OtherGround Forums Firing someone at 3pm...

7/12/19 3:22 PM
1/1/01
If I'm self-employed can I fire myself and collect unemployment for a while?
7/12/19 3:26 PM
10/15/13
PeteyWheatstraw -
AnthonyWeiner - 
CuddleBug - 
AnthonyWeiner - 
UltimateKeyboardWarrior - 

Have HR there with you, it will help protect you if she sues.

This is a small business, I'm the HR.

BTW: I'm new here. Today is my 5th day on the job.

She is going to blame you. She had a job, then boom new guy comes in and fires her in the first week. Watch your car.

It gets better: Her mom works here.

I'm probably going to fire her, too. A couple weeks was the plan, but if she freaks out, I'll go full T-800 on the staff.

lol. Sounds like an awesome job that serves a great purpose while employing many valuable pillars of society.

Image result for gross waffle house

7/12/19 3:26 PM
7/24/16

OP's Monday morning.

7/12/19 3:32 PM
9/22/16
I just got called a "dumbass cracka."

Honestly, it went pretty well. I'm always pretty direct when it comes to terminations. Sit them down, inform them that it's over, discuss the end of their pay/benefits, give them the letter, have a nice life.

She went from 0-to-"Fuck you white boy" in around 4 seconds. She did some huffing, stomped a bit, said I didn't know what I was talking about, said she "has something for our asses", then said that the previous person in my position (another woman of color) had her back, and our corporate ownership would be hearing about our "racist asses". I only responded by reminding her that it would be inappropriate to ever return to our business, and that she would be receiving her final paycheck via certified mail.

That got me a "Fuck you, dumbass cracka" before she stomped out. She came back because she forgot to clock out, then ripped down the schedule and took it with her. I assume seeing herself being crossed out is some sort of illegal event, in her eyes.

Anyways, I've printed a new schedule and am changing the code for our door lock.

Nothing was broken, nothing was stolen, I consider it a successful termination.
7/12/19 3:32 PM
9/22/16
Phuckles - 

Do you have a meeting scheduled?

Also, this situation is hilarious. When I was younger working as a pizza delivery guy there was this guy who just didn't show up one day. We all figured he just up and quit and no call no showed. Two weeks later he walks in like nothing happened. He puts on his apron and fills out his time card and punches in. The boss comes upstairs and goes "what are you doing here, where have you been?" The dude looks our boss straight in the face and says "I went on vacation" and proceeded to make a pizza order that was up. Our boss, dumbfounded, walked back downstairs to his office. He was such a pussy that he let the guy finish out the day and told him he was fired over the phone after he finished his shift.

Basically, my boss was a pussy, you are being a pussy, OP. Go pull her aside and get her off premises. 

This is basically what happened, minus me being a pussy. I just didn't want to cover her shift, I've got better things to do.
7/12/19 3:36 PM
9/12/10

Racist ass cracka 

7/12/19 3:42 PM
9/22/16
TheDarkPassenger - 

Racist ass cracka 

It appears so.

The person I'm replacing left a "Black Lives Matter" glass ornament/paper weight thing in a drawer. I'm sure my pasty ass is the direct opposite.
7/12/19 3:44 PM
5/16/19

Sounds like you have a shitty job

7/12/19 3:49 PM
6/30/07
Zned -

I worked at an IB once where the CEO cam eout and fired a Sr banker.

The banker walked into his office, locked the door, and went back to work.

The CEO was outside the door screaming at him to get the fuck out.

He just completely ignored him.

He came back in the next day and acted like nothing happen.

The whole thing was so crazy and bizarre that they just let him keep coming back in.

He ended up getting fired permanently a few months later after he kicked a flight attendent in the shin and got charged with some sort of federal assault charges.

True story.

Did she get her stapler?

7/12/19 3:49 PM
9/22/16
I'm also getting the feeling that my BLM predecessor was lesbian... My staff is hot, skinny black girls, all of whom are under 25, have great asses, and outrageous fingernails. The one at the front desk is going to get a guy fired at some point (not me).
7/12/19 3:52 PM
1/22/05

Calls you a racial slur then says the company is racist. I’m shocked.

7/12/19 3:57 PM
9/22/16
Viper has the Lead - 

My job is actually fantastic. However, I have been brought in primarily to take over accounting functions and re-tool a portion of the staff. Which is fine. I'm only a year or two away from my dream job, and happy with my current career trajectory.
7/12/19 3:58 PM
4/22/07
AnthonyWeiner - I'm also getting the feeling that my BLM predecessor was lesbian... My staff is hot, skinny black girls, all of whom are under 25, have great asses, and outrageous fingernails. The one at the front desk is going to get a guy fired at some point (not me).

So you stilli hiring? 

7/12/19 3:59 PM
6/30/07
AnthonyWeiner - I just got called a "dumbass cracka."

Honestly, it went pretty well. I'm always pretty direct when it comes to terminations. Sit them down, inform them that it's over, discuss the end of their pay/benefits, give them the letter, have a nice life.

She went from 0-to-"Fuck you white boy" in around 4 seconds. She did some huffing, stomped a bit, said I didn't know what I was talking about, said she "has something for our asses", then said that the previous person in my position (another woman of color) had her back, and our corporate ownership would be hearing about our "racist asses". I only responded by reminding her that it would be inappropriate to ever return to our business, and that she would be receiving her final paycheck via certified mail.

That got me a "Fuck you, dumbass cracka" before she stomped out. She came back because she forgot to clock out, then ripped down the schedule and took it with her. I assume seeing herself being crossed out is some sort of illegal event, in her eyes.

Anyways, I've printed a new schedule and am changing the code for our door lock.

Nothing was broken, nothing was stolen, I consider it a successful termination.

Always change the locks

And order pizza or catering or coffees or something. It's always disruptive when this happens and while settings the tone of " business continues" is important, it's dismissive to your team to not acknowledge that shit just down. It's the critical moment between fuck that guy vs he's on the side of keeping this shop open.

7/12/19 4:01 PM
6/30/07
AnthonyWeiner -
Viper has the Lead - 

My job is actually fantastic. However, I have been brought in primarily to take over accounting functions and re-tool a portion of the staff. Which is fine. I'm only a year or two away from my dream job, and happy with my current career trajectory.

Ive been the designated asshole before, it's thankless.

7/12/19 4:05 PM
5/10/08
Zned - 

The whole thing was so crazy and bizarre that they just let him keep coming back in.

He ended up getting fired permanently a few months later after he kicked a flight attendent in the shin and got charged with some sort of federal assault charges.

True story.

I have seen things like this happen at a couple of IBs...

Sometimes folks have guarantees and place and the heads of the group are so territorial, they can tell the CEO to fuck off...

If they are good at their job... the CEOs or Senior guys will back off...

7/12/19 4:09 PM
4/27/15

How it went in her mind

7/12/19 4:10 PM
1/1/01

lol

7/12/19 4:13 PM
6/30/07
Zned -

True story.

As much as you think my job is like a movie, I think the same about yours.

That's hilarious and insane and I only have one question- what was his SN?

"Some faggot is trying to fire me right now, locked him out, AMA"

7/12/19 4:18 PM
4/3/08
Just had to go through this. Having to deal with explaining to the rest of my guys that the reasons he’s giving to why he was fired is not true. But I think they all know, that if they consider following in his footsteps, I’m not fucking around.
7/12/19 4:34 PM
6/30/07

Just had a guy I walked out the door threaten to kill me, MrsMedic, my dog, and everyone else at the base.

Never really know what's going on in someone else's life or brain.

This is why HR and city cops treat people like shit- because some people are shit and dangerous to whatever bottom line you are trying to achieve.

7/12/19 4:37 PM
8/1/13
Black Dougie -

How it went in her mind

One of the greatest scenes and movie of all time.

7/12/19 4:39 PM
6/30/07
Beninger - Just had to go through this. Having to deal with explaining to the rest of my guys that the reasons he’s giving to why he was fired is not true. But I think they all know, that if they consider following in his footsteps, I’m not fucking around.

Its a tough one, it's just as easy to do it wrong and be loved as it is to do it right and be hated.

Leadership is complicated, only ego deludes a man into thinking that the path is clear.

My actual degree is in leadership theory and I don't know how to do it right. I just see it being done wrong constantly.

7/12/19 4:40 PM
6/20/14
AnthonyWeiner - ... and she's getting fired for the second time this week.

My superior terminated this gal on Monday afternoon after she pitched an f-bomb laced tantrum regarding inappropriate footwear (flip-flops) and cell phone usage at her position.

When I arrived at 9 a.m. today, she was working like nothing had happened. The gal we had scheduled to cover her shift reported that they both arrived at the same time, and the terminated employee told her that the schedule was wrong, sending her home.

I decided to go the no-drama route and let her work the shift, which ends at 3, then fire her upon the arrival of her relief. She hilariously asked me for a new employee handbook about an hour ago, planning on making some sort of trouble after the fact.

Anyways, I'm about to get cursed out by a hood rat. I didn't hire her, and I have no emotional attachment, so the only real interesting part is, unlike my boss, I always wish the person the best in their future endeavors. WWE-style.

This is going to be great.

I just had to fire someone 2 weeks ago. Always have a witness in there with you when you fire someone. Maybe the assistant manager or another employee you trust. 

Because without a witness the person getting fired can make up all kinds of shit that didn't  happen. 

7/12/19 4:50 PM
1/1/01
HoJon (og member) and I had fired numerous people together. He was HR and I was operations. He was the no frills guy, right to the point with no emotion. I was the "hey, it's not me guy, but policy is policy."

Never had any problems.....

Talked with the new Operations Director recently who asked me if we had previous lawsuits due to terminating employees. I said no, HoJon and I always had our ducks-in-a-row and discussed all terminations to make sure that we were on solid ground. She informed me that they are currently being sued by 3 ex-employees.

The new operations staff had a quick trigger finger to fire people without making sure shit was lined up correctly...