OtherGround Forums Florida Man Stands his Ground over Parking Dispute

7/23/18 12:19 PM
6/26/06
holly9000 - This is so simple I amazed that some of you still don't seem to get it.

In many states, if you impose your will with violence you can be killed for it. Period.

The Takeaway: Don't be a thug

It's illegal and you can wind up dead.

It doesn't matter whether that violent act is a gunshot, a stabbing, or a push. A violent act is a violent act and if it meets the criteria of being considered as much by a reasonable person or persons (in this case the Pinellas Sheriff's dept) it's perfectly fine if someone kills you over it

Some of you THUGS are crying because you fucking WISH the world would let you be the fucktard gorillas you really are. I get that. I get that anyone who dares think it's ok to kill you for being the fucktard THUGS you are are pussies lol get tha fuck outa here with that bullshit

The legal system, which thankfully is run by people with half a brain says you can't. It says that pussies like me get to shoot your ass with impunity if you try and pull that shit on us. So go lift your weights, drink your monster energy drinks and get your tribal tats all you want. just check yourselves if you push someone down in the parking lot over words because all the workouts in the world aren't going to save your bully asses from a 9mm to the dome

Damn I love this country!
7/23/18 12:20 PM
10/15/07

His 5 year old son watching his dad die really makes me sad. 

7/23/18 12:22 PM
7/3/13
Choked72 - 
CyberPunk - Do the stand your ground laws apply to school yards?

I remember a few times when I was a kid and teen I was violently pushed to the ground.

Scary level of ignorance comparing something in the schoolyard with a street assault

How did the pushes differ?
7/23/18 1:52 PM
5/2/02
holly9000 - This is so simple I amazed that some of you still don't seem to get it.

In many states, if you impose your will with violence you can be killed for it. Period.

The Takeaway: Don't be a thug

It's illegal and you can wind up dead.

It doesn't matter whether that violent act is a gunshot, a stabbing, or a push. A violent act is a violent act and if it meets the criteria of being considered as much by a reasonable person or persons (in this case the Pinellas Sheriff's dept) it's perfectly fine if someone kills you over it

Some of you THUGS are crying because you fucking WISH the world would let you be the fucktard gorillas you really are. I get that. I get that anyone who dares think it's ok to kill you for being the fucktard THUGS you are are pussies lol get tha fuck outa here with that bullshit

The legal system, which thankfully is run by people with half a brain says you can't. It says that pussies like me get to shoot your ass with impunity if you try and pull that shit on us. So go lift your weights, drink your monster energy drinks and get your tribal tats all you want. just check yourselves if you push someone down in the parking lot over words because all the workouts in the world aren't going to save your bully asses from a 9mm to the dome

A basic tenant of self defense is “disparity of force.”  Pulling a gun in a fist fight or in response to a shove is a clear escalation of force and makes claims to self defense tenuous. 

The only argument that could be used here is that there the shooter was an old man, so disparity of force already existed.  

For something to be considered self defense, it basically needs to meet the following criteria:

1) an unprovoked attack 

2) which threatens imminent injury or death

3) an objectively reasonable degree of force, used in response 

4) an objectively reasonable fear of injury or death.

you could argue that condition 1 was met here though if I were a lawyer I’d say screaming at man’s wife and child would be deemed a provocation.   The pusher backing way invalidates condition 2 and pulling a gun against a push invalidates condition 3.  The age disparity might make 4 valid, but that doesn’t change the other conditions not being met.  

Edited: 7/23/18 2:30 PM
5/11/11

I’m gonna go around yelling at people’s wives and kids so when the husband gets mad and puts a finger in my chest I can blow his head off in front of everyone, smile at the family, and get away with it.

7/23/18 2:01 PM
7/12/14

Watched this video and I still don't understand how this guy can go free. He clearly was shoved for being a dick but how that translates to being cleared to be shoot a man dead is beyond me. Any dickhead can own a gun. It takes intelligence to know when to use it.  

7/23/18 2:06 PM
7/10/06
BJ Penn Forever - Honestly both dudes were out of line, normal people don't approach strangers about parking in handicapped spots, normal people don't push people to the ground who are bitching about parking in the spot and normal people damn sure don't commit murder after being pushed.

This.

Edited: 7/23/18 2:10 PM
4/11/14

The problem is that this event does not scale. In other words, if all ccw holders acted like this dipshit then ccw rights would be gone within a few years. A properly written and enforced law should be scaleable without becoming a farce.

This is Florida of course, barely a functioning state so we must keep that in mind.

Edited: 7/23/18 2:35 PM
3/13/18

The victim is not the husband and is not part of the equation.. He was in the store when the parking space discussion started. More importantly what motivates someone to park in a handcap spot to begin with? I wonder did she not want to and he said go for it? Did they both giggle as she pulled into the spot. Or were they blissfully unaware, couldnt give a shit and thought nothing of it? Why did she not sheepishly acknowledge her mistake and simply move?

There's a spot even closer to the front door:

They stopped at the Circle A Food Store at 1201 Sunset Point Road on the way home from picking Jacobs up from her job as a certified nursing assistant to grab chips and drinks. Jacobs parked in the handicap spot, she said, because the parking lot was busy and they were just stopping for a minute.

7/23/18 2:30 PM
6/10/03

From the beginning everyone should have handled things better. Dont park in a handicap stall dont be a parking lot monitor dont shove an old guy and dont shoot if at all possible. 

With that said its rather easy to see why things turned out the way they did. The old guy has every right to say something about them parking there.  The guy had NO right to come and shove him to the ground. Once the shove happnes the guy hits the ground draws and shoots under 5 seconds.   He was just blind sided probably really disoriented and even more probable really scared.  He reacted to some large man shoving him to the ground for no reason. Its unfortunate the dude had to die for just trying to be a tough guy but the old guy doesn’t deserve to go to jail over it. 

7/23/18 2:34 PM
3/13/18

Handicap spot they chose to park in:

https://imgur.com/a/z26l1QJ

7/23/18 2:36 PM
12/28/10
Akkadian88 -
Samoa -
effertime -

All the tough/big guys think he should just "throw them hands". Thats obviously what big or tough guys think, they prefer to have an advantage in a violent situation.

When a smaller or less athletic person pulls out a weapon, all of a sudden its not fair and he's a pussy. But of course, they never think they're being pussies when they're fighting people smaller than them. 

Dont be violent and you wont get shot, or stabbed or whatever. Simple.

Don’t provoke situations when you are carrying your gun. It’s in the training to get a CCW.  

Florida is a shall issue state. There is no training required. 

That’s not what “shall issue” means. “Shall issue” means that the state must issue a CCHL to an applicant, provided the person has completed the requisite training, classes, and passes a background check. 

7/23/18 3:18 PM
7/15/02

https://www.nationalreview.com/2018/07/mcglockton-shooting-gun-owners-outraged/amp/#click=https://t.co/fsLdu91MGQ

7/23/18 3:36 PM
8/5/09
JimLahey -
ReeferMadness -

Total Pussy. Harassing the dude's lady over a parking violation.

Who appointed this guy to police the parking rules at 7-11 anyway?

The guy pushed him once and backed away.  There was no assault in progress so no reason to shoot.  It seems like the guy was just a racist looking for an excuse to blow a black dude away.  He should do serious time. 

Lurk more, faggot.

Suck it, bitch made 

7/23/18 3:50 PM
8/5/09
Piyo -

https://www.nationalreview.com/2018/07/mcglockton-shooting-gun-owners-outraged/amp/#click=https://t.co/fsLdu91MGQ

That provides some necessary perspective.  thanks for posting

7/23/18 3:58 PM
7/3/13
People need to stop referring to the shooter as an "old man". Dude is 47.
7/23/18 3:59 PM
7/3/13
ReeferMadness - 
Piyo -

That provides some necessary perspective.  thanks for posting

Yup, this intuitively makes a lot more sense than some forum posters' interpretation of the law.
7/23/18 4:00 PM
11/17/10
CyberPunk - People need to stop referring to the shooter as an "old man". Dude is 47.

aka, an "old man"

unless he is one of those OGer testosterone injecting, tinder dating, gym hitting, taking care of yourself type of 47 yr olds

Edited: 7/23/18 4:05 PM
6/13/03

7/23/18 4:17 PM
7/3/13
Low T Low IQ - 
CyberPunk - People need to stop referring to the shooter as an "old man". Dude is 47.

aka, an "old man"

unless he is one of those OGer testosterone injecting, tinder dating, gym hitting, taking care of yourself type of 47 yr olds

Really? 47 is considered an old man now?

Middle aged for sure, but not an old man. Granted this guy looked in bad shape for his age.
7/23/18 4:31 PM
7/15/02
CyberPunk -
Low T Low IQ - 

aka, an "old man"

Middle aged for sure, but not an old man. Granted this guy looked in bad shape for his age.

Definitely not an “old man”.

7/23/18 4:33 PM
7/15/02
Piyo -
CyberPunk -
Low T Low IQ - 

aka, an "old man"

Definitely not an “old man”.

http://time.com/money/4812751/this-is-the-age-when-you-become-old-according-to-four-different-generations/

7/23/18 4:40 PM
2/20/09
surf2live -

From the beginning everyone should have handled things better. Dont park in a handicap stall dont be a parking lot monitor dont shove an old guy and dont shoot if at all possible. 

With that said its rather easy to see why things turned out the way they did. The old guy has every right to say something about them parking there.  The guy had NO right to come and shove him to the ground. Once the shove happnes the guy hits the ground draws and shoots under 5 seconds.   He was just blind sided probably really disoriented and even more probable really scared.  He reacted to some large man shoving him to the ground for no reason. Its unfortunate the dude had to die for just trying to be a tough guy but the old guy doesn’t deserve to go to jail over it. 

Lol, what?

shoved him for no reason?  If I come out of a store and see you yelling at, hassling, etc. my old lady you can bet your ass I’m getting involved.

Was that shove a bit much?  Perhaps.  In my opinion was dipshit pussy faggot then cleared to execute a guy?  I don’t believe he was.  Do you know how long 5 seconds is?  It was long enough for the guy who shoved him to take a step a back when he drew.  I believe it was definitely long enough for Toughguy to do the math in his head and decide he’d get away with it and then do what he’s been itching to do:  shoot someone.

I guess it’s “legal” but it’s also ridiculous.  Anyone who says otherwise has an agenda and is looking to validate some dumb shit to prove a point or win an argument.

How is it reasonable for an armed individual to appoint themselves Parking Lot Police?

I agree that everyone involved could have handled that better but the rest of your post is mildly ridiculous.

7/23/18 5:25 PM
6/8/08
donkypunch55 -
surf2live -

Lol, what?

shoved him for no reason?  If I come out of a store and see you yelling at, hassling, etc. my old lady you can bet your ass I’m getting involved.

Was that shove a bit much?  Perhaps.  In my opinion was dipshit pussy faggot then cleared to execute a guy?  I don’t believe he was.  Do you know how long 5 seconds is?  It was long enough for the guy who shoved him to take a step a back when he drew.  I believe it was definitely long enough for Toughguy to do the math in his head and decide he’d get away with it and then do what he’s been itching to do:  shoot someone.

I guess it’s “legal” but it’s also ridiculous.  Anyone who says otherwise has an agenda and is looking to validate some dumb shit to prove a point or win an argument.

How is it reasonable for an armed individual to appoint themselves Parking Lot Police?

I agree that everyone involved could have handled that better but the rest of your post is mildly ridiculous.

+1

7/23/18 5:56 PM
10/15/07

I ain’t no killer just don’t push me.