OtherGround Forums Florida Man Stands his Ground over Parking Dispute

7/22/18 6:26 PM
11/29/11

It's hard for me to feel sorry for people who park in handicap spots. Even if they the badge tbh

7/22/18 7:00 PM
1/1/01
Samoa -
BJ Penn Forever - Honestly both dudes were out of line, normal people don't approach strangers about parking in handicapped spots, normal people don't push people to the ground who are bitching about parking in the spot and normal people damn sure don't commit murder after being pushed.

Absolutely. Both are idiots. I still see a man who knew he was armed antagonizing an issue that he didn’t need to.  He created the situation. 

This is it.  If a guy is breaking the law then call the police. Dead guy was an asshole but didn't advance once the gun was pulled. Thats murder and an argument can be made it was premeditated given his history and the fact he arguably initiated the conflict

7/22/18 7:20 PM
2/2/15
holly9000 -
Fake Pie - 
Piyo -
Fake Pie -
pfsjkd -
Fake Pie -
Piyo -
Fake Pie -
Piyo -
Fake Pie -
vincan469 -

so if the guy shot had been carrying and had feared for his wife safety could he have just walked up and shot the guy duirng the interaction with his wife?

No because that guy was saying things not assualting people. 

The person who was shot wasn’t assaulting anyone at the time he was shot. 

Well no one is doing anything at the moment they are shot beside getting shot. 

I’m not sure how that’s true. It’s certainly correct to say, in common language, something like “he was shot while advancing toward that man in a threatening manner”. 

Again, if you simply think that any shove opens one up to justifiable killing then just declare your strange view and be done with it. If not, state what you would’ve wanted the man to do after the shove. 

I just found it a strange comment. Like if I stabbed you and you fell down then shot me from the ground I could say well I wasn't stabbing you when you shot me! 

If you stabbed someone and they fell to the ground and you were backing away, then under most definitions of self-defense they wouldn’t be justified in shooting you (cops operate under slightly different rules). Admittedly, this could change 180 degrees depending on many small factors, but in the simple situation you used as an example, that’s how it works. 

Lol. Dude I love you but zero people ever would get convicted for shooting someone who just stabbed them. Ever. 

I agree with you, but I think there are some big practical differences between the two. First, if someone stabs you, you can reasonably infer they’re most probably trying to kill you or do you serious bodily harm, but you can’t reasonably infer that from a shove.

Second, a stabbing is serious enough that it’s unreasonable to expect the victim to totally keep their cool. In other words, some of the justifications that the trolls above are trying to apply to this case would actually apply in the case of a stabbing. I think if you decide to carry a gun it’s incumbent upon you to determine for yourself whether or not you can take a push to the ground without freaking out, and if you self-assess incorrectly then it’s on you. 

About the only thing that could get me to change my mind here would be if actual doctors testified that the shooter had a legit concussion. 

Of course a stabbing is totally different. Didn't think we needed to go down that rabbit hole. 

I disagree. I don't think the weapon is the issue. I think it boils down to imposition of one's will upon another person through the use of violence. That's it. No matter what the mode of delivery, in the end it is the violent ACT by one person against another that triggers the stand your ground or self defense laws.

What matters is the perception in a reasonable person's mind of danger. To my eyes an assault was in progress that justified any response necessary to neutralize the threat. You can argue all day the guy was moving back after the shove, that all he did was push the shooter down, etc...bullshit

That was an assault in progress plain and simple. The fact that so few of you recognize that makes me question how you lasted so long in life with such obviously poor survival instincts.

The bottom line is you have no idea what that guy was going to do next, 2 steps back, turn and leap, two steps back, draw his own weapon, two steps back, 3 steps forward.

You don't know. You weren't being attacked. The victim had every right and responsibility to neutralize an ongoing threat to his physical person and that's exactly what he did.

If that guy had not drawn and the other guy had stepped back, turned and charged him and beat him to death people would be saying "why didn't he draw and fire?" "He had plenty of time before the guy came at him again"

Shooter was right every step on the way

You're a half man, cowardly pussy. You're the type that has no business carrying a gun.

There's an awful lot of "what ifs" in your post, bottom line is that the dude was backing away from the murderer, made no motion as if drawing his own weapon or showing intent to attack again. Just to reiterate: you're a fucking pussy.

7/22/18 9:18 PM
2/23/05
You seem upset? I'm sorry if you're too stupid to be able to identify an assault when you're (literally) watching one with your own eyes. Thankfully the sheriff's dept isn't nearly as thick as you. I may be a pussy but at least I'm not an idiot ;)
7/22/18 9:21 PM
7/15/02
holly9000 -
Fake Pie - 
Piyo -
Fake Pie -
pfsjkd -
Fake Pie -
Piyo -
Fake Pie -
Piyo -
Fake Pie -
vincan469 -

so if the guy shot had been carrying and had feared for his wife safety could he have just walked up and shot the guy duirng the interaction with his wife?

I’m not sure how that’s true. It’s certainly correct to say, in common language, something like “he was shot while advancing toward that man in a threatening manner”. 

Again, if you simply think that any shove opens one up to justifiable killing then just declare your strange view and be done with it. If not, state what you would’ve wanted the man to do after the shove. 

I just found it a strange comment. Like if I stabbed you and you fell down then shot me from the ground I could say well I wasn't stabbing you when you shot me! 

If you stabbed someone and they fell to the ground and you were backing away, then under most definitions of self-defense they wouldn’t be justified in shooting you (cops operate under slightly different rules). Admittedly, this could change 180 degrees depending on many small factors, but in the simple situation you used as an example, that’s how it works. 

Lol. Dude I love you but zero people ever would get convicted for shooting someone who just stabbed them. Ever. 

I agree with you, but I think there are some big practical differences between the two. First, if someone stabs you, you can reasonably infer they’re most probably trying to kill you or do you serious bodily harm, but you can’t reasonably infer that from a shove.

Second, a stabbing is serious enough that it’s unreasonable to expect the victim to totally keep their cool. In other words, some of the justifications that the trolls above are trying to apply to this case would actually apply in the case of a stabbing. I think if you decide to carry a gun it’s incumbent upon you to determine for yourself whether or not you can take a push to the ground without freaking out, and if you self-assess incorrectly then it’s on you. 

About the only thing that could get me to change my mind here would be if actual doctors testified that the shooter had a legit concussion. 

Of course a stabbing is totally different. Didn't think we needed to go down that rabbit hole. 

I disagree. I don't think the weapon is the issue. I think it boils down to imposition of one's will upon another person through the use of violence. That's it. No matter what the mode of delivery, in the end it is the violent ACT by one person against another that triggers the stand your ground or self defense laws.

What matters is the perception in a reasonable person's mind of danger. To my eyes an assault was in progress that justified any response necessary to neutralize the threat. You can argue all day the guy was moving back after the shove, that all he did was push the shooter down, etc...bullshit

That was an assault in progress plain and simple. The fact that so few of you recognize that makes me question how you lasted so long in life with such obviously poor survival instincts.

The bottom line is you have no idea what that guy was going to do next, 2 steps back, turn and leap, two steps back, draw his own weapon, two steps back, 3 steps forward.

You don't know. You weren't being attacked. The victim had every right and responsibility to neutralize an ongoing threat to his physical person and that's exactly what he did.

If that guy had not drawn and the other guy had stepped back, turned and charged him and beat him to death people would be saying "why didn't he draw and fire?" "He had plenty of time before the guy came at him again"

Not a single person has argued that the man was wrong to draw and aim his gun. That alone handles every bullshit situation you just fantasized about.

7/22/18 10:26 PM
1/1/01
RenatoCocopreta -
Samoa - 
pfsjkd -
jcblass -
The law really hinges on one's perception of danger, if the shooter has a justifiable reason to be fearful, then he can defend himself. It is up to him to articulate that properly. If he says, "well he fucked with me, so I shot him..." not good. If he says, "I am nearly 50 years old, I have a bad back, and he shoved me really hard, after I hit the cement, I wasn't sure I could get up, and I knew that if he got on top of me, I could have been killed, so I reacted out of fear." He has a chance.

I think this shoot is questionable, but I am also sitting at my computer, calm, on a Saturday night. Once you take someone out of that element, especially by force and violence, then all bets are off. 

So this guy was there engaging the driver, and out of nowhere he was shoved to the ground hard, by a much larger and more aggressive male, at that point, logic goes out the window and the flight or fight mechanism takes hold, so all bets are off then. In Florida you just can't blindly shove people to the ground, because if they honestly feel like they broke their hip, or their mind scrambles, and they "fear" being attacked further, then they can respond with lethal force. That's what happened here, sad, but it seems to be legal under the law. 

Great post. 

Actually it doesn’t come down to “one’s pereception”. It comes down to a normal and prudent person’s perception and what that person would do given the same circumstances. Legally at least. 

No, you are wrong my tubby tanned friend.

SYG allows the subjective reasoning of the shooter to determine the legality WHICH IS WHY HE WONT BE CHARGED WITH ANYTHING.

You’re all wound up around the axle on this. 

So the shooter can decide at any point anything can be a threat and just shoot them. This is what you are saying. Literally you said this. “Subjective reasoning of the shooter determines the legality”.

The law says......wait for it......”reasonably believes that such force is necessary to prevent imminent death or great bodily harm to himself or herself or another”

Guess what the legal definition of “reasonable is”.   Well actually you don’t need to guess. You can go back to my post you responded to to see it. 

7/22/18 11:21 PM
12/24/16
Poleeko - 
holly9000 -
Fake Pie - 
Piyo -
Fake Pie -
pfsjkd -
Fake Pie -
Piyo -
Fake Pie -
Piyo -
Fake Pie -
vincan469 -

“That was an assault in progress plain and simple. The fact that so few of you recognize that makes me question how you lasted so long in life with such obviously poor survival instincts.”

Maybe by not causing conflict over stupid shit? Just a guess. 

there is no conflict . he simply talks . the fucking shithead comes out and shoves him to the ground . gets shot and deserves it
7/22/18 11:40 PM
1/28/13

And this is why society is safer without guns. 

7/23/18 1:15 AM
5/2/02

Any claim to Self defense has to presume that you aren’t the instigator.  You can’t walk up to someone’s wife and kids and scream at them and bait contact just so you can pull your gun and kill them.  

And looking at that video, I don’t see how anyone can call it self defense.  The situation was neutralized and the immediate threat resolved.  Same way you can’t chase down a guy and gun him down.  

I support SYG laws because they do away with the ridiculous obligation to retreat.  But if people are treating them as a justification to instigate then there’s a problem.  

I can’t stand at the edge of your property line screaming obscenities at you until you finally punch me and then gun you down.  

7/23/18 1:55 AM
12/2/05
nottheface -

Any claim to Self defense has to presume that you aren’t the instigator.  You can’t walk up to someone’s wife and kids and scream at them and bait contact just so you can pull your gun and kill them.  

And looking at that video, I don’t see how anyone can call it self defense.  The situation was neutralized and the immediate threat resolved.  Same way you can’t chase down a guy and gun him down.  

I support SYG laws because they do away with the ridiculous obligation to retreat.  But if people are treating them as a justification to instigate then there’s a problem.  

I can’t stand at the edge of your property line screaming obscenities at you until you finally punch me and then gun you down.  

Actually you can. Words are not illegal. Punching someone is and let's victim use self defense. Now obviously shooting over a punch is going to be harder to defend but still possible. 

7/23/18 2:02 AM
12/30/03
I wish people acted like hockey players before a puck drop regarding fighting.

"Hey bud, you wanna go?!"

"Absolutely."

"Alright, man. Good luck. God Bless"

Fight begins.
7/23/18 2:09 AM
1/1/01
holly9000 -
Fake Pie - 
Piyo -
Fake Pie -
pfsjkd -
Fake Pie -
Piyo -
Fake Pie -
Piyo -
Fake Pie -
vincan469 -

This post is rife with incorrectness. LOL @ ‘I wasn’t sure what he was gonna do so I killed him. You know. Just in case.’ 

7/23/18 2:10 AM
12/30/03
Also, shooting someone because you got pushed down is bitch made. The dude heart checked him and he instantly got scared of the scary black man. That's sad.
7/23/18 4:37 AM
2/20/09
QueenCityLurker -
Samoa -

Bitch made pussy ass mark. A CCW holder with his weapon provokes an issue over a parking spot and can’t get it from the shoulder so he shoots and kills a man. 

Don’t get into a confrontation with someone because they park in a handicapped spot. Especially don’t create a confrontation over a handicapped parking spot when you’re carrying your fuckin gun. 

Lol@you. Did you poor out a little Colt 45 for your fallen homie?

Seems the guy doing the shoving was the ultimate provocateur here. Don't put your hands on someone like that and you won't get shot. I can tell by your vernacular that you're the type to steer far clear of personal accountability. 

Now finish sucking off your thug boyfriend, faggot.

Gotta love the Internet.

there isn’t a chance you’d run your mouth like that to Samoa in real life.  Disagree?  Sure.  Emphatically state your opinion?  Sure.

Call him names and shit?  Nope.

You sir, are a coward.

7/23/18 8:13 AM
2/23/05
pfsjkd - 
holly9000 -
Fake Pie - 
Piyo -
Fake Pie -
pfsjkd -
Fake Pie -
Piyo -
Fake Pie -
Piyo -
Fake Pie -
vincan469 -

This post is rife with incorrectness. LOL @ ‘I wasn’t sure what he was gonna do so I killed him. You know. Just in case.’ 

Yup. EXACTLY CORRECT
7/23/18 8:23 AM
2/23/05
This is so simple I amazed that some of you still don't seem to get it.

In many states, if you impose your will with violence you can be killed for it. Period.

The Takeaway: Don't be a thug

It's illegal and you can wind up dead.

It doesn't matter whether that violent act is a gunshot, a stabbing, or a push. A violent act is a violent act and if it meets the criteria of being considered as much by a reasonable person or persons (in this case the Pinellas Sheriff's dept) it's perfectly fine if someone kills you over it

Some of you THUGS are crying because you fucking WISH the world would let you be the fucktard gorillas you really are. I get that. I get that anyone who dares think it's ok to kill you for being the fucktard THUGS you are are pussies lol get tha fuck outa here with that bullshit

The legal system, which thankfully is run by people with half a brain says you can't. It says that pussies like me get to shoot your ass with impunity if you try and pull that shit on us. So go lift your weights, drink your monster energy drinks and get your tribal tats all you want. just check yourselves if you push someone down in the parking lot over words because all the workouts in the world aren't going to save your bully asses from a 9mm to the dome
7/23/18 8:29 AM
5/18/18

Another of today’s giant pussies !!! 

Hey if you can’t fight and you go start trouble, no problem, just shoot an unarmed man like the vagina that you are. 

7/23/18 9:37 AM
2/11/03
HOlly is garbage, pretty much you can shoot anyone for anything according to that garbage ass post. Oh no he stepped toward me, time to take him down. Oh no he pushed me, DEATH. Oh no he tripped me, take off his head.
7/23/18 9:38 AM
2/23/05
Poleeko - 
holly9000 - This is so simple I amazed that some of you still don't seem to get it.

In many states, if you impose your will with violence you can be killed for it. Period.

The Takeaway: Don't be a thug

It's illegal and you can wind up dead.

It doesn't matter whether that violent act is a gunshot, a stabbing, or a push. A violent act is a violent act and if it meets the criteria of being considered as much by a reasonable person or persons (in this case the Pinellas Sheriff's dept) it's perfectly fine if someone kills you over it

Some of you THUGS are crying because you fucking WISH the world would let you be the fucktard gorillas you really are. I get that. I get that anyone who dares think it's ok to kill you for being the fucktard THUGS you are are pussies lol get tha fuck outa here with that bullshit

The legal system, which thankfully is run by people with half a brain says you can't. It says that pussies like me get to shoot your ass with impunity if you try and pull that shit on us. So go lift your weights, drink your monster energy drinks and get your tribal tats all you want. just check yourselves if you push someone down in the parking lot over words because all the workouts in the world aren't going to save your bully asses from a 9mm to the dome

Had the guy who was shot something other than black then you wouldn’t be calling him a thug.

Wrong.
7/23/18 9:39 AM
2/23/05
Isaac298 - HOlly is garbage, pretty much you can shoot anyone for anything according to that garbage ass post. Oh no he stepped toward me, time to take him down. Oh no he pushed me, DEATH. Oh no he tripped me, take off his head.

Yup! I made the laws! How did you guess? I actually run the entire world! Anyone need anything?
7/23/18 10:13 AM
6/8/08
holly9000 -
Isaac298 - HOlly is garbage, pretty much you can shoot anyone for anything according to that garbage ass post. Oh no he stepped toward me, time to take him down. Oh no he pushed me, DEATH. Oh no he tripped me, take off his head.

Yup! I made the laws! How did you guess? I actually run the entire world! Anyone need anything?

Defending the law is basically the same. Would mean you'd make the law, if you had the authority, no? 

7/23/18 10:28 AM
3/14/04
Average - 
holly9000 -

Defending the law is basically the same. Would mean you'd make the law, if you had the authority, no? 

The stand your ground laws are a necessary evil.

7/23/18 10:40 AM
2/23/05
Average - 
holly9000 -

Yes I agree with the law if that's what you're asking
7/23/18 10:56 AM
7/3/13
Do the stand your ground laws apply to school yards?

I remember a few times when I was a kid and teen I was violently pushed to the ground.
7/23/18 12:18 PM
7/20/04
CyberPunk - Do the stand your ground laws apply to school yards?

I remember a few times when I was a kid and teen I was violently pushed to the ground.

Scary level of ignorance comparing something in the schoolyard with a street assault