OtherGround Forums Detroit is a great food city

15 days ago
5/23/12

https://www.freep.com/story/news/local/michigan/detroit/2017/01/17/detroit-food-city-national-geographic/96659152/

Detroit earned recognition from the New York Times earlier this month as a top travel destination worldwide for 2017.

Now it's earning publicity as a top "unexpected" food destination, this time from National Geographic.

The Washington, D.C.-based publication named Detroit the top unexpected food destination in North America this year. And considering it named only one city for each of the six continents not named Antarctica, that's pretty high praise.

"Wait, Detroit? Yes," wrote National Geographic writer Nancy Gupton. "The city better known as a center for automakers and manufacturing is revving its culinary motors."

Nat Geo also made some local recommendations, depending on what travelers are looking for.

For those looking for a neighborhood with a "food frenzy," Corktown offers "all types of eateries ... from breakfast joints to fine dining."

"Try the breakfast poutine on the patio at Brooklyn Street Local or the duck bop hash at Dime Store," Gupton wrote. "For lunch, hit up Onassis Coney Island for Detroit's classic Coney dog, a hot dog with chili sauce, onions, and mustard, or Slows Bar BQ for beef brisket and pulled pork. Once you're hungry again, head to Katoi, a newish and trendy Southeast Asian spot. Try the khao soi kai curry noodle soup."

(Dime Store is in downtown, not Corktown, but you get the point.)

For ethnic eats, Gupton suggests Greektown (for, well, Greek food), Hamtramck (for Polish food) and Dearborn (for Middle Eastern fare such as shawarma, falafel and hummus).

An Al-Ameer platter with grape leaves, fried kebbie, chicken shawarma, tawook kabob, kafta, shawarma and falafel at Al-Ameer Restaurant.

An Al-Ameer platter with grape leaves, fried kebbie, chicken shawarma, tawook kabob, kafta, shawarma and falafel at Al-Ameer Restaurant. (Photo: Romain Blanquart, DFP)

Want a night out? Try the Midtown neighborhood just north of downtown.

"Detroit's Midtown neighborhood has many bars and restaurants perfect for a nice night out," Gupton wrote. "Grey Ghost (named after a local Prohibition rumrunner) offers unusual bites, like fried bologna on a waffle, and more traditional items, like dry-aged rib eye. La Feria is a popular tapas bar (don't miss the fried squid), and Selden Standard is a farm-to-table favorite (salt cod fritters with sweet peppers are the standout)."

15 days ago
5/23/12

https://www.mic.com/articles/192557/best-places-to-travel-2019-detroit-michigan-is-quickly-becoming-a-great-food-city-and-theres-something-for-every-budget

From Motown and techno to cars and traffic lights, Detroit has made many contributions to modern American society. And there are many reasons to take a trip to the Motor City: It's got world-class museums such as the Detroit Institute of Arts, trails and waterways for outdoor enthusiasts and, most recently, legalized recreational marijuana.

It's also given the world iconic dishes such as square pizza and Asian corned beef, an Asian fusion take on a Reuben sandwich you probably never thought you needed -- until you try one. Just next door is Dearborn, where there are endless options for delicious and traditional Middle Eastern food. Detroit itself is home to Eastern Market, one of the country's oldest public year-round markets. On Saturdays, you can buy fresh fruits and vegetables, check out the street performers and feast on barbecue while belting out your favorite karaoke song at Bert's Marketplace.

In short, Detroit has always had good food. But the food scene has been evolving and growing in recent years, making the city a must-visit destination for travelers who live to eat. In terms of accommodations (budget-friendly and charming Airbnbs abound, and there are a couple of hostels) and travel costs (Detroit Metropolitan Airport is one of the busiest transportation hubs, so cheap flights are easy to find), Detroit is relatively easier on the wallet -- which means more money for food.

The city is raising the bar with restaurants opening at a fast and furious pace. Several local chefs have been garnering semifinalist nods from the James Beard Foundation, and Kate Williams from Lady of the House was among 2018's best new chefs in Food & Wine magazine. The urban agriculture scene continues to flourish, nourished by young farmers who are dedicated to not just growing organic kale and apples, but also to creating a healthier city that increases access to all Detroiters. Lauded chefs are coming home to open restaurants, such as Mike Ransom, chef at Japanese-inspired eatery Ima, and Max Hardy, who opened River Bistro on the northwest side and Coop in the Detroit Shipping Company, a new food hall in Midtown. Even chefs who aren't from here are setting up shop; Chicago's Thomas Lents came to the Motor City to open the Apparatus Room at the Foundation Hotel in 2017.

The Apparatus Room is just one of several restaurants to open in boutique hotels in recent years. A two-time James Beard semifinalist, Garrett Lipar recently opened the intimate tasting-menu restaurant Albena at the Siren Hotel, which also has a posh craft cocktail bar called Candy Bar. The latest hotel to get into the food-and-drink game is the upcoming Shinola Hotel, a joint venture between high-end watchmaker Shinola and Dan Gilbert's real estate firm Bedrock, which has transformed much of downtown. It's also bringing in some outside talent: Restaurateur Andrew Carmellini will oversee the hotel's Italian restaurant, beer hall and cocktail bar.

The must-try dish

You need to try a coney -- a hot dog topped with beef chili, mustard and onions -- and you need to try it from two different places: American Coney Island and Lafayette Coney Island, two adjacent greasy spoons in downtown Detroit. Vegan? No problem. Chili Mustard Onions can help you get your plant-based coney fix.

Insider intel

15 days ago
11/28/09

No it isn't.

15 days ago
9/23/07

Good lebanese, greek and polish food but thats about it.

Coney Islands are weak. Detroit style pizza is good but not great.

15 days ago
5/23/12
Brockback Mountain -

Good lebanese, greek and polish food but thats about it.

Coney Islands are weak. Detroit style pizza is good but not great.

I can understand you thinking that.. after all, detroit was voted one of the most underrated food cities.

Detroit, Michigan

Whether or not Detroit is "America's most underrated food city" as Food 52 proposed last year, the food website certainly has plenty of reasons to keep it in the running. Among the places Food 52 hails are Buddy's for Detroit-style pizza, Cedar Garden for kibbeh nayyeh (Lebanese lamb tartare), Mexicantown's Honey Bee La Colmena for tamales, and Lafayette Coney Island for coney dogs and chili fries.

There's so much more, however, including Norma G.'s for Trinadadian fare, Capers for cocktails and steak-by-the-ounce, Voyager for oysters and other seafood, the meat-centric Marrow (one of Eater's Best New Restaurants for 2019), Bangkok 96 Street Food for Thai specialties, imaginative New American place Selden Standard, and much more.

15 days ago
4/27/08

Yes, it is. I live in Farmington Hills and can get just about any kind of authentic ethnic food imaginable within a 20 mile radius.

Edited: 15 days ago
11/28/09
Herring in a Fur Coat - Yes, it is. I live in Farmington Hills and can get just about any kind of authentic ethnic food imaginable within a 20 mile radius.

I'll bet. Detroit is a city in the same respect that phillidelphia is a city.  Sure it's bigger thank like, Joliet, IL... but it's not really a city.

So "ethic food" there is basically having a China 1 in a strip mall.

15 days ago
1/1/01
Herring in a Fur Coat - Yes, it is. I live in Farmington Hills and can get just about any kind of authentic ethnic food imaginable within a 20 mile radius.

You can say that about just about any big city tbh

15 days ago
4/27/08
PatK - 
Herring in a Fur Coat - Yes, it is. I live in Farmington Hills and can get just about any kind of authentic ethnic food imaginable within a 20 mile radius.

You can say that about just about any big city tbh

I've had co-workers from Denver and Baltimore say they can't find comparable Indian or Middle Eastern food in their cities.
15 days ago
1/1/01

Detroit isn't a great food city.  It's an underrated food city for sure. 

Mark

Edited: 15 days ago
4/13/12

i don't know if i'd say Detroit style pizza is better than NY, but it's close.

that's all i can say about detroit cuisine.

14 days ago
7/12/16

I've heard the water in that region is great, too.

14 days ago
3/21/12

What city has bad food these days? Any large metro area in America has plenty of good food. Foodie culture has spread wide and far, you probably could even get Ethiopian food in Des Moines.

14 days ago
4/27/08
Kevin85 - 

It is..
Just stay south of Flint.
14 days ago
7/1/15

Fuck yeah it is. I've driven downtown o weekdays just to get food more times than I would like to admit

14 days ago
1/1/01

Sweetwater Tavern in downtown has the best wings I've ever tasted.

14 days ago
5/23/12
Herring in a Fur Coat -
Kevin85 - 

It is..
Just stay south of Flint.

even flints water is fine now. they switched from the awesome water everyone else has to their own system and then did not use the additives needed to not leach the lead out of their old pipes, so it really had nothing to do with actual water quality in the first place. now that they have it figured out they are fine but I think they switched back to our water anyway.  

14 days ago
6/3/18

If you think Detroit doesn't have great food you either have never been to Detroit, don't travel or don't know what good food is. I have been everywhere and there is great food from every culture. I think it comes from being blue collar working a shift and wanting a good meal. Also bad food won't be tolerated. If you want blue collar money you have to match the effort or surprise me. Middle Eastern food Is great. Because Dearborn Has the highest level of middle easterners per square foot of any place on Earth even most parts of the Middle East. They are not known For politely eating food. They don't think is good. And not saying anything. Italian food is really good. Because of all the immigrants for the factories. Our Polish food He's really good. Because Hamtramck had a huge polish population. Our Mexican food is also very good. Because there is a huge Mexican population. You can get a lot. Of authentic dishes in these places that you cannot get anywhere outside their home countries. Now Detroit is filled with sushi and all the new small portion hipster food that everybody likes so much.

Another advantage is that you can go great distances very fast because of our Expressway system. You can be to a place. That is 20 miles away. In 20 minutes. When I'm in Chicago sometimes 20 miles Is an hour and a half? That allows you To genuinely not eat at the same place. For 3 months or more at a time. Because of traffic When you go to some large cities. You have to kind of get the food that is in your area. If you wanted. To try something different you would have to plan or be willing to travel. You can go from Detroit. To Ann Arbor in around 30 minutes and there is a whole new classification of different types of food there. But in Detroit proper There are some amazing places to eat.

14 days ago
7/1/15
Somerville Bad Boy -

You ever had Gus's fried chicken? 

14 days ago
5/3/01

every city's a great food city. it's one of the reasons people like being in cities.

it's like saying elizabeth, indiana is a great farm town. yeah, that's where farms are.

14 days ago
4/27/08

Have to wonder if it was him being a total creep, or if this is something Karen goes through everywhere she goes with her kid. Lets her daughter dress like a hoochie mama just to bait guys into loud virtue signalling confrontation traps.

14 days ago
10/19/12
Vegito Blue -
Somerville Bad Boy -

Gus's is so over rated. Similar to slows. City Wings and Sweetwater have much better chicken than Gus's. 

14 days ago
6/3/18

Ladolcevita is one of my favorites right off of Woodward.

14 days ago
4/27/08
Half speed - 

Ladolcevita is one of my favorites right off of Woodward.

Is it still there in Midtown? For some reason I thought they went out of business.
14 days ago
7/1/15
Pat Giles -
Vegito Blue -
Somerville Bad Boy -

Gus's is so over rated. Similar to slows. City Wings and Sweetwater have much better chicken than Gus's. 

Excuse. Me.