OtherGround Forums Fantastic free online course on Hebrew Bible

Edited: 14 days ago
3/28/02

Shaya Cohen, who is a professor at Harvard, has an excellent (free) online course on the Hebrew Bible.  I recently finished all the lectures and found it fascinating.  

http://courses.biblicalarchaeology.org/hebrewbible/

Professor Cohen is both a biblical scholar, a rabbi and also an orthodox jew.  And a master of his topic who is both humble and has a great sense of humor.

Yossarian - this course will likely answer many of your earlier questions about the Hebrew Bible from your awesome old thread!

His Bio:

He received his undergraduate degree from Yeshiva University, his M.A. from the Jewish Theological Seminary, and his Ph.D. in Ancient History, with distinction, from Columbia University in 1975.

Cohen is an ordained rabbi and for many years was the Dean of the Graduate School and Shenkman Professor of Jewish History at the Jewish Theological Seminary in New York City. Before arriving at Harvard in July 2001, he was for ten years the Samuel Ungerleider Professor of Judaic Studies and Professor of Religious Studies at Brown University.

The focus of Cohen's research is the boundary between Jews and gentiles and between Judaism and its surrounding culture. He is also a published authority on Jewish reactions to Hellenism and to Christianity.

14 days ago
6/27/14

14 days ago
5/30/05

OP is a disgrace to the good Jewish people of the world. 

14 days ago
4/27/05

In . Very interesting stuff

14 days ago
3/28/02
DSoV -

great episode

14 days ago
7/27/04

Will check it out.thanks op

14 days ago
2/14/14

Check out Mauro Biglino, the Vatican hired him to translate their oldest version of the bible in their archives.  Then fired him after he revealed the translation.

14 days ago
3/28/02

Another interesting book was just published and my copy arrived yesterday.

The Origin and Character of God by Theodore Lewis.

Ancient Israelite Religion through the Lens of Divinity

Theodore J. Lewis

• Provides a broad overview of the scholarship on the origins of God and the pervasive influence of divinity in ancient Israelite religion
  • Contextualizes the religion of ancient Israel within its broader ancient Middle Eastern context
  • Includes a thorough treatment of the iconography of divinity in ancient Israelite religion
  • Comprehensive study of the central concept of Judaism and Christianity
Edited: 14 days ago
3/28/02
EKPOGI -

Will check it out.thanks op

I was stunned by how much I learned from the course and Professor Cohen.....

He uses the book, How to Read the Bible, by a former Harvard professor, James Kugel.  Its a great book - he explains how the early believers interpreted key passages and how modern Bible scholars interpret the same passages.  Its all about the Hebrew Bible

14 days ago
3/28/02
Cotton -

OP is a disgrace to the good Jewish people of the world. 

Deep thoughts

14 days ago
11/15/04
EazyG -

Shaya Cohen, who is a professor at Harvard, has an excellent (free) online course on the Hebrew Bible.  I recently finished all the lectures and found it fascinating.  

Professor Cohen is both a biblical scholar, a rabbi and also an orthodox jew.  And a master of his topic who is both humble and has a great sense of humor.

Yossarian - this course will likely answer many of your earlier questions about the Hebrew Bible from your awesome old thread!

His Bio:

He received his undergraduate degree from Yeshiva University, his M.A. from the Jewish Theological Seminary, and his Ph.D. in Ancient History, with distinction, from Columbia University in 1975.

Cohen is an ordained rabbi and for many years was the Dean of the Graduate School and Shenkman Professor of Jewish History at the Jewish Theological Seminary in New York City. Before arriving at Harvard in July 2001, he was for ten years the Samuel Ungerleider Professor of Judaic Studies and Professor of Religious Studies at Brown University.

The focus of Cohen's research is the boundary between Jews and gentiles and between Judaism and its surrounding culture. He is also a published authority on Jewish reactions to Hellenism and to Christianity.

Thanks, OP. 

Seems odd someone would VD you for sharing this. 

14 days ago
3/28/02
LiveWire -
EazyG -

His Bio:

Thanks, OP. 

Seems odd someone would VD you for sharing this. 

No problem.

There are some wingnuts here. 

14 days ago
12/17/06

Question...

Is there more than one Yeshiva University? Or just the one in NY?

14 days ago
11/28/08
Altofsky -

Question...

Is there more than one Yeshiva University? Or just the one in NY?

Pretty sure just the one. It is pretty much the institution for Modern Orthodoxy. Rav Joseph Soloveitchik used to be the head of its seminary.

But, yeshiva is also just the word for a Jewish religious school so the name would appear in a bunch of other stuff.

14 days ago
1/1/01
MrHallorannWhatsinRoom237 -

Check out Mauro Biglino, the Vatican hired him to translate their oldest version of the bible in their archives.  Then fired him after he revealed the translation.

he's interesting but wrong. daniel not being eaten by lions, adam and eve in genesis, the prophet elijah and other prophets performing supernatural acts, jonah and the whale, job, etc. if you are talking about taking the bible literally which is what he does, you are saying all the supernatural acts as real. even if yawheh was a person instead of God, then the creator is still mentioned in the old testament. 

if you are talking about only the torah literally, then you have a talking reptile and God creating the earth. 

14 days ago
1/25/04

In the thread where you criticized Mormons for being cultists, you declared yourself to be religious, but you refused to expand on your religiosity.

Are you of the Jewish faith? 

14 days ago
3/28/02
yusul -
MrHallorannWhatsinRoom237 -

he's interesting but wrong. daniel not being eaten by lions, adam and eve in genesis, the prophet elijah and other prophets performing supernatural acts, jonah and the whale, job, etc. if you are talking about taking the bible literally which is what he does, you are saying all the supernatural acts as real. even if yawheh was a person instead of God, then the creator is still mentioned in the old testament. 

if you are talking about only the torah literally, then you have a talking reptile and God creating the earth. 

why did they fire him?

14 days ago
3/28/02
Jack Carter -

In the thread where you criticized Mormons for being cultists, you declared yourself to be religious, but you refused to expand on your religiosity.

I certainly do not believe most Mormons to be cultists.  There are certainly some on the fringe - the more fundamentalist type but then most religions have crazies on the fringe

14 days ago
3/28/02

For Christians I highly recommend this course - it gives you a deeper understanding of the Hebrew Scriptures which Jesus, Paul all studied and quote from.

For example in John 8 Jesus says "... before Abraham was, I am...."

A strong statement indeed but Jesus is also referring to Hebrew Scriptures, Exodus 3.

Exodus 3:14
God said to Moses, "I AM WHO I AM. This is what you are to say to the Israelites: 'I AM has sent me to you.'"

Jesus uses the "I am" that Yahweh spoke to Moses when Moses asked Yahweh who he was.  Jews would know what Jesus was referring to....

14 days ago
1/25/04
EazyG -
Jack Carter -

I certainly do not believe most Mormons to be cultists.  There are certainly some on the fringe - the more fundamentalist type but then most religions have crazies on the fringe

You stated that you were religious, but always avoid explaining. I’m just curious about your religiosity as you often criticize others for their religious beliefs. 

Why do you always avoid revealing your religious beliefs?

14 days ago
1/12/07
Jack Carter -
EazyG -
Jack Carter -

You stated that you were religious, but always avoid explaining. I’m just curious about your religiosity as you often criticize others for their religious beliefs. 

Scientologist. 

14 days ago
7/13/17

End of last year my family started following the torah.  I havent had too much time to study as much as my wife has so ill definitely check this out. Thanks reeeezy 

14 days ago
3/28/02
Jack Carter -
EazyG -
Jack Carter -

I like the religion of ancient Israel (post Babylonian Captivity) and also what Jesus taught.....

14 days ago
3/28/02
SpunQ -
Jack Carter -
EazyG -
Jack Carter -

Scientologist. 

I prefer Heaven's Gate

Edited: 13 days ago
9/22/20

I like the textual discipline of the Karaites. A lot of dogma perpetuates from tradition seemingly not aligned to the text and context is was written in. 

https://www.karaites.org/about-karaite-judaism.html