OtherGround Forums Ex Slaves talk about slavery

8/29/19 8:49 PM
10/3/16

"Whiners" - the og

8/29/19 8:59 PM
1/27/15
HoneyGlazedJinx -

Imagine being a black man who could never even pick up a book. Suddenly you are free, but you’re uneducated and nobody will hire you for any good jobs because you’re black. And it’s near impossible to get an education.

And then you have white people chastising you to pick yourself up from your bootstraps and do something with your life. 

Unreal, the psychopathy that runs rampant in some people, so deep that they cannot see the deep scars their ancestors caused over generations. 

Yes that would be and was fucking awful not to mention lack of equal protection under the law, whether official or not. But you lose people with “your ancestors”. Many of our ancestors came to the US after the civil war

8/29/19 9:30 PM
5/25/06

In

8/29/19 11:16 PM
12/10/18
Kip Kinkle -
LieDetector -
Kip Kinkle -
LieDetector -
Bukabuki -

Go to Africa and speak to modern day slaves.

Lol Why should we ignore history? 

You seem like a dedicated whataboutist

Yeah, I almost forgot about slavery until this thread.  Totally ignored subject...

Lol. I wasn't talking to you. Yet you still felt a need to chime in. Why is that I wonder?

Because it's an open discussion on a public forum?  Were you under the impression that I hacked your PMs?

Alright, fair enough KK. 

Edited: 8/29/19 11:38 PM
1/9/19
Junnk -
HoneyGlazedJinx -
donkypunch55 -
HoneyGlazedJinx -
ghostboner -
HoneyGlazedJinx -
JayMan -
HoneyGlazedJinx -

Imagine being a black man who could never even pick up a book. Suddenly you are free, but you’re uneducated and nobody will hire you for any good jobs because you’re black. And it’s near impossible to get an education.

And then you have white people chastising you to pick yourself up from your bootstraps and do something with your life. 

Unreal, the psychopathy that runs rampant in some people, so deep that they cannot see the deep scars their ancestors caused over generations. 

First of all, a person is not responsible for his ancestors actions.

2nd, only a small percentage of whites owned slaves.  My ancestors never owned slaves.   Most white people's ancestors didn't own slaves.

Also nobody expects you to accept blame for something from 150 years ago but to have a callous ass attitude like you and so many white people I know, that’s what pisses people off. 

If white people like you said “man slavery was fucked up and it’s sad what happened.” Instead you’re like “black people need to get over it and my family didn’t have shit to do with it.”

Of course every white Person didn’t have anything to do with it. It’s always the  same story and the same callous psychopath responses!

As an American I had nothing to do with the bombing of Hiroshima yet I wouldn’t be all “haha fuckin Japs need to stop being sad about it.” 

I visited the internment camp at Manzanar last year and it was a sad Experience and I reflected on how fucked up Nationalism can be and how people groups can dehumanize other people groups. Nothing has changed. White people Re still laughing haha at the plight of the people they dehumanized. At least if you had a moment  of solemn reflection but most of you can’t even manage to squeeze that out of your black hearts. 

The words he said and the words you attempted to insert into his mouth were not even remotely similar.

You have to catch the message in the undertones. 

My family didnt own slaves = I’m not responsible so why should I feel bad.

Even if they did own slaves a person shouldn’t be responsible for the sins of the father = I refuse to accept that the racism of my grandparents fucked up an entire culture. 

Nobody has to apologize and nobody has to feel responsible, but to act like a great injustice hasn’t been done to blacks, native Americans, etc. is to mock anyone who has a shitty life now because of wrongs of the past. 

My dad was Native American and dealt with some shitty racism in the 1960s in Texas. He could not even eat in the very diner where he worked. They only allowed whites. Blacks, Mexicans and Native Americans had to order their food out of a little window in the back. 

To act like this shit is in the distant past is ridiculous. There are a lot of white grandpas out there that were racist shitheads in the 60s. They never apologized for shit. They just tried to pretend they weren’t assholes and went on living the good life.

Fuck em all. 

So your interpreting what someone else is thinking and saying?  That’s what you’re saying right?

Most white people I know say that slavery ended in the 1800s and act like there wasn’t some horrific shit going on in the 60s. 

Think about it.

Blacks, Mexicans, Native Americans, Asians have only been seen as equal to whites since the 1970s. That means that before 1970, most whites saw these people as second class citizens.

So you could say “well my family didn’t own slaves” yeah maybe. But I guarantee that your parents or your grandparents ate at Sambos where there was a “No Blacks or Mexicans” sign out front and they happily ate there without any thought whatsoever that it was wrong. Eating and patronizing a restaurant where racist shit takes place is just as bad as being a KKK member yourself. Most, if not all of you, have grandparents that were racist as fuck. 

Now am I saying apologize for your grandpa and grandmas reprehensible behavior? No!

What I’m saying is to understand why people of color are pissed off. Quit saying shit like “slavery was in the distant past” when most blacks couldn’t eat in white restaurants just 50 years ago. 

Does that give blacks the right to be racist fucks, hell no. Two wrongs don’t make a right. But all I see constantly are white jokers who think that blacks and Mexicans and natives don’t have a right to be just a little bit angry. 

America is so racist that we elected a black an to the most powerful position 

Fucking white people!!!!

yes and people are STILL complaining about it!  In Fact the current POTUS is one of the worst offenders!

8/29/19 11:41 PM
1/9/19
Malvert the Janitor -

When you do the math you realize this shit wasn’t that long ago. 

When you consider how relatively recent this all was it starts to clarify why some things are the way they are today...

yep and this is why the War Mongering and other Nonsense needs to stop because the chickens WILL come home to roost and the nonsense of today is just going to cause problems for future generations just like how the UK is suffering the chickens coming home to roost when the sun sat on the empire!

8/29/19 11:45 PM
1/9/19
David@accu -
D241 - 
David@accu - 

Fountain Hughes said his Grandfather belonged to Thomas Jefferson. Something about that sentence just speaks to me differently than everything else. It's that word "belonged". The way he says it with such a tone of commonality is so disturbing. It's hard to imagine today but that was life for him. Wow....

Exactly.  You hit the nail on the head because when I read that, it stood out to me and I feel like presidents who owned slaves don't get talked about owning slaves very much.  I went ahead and googled presidents who owned slaves after I read that.

That's not what I was really talking about at all. My point had nothing to do with who had slaves but how we describe people who had slaves. We have softened what really took place. I even did it in this very post. I said people "had" slaves. That really doesn't paint the same picture as Fountain Hughes saying his grandfather belonged to Jefferson. That might actually be the first time I have ever heard a person describe another person as property in such a powerful yet unintentional way. It bothers me that Hughes talks about his grandfather in a way that he resembles some sort of inanimate object or tool. This was his family. It's just disgusting to it's core and to think the practice of slavery exists today in any form makes me sick.

aren't young men and women who "knew what the signed up for" often described of "PROPERTY of the US Government"?

8/29/19 11:51 PM
1/1/01

For later

8/29/19 11:59 PM
1/1/01

Sub

8/30/19 12:00 AM
1/9/19
Akkadian88 -

Most people think of this topic as if it's in the past. There are more slaves on earth today than there have been at any point in history. I think the biggest failure of the western world is that we don't do more to address it. 

THIS!  Just like the current disgusting Epstein Scandal.  Certainly we should cultivate a respectful "learn from the past" manner of thinking and use that as inspiration to focus on ending the gross problem of present day slavery!  

8/30/19 12:00 AM
4/6/19

INteresting.

in a parallel way, I never really understood or fully considered the full impact of residential schools in canada on first nations kids, communities and culture, until I read first hand accounts from as recently as the 1970's in an exhibition at the museum of anthropology. 

8/30/19 12:46 AM
1/3/05
100kgkilla -

The Romans in northern Spain used spanish slaves to mine the mountains. When all of the resources were extracted they would place all of the slaves in the tunnels and collapse them on the Spaniards killing them all.

They don't whine about it. They just moved on.

well if there was still a roman emperor, maybe the spanish would lodge a complaint. What happened to that guy anyway?

Oh right spanish barbarians sacked rome and destroyed the empire. so I guess that's what you'd call moving on. 

8/30/19 10:27 AM
5/20/19
100kgkilla -

The Romans in northern Spain used spanish slaves to mine the mountains. When all of the resources were extracted they would place all of the slaves in the tunnels and collapse them on the Spaniards killing them all.

Lol at comparing something that happened in Roman times to current times. Do you think if that happened in 200 BC that maybe they were still pissed off in 100 BC but those slaves didn’t have any papyrus to write down their complaints? 

You going to be an eternal Shleprock your whole life or just on the OG?

8/30/19 10:31 AM
5/20/19
nulla -
100kgkilla -

well if there was still a roman emperor, maybe the spanish would lodge a complaint. What happened to that guy anyway?

Oh right spanish barbarians sacked rome and destroyed the empire. so I guess that's what you'd call moving on. 

Oh nulla stop you’re making too much sense for these people. They want to believe people never held grudges for more than a couple of days. 

8/30/19 11:16 AM
1/1/01
HoneyGlazedJinx - 
nulla -
100kgkilla -

Oh nulla stop you’re making too much sense for these people. They want to believe people never held grudges for more than a couple of days. 

Just look at palistians they are not at all angry at Israel the last 50 years or so. Jews are totally understanding of the holocaust at this point right? Sorry the reality is it takes people a lot of generations to move past things like this.
8/30/19 11:59 AM
6/7/08
HoneyGlazedJinx -
100kgkilla -

Lol at comparing something that happened in Roman times to current times. Do you think if that happened in 200 BC that maybe they were still pissed off in 100 BC but those slaves didn’t have any papyrus to write down their complaints? 

Well are there any former slaves still around in the US? Former slave owners? If not SHUT THE FUCK UP YOU WHINY BITCH.

Edited: 8/30/19 12:09 PM
5/20/19
100kgkilla -
HoneyGlazedJinx -
100kgkilla -

Well are there any former slaves still around in the US? Former slave owners? If not SHUT THE FUCK UP YOU WHINY BITCH.

No you dumb fuck but you do realize that black people couldnt go into a restaurant and eat a meal in 1965? They couldn’t ride in certain parts of the bus. They couldn’t get certain amenities. 

And it was all because of dumbfucks like you. 

Slavery didn’t just end and suddenly it was an equal land. It took 100 years just so black people could go into a Denny’s and not get kicked out. 

8/30/19 12:33 PM
3/13/17

For some reason this very interesting historical thread has triggered a few OGers.

Not surprising. 

Jinx coming with the truth. These inbred racists that congregate on the OG can't handle it for some reason.

8/30/19 12:53 PM
1/9/19
Pedro Navaja -

For some reason this very interesting historical thread has triggered a few OGers.

Not surprising. 

Jinx coming with the truth. These inbred racists that congregate on the OG can't handle it for some reason.

yep Jinx is really WINNING it in this thread!  

8/30/19 12:56 PM
12/1/05
HoneyGlazedJinx - 
100kgkilla -
HoneyGlazedJinx -
100kgkilla -

No you dumb fuck but you do realize that black people couldnt go into a restaurant and eat a meal in 1965? They couldn’t ride in certain parts of the bus. They couldn’t get certain amenities. 

Slavery didn’t just end and suddenly it was an equal land. It took 100 years just so black people could go into a Denny’s and not get kicked out. 

What about in 2019?

Cause that's the year I'm currently living in

8/30/19 12:58 PM
7/18/11
HoneyGlazedJinx -
100kgkilla -
HoneyGlazedJinx -
100kgkilla -

How things have turned around...now whites can’t go through a black neighborhood or anywhere else where more than a couple blacks are congregated without getting the shit beat out of them, or shot, raped, etc. 

8/30/19 1:05 PM
4/24/07
theraskal - 
David@accu -
D241 - 
David@accu - 

Fountain Hughes said his Grandfather belonged to Thomas Jefferson. Something about that sentence just speaks to me differently than everything else. It's that word "belonged". The way he says it with such a tone of commonality is so disturbing. It's hard to imagine today but that was life for him. Wow....

Exactly.  You hit the nail on the head because when I read that, it stood out to me and I feel like presidents who owned slaves don't get talked about owning slaves very much.  I went ahead and googled presidents who owned slaves after I read that.

That's not what I was really talking about at all. My point had nothing to do with who had slaves but how we describe people who had slaves. We have softened what really took place. I even did it in this very post. I said people "had" slaves. That really doesn't paint the same picture as Fountain Hughes saying his grandfather belonged to Jefferson. That might actually be the first time I have ever heard a person describe another person as property in such a powerful yet unintentional way. It bothers me that Hughes talks about his grandfather in a way that he resembles some sort of inanimate object or tool. This was his family. It's just disgusting to it's core and to think the practice of slavery exists today in any form makes me sick.

aren't young men and women who "knew what the signed up for" often described of "PROPERTY of the US Government"?

I'm just going to assume your trolling

8/30/19 2:03 PM
3/7/07

Pretty fascinating video. I didn’t even realize recordings like this were available. 

Found what appears to be the source material - a bunch of interviews. Harriet Smith was a good listen. 

loc.gov/collections/voices-remembering-slavery/

8/30/19 2:05 PM
8/20/16

Fun fact: people today are unhappy when we talk about reparations for blacks, but don't know that slave holders received reparations for releasing their slaves.

8/30/19 5:59 PM
1/22/19

It's a shame history has become so PC and basic bitched.  These recordings, same with the civil war veterans, provide such a different glimpse than the Hollywood version of 'the civil war was fought because the south wanted to keep slaves and were racist', and give us a way to learn and prevent similar stuff from happening again.  No war is fought over human rights, tho we always use that as an excuse for the blood shed.  I was listening to a cavalry man talk and he did not even know what states were, was just a poor old kid that was told he had to go fight.