OtherGround Forums First time brisket

7/11/20 3:52 PM
4/27/15
slumdog -
Nytron -

As far as smoking meats, nothing is better than brisket. You gonna make a homemade BBQ sauce to go with it?

Honestly, probably not. This is my first brisket and I didn’t want to overthink anything. I have some decent sauces I can heat up and apply. 

Nothing better than getting your burnt ends on

Edited: 7/11/20 4:35 PM
4/13/12
slumdog -
Nytron -

As far as smoking meats, nothing is better than brisket. You gonna make a homemade BBQ sauce to go with it?

Honestly, probably not. This is my first brisket and I didn’t want to overthink anything. I have some decent sauces I can heat up and apply. 

Seriously, homemade q sauce is really easy.  Ketchup, vinegar and sugar is pretty much it.  You can add butter spices, drippings, etc but it's really just tomatoes vinegar and sugar.  Search up aaron franklin's recipes I like his espresso bbq one.  Takes about 5 minutes to make.  For the espresso I usually just french press some really fine ground beans but strong coffee would work too.  I've also skipped that ingredient and it was still good.

Espresso Barbecue Sauce, by Aaron Franklin

Makes about 2 cups

1 1/2 cups ketchup
1/2 cup white vinegar
1/2 cup cider vinegar
1/4 cup dark soy sauce
1 tablespoon garlic powder
1 tablespoon onion powder
1/4 cup brown sugar
3 tablespoons (1 1/2 ounces) freshly pulled espresso
Brisket drippings, for flavoring

Mix the ketchup, both vinegars, the soy sauce, garlic and onion powders, and sugar together in a saucepan and bring to a simmer over medium heat, stirring occasionally. Remove from the heat, stir in the espresso, and then add the brisket drippings to taste. Let cool, then transfer to a jar, bottle, squeeze bottle, or however you want to store it. Store in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.

7/11/20 5:10 PM
1/25/12
EFM -
slumdog -
Nytron -

Seriously, homemade q sauce is really easy.  Ketchup, vinegar and sugar is pretty much it.  You can add butter spices, drippings, etc but it's really just tomatoes vinegar and sugar.  Search up aaron franklin's recipes I like his espresso bbq one.  Takes about 5 minutes to make.  For the espresso I usually just french press some really fine ground beans but strong coffee would work too.  I've also skipped that ingredient and it was still good.

Makes about 2 cups

1 1/2 cups ketchup
1/2 cup white vinegar
1/2 cup cider vinegar
1/4 cup dark soy sauce
1/4 cup brown sugar

Mix the ketchup, both vinegars, the soy sauce, garlic and onion powders, and sugar together in a saucepan and bring to a simmer over medium heat, stirring occasionally. Remove from the heat, stir in the espresso, and then add the brisket drippings to taste. Let cool, then transfer to a jar, bottle, squeeze bottle, or however you want to store it. Store in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.

Pretty sure I have all those ingredients too! 

7/11/20 5:10 PM
1/25/12
Black Dougie -
slumdog -
Nytron -

Nothing better than getting your burnt ends on

Tip of the point, cubed, and thrown back on the smoker for about 25 minutes right? 

Edited: 7/11/20 7:01 PM
11/24/13
EFM -
slumdog -
Nytron -

Makes about 2 cups

1 1/2 cups ketchup
1/2 cup white vinegar
1/2 cup cider vinegar
1/4 cup dark soy sauce
1/4 cup brown sugar

Here's a BBQ sauce recipe I've dialled in over the years. It is fuckin perfection, never have come across a better recipe:

7/11/20 6:51 PM
1/1/01

Fat side down, hes going against the grain COTTON

7/11/20 7:25 PM
1/25/12
NiteProwleR -

Fat side down, hes going against the grain COTTON

Lol the internet is overwhelming sometimes 

7/12/20 12:25 AM
4/13/12
Nytron -
EFM -
slumdog -
Nytron -

Makes about 2 cups

1 1/2 cups ketchup
1/2 cup white vinegar
1/2 cup cider vinegar
1/4 cup dark soy sauce
1/4 cup brown sugar

Here's a BBQ sauce recipe I've dialled in over the years. It is fuckin perfection, never have come across a better recipe:

Cooking a brisket this week.  Will give this a shot, thanks.

OP, how'd your brisket go?

7/12/20 12:26 AM
1/1/01

Are we gonna see this bitch or not

7/12/20 12:27 AM
1/1/01

here's a 2 and a half lb prime sirloin in the meantime
7/12/20 12:28 AM
1/1/01

7/12/20 12:43 AM
3/12/07

I trim my brisket down to about 1/4-1/8 inch fat across the brisket. Trimming to thickness is difficult because the meat isn't really flat, but the end result is less fat on the finished brisket and a really easy fat layer to peel off and make meat candy with.

I also separate my point/fatty and flat. 

7/12/20 2:22 AM
1/25/12
NiteProwleR -

Lmao it’s still on the smoker! Underestimated the shit out of this cook. It’s current temp is 198 in the middle. The point is tender like butter but the flat is still reading about 188 and not tender. Got damn help me lol

7/12/20 3:35 AM
4/13/12
slumdog -
NiteProwleR -

Lmao it’s still on the smoker! Underestimated the shit out of this cook. It’s current temp is 198 in the middle. The point is tender like butter but the flat is still reading about 188 and not tender. Got damn help me lol

How much did it weigh?  Also, I focus on the quality/temp of my favorite part.  Getting every part of the brisket perfect will not come on your first try.  Patience grasshopper.

7/12/20 4:11 AM
1/1/01
slumdog -
NiteProwleR -

I told you not to look. Every peek is like half an hr of cook time 

7/12/20 4:11 AM
1/1/01

I never got these spritzer fags

7/12/20 11:50 AM
1/25/12

7/12/20 11:51 AM
1/25/12

7/12/20 11:51 AM
1/25/12

7/12/20 11:52 AM
1/25/12

7/12/20 11:52 AM
1/25/12

7/12/20 11:53 AM
1/25/12

Brisket for breakfast I suppose. Brisket eggs benedict anyone?

7/12/20 12:05 PM
1/25/12

All in all for a first time brisket I think it came out really well! I just underestimated the time it was going to take so ended up resting it for about 7 hours because I had to go to sleep. Super tender and meaty as fuck! 

7/12/20 1:25 PM
4/13/12

Id eat that.  In the future, id slice the flat a little thinner.  Not sure how you did the point but the idea is to slice the flat as you did then when you get to the point, rotate it 90° on the cutting board and keep slicing.

7/12/20 1:54 PM
4/27/15
slumdog -

Brisket for breakfast I suppose. Brisket eggs benedict anyone?

Looks great dude. Was it super juicy?

I usually have breakfast and egss the next morning if there is any left over.  When it's just me, there are lots of leftovers.

Pro-tip.  If you have leftovers, Vacuum-pack the portion after it's cooled, without slicing.  When you want to eat, heat the pack up in the microwave with the pack still sealed.  Take out and slice.