OtherGround Forums Do you get sick more/less often than you used to?

7 days ago
6/26/06

I used to get colds all the damn time in my 20's.  Combination of lifting weights hard but drinking 3 or 4 nights a week that were hangover worthy.  My 30's with kids and dad/wife era I was sick a bunch too prob from lack of sleep and shit diet

44 now and not to jinx it but I don't get sick anymore.  I think the actual key is my time spent outside.  Running but lots and lots of walking.  I walked in the absolute shittiest coldest storms over last few winters and I swear it makes immune system strong like bull.   

Are you a walking sniffle?  You wuss 

7 days ago
6/19/10

I get sick like once every two years if that. Havent had a flu shot since i can remember. 

7 days ago
1/1/01

I get sick much less than when I was in my 20's as well.

7 days ago
2/28/13

I haven't been sick in like ten years 

7 days ago
1/1/01

Only time I remember being sick in recent years, was a few years ago when my doctor convinced me to get a flu shot. The very next day I started feeling sick, and it kept getting worse for a couple days. Took four or five days to finally get over it 

7 days ago
6/26/06

Only times I can remember we're doing too many crossfit/Orangetheory/bootcamp type of class in too short of a timeframe .  I remember doing 3 bootcamp classes in one week a few years ago and I was run down for like a month.

7 days ago
1/1/01
I get sick pretty frequently. Like once every couple months. I also hike , bike and swim a lot outside year round . I work out, do yoga. Eat fairly healthy

I have allergies pretty bad. Think I’m allergic to certain beers & booze. Too much smoke & coke I feel like shit. I still party occasionally so all that wears my immune system down. The days of unhealthy air quality I usually feel sick

On the flip side I never get the flu. I’ve never had an STD (have had lots of sex)

I’m almost OPs age. I think my worst Ailment is stiffness. Stiff neck, stiff lower back. Sucks
Also sleep years of insomnia :(
7 days ago
1/1/01
Reminds me

I did a Yosemite back country hike last year. Fucked my body up for a month afterwards. 40 miles of hiking with a 50# pack. Half dome day hike and back packing in the sierras was awesome & Felt good until the last day. Foot got hurt and was in lots of pain.

Body felt worn down & weak after the trip. Reminder I am getting old and probably done doing long distance hike with big back pack.

Days I’m tired of sickly I skip the gym now. Sadly it’s more frequent than I’d like. A thin line between keep moving & staying active VS wearing yourself out and getting sick
7 days ago
4/13/12

rarely get sick.  got the flu twice since college (21 years now, damn) and i was out for days.  one of them i slept for 20 hours straight.

7 days ago
8/6/16

In my forties, don't exercise much and the family say I'm a workaholic but I rarely get sick. In my teens and 20s I went to the gym and trained TMA alot and was pretty fit but was always sick. Not sure why it worked out like that.

7 days ago
7/28/08
Girly -

I used to get colds all the damn time in my 20's.  Combination of lifting weights hard but drinking 3 or 4 nights a week that were hangover worthy.  My 30's with kids and dad/wife era I was sick a bunch too prob from lack of sleep and shit diet

44 now and not to jinx it but I don't get sick anymore.  I think the actual key is my time spent outside.  Running but lots and lots of walking.  I walked in the absolute shittiest coldest storms over last few winters and I swear it makes immune system strong like bull.   

Are you a walking sniffle?  You wuss 

Pretty much exactly same pattern for me, although I’m a youngster at 41.

7 days ago
10/5/11

My key to never getting sick is drinking a ton of water. Whenever I feel my body start to fight something off I up the hydration. 

7 days ago
11/5/16

I’ve always been pretty healthy in regards to getting sick and still am (47). The one exception is I would get strep for awhile early teen to early college years, I rarely get it anymore.

7 days ago
6/26/06

I also recently heard people crank so much zinc when they're sick or it's cold season that they end up with a copper deficiency and that can cause sickness too 

7 days ago
12/15/11
Thai Dye -

My key to never getting sick is drinking a ton of water. Whenever I feel my body start to fight something off I up the hydration. 

Fluids work great for me too.

7 days ago
3/12/07

More, but it's due to my travel schedule, not really age.

7 days ago
11/11/14

I sleep without an alarm clock now. It's the best thing I ever did. I never get sick anymore and wake up feeling refreshed.

7 days ago
7/4/05
Before I opened this thread, I bet my grandma that it was gonna be OP bragging about how he doesn't get sick. Grandma had better pay up.
7 days ago
5/24/17

Maybe it's because when we were younger we over exert ourselves causing our immune system to lower ?

7 days ago
9/19/12

Check out L-lysine. I had a doc recommend it for something else a few years ago, and I recently realized that I hadn't been sick, at least that I recall (which is saying something in and of itself) in that time frame. So not only did it fix the one issue, but perhaps the other as well. It does say immune system on the label. Then suddenly, not only was my one issue back, but I had the worst cold, too. I thought about it and realized I had opened a new bottle of L-lysine within the past few weeks, and it was some off-brand. Immediately went and bought a nice brand and the original issue I was taking it for made a quick retreat. Unfortunately a cold is a cold and it took its time leaving, but it'll be exciting to see if it again stays away on the nice brand L-lysine. 

7 days ago
4/11/11

Always get sick once a year. Always have. Usually just a 3 to 5 day cold.

7 days ago
8/8/09
ShortyMac - 

I sleep without an alarm clock now. It's the best thing I ever did. I never get sick anymore and wake up feeling refreshed.

I wish I could do this. If I did, I would not get up 'til four o'clock - PM! I still use two alarms.
7 days ago
12/15/00

When I first had kids it was brutal...sick all the time.

Now, I tend to avoid colds etc. pretty well...one thing I swear by is Zicam nasal swabs.  The very first time I start feeling like I have a scratchy throat, I start using the zicam nasal swabs every 3 hours and probably 90% of the time the cold never materializes. Key thing though is to not wait until you actually get real symptoms...you have to start the second you start feeling that weird disturbance in the force you get when you are coming down with something. 

7 days ago
1/2/15

Often now that I have kids 

7 days ago
1/1/01
Junnk - 

Often now that I have kids 

schools are a petri dish of germs