OtherGround Forums Florida Man Stands his Ground over Parking Dispute

7/27/18 6:43 PM
6/29/09
logic672 - 
sewich -
pfsjkd -
sewich -

A good way to not get shot is to not assault a angry stranger in a parking lot. 

That doesn’t absolve somebody from a bad shoot. 

No, buts it's good advice.   Stupid to engage physically with some stranger in a parking lot.  

Yes, and it's also good advice to exercise daily. But it's also irrelevant to whether this shoot was good or not. 

semantics...the guy is dead. he wouldnt be, at least right there, if he hadnt done what he did.
7/28/18 1:00 AM
1/1/01
morotetsuke -
logic672 - 
sewich -
pfsjkd -
sewich -

No, buts it's good advice.   Stupid to engage physically with some stranger in a parking lot.  

Yes, and it's also good advice to exercise daily. But it's also irrelevant to whether this shoot was good or not. 

semantics...the guy is dead. he wouldnt be, at least right there, if he hadnt done what he did.

Still not the point. 

7/28/18 1:18 AM
1/1/01
Never_rolled -
pfsjkd -
morotetsuke -
logic672 - 
sewich -
pfsjkd -
sewich -

Still not the point. 

It may not be YOUR point but it is one of many points, yours included. 

Average already effectively killed that argument. 

7/28/18 2:44 AM
3/6/07
ranier wolfcastle -
jkd4200 - 
holly9000 - Be careful who you push around

And be careful when you yell and intimidate women. Someone may push you out of the way. 

And if if you are a little scared white boy you may shoot the scary black man standing up for his family. 

he was talkin to the woman while she was in her car, 4 feet away.  not too intimidating.

she got out of the car to get in his face just as pusher arrived...

He verbally attacked her. Why else was she going to get out. She felt threatened. 

7/28/18 3:10 AM
1/27/14

It’s pretty obvious the ccw asshole was looking for an altercation for a while. It’s also obvious he was no longer in danger when he pulled the trigger. I’m all for self defense as a libertarian can be but I also have respect for all life and this situation isn’t worthy of shooting someone 

7/28/18 3:21 AM
6/8/08
Zero G01 -

Why do idiots on this thread keep acting like the guy talking to the person about their illegal parking is the same as an unprovoked physical attack? Dude was defending his family from words, he should have used words as well. The moment you go tough guy and attack it can mean the end of your life. Don't go all tough guy mr badass unless you are ready for that.

Okay, we got it: 

- When you keep coming back to parking lots to get into disputes with strangers and go as far as to threaten to shoot them, so often you get the police called on you, you should not expect to be shoved. 

- When you shove someone, you should expect to be shot dead. 

Yes, sounds like you would make a great King. 

7/28/18 5:07 AM
5/18/18

So let me get this straight, this guy is all tough when it’s a lady by herself but when he gets pushed down he is all of a sudden afraid for his life and he magically pulls a gun and shoots the guy. 

Where I come from that just sounds like a pussy who has a gun and wants to go around acting tough waiting for the chance to shoot someone and get away with it. 

That guy wasn’t even handicapped and looking for a parking spot. He wanted to be Joe Cop and go around enforcing handicap parking laws.  

That guy is a murderer and needs life in prison or the death penalty 

7/28/18 5:12 AM
2/20/09
CMFanforlife -

So let me get this straight, this guy is all tough when it’s a lady by herself but when he gets pushed down he is all of a sudden afraid for his life and he magically pulls a gun and shoots the guy. 

Where I come from that just sounds like a pussy who has a gun and wants to go around acting tough waiting for the chance to shoot someone and get away with it. 

That guy wasn’t even handicapped and looking for a parking spot. He wanted to be Joe Cop and go around enforcing handicap parking laws.  

That guy is a murderer and needs life in prison or the death penalty 

Not just where you come from.

anywhere.  Using any measure of reason.

That coward initiated this situation praying for this outcome.

I’m as pro 2-A/SYG/CCW as they come and this situation is disgusting.

7/28/18 5:13 AM
2/20/09
Average -
Zero G01 -

Why do idiots on this thread keep acting like the guy talking to the person about their illegal parking is the same as an unprovoked physical attack? Dude was defending his family from words, he should have used words as well. The moment you go tough guy and attack it can mean the end of your life. Don't go all tough guy mr badass unless you are ready for that.

Okay, we got it: 

- When you keep coming back to parking lots to get into disputes with strangers and go as far as to threaten to shoot them, so often you get the police called on you, you should not expect to be shoved. 

- When you shove someone, you should expect to be shot dead. 

Yes, sounds like you would make a great King. 

I was going to respond to that clown but you seem to have handled it.

7/28/18 5:52 AM
12/31/05
Average -
holly9000 - Just out of curiosity how far apart do you think our positions are here? I don't think that guy deserved to get killed for what he did. It was stupid, and violent and uncalled for. But did he deserve to die for it? Of course not.

Did the shooter have the right to kill him? Absolutely. Those are 2 different questions though. The law agrees with me on the shooter's rights.

Is the law morally correct? Therein lies the real question; I think it is.

When the pusher started the encounter with a violent act there was no way for anyone else to understand how threatened the shooter felt when he hit the ground. Unless you're under attack it's pretty hard to imagine how you'd react. It's a lot easier to watch a video and armchair quarterback the situation. If you have a propensity towards violence, it might seem like the shooter went overboard. If you're a meeker person with a less than confrontational disposition you might feel otherwise. The fact is there was no way to know what would happen next just as there was no way to go back and un-start the encounter. IMO the benefit of the doubt has to go to the person who got attacked.

I believe that there's no place in a civilized society for problem solving through violent methods. That's a big reason that our society is so fucked up to begin with. A "shoot first and ask questions later" attitude is outdated and needs to be replaced by honest, sober dialog. That's the only way we can change the world for the better.

The bottom line is if the pusher had come out and assessed, and de-escalated the situation instead of acting out violently he probably would be alive today.

I feel sorry for his family but I understand the essential need to have laws protecting society from that sort of behavior in general.

Your (and a fistful of others) basically keep repeating this point: 

1) the law enabled him to elect to end this man. So he's in the clear there. 

2) practical/moral view: The murdered man should have known better than to push a total stranger.

So some of you say, it was the victim's responsability to not push a man, in order not to open the possibility of being murdered. 

BUT: The murder was there in the parkinglot, had his weapon on him and HE chose to engange strangers on his own. If he would follow the rules you want to push on the victim, he would NOT have engaged anybody in that parking lot. He would have ignored it, or, if justice is important to him, he could have called the cop. There was NO NEED to engange them, just as you say there was no need for the murdered person to engange the old man. Old man had other things on his mind though. 

Again: It was NOT his first time, store owner said he was a trouble maker, had the police called on him previously and had threatened to shoot someone at least once before. So NO, he was not there to deescalate anything. In contrary. 

This^

My god this forum is full of absolute morons.

7/28/18 7:38 AM
6/26/06
OpenedUp - 

It’s pretty obvious the ccw asshole was looking for an altercation for a while. It’s also obvious he was no longer in danger when he pulled the trigger. I’m all for self defense as a libertarian can be but I also have respect for all life and this situation isn’t worthy of shooting someone 

Its pretty obvious you dont understand how the law and society actually work.

lol @ all the pro gun, pro ccw, pro 2A pretenders on this thread. "I believe in the 2A and SYG but but but vagina vagina vagina"

God Bles America.

#MAGA
7/28/18 7:53 AM
1/27/14
RenatoCocopreta -
OpenedUp - 

lol @ all the pro gun, pro ccw, pro 2A pretenders on this thread. "I believe in the 2A and SYG but but but vagina vagina vagina"

God Bles America.

#MAGA

I understand how that law works and I understand that it emboldeneds assholes like this guy to take a life when it’s unnecessary. Dude is backing up, no longer a threat. 

7/28/18 8:11 AM
1/1/01
Zero G01 - 

Pussy says what??
7/28/18 8:28 AM
2/27/11

LOL 32 pages.... Of people repeating the same bullshit and then saying fuck your mother... Why do ya'll even engage these dumbasses

7/28/18 8:52 AM
6/26/06
OpenedUp - 
RenatoCocopreta -
OpenedUp - 

God Bles America.

#MAGA

I understand how that law works and I understand that it emboldeneds assholes like this guy to take a life when it’s unnecessary. Dude is backing up, no longer a threat. 

What if he walks forward again? See how stupid your reasoning is? The violent slam plus his proximity equals deadly threat, plain and simple, end of story.

He wont be charged because there is zero legal case against him, better believe they wish they could because the backlash will be monstrous, but they cant. Legally the shooter is solid as a rock, cant be touched.
7/28/18 10:58 AM
7/20/12
If the push caused the shooter to fall back, hit his head and die would the pusher be charged with murder?
7/28/18 11:14 AM
6/1/10

On Florida what stops two dudes with a weapon from having a gun battle? Like could the survivor just say I was standing my ground he drew first

7/28/18 11:16 AM
6/26/06
OliverHumperdink - If the push caused the shooter to fall back, hit his head and die would the pusher be charged with murder?

According to the fake NRA members on this thread, he would only get charged with a schoolyard infraction and sentenced to no recess tomorrow.
7/28/18 11:16 AM
6/1/10

Did that black lady every go free when she’s shot at her crazy ex bf who had been trying to choke and kill her with her daughter present? She shot a warning shot into a wall and last I heard was doing 20 years.

7/28/18 11:22 AM
1/27/14
RenatoCocopreta -
OpenedUp - 
RenatoCocopreta -
OpenedUp - 

God Bles America.

#MAGA

What if he walks forward again? See how stupid your reasoning is? The violent slam plus his proximity equals deadly threat, plain and simple, end of story.

He wont be charged because there is zero legal case against him, better believe they wish they could because the backlash will be monstrous, but they cant. Legally the shooter is solid as a rock, cant be touched.

If he walks forward again while your gun is drawn then shoot, a retreating person isn’t a threat. A ccw holder that has any respect for the responsibility of that wouldn’t have inserted himself in an argument in the first place 

7/28/18 11:39 AM
6/26/06
OpenedUp - 
RenatoCocopreta -
OpenedUp - 
RenatoCocopreta -
OpenedUp - 

God Bles America.

#MAGA

If he walks forward again while your gun is drawn then shoot, a retreating person isn’t a threat. A ccw holder that has any respect for the responsibility of that wouldn’t have inserted himself in an argument in the first place 

Its not a hokey pokey dance dumbass. A step back is meaningless in the course of a violent assault, it does not reduce the threat one bit. But me my guest and find out the hard way, go shove some people to the ground then try to get them not to shoot you.
7/28/18 11:45 AM
3/14/04
gabemadrid - 

Did that black lady every go free when she’s shot at her crazy ex bf who had been trying to choke and kill her with her daughter present? She shot a warning shot into a wall and last I heard was doing 20 years.

That's just one of the retarded parts of FL gun laws.  if you pull a gun in self defense and just brandish it or fire a warning shot, you are fucked.  But if you shoot the attacker, you're fine.

7/28/18 12:28 PM
6/30/03
morotetsuke -
logic672 - 
sewich -
pfsjkd -
sewich -

He also wouldn't be dead if he instead decided not to get out of bed in the morning and instead binge watch The Sopranos. 

Again, while true, irrelevant as to the question of whether this was a good shoot or not. 

7/28/18 1:01 PM
1/1/01

Since the woman illegally parking could have had a gun, shouldn't the shoved hero have shot her too?

7/28/18 1:35 PM
12/16/10

I am not reading all you faggots nonsence, so did this guy get away with it or what?