OtherGround Forums External Hardrive Rescue?

11 days ago
3/8/15

Does anyone know where I can bring my external Hardrive to possible get everything rescued off of it? Last night it starting to say corrupt when I plug it in. I really dont want to lose everything if possible.

11 days ago
2/2/12

Did you think you were being V& and started to wipe your hard drives then stopped after you realized the cops were not there for you?

11 days ago
3/8/15
Happiness Bunny -

Did you think you were being V& and started to wipe your hard drives then stopped after you realized the cops were not there for you?

Ha no didnt iniate anything with the drive. I was actually watching a movie on my TV with it and my son pulled it out of the TV midway through a movie. Havent been able to get it to read since.

11 days ago
7/14/16

Years ago I was able to save about 90% from a hard drive. It was on sister in laws comp. It was literally every single picture she had of her children for their entire lives about to be lost. I pulled the drive, dropped it in one of those "external hard drive kits" and then plugged it into another comp via USB. From there I ran several different programs recommended by the OG.

It was a long time ago under my old account, but I made a thread asking for similar advice. A member here claimed to do cyber forensics for LE or some shit. I used the 2 programs he mentioned (downloaded of Kazaa or Limewire with cracked reg keys lol) but for the life of me I forget the names.

In the end, we got most of the shit off of it. There were a handful of "corrupt" files that wouldn't open though, but was well worth it.

11 days ago
11/25/10

We lost a drive at work and sent it to a company we found on line that specializes in data recovery, they recovered 100% of the files, well worth the few hundred bucks.

11 days ago
1/1/01

Local computer shop or geek squad no?

11 days ago
3/8/15
8flat -

We lost a drive at work and sent it to a company we found on line that specializes in data recovery, they recovered 100% of the files, well worth the few hundred bucks.

What company did you use? I am out in the middle of Missouri at Fort Lenardwood with not many businesses here. I may be able to drive to Springfield or st louis on weekend which are a couple hours away but I would be willing to send it.

10 days ago
2/17/11

If it's incredibly important then don't try to recover it yourself.  I wouldn't have a local shop look at it either.

Best way is to send it to a data recovery company (google them).

10 days ago
11/25/10
DEADLEAGUE -
8flat -

What company did you use? I am out in the middle of Missouri at Fort Lenardwood with not many businesses here. I may be able to drive to Springfield or st louis on weekend which are a couple hours away but I would be willing to send it.

I can't recall.  Do a little googling and check out forums to see which company specializing in this has good reviews, and send your drive to them.  We dealt with an outfit out of Cali IIRC, did it all by mail.

10 days ago
2/17/11
DEADLEAGUE -
8flat -

drivesaversdatarecovery.com

10 days ago
3/8/15
Aiderbooze -
DEADLEAGUE -
8flat -

Thanks! I'll check it out today!

10 days ago
3/8/15
Aiderbooze -
DEADLEAGUE -
8flat -

Damn they quoted between $700-$2800!

10 days ago
1/1/01

no!

plug it in and go to disk management . i fixed mine by right clicking on the disk that shows greyed out/lines running through it,and choosing "make partition active" .. if that doesnt work, follow some of these tips

try some of this
https://www.partitionwizard.com/partitionmagic/disk-structure-corrupt-unreadable.html

read this

https://www.wikihow.com/Fix-an-Unrecognized-USB-Disk

try some of this

https://www.thewindowsclub.com/troubleshooting-common-disk-management-error-messages

10 days ago
2/17/11
DEADLEAGUE -
Aiderbooze -
DEADLEAGUE -
8flat -

Damn they quoted between $700-$2800!

Yeah, if you absolutely need your data that's how it goes.  I haven't used a data recovery company in probably around 15 years, but even then it was between $400-$800 quoted.  A lot depends on your drive model/size and if they have plenty of spare parts to reconstruct it.

If the data isn't life or death, you can try an alternative...just keep in mind if something doesn't work, it usually just makes it worse.

10 days ago
9/30/10

Spinrite 

10 days ago
3/8/15

Thanks guys I will try some alternatives next. I appreciate the advice.

10 days ago
1/1/01
I had a drive go corrupt with a bunch of bs on it, mostly movies and TV shows. Researched data recovery programs, "borrowed" one that seemed highly rated. Took forever to scan the bad drive and I think I needed another drive to use as transfer space for the recovered files. It was a pain and took long so I can see charging a lot for that. Recovered like 90% of my files I think.
10 days ago
9/30/10

Get another drive at the ready to copy stuff over once the bad one is readable.