OtherGround Forums Ever have fear of being physically old?

7 days ago
6/26/06

I mean I think about death and all that all the time.  We all do.   And a lot of us talk health and fitness and longevity. 

Was watching Johnny Carson just now and Bette Davis was on as a guest and I'm guessing she died within a year or two after.  Got me looking up Hollywood people from the golden era who are still alive or died in last few years and seeing the pics from their gorgeous younger years to the decrepit looking late years just hit me tonight.   I mean I'm 45 next month and I act like a damn teenage idiot and I don't feel old.   I have a bit less hair in front and no wrinkles.  I don't wanna be an old ass no collagen in skin looking old crypt keeper.  

7 days ago
6/26/06

7 days ago
2/5/06

Yes I think about this a lot. Trying to stay present helps because in 20 years you'll wish you were 45 

7 days ago
5/22/05

Mental decline is scarier imho

7 days ago
6/29/02

I'm 47.  From age 30 I had a lot of car accident related health problems combined with depression/pain etc all through until I was 45.  I felt weak and old and miserable.  But roughly 2 years ago all the physical and a lot of the brain stuff cleared up.  Now I believe I feel like the average 50 year old with slightly less endurance because I was in bed a lot for 10 years.  But I'm rebuilding my heart and lungs now.

If you exercise and are active (mow your own lawn) you won't feel that much different for most of your life.  When I was a PT all my coworkers talked about how bad it is going to suck until I pointed out we only see the exceptions at work.  The rule is most people feel pretty much the same until they hit their 80s.  Strength peaks between ge 35 and 55 - usually staying the same the entire time.

The only thing that changes is some arthritis.  Every time you go to the doctor they are going to tell you your heart/prostate/lungs/joints are in desperate need of all kinds of tests.  But in the end, most people are fine and there was nothing wrong to begin with.

Dying is the only thing I fear.  The 6 or so years you decline.  The series of strokes over a year that kill you in the end.  Because of the afforementioned medical tests, mosts people don't just infarct, pass out, and die.

7 days ago
11/16/08

Better than a fear of not living long enough to be physically old.

7 days ago
3/23/12

Turned 40 recently and all of the sudden I just feel old, like my body is slowing down.  It’s scary, and worsening my already pretty overwhelming depression.  I have little hope for the future, no prospects, far more debt than I should.  I hope the spring can revive me, because I feel pretty close to the end. 

7 days ago
6/26/06

I wonder if it's not as horrifying cause you're seeing yourself every day and everyone you know Is aging 

but are we really gonna be senior citizen old ass looking?  Let's not 

7 days ago
3/12/07

Somewhat. Knowing that I can't just do whatever I want physically is a reality now. I used to be able to just do anything and the consequences might be a day of soreness. Now, things hurt a lot longer. not being able to do it in the first place, that's a whole different mind fuck that I'm waiting to happen.

7 days ago
3/17/03
youarewhatiswrong - 

Turned 40 recently and all of the sudden I just feel old, like my body is slowing down.  It’s scary, and worsening my already pretty overwhelming depression.  I have little hope for the future, no prospects, far more debt than I should.  I hope the spring can revive me, because I feel pretty close to the end. 

95% of this is depression, not being fucking 40 years old, dude.

Are you working out 3-4x a week, eating healthily, sleeping well, and abstaining from regular alcohol/weed usage?
7 days ago
10/22/14

I don't fear being old and I think all those problems you are speaking of are to be celebrated. If you get to be so old everything on you is broken thats fucking amazing, you made it you lived longer than most men do. Most men will have heart attacks or strokes and die before they reach the age where they break down to that level. 

My dad died at 50 looking like he was still 35. I don't think that's a good thing. I'm sure he would have rather had another 30-40 years and dealt with the deteriating health.

7 days ago
5/2/02

I’m about to turn 46 and just this year my body has been seriously breaking down.  Like all my joints just started breaking down at once.  Never have I felt so old.  Even two years ago I felt like I could get back into health.  Now I just hope I can keep from getting worse.  

Edited: 7 days ago
4/25/13

7 days ago
3/19/04

Yes. I’m a physically active person (weights, running, bjj) and the idea of being far off my prime is awful to me.

7 days ago
3/15/06
Girly - 

I wonder if it's not as horrifying cause you're seeing yourself every day and everyone you know Is aging 

but are we really gonna be senior citizen old ass looking?  Let's not 

This is part of it. I know I am old but don't think I look that way every day. But every time I see a pic of a high school classmate that I haven't seen in years, like on FB after a reunion, I'm thinking holy shit they look old.
Edited: 7 days ago
11/14/11

i have never feared since i am now old almost 60.  i could feel my body start to slow down in mid 40's due to hard use.  to fear something that is inevitable is a waste of time and energy.  you end up get less joy from something due to the worry.

7 days ago
9/4/11

I'm nearly 37, and I feel better than I ever have. I may not be as physically fit as I was, but 37 me would destroy 25 me both physically and mentally.

Men get better with age. Women on the other hand.....

7 days ago
1/1/01
Askren never lost -

I'm nearly 37, and I feel better than I ever have. I may not be as physically fit as I was, but 37 me would destroy 25 me both physically and mentally.

Men get better with age. Women on the other hand.....

I think OP means closer to 80 than 40.

7 days ago
5/24/18

I don’t fear it only because both my grandfathers are still alive at 94 years old and they are both still living reasonably healthy, happy lives. No major medical problems, 1 is living independently in his longtime home, 1 recently moved to a facility that’s mostly independent. Basically, condo living where they supply 2 meals a day if desired at the community center. I am hoping it’s mostly genetic

7 days ago
9/26/10

not until now. thanks alot, fucko

7 days ago
9/18/12

Yeah I do. It’s part of the reason I started lifting late in life at 38.

7 days ago
3/23/12
Onikage -
youarewhatiswrong - 

95% of this is depression, not being fucking 40 years old, dude.

Are you working out 3-4x a week, eating healthily, sleeping well, and abstaining from regular alcohol/weed usage?

I could work out more but I do stay active. Shoulder pain is keeping me from doing more.  I have a job that keeps me fairly physically active.  I do need to get back under the bar more though.  

Diet is a B-.  I eat carry out too often but don’t eat junk.  Try to keep it proteins and fats mostly, with oatmeal, chia seeds and brown rice and shit for my carb and fiber sources.  Chocolate peanut butter granola cereal gets me sometimes.

i usually get around 6 hours of sleep a night.  

I’m pretty sure I’m just a defective unit.  

7 days ago
12/15/02

yes. started hormone therapy bout 8 months ago and i fell about as good as i ever have. i also quit drinking alcohol which had a lot to do with it.

most ppl guess me to be a lot younger than i am but thats not really my primary concern.

7 days ago
6/14/15

All you guys complaining of feeling like shit in your 40s need to seriously look at some HRT. Ill be 49 this year and aside from putting on some serious poundage from 2 years of inactivity from surgeries I feel great. Im on my way back to 200 lbs and everything about my life is fucking grand.

7 days ago
12/2/09

I’ve worked with elderly people as customers and clients for over 10 years. I’ve listened to so many of their stories and heard about their ailments. 
I used to be afraid of being physically old because I too LOVE being active and the thought of not being able to lift or spar or run is terrifying. 
After hearing so many stories, though, I’m now more grateful and aware of how great the gift of mobility is that I do my best to be active every day. 
The one thing I’ve taken from many of my clients is that you definitely don’t have to be old of mind. I’ve known 90 year olds who still hit the gym before their day starts. 
Being old truly is in the mind....but we should definitely treat our bodies with respect and gratitude while we have full use of our muscles. It’s never too late to start stretching, walking, running, or lifting.