OtherGround Forums First time brisket

7/10/20 9:35 PM
1/25/12

first time doing a brisket. I’ll be throwing it on my RecTec Bull and hoping for the best! Wish me luck 

7/10/20 9:40 PM
4/27/15

Good luck brother. I have rocked about 10 to 12 with my Rec Tec in the last year or so.  Love that thing.

Report back with pics tomorrow

7/10/20 9:41 PM
4/13/12

Smoking it?  Salt and pepper only.  Keep the temp at 225.  Keep a water pan in there to help keep the moisture up.  Wrap in butcher or parchment paper at the stall.  Use prime briskets for best results.  I'm sure you know all this, just some key pointers.

Good luck.  Post pics when done.

7/10/20 9:43 PM
1/1/01

Dont overthink it. If you look it dont cook

trim that nasty huck around the middle. Itll double your stall.

7/10/20 9:53 PM
3/1/07
slumdog -

first time doing a brisket. I’ll be throwing it on my RecTec Bull and hoping for the best! Wish me luck 

Got a RecTec on order. Can’t wait for it to arrive. Post pics of the after cook. Good luck

7/10/20 9:54 PM
1/25/12
Black Dougie -

Good luck brother. I have rocked about 10 to 12 with my Rec Tec in the last year or so.  Love that thing.

Report back with pics tomorrow

Will do! Thanks man 

7/10/20 9:55 PM
1/25/12
EFM -

Smoking it?  Salt and pepper only.  Keep the temp at 225.  Keep a water pan in there to help keep the moisture up.  Wrap in butcher or parchment paper at the stall.  Use prime briskets for best results.  I'm sure you know all this, just some key pointers.

Good luck.  Post pics when done.

I’ve heard mixed reviews with putting a water pan in a pellet grill. A lot of people say it’s not needed so I’m not too sure. Got the butcher paper on deck! 

7/10/20 9:56 PM
1/25/12
NiteProwleR -

Thanks man! Can you specify the nasty hunk you’re talking about? Trimming is a damn art project I swear lol 

7/10/20 10:06 PM
4/27/15
NiteProwleR -

Yeah - i have started cutting out as much of the hard deckle fat between the point and flat as possible.  I try to get the point to lay as flat as possible.

Also OP - if you are gonna rub that nice-looking brisket and let it sit overnight, make sure there is no salt in the rub.  

7/10/20 10:17 PM
1/25/12
Black Dougie -
NiteProwleR -

Yeah - i have started cutting out as much of the hard deckle fat between the point and flat as possible.  I try to get the point to lay as flat as possible.

Also OP - if you are gonna rub that nice-looking brisket and let it sit overnight, make sure there is no salt in the rub.  

I’m going to throw the rub on about 30 minutes before it hits the grill. Good pointer though on the no salt for overnight rubs. I remember reading that somewhere 

7/10/20 10:23 PM
4/27/15
slumdog -
Black Dougie -
NiteProwleR -

I’m going to throw the rub on about 30 minutes before it hits the grill. Good pointer though on the no salt for overnight rubs. I remember reading that somewhere 

LIke that drunk mexican above said, don't over-think it.  Just keep an eye on the temp (super easy with the bluetooth and app on your phone), and you will come out like a champ

Edited: 7/10/20 10:30 PM
11/24/13

Salt and pepper only with brisket.

You gonna texas crutch?

What temp you aiming for, 203?

Don't forget to FTC (foil, towel, cooler) afterwards.

7/10/20 10:30 PM
3/16/15
I just microwaved three hot dogs.

Not trying to flex on you guys, but deal with it
7/10/20 10:31 PM
11/24/13
UltimateKeyboardWarrior - I just microwaved three hot dogs.

A New Study Reveals What’s Actually in Hot Dogs. Hint: It’s Not Meat.

7/10/20 10:33 PM
1/1/01

You don't have to trim as much as he does but remove all the deckle

7/10/20 10:36 PM
3/16/15
Nytron - 

I just checked.

It is a Kenmore microwave, probably 1100 watts.

I used Great Value hot dog buns ($0.88 for 8 buns), and Great Value mustard ($1.00 for 16 ounces).
7/10/20 10:37 PM
3/16/15
Sorry, but not sorry, about my humble brag.
7/10/20 11:15 PM
1/25/12
Black Dougie -
slumdog -
Black Dougie -
NiteProwleR -

LIke that drunk mexican above said, don't over-think it.  Just keep an eye on the temp (super easy with the bluetooth and app on your phone), and you will come out like a champ

Drunk mexican? Must be a relative lol. I’ll watch the video a do a few adjustments 

7/10/20 11:16 PM
4/13/12
Black Dougie -
NiteProwleR -

The best brisket I've cooked so far I hardly trimmed at all.  I cut out a good chunk of the deckle but not all of it.

I'm convinced the actual brisket you get is 90% of the fight.

7/10/20 11:16 PM
11/24/13
UltimateKeyboardWarrior -
Nytron - 

I just checked.

It is a Kenmore microwave, probably 1100 watts.

I used Great Value hot dog buns ($0.88 for 8 buns), and Great Value mustard ($1.00 for 16 ounces).

RIP your stomach. You just ate animal feces, see article I linked.

7/10/20 11:17 PM
1/25/12
Nytron -

Salt and pepper only with brisket.

You gonna texas crutch?

What temp you aiming for, 203?

Don't forget to FTC (foil, towel, cooler) afterwards.

Butcher paper once I get the color I like. Following all the other steps too! 

7/10/20 11:17 PM
1/25/12
namrepus -
slumdog -

Got a RecTec on order. Can’t wait for it to arrive. Post pics of the after cook. Good luck

You will absolutely love it! 

7/10/20 11:22 PM
4/27/15
EFM -
Black Dougie -
NiteProwleR -

The best brisket I've cooked so far I hardly trimmed at all.  I cut out a good chunk of the deckle but not all of it.

I'm convinced the actual brisket you get is 90% of the fight.

Yeah - i get all my briskets from the same place (and same grade), but some are just a freaking headache.  I don't mind having to do a bunch of trimming on the fat cap, etc, but the way they are wrapped, most times you can't really get a good grasp of the size and quality of the point.  

7/10/20 11:37 PM
2/12/14

In

and lol at prime. The purpose of cooking a brisket is to make something good out of what usually would be ground into hamburger or chunked into chili. 

in yall. 

broil king keg. I drink i smoke.

7/10/20 11:39 PM
10/20/07

I'm in for pictures and hopefully to see what a rec tec is without googling

Love bbq/smoker threads!