OtherGround Forums Firing someone at 3pm...

7/12/19 4:55 PM
4/27/07

Kill Whitey

7/12/19 4:58 PM
5/16/19

7/12/19 5:24 PM
6/30/07

OP is clearly a go getter and has management written all over him

7/15/19 10:08 AM
9/22/16
Sooo... She called our corporate office and claimed her termination was race-related. It only took me four days to get called a racist.

I have two interviews for her position set for tomorrow. Both are black women from the same city. I will not hire anyone tht smells like Victoria's Secret body spray, period.
7/15/19 10:17 AM
10/15/13
AnthonyWeiner - I just got called a "dumbass cracka."

Honestly, it went pretty well. I'm always pretty direct when it comes to terminations. Sit them down, inform them that it's over, discuss the end of their pay/benefits, give them the letter, have a nice life.

She went from 0-to-"Fuck you white boy" in around 4 seconds. She did some huffing, stomped a bit, said I didn't know what I was talking about, said she "has something for our asses", then said that the previous person in my position (another woman of color) had her back, and our corporate ownership would be hearing about our "racist asses". I only responded by reminding her that it would be inappropriate to ever return to our business, and that she would be receiving her final paycheck via certified mail.

That got me a "Fuck you, dumbass cracka" before she stomped out. She came back because she forgot to clock out, then ripped down the schedule and took it with her. I assume seeing herself being crossed out is some sort of illegal event, in her eyes.

Anyways, I've printed a new schedule and am changing the code for our door lock.

Nothing was broken, nothing was stolen, I consider it a successful termination.

"Nothing was broken...."

Nothing OP?

How about that heart of yours? Or do you not have one you dumbass cracka!

7/15/19 10:19 AM
10/15/13
AnthonyWeiner - Sooo... She called our corporate office and claimed her termination was race-related. It only took me four days to get called a racist.

I have two interviews for her position set for tomorrow. Both are black women from the same city. I will not hire anyone tht smells like Victoria's Secret body spray, period.

What about Axe body spray?? *crosses fingers*

7/15/19 10:20 AM
9/22/16
Al Cappucino - 
AnthonyWeiner - Sooo... She called our corporate office and claimed her termination was race-related. It only took me four days to get called a racist.

My business is in a chocolate city. If a young black male comes in wearing Axe I will shit myself into a coma, then hire him.
7/15/19 10:26 AM
7/13/09

Did you drop the future endeavors line? Does her mom want to peg your ofay ass now?

7/15/19 10:39 AM
1/1/01

Reading through this thread was awesome 

7/16/19 12:01 AM
3/16/15
AnthonyWeiner - 
Al Cappucino - 

My business is in a chocolate city. If a young black male comes in wearing Axe I will shit myself into a coma, then hire him.

New Orleans! My brotha!

7/16/19 2:29 AM
1/1/01
ttt
7/16/19 9:48 AM
10/25/05

How did the woman's mother take the firing?

7/16/19 12:47 PM
11/5/03

I once got fired and then unfired in the same 20  minute meeting. Boss got conned into it by my mostly incompetent supervisor (an angry at the world former alcoholic obese middle aged woman) , without first checking the facts.

When I produced the real info and he realized his information was almost completely fabricated, he apologized and then stopped by my office an hour later with a painting he had in his own office he knew I liked as a "gift" .

It was surreal. I ended up losing all respect for him due to being a captain save a ho (no fallout for the lying hag of course), and especially for not sticking to his guns. What a wishy washy pansy. 

Quit of my own volition 3 months later. 

7/16/19 2:05 PM
7/29/13
iclimb513 -

I once got fired and then unfired in the same 20  minute meeting. Boss got conned into it by my mostly incompetent supervisor (an angry at the world former alcoholic obese middle aged woman) , without first checking the facts.

When I produced the real info and he realized his information was almost completely fabricated, he apologized and then stopped by my office an hour later with a painting he had in his own office he knew I liked as a "gift" .

It was surreal. I ended up losing all respect for him due to being a captain save a ho (no fallout for the lying hag of course), and especially for not sticking to his guns. What a wishy washy pansy. 

Did you keep the painting though?

7/16/19 2:11 PM
1/1/01
iclimb513 - 

That sounds like DaveFu fan fiction. 

7/16/19 2:11 PM
10/15/13
MojoSoDope -
iclimb513 -

Did you keep the painting though?

That should  have been the only thing he walked out with

7/16/19 4:16 PM
1/12/06
"The painting was a gift, Todd."
7/16/19 4:25 PM
12/9/02

sub

7/16/19 4:30 PM
12/29/03
iclimb513 -

So wait.. You expect him to stick to his guns when you proved the information he had was wrong? You think if he had fired you anyway you would respect him more? That doesn't make sense. The only fault I see is him not reprimanding or firing the hag. Giving you the painting was lame AF too

7/16/19 5:25 PM
1/1/01
SergesBeefyHopeFlaps - 
iclimb513 -

So wait.. You expect him to stick to his guns when you proved the information he had was wrong? You think if he had fired you anyway you would respect him more? That doesn't make sense. The only fault I see is him not reprimanding or firing the hag. Giving you the painting was lame AF too

If the story is true, the guy's a horribly weak leader but at least you have to respect him apologizing and trying to make it right. There's at leas some level of integrity present whereas in many people/bosses there's none. No woman boss would ever own up to something like that.
7/16/19 5:28 PM
9/22/16
dpro2716 - 

How did the woman's mother take the firing?

Actually, fairly well. She seems more relieved than anything, and she doesn't want to get caught up in the drama. I had an honest and direct chat with her about it on Saturday, and she worked with me today. Her performance was excellent, and she seems to like my managerial style. She has a friendly way of talking with our customers, and is knowledgeable about her own tasks.

I had thought that the mother was going to be replacement number two, but I have (for now) changed my mind. Given what happened, she has behaved as professionally as anyone could really hope.
7/16/19 6:05 PM
2/13/16

7/16/19 6:06 PM
2/13/16

OP, don’t you work in the admin side of healthcare?

7/16/19 6:13 PM
9/22/16
Darth Potato - 

OP, don’t you work in the admin side of healthcare?

I left the medical practice to return to hospitality management (which I did until 2012). There's a good deal more room for salary growth in hospitality field, although the headaches can be greater, too. As the Assistant GM of a 3-star hotel I make almost an identical salary to running my old primary care practice, and GM positions for similar hotels in my area are significantly higher.

I took a long look at my situation a few month's ago and decided I wanted more, and made a change. I have a target for annual salary that I'd like to earn by my 45th birthday, and this is how I'm going to go get it.

I thought about starting a thread looking for advice, because I've been incredibly nervous about the career change, but the OG can be so negative sometimes.
7/16/19 8:00 PM
12/2/05

I will say that I think you made a tremendous mistake allowing her to “work” today.  Just a huge liability all around.  She knows she’s been fired and has nothing to lose.  Workman’s comp, theft, bad talking the employees, etc.  you’re lucky it went as well as it did.