OtherGround Forums Ex Slaves talk about slavery

8/28/19 9:58 PM
1/1/01

t

8/28/19 10:08 PM
11/20/09
David@accu - 

Fountain Hughes said his Grandfather belonged to Thomas Jefferson. Something about that sentence just speaks to me differently than everything else. It's that word "belonged". The way he says it with such a tone of commonality is so disturbing. It's hard to imagine today but that was life for him. Wow....

Exactly.  You hit the nail on the head because when I read that, it stood out to me and I feel like presidents who owned slaves don't get talked about owning slaves very much.  I went ahead and googled presidents who owned slaves after I read that.

8/28/19 10:10 PM
8/5/17

There are some great, noteworthy, and even profound observations by people in this so-far short thread. What the former slaves and children of slaves did in the USA was outstanding. It is something that will be captured in sort of a time box and studied for ages.

Cut to today - we're going in the wrong direction as humans. We pick our side and don't use foresight to see where our "any means necessary" choices will land us. There is a time and place for everything, but we no longer need "any means necessary" in the USA.

We are in the perfect time for moderates, but they are nowhere to be found in any meaningful positions of power. So I guess we will flip between extremes until the bubble bursts. Most of us won't be around to see that happen. We're entering the middle stages of a tug-of-war. Even the winning team will fall on their asses.

Good luck to the children.

8/28/19 11:00 PM
12/10/18
Kip Kinkle -
LieDetector -
Bukabuki -

Go to Africa and speak to modern day slaves.

Lol Why should we ignore history? 

You seem like a dedicated whataboutist

Yeah, I almost forgot about slavery until this thread.  Totally ignored subject...

Lol. I wasn't talking to you. Yet you still felt a need to chime in. Why is that I wonder?

8/28/19 11:25 PM
4/9/19
HoneyGlazedJinx -

Imagine being a black man who could never even pick up a book. Suddenly you are free, but you’re uneducated and nobody will hire you for any good jobs because you’re black. And it’s near impossible to get an education.

And then you have white people chastising you to pick yourself up from your bootstraps and do something with your life. 

Unreal, the psychopathy that runs rampant in some people, so deep that they cannot see the deep scars their ancestors caused over generations. 

First of all, a person is not responsible for his ancestors actions.

2nd, only a small percentage of whites owned slaves.  My ancestors never owned slaves.   Most white people's ancestors didn't own slaves.

8/29/19 12:19 AM
5/1/16
Dirtywhiteboy -
ChucksChin - 
Dirtywhiteboy -

These are great. A few months ago I stumbled on a recording of a civil war soldier and it was pretty fucking fascinating listenng to him talk about the war.  

Did it happen to be the Confederate soldier talking about States Rights  ?

I believe so,  really the only specific thing I remember is him talking about being captured and doing time in the prison in Md.  and seeing Lincoln iirc.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LL0jeC9K9qA

8/29/19 12:24 AM
9/12/12
David@accu -

Fountain Hughes said his Grandfather belonged to Thomas Jefferson. Something about that sentence just speaks to me differently than everything else. It's that word "belonged". The way he says it with such a tone of commonality is so disturbing. It's hard to imagine today but that was life for him. Wow....

100%. I'm so glad the time in which we live perpetuates a cultural belief that turns my stomach hearing something like this. "I belonged to" is such a horrible sentence.  It is good to study history if only to remember the wicked things, and ensure the memory haunts us to never accept such a reality again. 

8/29/19 12:27 AM
8/9/16

Fo laytah... 

8/29/19 12:27 AM
1/20/11

In

8/29/19 12:44 AM
1/1/01

Sub

8/29/19 12:49 AM
5/20/19
JayMan -
HoneyGlazedJinx -

Imagine being a black man who could never even pick up a book. Suddenly you are free, but you’re uneducated and nobody will hire you for any good jobs because you’re black. And it’s near impossible to get an education.

And then you have white people chastising you to pick yourself up from your bootstraps and do something with your life. 

Unreal, the psychopathy that runs rampant in some people, so deep that they cannot see the deep scars their ancestors caused over generations. 

2nd, only a small percentage of whites owned slaves.  My ancestors never owned slaves.   Most white people's ancestors didn't own slaves.

Myth #3: Only a small percentage of Southerners owned slaves.

Closely related to Myth #2, the idea that the vast majority of Confederate soldiers were men of modest means rather than large plantation owners is usually used to reinforce the contention that the South wouldn’t have gone to war to protect slavery. The 1860 census shows that in the states that would soon secede from the Union, an average of more than 32 percent of white families owned slaves. Some states had far more slave owners (46 percent in South Carolina, 49 percent in Mississippi) while some had far less (20 percent in Arkansas).

source: History.,com

Edited: 8/29/19 1:36 AM
5/20/19
JayMan -
HoneyGlazedJinx -

Also nobody expects you to accept blame for something from 150 years ago but to have a callous ass attitude like you and so many white people I know, that’s what pisses people off. 

If white people like you said “man slavery was fucked up and it’s sad what happened.” Instead you’re like “black people need to get over it and my family didn’t have shit to do with it.”

Of course every white Person didn’t have anything to do with it. It’s always the  same story and the same callous psychopath responses!

As an American I had nothing to do with the bombing of Hiroshima yet I wouldn’t be all “haha fuckin Japs need to stop being sad about it.” 

I visited the internment camp at Manzanar last year and it was a sad Experience and I reflected on how fucked up Nationalism can be and how people groups can dehumanize other people groups. Nothing has changed. White people Re still laughing haha at the plight of the people they dehumanized. At least if you had a moment  of solemn reflection but most of you can’t even manage to squeeze that out of your black hearts. 

8/29/19 2:56 AM
5/4/10
HoneyGlazedJinx -
JayMan -
HoneyGlazedJinx -

Also nobody expects you to accept blame for something from 150 years ago but to have a callous ass attitude like you and so many white people I know, that’s what pisses people off. 

If white people like you said “man slavery was fucked up and it’s sad what happened.” Instead you’re like “black people need to get over it and my family didn’t have shit to do with it.”

Of course every white Person didn’t have anything to do with it. It’s always the  same story and the same callous psychopath responses!

As an American I had nothing to do with the bombing of Hiroshima yet I wouldn’t be all “haha fuckin Japs need to stop being sad about it.” 

I visited the internment camp at Manzanar last year and it was a sad Experience and I reflected on how fucked up Nationalism can be and how people groups can dehumanize other people groups. Nothing has changed. White people Re still laughing haha at the plight of the people they dehumanized. At least if you had a moment  of solemn reflection but most of you can’t even manage to squeeze that out of your black hearts. 

The words he said and the words you attempted to insert into his mouth were not even remotely similar.

8/29/19 3:41 AM
5/20/19
ghostboner -
HoneyGlazedJinx -
JayMan -
HoneyGlazedJinx -

The words he said and the words you attempted to insert into his mouth were not even remotely similar.

You have to catch the message in the undertones. 

• My family didnt own slaves = I’m not responsible so why should I feel bad.
  • Even if they did own slaves a person shouldn’t be responsible for the sins of the father = I refuse to accept that the racism of my grandparents fucked up an entire culture. 

Nobody has to apologize and nobody has to feel responsible, but to act like a great injustice hasn’t been done to blacks, native Americans, etc. is to mock anyone who has a shitty life now because of wrongs of the past. 

My dad was Native American and dealt with some shitty racism in the 1960s in Texas. He could not even eat in the very diner where he worked. They only allowed whites. Blacks, Mexicans and Native Americans had to order their food out of a little window in the back. 

To act like this shit is in the distant past is ridiculous. There are a lot of white grandpas out there that were racist shitheads in the 60s. They never apologized for shit. They just tried to pretend they weren’t assholes and went on living the good life.

Fuck em all. 

8/29/19 3:51 AM
2/20/09
HoneyGlazedJinx -
ghostboner -
HoneyGlazedJinx -
JayMan -
HoneyGlazedJinx -

• Even if they did own slaves a person shouldn’t be responsible for the sins of the father = I refuse to accept that the racism of my grandparents fucked up an entire culture. 

Nobody has to apologize and nobody has to feel responsible, but to act like a great injustice hasn’t been done to blacks, native Americans, etc. is to mock anyone who has a shitty life now because of wrongs of the past. 

My dad was Native American and dealt with some shitty racism in the 1960s in Texas. He could not even eat in the very diner where he worked. They only allowed whites. Blacks, Mexicans and Native Americans had to order their food out of a little window in the back. 

To act like this shit is in the distant past is ridiculous. There are a lot of white grandpas out there that were racist shitheads in the 60s. They never apologized for shit. They just tried to pretend they weren’t assholes and went on living the good life.

Fuck em all. 

So your interpreting what someone else is thinking and saying?  That’s what you’re saying right?

8/29/19 4:03 AM
5/20/19
donkypunch55 -
HoneyGlazedJinx -
ghostboner -
HoneyGlazedJinx -
JayMan -
HoneyGlazedJinx -

Fuck em all. 

So your interpreting what someone else is thinking and saying?  That’s what you’re saying right?

Most white people I know say that slavery ended in the 1800s and act like there wasn’t some horrific shit going on in the 60s. 

Think about it.

Blacks, Mexicans, Native Americans, Asians have only been seen as equal to whites since the 1970s. That means that before 1970, most whites saw these people as second class citizens.

So you could say “well my family didn’t own slaves” yeah maybe. But I guarantee that your parents or your grandparents ate at Sambos where there was a “No Blacks or Mexicans” sign out front and they happily ate there without any thought whatsoever that it was wrong. Eating and patronizing a restaurant where racist shit takes place is just as bad as being a KKK member yourself. Most, if not all of you, have grandparents that were racist as fuck. 

Now am I saying apologize for your grandpa and grandmas reprehensible behavior? No!

What I’m saying is to understand why people of color are pissed off. Quit saying shit like “slavery was in the distant past” when most blacks couldn’t eat in white restaurants just 50 years ago. 

Does that give blacks the right to be racist fucks, hell no. Two wrongs don’t make a right. But all I see constantly are white jokers who think that blacks and Mexicans and natives don’t have a right to be just a little bit angry. 

8/29/19 4:59 AM
3/7/07

Really good points from a different perspective. ^ but your last sentence, does that apply to the youth. Does the youth population have a “right”to be mad? They haven’t lived what you described.

8/29/19 5:42 AM
1/1/01

In

8/29/19 5:46 AM
3/29/13
HoneyGlazedJinx -
JayMan -
HoneyGlazedJinx -

Why the fuck would you be sad about bombing japs, look up the shit they did, they deserved every single inch of destruction they got

8/29/19 5:51 AM
6/13/07
Bukabuki - 

Go to Africa and speak to modern day slaves.

Or Brazil.
8/29/19 7:36 AM
6/23/09

Sub

8/29/19 8:04 AM
11/23/07

in

8/29/19 8:19 AM
2/2/15

"What I’m saying is to understand why people of color are pissed off"

You also need to understand that the longer they stay pissed off the longer it's going to take to repair the cultural damage as it is often times used an as excuse to not improve anything. There needs to be a massive culture shift in much of the black American community, and there are many black people who say this. Staying pissed off and blaming whitey for all your problem will get you nowhere until you do what needs to be done to make changes.

And that term "people of colour" is such a bullshit, divisive term, all it says is there are white people and everyone else who isn't white. It lumps groups in the conversation that have nothing to do with the conversation.

Shouldn't you also be including many modern day Africans in the category with modern American whites as well, since it was their ancestors who sold the slaves to whitey?

8/29/19 8:29 AM
1/2/15
HoneyGlazedJinx -
donkypunch55 -
HoneyGlazedJinx -
ghostboner -
HoneyGlazedJinx -
JayMan -
HoneyGlazedJinx -

Fuck em all. 

Most white people I know say that slavery ended in the 1800s and act like there wasn’t some horrific shit going on in the 60s. 

Think about it.

Blacks, Mexicans, Native Americans, Asians have only been seen as equal to whites since the 1970s. That means that before 1970, most whites saw these people as second class citizens.

So you could say “well my family didn’t own slaves” yeah maybe. But I guarantee that your parents or your grandparents ate at Sambos where there was a “No Blacks or Mexicans” sign out front and they happily ate there without any thought whatsoever that it was wrong. Eating and patronizing a restaurant where racist shit takes place is just as bad as being a KKK member yourself. Most, if not all of you, have grandparents that were racist as fuck. 

Now am I saying apologize for your grandpa and grandmas reprehensible behavior? No!

What I’m saying is to understand why people of color are pissed off. Quit saying shit like “slavery was in the distant past” when most blacks couldn’t eat in white restaurants just 50 years ago. 

Does that give blacks the right to be racist fucks, hell no. Two wrongs don’t make a right. But all I see constantly are white jokers who think that blacks and Mexicans and natives don’t have a right to be just a little bit angry. 

America is so racist that we elected a black an to the most powerful position 

Fucking white people!!!!

8/29/19 8:36 AM
1/1/01

In