OtherGround Forums Ex Slaves talk about slavery

Edited: 8/29/19 11:00 AM
5/1/16
Bilge Water -

"What I’m saying is to understand why people of color are pissed off"

You also need to understand that the longer they stay pissed off the longer it's going to take to repair the cultural damage as it is often times used an as excuse to not improve anything. There needs to be a massive culture shift in much of the black American community, and there are many black people who say this. Staying pissed off and blaming whitey for all your problem will get you nowhere until you do what needs to be done to make changes.

And that term "people of colour" is such a bullshit, divisive term, all it says is there are white people and everyone else who isn't white. It lumps groups in the conversation that have nothing to do with the conversation.

Shouldn't you also be including many modern day Africans in the category with modern American whites as well, since it was their ancestors who sold the slaves to whitey?

That doesn’t fit in with identity politics. It would take an honest conversation . Where all groups would have to admit fault . It’s easier to just call someone racist . To be clear , I’m not saying black people are at fault for slavery. I’m referring to current race relations 

8/29/19 11:52 AM
4/24/07
D241 - 
David@accu - 

Fountain Hughes said his Grandfather belonged to Thomas Jefferson. Something about that sentence just speaks to me differently than everything else. It's that word "belonged". The way he says it with such a tone of commonality is so disturbing. It's hard to imagine today but that was life for him. Wow....

Exactly.  You hit the nail on the head because when I read that, it stood out to me and I feel like presidents who owned slaves don't get talked about owning slaves very much.  I went ahead and googled presidents who owned slaves after I read that.

That's not what I was really talking about at all. My point had nothing to do with who had slaves but how we describe people who had slaves. We have softened what really took place. I even did it in this very post. I said people "had" slaves. That really doesn't paint the same picture as Fountain Hughes saying his grandfather belonged to Jefferson. That might actually be the first time I have ever heard a person describe another person as property in such a powerful yet unintentional way. It bothers me that Hughes talks about his grandfather in a way that he resembles some sort of inanimate object or tool. This was his family. It's just disgusting to it's core and to think the practice of slavery exists today in any form makes me sick.

8/29/19 11:54 AM
5/20/19

There’s a solution somewhere in everything all of you are saying. It involves a couple of things 

1. All the old white racist families like the Clintons need to lose their power by basically dying. You ever see a dysfunctional family and then the mother dies and then the family can kind of get along without the toxic motherhead? There are too many racist 60s old timey white dudes still holding on. They need to die so the new generation can take over. 

2. Same goes the other way. All the people who experienced true racism in the 60s, those people need to die too. Because they are holding onto resentment and passing it on. 

3. People just need to understand that these wounds are not as old as they perceive and be patient while these social issues die off. 

8/29/19 12:00 PM
4/22/17

Most people think of this topic as if it's in the past. There are more slaves on earth today than there have been at any point in history. I think the biggest failure of the western world is that we don't do more to address it. 

8/29/19 12:07 PM
10/4/18
HoneyGlazedJinx - 

There’s a solution somewhere in everything all of you are saying. It involves a couple of things 

1. All the old white racist families like the Clintons need to lose their power by basically dying. You ever see a dysfunctional family and then the mother dies and then the family can kind of get along without the toxic motherhead? There are too many racist 60s old timey white dudes still holding on. They need to die so the new generation can take over. 

2. Same goes the other way. All the people who experienced true racism in the 60s, those people need to die too. Because they are holding onto resentment and passing it on. 

3. People just need to understand that these wounds are not as old as they perceive and be patient while these social issues die off. 

I grew up in a predominantly Mexican neighborhood (Sylmar/San Fernando) and moved to a predominantly white neighborhood as a teen. The most racist people I have ever met were the Mexicans I grew up with. They disliked blacks and had all kinds of names for them and didn't even try to hide their racism. There was almost no talk about racism in the white neighborhood I moved to. Nobody talked about the black kids or families when they "left the room". They were part of our neighborhood. When I was in Sylmar, holy shit, if you were black and left the room, the shit that would be said was fucken horrible.
8/29/19 12:11 PM
11/28/03

vote up TheRoguewrestler

8/29/19 12:36 PM
5/20/19
TheRoguewrestler -
HoneyGlazedJinx - 

I grew up in a predominantly Mexican neighborhood (Sylmar/San Fernando) and moved to a predominantly white neighborhood as a teen. The most racist people I have ever met were the Mexicans I grew up with. They disliked blacks and had all kinds of names for them and didn't even try to hide their racism. There was almost no talk about racism in the white neighborhood I moved to. Nobody talked about the black kids or families when they "left the room". They were part of our neighborhood. When I was in Sylmar, holy shit, if you were black and left the room, the shit that would be said was fucken horrible.

Ah the old “Mexicans are more racist than white people” argument. I don’t disagree with you but how does this change what I just said? 

The majority of large business and real estate owners are white. They have the power to impact people’s lives.

If Jose the Gardener hates Haitians then he can’t do anything about it. He is powerless. 

If Gunther the Real Estate mogul hates Haitians he can make it impossible to rent an apartment.

Both forms of racism are equally reprehensible but you have to understand that it’s about a power struggle. What do you think Make America Great is about? You think it’s about fixing our national parks and creating better roadways? No. It’s about preserving the white way of life. 

Is that a bad thing? It depends on whether you’re white or not. I wouldn’t want to give up power either. 

These are the conversations that need to be had. Sadly people bury their heads in the sand.

8/29/19 12:43 PM
4/11/08
HoneyGlazedJinx - 
JayMan -
HoneyGlazedJinx -

Imagine being a black man who could never even pick up a book. Suddenly you are free, but you’re uneducated and nobody will hire you for any good jobs because you’re black. And it’s near impossible to get an education.

And then you have white people chastising you to pick yourself up from your bootstraps and do something with your life. 

Unreal, the psychopathy that runs rampant in some people, so deep that they cannot see the deep scars their ancestors caused over generations. 

First of all, a person is not responsible for his ancestors actions.

2nd, only a small percentage of whites owned slaves.  My ancestors never owned slaves.   Most white people's ancestors didn't own slaves.

Also nobody expects you to accept blame for something from 150 years ago but to have a callous ass attitude like you and so many white people I know, that’s what pisses people off. 

If white people like you said “man slavery was fucked up and it’s sad what happened.” Instead you’re like “black people need to get over it and my family didn’t have shit to do with it.”

Of course every white Person didn’t have anything to do with it. It’s always the  same story and the same callous psychopath responses!

As an American I had nothing to do with the bombing of Hiroshima yet I wouldn’t be all “haha fuckin Japs need to stop being sad about it.” 

I visited the internment camp at Manzanar last year and it was a sad Experience and I reflected on how fucked up Nationalism can be and how people groups can dehumanize other people groups. Nothing has changed. White people Re still laughing haha at the plight of the people they dehumanized. At least if you had a moment  of solemn reflection but most of you can’t even manage to squeeze that out of your black hearts. 

"As an American I had nothing to do with the bombing of Hiroshima yet I wouldn’t be all “haha fuckin Japs need to stop being sad about it.”

Er.....the "Japs" don't care about it at all these days. Their society recovered masterfully, and their concern was to be the best they can be. Sure. It's a cultural thing with them. But the point remains.

You don't see the Japanese going "but but, what about Hiroshima! That's why I'm on food stamps!"

WW2 was a lot more recent than slavery, BTW.

The reason why African Americans still haven't caught up is because white politicians have incentivised helplessness.
8/29/19 12:46 PM
1/2/15
HoneyGlazedJinx -
TheRoguewrestler -
HoneyGlazedJinx - 

Ah the old “Mexicans are more racist than white people” argument. I don’t disagree with you but how does this change what I just said? 

The majority of large business and real estate owners are white. They have the power to impact people’s lives.

If Jose the Gardener hates Haitians then he can’t do anything about it. He is powerless. 

If Gunther the Real Estate mogul hates Haitians he can make it impossible to rent an apartment.

Both forms of racism are equally reprehensible but you have to understand that it’s about a power struggle. What do you think Make America Great is about? You think it’s about fixing our national parks and creating better roadways? No. It’s about preserving the white way of life. 

Is that a bad thing? It depends on whether you’re white or not. I wouldn’t want to give up power either. 

These are the conversations that need to be had. Sadly people bury their heads in the sand.

?

You probably live in a very white.place. 

Plenty of hispanic gangs actively target black people 

Go to any ghetto high school and you'll see Latino kids and black kid fighting each other

8/29/19 12:47 PM
10/4/18
HoneyGlazedJinx - 
TheRoguewrestler -
HoneyGlazedJinx - 

What you are talking about is "institutionalized" racism. Our country doesn't have an "institutionalized" racism problem anymore, or nothing like we did during slavery or the democratic Jim Crowe years. Our country and ALL countries have an individual racism issue that is purposely labeled as an institutional racism problem by liberals because to admit that it is an individual racism issue means that individuals need to be accountable and liberalism is against individualism and accountability.
Meaning, the racism that most people experience is by individuals that are racist and not an institution. So lets all talk about individual racists and we can all be on the same page. We all know someone that is racist. Hold them accountable. Don't tell me "white people" are racist because I can say "Mexicans are just as racist" and lump all Mexicans into the argument just like white people are. I'm tired about hearing about the "old white man" being racist. I know ALOT of old Mexicans and blacks that are openly racist.

How about we just hold the racist people accountable.
8/29/19 12:54 PM
5/20/19
TheRoguewrestler -
HoneyGlazedJinx - 
TheRoguewrestler -
HoneyGlazedJinx - 

What you are talking about is "institutionalized" racism. Our country doesn't have an "institutionalized" racism problem anymore, or nothing like we did during slavery or the democratic Jim Crowe years. Our country and ALL countries have an individual racism issue that is purposely labeled as an institutional racism problem by liberals because to admit that it is an individual racism issue means that individuals need to be accountable and liberalism is against individualism and accountability.
Meaning, the racism that most people experience is by individuals that are racist and not an institution. So lets all talk about individual racists and we can all be on the same page. We all know someone that is racist. Hold them accountable. Don't tell me "white people" are racist because I can say "Mexicans are just as racist" and lump all Mexicans into the argument just like white people are. I'm tired about hearing about the "old white man" being racist. I know ALOT of old Mexicans and blacks that are openly racist.

That’s fair and I like your idea. 

However the problem that I see is that most people that are racist don’t see themselves as racist. Who gets to decide when someone is racist or not. 

When my dad came to visit me at my home (in a mostly white area) several years before he passed away, he went to the wrong house. He was kind of looking around trying to find my house and the guy told him “Maybe in a couple lifetimes you’ll be able to afford a house in this neighborhood.”

Racist? Not Racist? Just an asshole? It’s hard to distinguish sometimes. I’m sorry but white people love to talk down to brown people. And I’ll take it a step further, lighter skinned Mexicans love to talk shit to darker skinned Mexicans. 

I’m sure there’s animosity between light skinned and dark skinned blacks as well. All of society worldwide is taught that the lighter you are, the Better you are. 

I’m not even sure anyone can even change that mindset at this point. Even Japanese look down on Chinese. 

Maybe that’s just how the world works and there’s no real solution. So why be mad at all? Just live your life and try to be nice to others. There’s no fixing people. 

8/29/19 12:56 PM
6/26/17

In for education 

Edited: 8/29/19 12:58 PM
1/1/01

8/29/19 1:24 PM
7/10/09

L8r

Edited: 8/29/19 1:49 PM
12/18/07
LieDetector -
Kip Kinkle -
LieDetector -
Bukabuki -

Go to Africa and speak to modern day slaves.

Lol Why should we ignore history? 

You seem like a dedicated whataboutist

Yeah, I almost forgot about slavery until this thread.  Totally ignored subject...

Lol. I wasn't talking to you. Yet you still felt a need to chime in. Why is that I wonder?

Because it's an open discussion on a public forum?  Were you under the impression that I hacked your PMs?

8/29/19 1:47 PM
6/22/03
TheRoguewrestler - 
HoneyGlazedJinx - 
TheRoguewrestler -
HoneyGlazedJinx - 

We still have lots of institutionalized racism. It's called affirmative action.
8/29/19 2:13 PM
1/1/01
HoneyGlazedJinx -

You are so enlightened.

8/29/19 5:30 PM
10/29/10

Q

8/29/19 5:51 PM
12/1/05
David@accu - 

Fountain Hughes said his Grandfather belonged to Thomas Jefferson. Something about that sentence just speaks to me differently than everything else. It's that word "belonged". The way he says it with such a tone of commonality is so disturbing. It's hard to imagine today but that was life for him. Wow....

Did you miss the ideo where the guy asked the woman who she belonged to and she named off some young kid in the family.

That's crazy, a grown woman belonging to a young kid.  i knew that was the case back then but it's crazy hearing someone from back then actually say it. There's a big difference in reading a history book, or being told about it in 7th grade or whatever, and hearing the actual people who lived it talk about it.

8/29/19 5:54 PM
9/10/18

It is amazing to me how strong spirited they are. To have endured the life they did but still push on. We get so crippled by the smallest things today. I guess some of us develop a weak mindset early on and let life break us.

8/29/19 6:43 PM
6/7/08

The Romans in northern Spain used spanish slaves to mine the mountains. When all of the resources were extracted they would place all of the slaves in the tunnels and collapse them on the Spaniards killing them all.

They don't whine about it. They just moved on.

8/29/19 6:52 PM
8/31/18
hermanitor -
HoneyGlazedJinx - 
JayMan -
HoneyGlazedJinx -

Imagine being a black man who could never even pick up a book. Suddenly you are free, but you’re uneducated and nobody will hire you for any good jobs because you’re black. And it’s near impossible to get an education.

And then you have white people chastising you to pick yourself up from your bootstraps and do something with your life. 

Unreal, the psychopathy that runs rampant in some people, so deep that they cannot see the deep scars their ancestors caused over generations. 

2nd, only a small percentage of whites owned slaves.  My ancestors never owned slaves.   Most white people's ancestors didn't own slaves.

Also nobody expects you to accept blame for something from 150 years ago but to have a callous ass attitude like you and so many white people I know, that’s what pisses people off. 

If white people like you said “man slavery was fucked up and it’s sad what happened.” Instead you’re like “black people need to get over it and my family didn’t have shit to do with it.”

Of course every white Person didn’t have anything to do with it. It’s always the  same story and the same callous psychopath responses!

As an American I had nothing to do with the bombing of Hiroshima yet I wouldn’t be all “haha fuckin Japs need to stop being sad about it.” 

I visited the internment camp at Manzanar last year and it was a sad Experience and I reflected on how fucked up Nationalism can be and how people groups can dehumanize other people groups. Nothing has changed. White people Re still laughing haha at the plight of the people they dehumanized. At least if you had a moment  of solemn reflection but most of you can’t even manage to squeeze that out of your black hearts. 

"As an American I had nothing to do with the bombing of Hiroshima yet I wouldn’t be all “haha fuckin Japs need to stop being sad about it.”

Er.....the "Japs" don't care about it at all these days. Their society recovered masterfully, and their concern was to be the best they can be. Sure. It's a cultural thing with them. But the point remains.

You don't see the Japanese going "but but, what about Hiroshima! That's why I'm on food stamps!"

The reason why African Americans still haven't caught up is because white politicians have incentivised helplessness.

Ww2 was more recent than slavery. But still predates the civil rights movement. 

So many bad points brought up by hyper sensitive folks

8/29/19 8:13 PM
4/9/10

Later 

8/29/19 8:46 PM
5/20/19
Mighty Quinn -
HoneyGlazedJinx -

You are so enlightened.

At least I care about these issues, unlike you and your people just waiting for the next dark skinned person to step on so you can feel mighty. 

8/29/19 8:49 PM
5/20/19
CobraKaiRep -
hermanitor -
HoneyGlazedJinx - 
JayMan -
HoneyGlazedJinx -

Ww2 was more recent than slavery. But still predates the civil rights movement. 

So many bad points brought up by hyper sensitive folks

Are the Jews hypersensitive for having a holocaust museum? Oh we should just bulldoze it for those sensitive fuckers. Bunch of crybabies. 

And we should knock down the 9/11 memorial too. Bunch of whiners crying about some injustice that happened 20 years ago. I mean come on! Stop being sad people! Get over it You firemen with health issues. Pick yourself up and get a job!

That’s how ridiculous you all sound!