OtherGround Forums Explain like Im 5 how RBG is replaced?

9/19/20 8:18 PM
1/1/01

The VP is President of the Senate.

Edited: 9/19/20 9:12 PM
2/9/09
OblongBox -

President nominates, then yo'ull see weeks of Senators grandstanding for their base, then finally they will vote

So if Senators vote against it, what happens next? How much of the house is Dem vs Rep? 

9/19/20 9:18 PM
2/9/12

This is why we voted for Trump. It would be Irresponsible for him not to select another supreme court judge before the end of the year. 

9/19/20 9:32 PM
12/17/06

The question is, will there be enough R votes in the senate to confirm? How many would be stubborn about it?

9/19/20 9:40 PM
7/14/10
Bend The Knee -
OblongBox -

President nominates, then yo'ull see weeks of Senators grandstanding for their base, then finally they will vote

So if Senators vote against it, what happens next? How much of the house is Dem vs Rep? 

They move onto the next nominee. Go through a hearing again, then vote again

Edited: 9/19/20 9:56 PM
7/14/10
Altofsky -

The question is, will there be enough R votes in the senate to confirm? How many would be stubborn about it?

There are 53 rep, 45 dems and 2 independents.

Thats a possible 55 YES votes

Susan Collins & Mukowski will more then likely vote NO as they said they won't vote until elections are over

53 now.

Reek Romney most likely will go NO so thats 52 votes.
Pat Toomey good chance will vote NO so thats 51

Lets split the 2 independents ( 1 yay 1 nay )

Thats 50. ( Pence would be the tie breaker )

So to get a yes on the confirm, they need to flip one or both of the independents to vote YAY, hope no more then the 4 rinos i listed vote NO. Possibly get a dem to vote YAY too

So it will be close

9/19/20 10:13 PM
8/23/11
King Trav -

From my limited knowledge of the going ons in American politics and your judicial system down there I’ve been able to ascertain that the president will appoint a judge and then people will accuse that judge of touching them inappropriately decades ago with little to no evidence. Then everyone will pick a side of believing the accuser or not believing them and argue like retards.  Then that person will become a judge.

It’s ingeniously simple really. 

They are justices but other than that 100% correct 

Edited: 9/19/20 10:32 PM
3/16/06
easedel -
Altofsky -

Susan Collins & Mukowski will more then likely vote NO as they said they won't vote until elections are over

53 now.

So to get a yes on the confirm, they need to flip one or both of the independents to vote YAY, hope no more then the 4 rinos i listed vote NO. Possibly get a dem to vote YAY too

So it will be close

Grassley is up in the air as well. The two independents are Bernie Sanders and Angus King of Maine; a former Democrat in the throes of Stage 4 TDS. Mitch needs to get a solid yes from Grassley before they even think about going down this road. 

9/19/20 10:36 PM
9/22/09
easedel -
Altofsky -

53 now.

So it will be close

A 1-1 Independent split is awfully optimistic. Who do you think is going to side with Trump? Angus King, who has already said we should wait until after the election to nominate a new Justice? Or maybe it'll be Bernie Sanders? 

9/19/20 10:39 PM
1/1/01
King Trav -

From my limited knowledge of the going ons in American politics and your judicial system down there I’ve been able to ascertain that the president will appoint a judge and then people will accuse that judge of touching them inappropriately decades ago with little to no evidence. Then everyone will pick a side of believing the accuser or not believing them and argue like retards.  Then that person will become a judge.

Haha... correct. The false accusers are the left fyi.

Edited: 9/20/20 9:53 AM
2/9/09
easedel -
Altofsky -

53 now.

So it will be close

Why would the Reps want to wait and gamble when they can get who they want in that seat? 

Also, lets say someone like Ted Cruz is nominated and is friends with some of these potenintal No's...could he flip them back to a yes?

9/20/20 10:00 AM
7/7/10

It’s going to be that Barrett chick 

9/20/20 10:23 AM
3/20/15
King Trav -

Pretty good Bud...

Edited: 9/20/20 10:30 AM
6/13/03
Stupidnewbie -
easedel -
Altofsky -

53 now.

So it will be close

Grassley is up in the air as well. The two independents are Bernie Sanders and Angus King of Maine; a former Democrat in the throes of Stage 4 TDS. Mitch needs to get a solid yes from Grassley before they even think about going down this road. 

No way Grassley votes against a jurist because of timing.

9/20/20 10:41 AM
1/6/20

Looks like it'll be close but they Republicans shoud go through with the process asap.  If it gets voted down then so be it, but thats part of the constitutional process. If the motion passes, then push this shit through.

Fuck the crybaby and violent leftists, they have no say in this matter.  Any pending riots would only backfire on them as they have been. 

Edited: 9/20/20 11:04 AM
4/7/10

I think the Republicans will have the votes. They can lose 3 senators and still approve the nominee.

Murkowski is a no. Collins is possibly a no. I would be surprised if anyone else voted no but they could afford another no vote. It would be republican career suicide to deny the conservatives a strong majority on the Supreme Court over timing. 

9/20/20 11:29 AM
7/5/13
Darup -

I think the Republicans will have the votes. They can lose 3 senators and still approve the nominee.

Murkowski is a no. Collins is possibly a no. I would be surprised if anyone else voted no but they could afford another no vote. It would be republican career suicide to deny the conservatives a strong majority on the Supreme Court over timing. 

Romney will for sure vote no

9/20/20 1:05 PM
9/22/09
Darup -

"Career suicide" really depends. Murkowski and Romney will be fine. Collins and Gardner are both facing a tough race in blue states. For them, voting in favor to replace RBG might very well lose them the election. 

9/20/20 1:43 PM
11/30/07

Trump picks ACB. 

9/20/20 1:45 PM
4/21/09
King Trav -

First post

9/20/20 2:01 PM
9/22/16
Collins and Murkowsky are no votes.

Collins is a fucking piece of shit. She's getting trounced in her re-election campaign, and is going to lose. Biden supporters that weren't involved six years ago are turning up for her opponent, and she has no chance of winning. But she's willing to throw a fucking Supreme Court seat under the bus to try and win re-election in the Senate.

You're going to lose, Senator Collins. Do the right thing on you way out the door, and help get this nominee through. 25 fucking years in the Senate, and she's going to be remembered as a turncoat RINO piece of shit.
9/21/20 7:59 AM
3/2/09
easedel -
MPA -
Bend The Knee -

What steps have to happened inorder for someone to replace her? Can it happen before 2021?

Literally there are only two Constituional steps:  The President Nominates, and the Senate votes on it. 

But because it is political they will make the person go through an "interview" process with the some of the Senators. Then there will be an offical hearing, where the Judicial committee will vote. If that works, then it goes to the full Senate.

That process can take six weeks to three months. 

6 weeks? Nah even sooner then that.

When was the last time that happened? The 1930's?

10/26/20 9:31 PM
7/14/10
easedel -
Altofsky -

53 now.

So it will be close

Had to bump this.

Not surprised to see Collins go NAY.

Surprised Mukowski went YAY

Suprised BOTH independents went YAY along with Romney & Toomey

Collins is pretty much going to lose her relection now.

10/26/20 9:41 PM
9/22/16
AnthonyWeiner - Collins and Murkowsky are no votes.

Collins is a fucking piece of shit. She's getting trounced in her re-election campaign, and is going to lose. Biden supporters that weren't involved six years ago are turning up for her opponent, and she has no chance of winning. But she's willing to throw a fucking Supreme Court seat under the bus to try and win re-election in the Senate.

You're going to lose, Senator Collins. Do the right thing on you way out the door, and help get this nominee through. 25 fucking years in the Senate, and she's going to be remembered as a turncoat RINO piece of shit.

I was wrong about Murkowski, but 100 percent right about Susan Collins.