s like “Stand By Me” for blue collar adults during the Vietnam War.  Very coming of middle age kind of movie.  There is a definitive transition from carefree 20 somethings to the reality of adulthood during that time, and honestly for many generations that faced major conflicts.  

7 days ago
11/21/19

Great film with a lot of familiar faces.

7 days ago
5/3/01

sometimes movies are so influential that you've seen all of the good parts in other movies they inspired.

happens a lot then people finally getting around to seeing these "seminal" classics. i didn't get the god father first time i watched it. people acted like i personally aborted jesus.

7 days ago
7/12/13

Cut 30-45 minutes out of that movie and add one scene of a waiter slipping on a banana peel and it would be my favorite movie ever.

7 days ago
11/19/19

Turn that shit off and turn on some Deliverance.

7 days ago
1/1/01
The first half was great character-building and exposition, but it got stupider and stupider in Vietnam.
7 days ago
7/24/16

Never seen it. One of the few so-called classics I have not seen.

7 days ago
3/23/12
Peixes -

sometimes movies are so influential that you've seen all of the good parts in other movies they inspired.

happens a lot then people finally getting around to seeing these "seminal" classics. i didn't get the god father first time i watched it. people acted like i personally aborted jesus.

The Godfather, it. . . It insists upon itself.

7 days ago
7/22/15
ons ear - This movie is very hyped by many but I just don't get it..I've tried various times to sit and watch it but quickly become bored..I love Deniro and Walken but this flick just doesn't pull me in

Anyone else not care for this movie? Maybe you love it, if so what exactly do you like about it?

It's too much for you, Why don't you admit you hate RD, this conversation would go much smoother. If you don't get the movie, maybe you should watch some Vietnam Documentaries.

7 days ago
2/5/06

Nah you crazy 

7 days ago
4/6/19

go back and watch it in 1980

7 days ago
8/12/09
Wayne Glamcock - 

go back and watch it in 1980

this...
I think it meant a lot to people back then.
Edited: 7 days ago
5/9/10
ScreenName22 -

Turn that shit off and turn on some Deliverance.

Ahh, a romantic.  But Deer Hunter is about love friend, you dismiss the tragic for the guttural.  But to each their own I guess.

7 days ago
10/4/18
Deer Hunter not that good?? WTF?
7 days ago
1/1/01

The escape scene is the most intense scene in movie history.  that movie is incredible. 

7 days ago
3/20/15

You're not wrong, man. 

It's slow and boring, but we're clearly in the minority. I'm of the same opinion regarding most mafia films with a notable exception for Godfather I & II and Goodfellas.

I just don't get it.

I think a lot of people love these films because of these great and complex characters. It might be valid for Deer Hunter although I watched it almost 20 years ago and don't remember specifics, but most of these mafioso types have low intelligence and fragile egos. Apart from their ruthlessness and organization they are pretty pathetic individuals and their drama isn't very interesting, "Hey Vinnie, are you disrespecting me? Nobody disrespects me!" *yawn*

I'm ready for the influx of hate from the similarly triggered fragile egos. 

7 days ago
5/10/04

Great movie.

But yeah,need to be in the right mood to watch.
7 days ago
8/20/03

Epic movie and Bobby D gets a douchebag pass for life thanks to his performance.

I watch it at least once a year.

7 days ago
12/15/02

you sound like the type of asshole that shows up to deer camp with no boots.

7 days ago
3/23/12
Blizass -

Epic movie and Bobby D gets a douchebag pass for life thanks to his performance.

I watch it at least once a year.

FUUUUUUUCK TRUUUUUMP!!!!!!!!

7 days ago
10/4/18
Its one of my Holiday must watch movies.
7 days ago
12/15/02

cazale was amazing.

the walls of the bar are filled with old deer hunting pics of my grandfather and his brothers/homies. one of my uncles worked in props for the movie.

7 days ago
5/20/19

The reason why you don’t like it is because in those days there was no CGI, no incessant Flash Cuts, no 500 million dollar budget, no breakneck pace, no million dollar explosions that are in every movie today. 

Of course you wouldn’t get it because you have been ruined by movies like Bad Boys, Rush Hour, Avatar, Gladiator, Aliens, Starship Troopers. 

Once you have been exposed to movies like that, there’s no way you can enjoy Ciminos Heavens Gate or Orsons Citizen Kane or any other movie that moves slow and takes 30 min to an hour getting to slowly know each character. How could you when modern movies make you learn the characters in the first 2 minutes?