9/17/20 8:31 PM
7/15/02

Can TomatoCan admit he was wrong?
9/17/20 8:43 PM
7/15/02

Nothing to suggest Sweden is immune, except everything
9/17/20 8:44 PM
4/3/20

Is it nice having alcohol again in restaurants under certain strict circumstances now that fuhrer desantis has once again finally allowed it? 

9/17/20 8:54 PM
7/15/02
VirusHoax -

Is it nice having alcohol again in restaurants under certain strict circumstances now that fuhrer desantis has once again finally allowed it? 

I’m sure it is. You’re absolutely correct that even Florida overreacted. A more accurate title would have been “Florida does it tighter than blue states and most of Europe”.

9/18/20 5:14 PM
7/15/02

Canada walks back because, again, suppression strategy is uworkable, and mitigation definitely does not result in catastrophe

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/sep/17/canada-ontario-new-restrictions-steep-fines-covid-19-surge

9/18/20 6:51 PM
11/24/09
Piyo -

Canada walks back because, again, suppression strategy is uworkable, and mitigation definitely does not result in catastrophe

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/sep/17/canada-ontario-new-restrictions-steep-fines-covid-19-surge

there is 60 ppl in the hospital out of 14 million better shut it down 

9/18/20 8:12 PM
9/8/02
Despite COVID-19 economic shutdown, Florida retains AAA bond rating
9/20/20 11:07 AM
7/15/02

https://www.dw.com/en/coronavirus-digest-germany-sees-highest-daily-infection-rate-since-april/a-54984329

Edited: 9/29/20 9:46 AM
7/15/02
prof - 

Ok I’m sold.

Most immunologists and health experts have said at this point natural  herd immunity looks like a dangerous pipe dream and that a vaccine is our way out of this (while minimizing infections/death until then).

But the intuitions and Bro Science thoughts from these fine OGers going against the expert consensus is just too compelling.

Now that it is clear that Sweden has attained natural, effective herd immunity with hardly any impact on overall mortality for October 2019 through August 2020, can we agree that my "Bro Science" was right and that "most immunologists and health experts" were wrong?

It was not a dangerous pipe dream. End of story.

9/22/20 8:57 AM
7/15/02

Canada starts clamping down again
9/22/20 12:06 PM
5/30/03
Piyo -

But people died! 

9/22/20 4:09 PM
7/15/02
The Maestro -
Piyo -

But people died! 

Indeed. Only the Trudeau magic can stop people from dying.

As Canada’s cases start steadily outpacing Florida’s, prof will either hide or come back some new tortured stat...”if you only look at Wednesdays since this thread started more people named Molly have gotten COVID in Florida!”

9/22/20 8:43 PM
7/15/02

Time for a review

Canada had more cases than Florida today and is still trending up, whereas Florida is trending down. Canada is tightening restrictions, and Florida is loosening.

Sweden is about the only European country without a resurgence, except maybe shitty Finland, which will get there eventually.

Overwheming evidence that Sweden has achieved effective herd immunity.

Overwhelming evidence that pre-existing T cells from other coronaviruses confer substantial resistance.

*Ceiling* estimate for population-weighted IFR in the US is .6%.

Almost every enlightened country lauded for their management of COVID is surging again and adding restrictions.

I’ll wait and see if VirusHoax or TomatoCan or prof are manly enough to concede any points.

9/23/20 9:42 AM
4/3/20
making the same brain dead point a million times doesn't make it a million times better. zero people set the expectation that measures to control spread are going to guarantee no future spikes. the idea that a spike = failure and proof that measures shouldn't have been taken is a retarded invention of your own. looking forward to the "zomg latvia is up now! i told you you guys were wrong!" chart of the day.

florida shut down bars for 2 months, lol. while they remained open in the areas you are criticizing. directly in response to a surge. its exactly the same restriction that a canada or finland would do that you continue to complain about. i have no idea how in the world this is still the case study in letting spread to occur to achieve herd immunity to you.
9/23/20 1:47 PM
9/8/02
It's a virus, it's utterly pointless to compares regions of the United States, much less the world. There are cultural differences, infrastructure differences, density differences, and differences in the quality of care. All of this comparing is laughable and again done to chalk up political points for one side.

To me it comes down to one simple point. The lockdowns were sold to us as a way of flattening the curve. Not preventing deaths, not preventing cases, but rather ensuring everyone did not get sick at once and overrun the hospitals. The entire premise of the lockdown was focused only on dragging the virus out over a long period of time which would mean everyone would not get sick at once.

The hospitals never came close to breaking, nothing is at peak capacity. You cannot stop a microscopic virus with these stupid arbiturary rules that unquestionably kill the economy and only argably help fight the virus.

Oh, the French Open can have fans in the Semi-Finals and Finals, but none of the rounds before that? Does the virus suddenly know how far a player has advanced in tournament before striking? In London, pubs have to close at 11PM now, I guess the virus only comes out after mid-night.

This is all insanity. The hospitals are well positioned to deal with the virus, we have 8 months of data that shows most Americans under 70 years of age are at no-risk of dying from this thing...it's time to open up. Lock Grandma away if you're terrified, have Amazon fresh drop off her groceries and be intelligent, i.e., if you are front line medical worker, maybe hold of on that orgie until next year. There rest of you, go live your life. You might get a mild virus. Who cares at least you will be paying your mortgage and keeping your businesses afloat.
9/23/20 2:38 PM
7/15/02
VirusHoax - making the same brain dead point a million times doesn't make it a million times better. zero people set the expectation that measures to control spread are going to guarantee no future spikes. the idea that a spike = failure and proof that measures shouldn't have been taken is a retarded invention of your own. looking forward to the "zomg latvia is up now! i told you you guys were wrong!" chart of the day.

florida shut down bars for 2 months, lol. while they remained open in the areas you are criticizing. directly in response to a surge. its exactly the same restriction that a canada or finland would do that you continue to complain about. i have no idea how in the world this is still the case study in letting spread to occur to achieve herd immunity to you.

You’re changing stances as it suits you. Florida either 1) did something very similar to these other countries and locations, or 2) did something different.

If (1), then what are you criticizing them for? If (2), then the fact that these other locations are headed for the same scenario means, as I contend, these forced social distancing actions are in the end meaningless. 

9/23/20 3:24 PM
4/3/20
Piyo - 
VirusHoax - making the same brain dead point a million times doesn't make it a million times better. zero people set the expectation that measures to control spread are going to guarantee no future spikes. the idea that a spike = failure and proof that measures shouldn't have been taken is a retarded invention of your own. looking forward to the "zomg latvia is up now! i told you you guys were wrong!" chart of the day.

You’re changing stances as it suits you. Florida either 1) did something very similar to these other countries and locations, or 2) did something different.

If (1), then what are you criticizing them for? If (2), then the fact that these other locations are headed for the same scenario means, as I contend, these forced social distancing actions are in the end meaningless. 

walk through florida's opening and compare it to their spike. they continuing to open as their cases were rising, which was stupid. they realized this and rolled back their opening. see, also: texas. the decision to rollback is a de facto admission that they were wrong for opening in the way they did. desantis agrees with me, obviously.

yes, many of the forced distancing regulations are ridiculous/meaningless in practice. i agree with you. as an example, my high school son is currently playing soccer with a mask on his chin. but that doesn't mean that full capacity nightclubs are a good idea.
9/23/20 5:42 PM
7/15/02
VirusHoax -
Piyo - 

walk through florida's opening and compare it to their spike. they continuing to open as their cases were rising, which was stupid. they realized this and rolled back their opening. see, also: texas. the decision to rollback is a de facto admission that they were wrong for opening in the way they did. desantis agrees with me, obviously.

yes, many of the forced distancing regulations are ridiculous/meaningless in practice. i agree with you. as an example, my high school son is currently playing soccer with a mask on his chin. but that doesn't mean that full capacity nightclubs are a good idea.

No. Continuing to open despite rising cases was smart. They committed a relatively small misstep compared to some other places when part of the state closed bars.

The reason it was smart to keep reopening is because the evidence overwhelmingly suggests that the virus can only be delayed. Their hospitals were never overwhelmed. 

9/24/20 9:51 AM
7/15/02

Look, some more online trolls doing Bro Science

“Conclusions and Relevance: COVID-19 infection may have spread widely across the general population of Tokyo despite the very low fatality rate. Given the temporal correlation between the rise in seropositivity and the decrease in reported COVID-19 cases that occurred without a shut-down, herd immunity may be implicated. Sequential testing for serological response against COVID-19 is useful for understanding the dynamics of COVID-19 infection at the population-level.”

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.09.21.20198796v1.full.pdf

9/24/20 10:10 AM
4/3/20
Piyo - 
VirusHoax -
Piyo - 

No. Continuing to open despite rising cases was smart. They committed a relatively small misstep compared to some other places when part of the state closed bars.

The reason it was smart to keep reopening is because the evidence overwhelmingly suggests that the virus can only be delayed. Their hospitals were never overwhelmed. 

florida disagrees with you. if closing bars state wide for 2 months while they remained open in areas of the country that you have been criticizing is a "relatively small misstep" then what is a major misstep?

schools are still closed in miami, lol.

florida, doing it right with their sad closed bars and their students stuck at home.
9/24/20 10:29 AM
7/15/02
VirusHoax -
Piyo - 
VirusHoax -
Piyo - 

florida disagrees with you. if closing bars state wide for 2 months while they remained open in areas of the country that you have been criticizing is a "relatively small misstep" then what is a major misstep?

schools are still closed in miami, lol.

florida, doing it right with their sad closed bars and their students stuck at home.

I have already said that if the title would have fit I would have written “Florida doing it more right than most of the world”. The governor can’t force stupid democrats in Miami to open schools.

But you’re just trying to carve off a tiny point to save face. You *know* the controversy over Florida, the thing that earned them scorn from NYT and others was them *not* shutting down to the same degree as NY and CA, that is, the part they did right. The evidence is now undeniable that a herd immunity approach was reasonable and was definitely not going to result in millions dead, that IFRs were drastically overstated, that real world herd immunity thresholds are well below 60-70%, etc. 

9/24/20 12:24 PM
4/3/20
lol at this. of course he can. in fact, the governor already requires a 5 day in class option for all students across the state through the state education department. it is the states's choice whether to grant a waiver to local districts based on their local situation and they did grant a waiver to miami dade. so, you are wrong about this, too. florida is handling their largest school district the same way that new york and illinois and california is. strike that, actually. NYC is back in the classroom. (florida, doing it right though!)

the early reporting about florida beaches and such was bullshit. i never understood it really, especially from the times as parks in NY remained open all along at all levels (state, county, local) and it was not considered controversial although distancing was stressed.

you continue to invent the goal of local statewide herd immunity just like you invented the goal of lockdowns preventing outbreaks. florida's OWN ACTIONS with bars and schools and probably a lot of other actions should demonstrate to you that they aren't doing what you think they are doing.
9/24/20 12:39 PM
4/3/20
broward not in the classroom either, lol. #doingitright
9/24/20 1:38 PM
1/1/01
VirusHoax - broward not in the classroom either, lol. #doingitright

I agree.  Broward and Miami-Dade should be in school.