OtherGround Forums Foreigners: what is your opinion of the US rn?

13 days ago
9/20/19

And Americans in general. More specifically how we’re addressing the virus. 

Be honest. Also, other than how you feel, what is the general consensus among your fellow citizens? How are we being portrayed by different sects of the media? How do we come across vs Russia and China? Of the three, who is looked at most and leastfavorably? 

13 days ago
1/1/01

Interesting question.

13 days ago
1/25/19
foreigners media is even more left wing and globalist than Americas media. so their view of America is from an ignorant fake news perspective.
13 days ago
9/20/19
skad - foreigners media is even more left wing and globalist than Americas media. so their view of America is from an ignorant fake news perspective.

Nobody axed you 

13 days ago
12/22/10

It's an election year, all of this is mostly a charade. 

13 days ago
1/25/19
HillboFrateTrane - 
skad - foreigners media is even more left wing and globalist than Americas media. so their view of America is from an ignorant fake news perspective.

Nobody axed you 

where do i live then, bitch.

thats right, you dont know shit. i could live in North Korea for all you know.
Edited: 13 days ago
1/1/01
Since you asked...

I'm in Canada and I can tell you everyone I know (friends, family, relatives across Canada with whom I speak) are just in awe at how terrible things look in the USA. Ask any Canadian and it's a unanimous head shake of disbelief. You can see it all over the news, just everywhere.

I'm on tons of different forums for various hobbies, and I look at various news sites, and it's exactly the same looking at comments from people around the world: just abject disbelief that America ever elected Trump and that it could actually get WORSE than anyone imagined and that there would remain a substantial, vocal portion of America still supporting Trump and
absolutely sabotaging efforts to get the virus under control.

From outside, it just looks dystopian. I keep hearing from friends "A failed nation, going down the tubes."

And that honestly really pains me as I take zero glee in the idea. I've been visiting the States constantly all my life and have friends there. It's like a second home and I love the people so much whenever I visit. In terms of personal experience, I've never had the "ugly American" impression, but rather the "friendly american."

But things have changed so much towards dysfunction it's hard to recognize the country now. It now looks more like a hostage situation - a whole bunch of compassionate, reasonable Americans duck-taped to a crazy narcissist leader and his acolytes running towards the edge of a cliff.

On forums like this with lots of testosterone-fueled american dudes, if anyone critisized the USA the response was usually along the lines of "GTF outta here! We are the most influential nation in the world. Everyone wants to be like us. Everyone wants to live here, that's why people come from all over the world in numbers like nowhere else. This is a Great Nation!"

Now when all the current failures are pointed out, and the standing in the world has so obviously sunk low, the tune has changed to "So what? We don't give a FUCK about what you or anyone else thinks about us!"

Like the last middle finger given as the ship sinks under water.

Anyway, just as an onlooker, I'm very worried about the extremes that the BLM, social justice and social politics are taking. The purity testing, the "bend knee and accept the new narrative." I GET the concerns that many towards the right (and even some liberals) have, including about Biden being a pushover for those forces. But I truly think nothing could be worse for how America handles the virus, and for it's standing in the world, if Trump were re-elected. It would be a Parahia nation.
13 days ago
10/8/08
got alot of SE Asian friends, parents who flee'd Laos, Cambo, and china, think american kids this generation our spoil and never been deprive of food water and education or seen a person try to breath with a plastic bag over their face and die; with no means of defending themselves with no 2A....some of the stories i hear. they'll never vote democrate.
13 days ago
9/20/19
skad -
HillboFrateTrane - 

Nobody axed you 

where do i live then, bitch.

thats right, you dont know shit. i could live in North Korea for all you know.

What’s going on, comrade? 

13 days ago
9/20/19
prof - Since you asked...

I'm in Canada and I can tell you everyone I know (friends, family, relatives across Canada with whom I speak) are just in awe at how terrible things look in the USA. Ask any Canadian and it's a unanimous head shake of disbelief. You can see it all over the news, just everywhere.

I'm on tons of different forums for various hobbies, and I look at various news sites, and it's exactly the same looking at comments from people around the world: just abject disbelief that America ever elected Trump and that it could actually get WORSE than anyone imagined and that there would remain a substantial, vocal portion of America still supporting Trump and

From outside, it just looks dystopian. I keep hearing from friends "A failed nation, going down the tubes."

And that honestly really pains me as I take zero glee in the idea. I've been visiting the States constantly all my life and have friends there. It's like a second home and I love the people so much whenever I visit. In terms of personal experience, I've never had the "ugly American" impression, but rather the "friendly american."

But things have changed so much towards dysfunction it's hard to recognize the country now. It now looks more like a hostage situation - a whole bunch of compassionate, reasonable Americans duck-taped to a crazy narcissist leader and his acolytes running towards the edge of a cliff.

On forums like this with lots of testosterone-fueled american dudes, if anyone critisized the USA the response was usually along the lines of "GTF outta here! We are the most influential nation in the world. Everyone wants to be like us. Everyone wants to live here, that's why people come from all over the world in numbers like nowhere else. This is a Great Nation!"

Now when all the current failures are pointed out, and the standing in the world has so obviously sunk low, the tune has changed to "So what? We don't give a FUCK about what you or anyone else thinks about us!"

Anyway, just as an onlooker, I'm very worried about the extremes that the BLM, social justice and social politics are taking. The purity testing, the "bend knee and accept the new narrative." I GET the concerns that many towards the right (and even some liberals) have, including about Biden being a pushover for those forces. But I truly think nothing could be worse for how America handles the virus, and for it's standing in the world, if Trump were re-elected. It would be a Parahia nation.

That’s about what I what I thought.  

13 days ago
6/29/16

It's like watching a car crash in slow motion.

13 days ago
1/1/01

Valid... But honest question. If Biden is elected and the loonies in the Left emboldened and the slide toward Leftist authoritarianism continues or even gains momentum, is that better or worse than Trump?

Trump will go down as one of the worst Presidents in history if only for his personal flaws, but is he really worse than the alternative the Left presents?

13 days ago
2/2/08
prof - Since you asked...

I'm planning on moving to Canada.

I need to escape from the US because it has been contaminated by the far left wing/SJWs/Marxists.

Canada is much better.
13 days ago
10/25/14

I am an Aussie and reading half the threads here I am thinking “WTFF is wrong with your country?!?”

I know social media is more used by the left, and the noisy wheel gets the oil yada yada yada, ie news reports now a days are made up of people’s opinions on social media. Like I care about these nobodies, why you telling me what someone posted on Twitter, that you hand picked to sway opinion.

I am sure it is not like the impression I get (admittedly most of my news exposure is limited to here and Reddit) as I don’t use social media.

But some of the stories like people getting canceled for crazy reason, yet others can riot and attack people with what seems to be very little accountability. Just say the guy said the magic word and then it’s like he wasn’t beaten enough.

How some kid smiling at the native guy was wall to wall coverage for what seemed like ages, then some other stories that I think are shocking gets minimal coverage.

Bottom line, my opinion is your news media is beyond messed up. Everything that makes its way here is so biased and heavily leaning one way or the other. I don’t care much about your politics and does not bother me, I assume it is not as bad as what I think, but it would drive me up the wall if that was my country.

I had to stop using reddit news/world news lately...waste of time. Just hope Australia does not head down that way.

13 days ago
3/20/15
Black Doug - 

It's an election year, all of this is mostly a charade. 

Normally I would agrre with that but it's been going on for 3.5 years...... They actually want this...

5/2/09

In Russia ppl are laughing and joking that americans are on their knees sucking blm dicks, including on television

13 days ago
11/28/14

A once great country that is being ruined by the left

13 days ago
1/1/01
I'm a Finn and I'm with professor_rob, crazy shit happens in USA and you do not seem to have any neutral news media.
13 days ago
9/20/19
professor_rob -

I am an Aussie and reading half the threads here I am thinking “WTFF is wrong with your country?!?”

I know social media is more used by the left, and the noisy wheel gets the oil yada yada yada, ie news reports now a days are made up of people’s opinions on social media. Like I care about these nobodies, why you telling me what someone posted on Twitter, that you hand picked to sway opinion.

I am sure it is not like the impression I get (admittedly most of my news exposure is limited to here and Reddit) as I don’t use social media.

But some of the stories like people getting canceled for crazy reason, yet others can riot and attack people with what seems to be very little accountability. Just say the guy said the magic word and then it’s like he wasn’t beaten enough.

How some kid smiling at the native guy was wall to wall coverage for what seemed like ages, then some other stories that I think are shocking gets minimal coverage.

Bottom line, my opinion is your news media is beyond messed up. Everything that makes its way here is so biased and heavily leaning one way or the other. I don’t care much about your politics and does not bother me, I assume it is not as bad as what I think, but it would drive me up the wall if that was my country.

I had to stop using reddit news/world news lately...waste of time. Just hope Australia does not head down that way.

Would anyone rightfully consider you a bogan? 

3/11/19

ttt

13 days ago
11/10/18
glassjawed -

In Russia ppl are laughing and joking that americans are on their knees sucking blm dicks, including on television

It’s true and they should laugh. I’m laughing at it because it’s pathetic. 

13 days ago
3/1/09
amadeus -

Valid... But honest question. If Biden is elected and the loonies in the Left emboldened and the slide toward Leftist authoritarianism continues or even gains momentum, is that better or worse than Trump?

Trump will go down as one of the worst Presidents in history if only for his personal flaws, but is he really worse than the alternative the Left presents?

We're not fortune tellers my dude, but whatever you're doing in the now doesn't seem to be working out for you.

13 days ago
11/21/05

It's cool seeing all the foreign "professors" up in here!

13 days ago
7/26/15

You have a reality TV show host as president and elected the terminator to lead the state with the biggest economy. It looks like you're trolling the world until you delve deeper and realise you're not in on the joke

13 days ago
11/10/18

When your friends say the US is a failed or failing state I’m genuinely curious where that puts Canada in their mind? I mean, if we’re going to be honest if we fail, so do you and you guys may have an economic collapse that we survive. I’m not trying to put down Canada as I think Canadians are great, it just always strikes me as odd to hear them talk about the US as if they aren’t dependent on us. Surely Canadians wouldn’t rather answer to China, would they?