OtherGround Forums Did Your Dad Get Mad When...

9 days ago
8/7/19
he came home to find his shovel, rake, brooms, etc.. had been cut up to make nunchucks, bos, tonfas, etc...?

Did he get over it and teach you to make a blow dart gun?

Le Shat
©
9 days ago
1/3/18

Ha! If I’d even thought about doing that, my dad would have beat my ass so bad that the neighbor’s kid down the street would feel it. 

9 days ago
2/2/12

Yes. I used some of my dad's lumber to make weapons. Ninja turtles was hot on the street then.

I was really lucky growing up. My grandparents had a farm and my grandpa could make or fix pretty much anything. The man was a genius. I used his genius to get him to make me nunchucks and swords. He made them quality, he actually went to the library and found a book on martial arts and made as many of the weapons as he could for me that he observed in the book. He made me things like tonfa and three section staffs (that I ended up knocking myself out with once) when requested. I got in trouble for bringing nunchucks to school twice. I still have a pair of nunchucks that he made me up at my dad's place, those will go to my children when they get old enough.

I miss you grandpa. 

9 days ago
12/15/11

Yes, made a bo staff from the handle of the rake.

Papa just went and bought another rake.

9 days ago
6/10/02

My dad preemptively bought my brother and I a saber saw and taught us how to make elaborate rubber band guns out of scrap lumber. That evolved into our 80s ninja weapon building phase, but he always made sure to have scrap lumber around so we wouldn't use his stuff. 

9 days ago
4/16/11

I use to get karate chopped in the throat for not holding the flashlight straight. No fucking way

9 days ago
8/11/05
He got mad when I dug through floor tile and was pick axing through the concrete. How was I supposed to make a secret hiding place then?
9 days ago
1/5/11

We made swords out of broomsticks or pvc pipe. Covered it with foam pipe insulation, put a sock over whole thing and tape it.

Made a bad ass sword.

9 days ago
11/17/10

lol

he taught me how to make a cannon using a bamboo trunk, gasoline, and an empty can of pork and beans

the after firing it, the end would flower out like the guns int he cartoons do

9 days ago
2/8/08
My Dad beat my ass in front of my friends for wearing shorts in November. No way in hell I'm touching his tools.

9 days ago
12/23/08

No.

-Passive Jay

9 days ago
8/20/03

When I was a kid, we'd dress up like super heros and run around the neighbourhood.

Some guys made nunchucks and were ninjas, or had a staff and were like robin hood, but I didn't have anything like that.

All I had was an old axe handle so I ended up calling myself the AXE.

The other kids had cool moves.

I would just go running at the bad guy swinging an axe handle

9 days ago
7/30/14

We made tonfas and nunchuks out of our Indian neighbours mom’s spare dining chairs. I think she used one of the legs to beat my mate with when she found out. We’d painted them red for danger.

9 days ago
6/30/07

My Dad? Hell yes.

My stepdad? That fucker took me to my first "ninja" movie around 79 or 80.

His friend showed me how to measure from elbow to wrist, drill the holes, how to tie the special knot after making sure it was exactly as long as your fist is wide.

After making my first chucks out of Dowling I wanted something beefier so he bought me a set of octagon hardwood pruner handles to work with.

Those things were deadly.

It's funny, I have no idea what happened to any set I ever made, but 40 years later I could hang another set out no problem. Still remember the pattern to thread the p cord thru all those holes.

My grandad made us wooden swords out of trim and fence rail (that we constantly broke across each other's heads) and shields out of Masonite that we painted with made up family crests.

Boys like/need to hurt each other and break shit. Good dad's (and grandad's!) understand this.

9 days ago
6/30/07
choadler -

We made swords out of broomsticks or pvc pipe. Covered it with foam pipe insulation, put a sock over whole thing and tape it.

Made a bad ass sword.

We did that. Made throwing Spears too with washers in one end to make them fly straight.

It was basically the crusades in my front yard every day with a couple of ninjas and a wookie thrown in for good measure.

1979 might have been the greatest year of my life, lol.

9 days ago
7/30/14

I think we need an OG weapon making contest. Everyone donates 5 dollars to the winners charity of choice. 

Fuck off Alto, no knives! Give us a chance.

9 days ago
1/1/01

Never touched my dad's stuff but I used many broomsticks to make nunchucks. I would also wrap them with electrical tape to hide the evidence. 

9 days ago
8/7/19
Mountain Medic - 

My Dad? Hell yes.

My stepdad? That fucker took me to my first "ninja" movie around 79 or 80.

His friend showed me how to measure from elbow to wrist, drill the holes, how to tie the special knot after making sure it was exactly as long as your fist is wide.

After making my first chucks out of Dowling I wanted something beefier so he bought me a set of octagon hardwood pruner handles to work with.

Those things were deadly.

It's funny, I have no idea what happened to any set I ever made, but 40 years later I could hang another set out no problem. Still remember the pattern to thread the p cord thru all those holes.

My grandad made us wooden swords out of trim and fence rail (that we constantly broke across each other's heads) and shields out of Masonite that we painted with made up family crests.

Boys like/need to hurt each other and break shit. Good dad's (and grandad's!) understand this.

We decided to have a "war" with the kids on the other side of the neighborhood. We had a big woodlands in between an would meet there for battles. Swords, shields, nunchucks, etc.. We got carried away and those kids told their parents and then we had to fight among ourselves...which also got shut down because apparently we can't dart each other.

Also, no worse pain for a kid learning nunchucks then hitting the inside of your elbow. Just electricity running up and down and trying not to show it.

Le Shat
©
9 days ago
12/29/12
My Grandpaw had some sort of old phone. Basically a wooden box that had a crank that you had to rotate. He somehow set it up that that fucker would shock you as you turned that crank. He loved it and all my boy cousins did too.
9 days ago
12/29/12
We'd just take turns shocking ourselves for hours lol. Good times.
9 days ago
3/12/07

No, didn't need to. I had the real thing.

9 days ago
6/30/07
Dragunov -

I think we need an OG weapon making contest. Everyone donates 5 dollars to the winners charity of choice. 

Fuck off Alto, no knives! Give us a chance.

I want to see the $100 throwing stars that wop bastard makes!!!

And the halberd

9 days ago
5/15/07
Our weapons of choice in our house were boxing gloves and guns.
9 days ago
1/1/01
Burt Reynoldz - Our weapons of choice in our house were boxing gloves and guns.

Same.
Edited: 9 days ago
1/1/01
"Did Your Dad Get Mad"

You could've just stopped there. The answer was yes.

Doesn't matter what you said after that. The answer was almost always yes.