OtherGround Forums Did CPR yesterday...guy died...

30 days ago
8/20/03

So for reasons which I will not go into I was in the area when I was informed that an older guy had been found collapsed in his summer house trailer by the lake.

I went to the location and found this 250+lb guy in his trailer bathroom purple and naked.

I started CPR and medical services showed up and got him rigged up and took over.

30 days ago
4/13/12

So he was pretty much dead when you got there.

30 days ago
8/20/03

When I started CPR he was very purple but as I went on, he went back to a really pink colour and I could hear air going out and getting sucked in.

He was still pretty cool to the touch but his returning colour made me think he might make it.

They even gave him a shot on the old AED which made him jump like a fish.

But as they went on, one of the medics put his hand on my shoulder and told me that he wasn't going to make it and that he was sorry to have to tell me but he wanted me to prepare for a possible passing.

I told him I don't even know this guy. I just wanted to help.

30 days ago
7/7/10

All cpr does it keep the blood pumping so the brain gets blood till paramedics show up 

30 days ago
5/24/17

The world is a better place with people like you in it. Hold your head up .

30 days ago
8/20/03
EFM - 

So he was pretty much dead when you got there.

I don't know. I have no clue as to how long he was there before his neghbour found him.

I guess his wife went out and he decided to take a shower and he was supposed to meet his neighbour to go shopping and his neighbour came to get him and found him.

Then she freaked out and went looking for help.

Which I guess was me.

Although I am not sure how helpful I was in the long run when I look at it now.

30 days ago
7/29/13

Did you feel his ribs breaking when you did chest compressions? Gross feeling. 

30 days ago
6/3/09

Wow that's shitty. You gave him the best chance at making it. Don't blame yourself. 

30 days ago
8/20/03
Stea1th - 

All cpr does it keep the blood pumping so the brain gets blood till paramedics show up 

That was what I was told too. 

I was hoping the defib shocker would bring him back.

He was about 80 and massive.

At one point I wasn't sure if I was doing it right but then I heard ribs breaking and I thought I must be doing it hard enough because they said I'd hear them.

30 days ago
1/1/01

On behalf of the dead guy I want to thank you for trying your best.   You did a good job. 

30 days ago
10/15/13

Image result for facebook prayers emoji

30 days ago
8/20/03
Spunkchops - 

The police were there when his wife came home and she collapsed and they told her everything they could have done was done. 

I felt bad for her.

After the medics called someone to call him dead I helped put a blanket on him and put a pillow under his head so that when she came in she wouldn't see him butt naked and spread eagle on the floor in the kitchen.

At least he would look peaceful.

30 days ago
4/22/17

jumped like a fish huh?

30 days ago
8/20/03
MojoSoDope - 

Did you feel his ribs breaking when you did chest compressions? Gross feeling. 

This isn't the first time I have had to do CPR but this guy was huge but when I got into my rhythym I heard them snap like branches.

When I saw him going from bluey/purple to pink and his colour looking better I was getting excited and I thought maybe he was coming back or at least would be in good enough shape for the medics to start on.

30 days ago
5/19/17

Really cool you went out your way to help the man. Youre a good man

30 days ago
8/20/03
Curtis_E_Bare - 

Wow that's shitty. You gave him the best chance at making it. Don't blame yourself. 

I don't blame myself. 

I just feel bad that this guy died, in the shower, naked, and his wife had to come home to find him with emergency services. 

The EMS head guy told me I did great and said the same thing you did. The guy had a way better chance with the effort than without it.

30 days ago
1/1/01
Spunkchops -

Absolutely this.

You did something, and tried your best. He had no chance of surviving if you didn't act. You did everything you could to give him a chance. Bravo 

30 days ago
8/20/03
Zonion - 

On behalf of the dead guy I want to thank you for trying your best.   You did a good job. 

Thanks dead-guy.

:)

I'll tell you though, it was the longest few minutes ever.

Afterwards the neighbours who called for help told me that they thought I was a pro because I was giving directions to them and doing CPR at the same time.

One of the old guys said in his statement to police that no one was sure what to do until "Action Jackson over there burst in and took care of business."

I had a good laugh about that and the old guy told me that if he is ever in trouble he wants me to be close by.

30 days ago
8/20/03
Al Cappucino - 

Image result for facebook prayers emoji

30 days ago
5/4/14

You’re a good man Dougie. 

Been there. 

Ask for help if it’s ever needed. 

Be good brother. 

30 days ago
8/20/03
Akkadian88 - 

jumped like a fish huh?

Holy jeez, the guy was like 250 pounds plus and he heaved up.

Never thought a guy that size would do that.

They also had this machine they prepped and put him on that was like a spinal board that had a strap that took over from me on the compressions automatically. 

So basically they were around me doing compressions with the AED and this compression board with their monitors until they were ready to take over.

30 days ago
3/21/12
I've never seen a massive 80 year old. Hope he didn't suffer.
30 days ago
8/20/03
Dutchemperor86 - 

Really cool you went out your way to help the man. Youre a good man

He was about 80 they say and in poor health. Lots of meds in the place and an oxygen generator. 

The one medic said he was regularily at the hospital for something.

30 days ago
7/4/16

Did you kiss him ?

30 days ago
4/13/12

you're a good dude OP.  try not to dwell on it.