OtherGround Forums For You Guys Over 40...What Are You Doing?

5/21/19 5:53 PM
5/20/19

What are you doing to improve your health? 

I know that as you reach 40, you often realize people around you are falling to the ills of getting older. Maybe your sister gets Diabetes. Maybe a friend of yours has heart disease. After a while, you start to realize that if you don't make changes you're going to have some issues soon. Maybe you already do have issues and you're trying to do better? 

What are you doing to extend your life and/or just have a better quality of life? 

Have you given up tacos? Are you using Butter with Stanols and Sterols? Are you on a Statin or Blood pressure medication? Did you give up meat? 

Or are you the kind of guy that is like screw it, you can do all this but I'm going to die anyway if there's something wrong with my body or genes. So you just drink as much as you want and eat whatever you want. 

5/21/19 5:54 PM
1/1/01

Im pushing 50 and life isn't too bad, I can still find the hole buddy

5/21/19 5:56 PM
5/20/19

Edited: 5/21/19 6:00 PM
4/1/10

I am not over 40, but when I cruised into my thirties my main concern was heart health. Gotta have a strong ticker!

Running, cycling, and swimming.

Diet wise I keep it reasonable.

Only fri - sun dinners are whatever I want, but usually not anything too bad.

All other meals are targeted to be healthy.

I wanted to enter my 40s with a strong ticker and not fat. So far looking good.

5/21/19 6:03 PM
2/16/05

Watch my diet. Yoga three times a week. Spin Bike three times a week. Stretch. Stretch. Stretch. 

Edited: 5/21/19 6:03 PM
8/1/13

Love seeing you back in the OG OP...

I am the last guy who should be participating in the thread due to shitting blood 2 weekends ago, back to normal now, having follow up exams.

I leave it to the OG experts.

5/21/19 6:04 PM
1/1/01

thats me my man

5/21/19 6:07 PM
8/20/03

I'm naked a lot.

5/21/19 6:08 PM
11/8/09

I’ve just always played sports my whole life. I’ve never really changed much.

I still drink, but I drink less. I don’t always eat well, but I’m not really a pig either.

I stretch a little more than I used to, but I don’t stretch enough.

I started lifting weights a few years ago, but I don’t really do anything too heavy or strenuous.

I was never really a multivitamin taker, but I think I’ll start taking something. 

I dont really have too much interest in competing anymore, but I still spar with the team. So I feel pretty banged up sometimes. I may or may not start dialing that back a little over the next few years. I’m getting tired of other guys’ training camps. 

I’ll be 43 in a few days and I’ve played contact sports since I was 10 or 12. Whatever age they start you hitting in hockey. I’ve never not played a contact sport since then. I feel the mileage some days, and that makes me think it’s time to start paying a little more attention to my general health. Especially because I’d like to continue playing my sports. I don’t know what I’d do without them. 

5/21/19 6:11 PM
3/20/15

Let you know in a couple weeks. Dr, wants a full blood pressure test ( ive been doing it for 2 months at home, avg 120/80) and another cholestorol. Overall Cholestorol is high but my good to bad ratio is in the 110th percentile ( the bad fills in arterial damge, the good removes the excess) Statins are the biggest pharmeutical scam around. Unless you've already fucked up your arteries, then chelation therapy can clean your arteries out but it would cut into the trillion dollar statin business. Going to ask for a stress test also.

Have cut smoking from a pack a day to a pack per week (weekends when socializing) but will end that soon too. Do curcuits 2 to 3 x per week with free weights and treadmill ( mostly just climb on treadmill from 2 - 10 then back down, 15 to 18 minutes)

5/21/19 6:22 PM
1/1/01
Later
Edited: 5/21/19 6:23 PM
3/28/10

Cholesterol is good for us. 

Stop eating sugar and flour and vegetable oils. 

5/21/19 6:23 PM
8/26/18

I scrub my dick and balls twice as long as I did in my thirties. 

5/21/19 6:40 PM
7/31/06

Brb my Ring camera just informed me that some kids are cutting through, instead of following sidewalk.   Yelling at them to get off my lawn...

Um what was the question?

5/21/19 6:45 PM
9/29/02
BJJ, CrossFit, yoga, fish oil, real food.
5/21/19 6:52 PM
1/1/01
Mid 50's

I bike a couple days a week, I have an older road bike but dont need the newest.

I still lift, watch what I eat, drink water almost all the time, do karate.

My wife and i were just talking about sprinting and running today. They have competitions for older groups

I still think I am 28 and injure myself now and then. Still look at girls in their 20's and give a smile

My mother is in a home, all these people with skin and muscle hanging on their bodies, I am working hard to make sure I am not that way at that age.

5/21/19 6:54 PM
5/17/19

Resistance training, lighten the weight and move slow. Do you every exercise with the best posture possible. It’s the best exercises

Eat healthy. Avoid sugar. Make all your food at home. Try not to drink too much liquor. Don’t eat too much. You don’t need as much food as you think. Drink water.

Hit the sauna most days of the week.

Go to the doctor and get check ups regularly. 

Shoot for eight hours of sleep a night.

Lots of sex with young ladies helps.

5/21/19 9:20 PM
5/20/19
King Trav - 

I’ve just always played sports my whole life. I’ve never really changed much.

I still drink, but I drink less. I don’t always eat well, but I’m not really a pig either.

I stretch a little more than I used to, but I don’t stretch enough.

I started lifting weights a few years ago, but I don’t really do anything too heavy or strenuous.

I was never really a multivitamin taker, but I think I’ll start taking something. 

I dont really have too much interest in competing anymore, but I still spar with the team. So I feel pretty banged up sometimes. I may or may not start dialing that back a little over the next few years. I’m getting tired of other guys’ training camps. 

I’ll be 43 in a few days and I’ve played contact sports since I was 10 or 12. Whatever age they start you hitting in hockey. I’ve never not played a contact sport since then. I feel the mileage some days, and that makes me think it’s time to start paying a little more attention to my general health. Especially because I’d like to continue playing my sports. I don’t know what I’d do without them. 

Yeah man, I don't drink like I used to either. 

5/21/19 9:20 PM
5/20/19
RhinoHog - 

Let you know in a couple weeks. Dr, wants a full blood pressure test ( ive been doing it for 2 months at home, avg 120/80) and another cholestorol. Overall Cholestorol is high but my good to bad ratio is in the 110th percentile ( the bad fills in arterial damge, the good removes the excess) Statins are the biggest pharmeutical scam around. Unless you've already fucked up your arteries, then chelation therapy can clean your arteries out but it would cut into the trillion dollar statin business. Going to ask for a stress test also.

Have cut smoking from a pack a day to a pack per week (weekends when socializing) but will end that soon too. Do curcuits 2 to 3 x per week with free weights and treadmill ( mostly just climb on treadmill from 2 - 10 then back down, 15 to 18 minutes)

GOod luck on the tests man

5/21/19 9:21 PM
5/20/19
Dark Knight - Mid 50's

I bike a couple days a week, I have an older road bike but dont need the newest.

I still lift, watch what I eat, drink water almost all the time, do karate.

My wife and i were just talking about sprinting and running today. They have competitions for older groups

I still think I am 28 and injure myself now and then. Still look at girls in their 20's and give a smile

My mother is in a home, all these people with skin and muscle hanging on their bodies, I am working hard to make sure I am not that way at that age.

Dude I hear you. I don't want to be a flabby useless shit when I'm 70 either. I will do all I can to avoid that scenario. I want to wipe my own ass thank you very much.

5/21/19 9:22 PM
5/20/19
Oldskewl - 

Resistance training, lighten the weight and move slow. Do you every exercise with the best posture possible. It’s the best exercises

Eat healthy. Avoid sugar. Make all your food at home. Try not to drink too much liquor. Don’t eat too much. You don’t need as much food as you think. Drink water.

Hit the sauna most days of the week.

Go to the doctor and get check ups regularly. 

Shoot for eight hours of sleep a night.

Lots of sex with young ladies helps.

Nice plan you have there man. I can't say I can beat it. 

5/21/19 9:23 PM
5/20/19
camicom - 

I am the last guy who should be participating in the thread due to shitting blood 2 weekends ago, back to normal now, having follow up exams.

Thanks man. 

Dude man, yeah get to the doctor man, though it seems like you are. Be careful dude. 

5/21/19 9:25 PM
6/10/08

resting the next 3 or 4 months.... I’m 42.
5/21/19 9:26 PM
1/1/01

I still love training bjj, boxing (but just pad work,  bag work,  etc no sparring anymore) and shooting,  hiking,  lifting.  I feel like if I stay active and eat sensibly and don't train like a retard I can still do whatever I want.  

5/21/19 9:26 PM
8/1/13
HoneyGlazedJinx -
camicom - 

Thanks man. 

Dude man, yeah get to the doctor man, though it seems like you are. Be careful dude. 

Thanks man