OtherGround Forums Getting into the Premier league

7/25/19 1:12 AM
7/24/15

I live in America so soccer here sucks. I was going to follow a premier league team since its higher level. Which team should I follow?

7/25/19 1:27 AM
6/26/06

I like Liverpool .   Did close out the league title but won the big one.  

7/25/19 2:30 AM
9/4/11

Depends what you want. If you want glory, currently, you go for Manchester City. If you want history, Manchester United. For an up and coming team, Wolverhampton Wanderers. 

7/25/19 3:17 AM
8/17/11

Pick a London team. If you ever visit England it would prob be London and at least that way you can watch a match 

7/25/19 8:21 AM
10/23/02

My boys Aston Villa have just been promoted back to the Prem, with a lifelong villa fan as manager and a couple of billionaire owners. We've spent over £100mil on keeping our best and investing on some new talent. Exciting season ahead! 

7/25/19 9:02 AM
8/18/13

Anyone but Arsenal & Liverpool. Both clubs have a lots of cunty fans

7/25/19 9:06 AM
1/1/01

The top 6 or so teams are fun to follow.  They seem to dominate the league because of the number of international stars they can afford.  

7/25/19 9:39 AM
2/8/08
Tottenham if you like to feel pain. I have family out there, so I support them by default, but christ do they let you down.
7/25/19 11:30 AM
11/15/04

I'd say Tottenham or Arsenal...

Edited: 7/25/19 11:58 AM
12/28/04

Whats the point, its not like you can pick a team then give a fuck. Just watch all the games if you want to get into it. Football teams are something you are born into, not something you pick. If you start just watching the games you might start supporting a team as a by product. 

7/25/19 12:03 PM
6/13/07
I'm a life long Chelsea fan, long before Roman bought the club.

Most fans end up picking a top 6 club, so here goes:

Man City. Used to be a laughing stock club, but they are the club of the people of Manchester. Man United arent even in Manchester. Then the Arabs bought them, and boom. $$$ and now they are probably the best team in the world.

Liverpool. Tons of history. Arch-rivals are Everton who are local and United from back in their shared glory days. Utterly cunty fans. The team is from the shittiest city in England. Great manager.

Chelsea. Greatest club on the planet. Dont listen to the haters, we had tons of history before our benevolent owner bought us in 2003. More titles over the last 15 years than any club in England ( unless City just passed us with the treble last year ). New manager is a legend at the club and one of the greatest midfielders in history.

Tottenham. Affiliated with the Jewish community. Disgusting fans. Havent won shit in like 200 years. Their star man would rather have goal records that titles for the team. He once claimed a goal by saying it touched his hair on the way through. And Tottenham is the shittiest part of London. Figures

Arsenal. Historic club. Great fans. Cheapskate owner that just wants to profit off of the club and not win anything. Most likely top six club to fall out with the up and comers beating on the door like Everton and Wolves.

United. If I have to tell you about Manchester United, find another sport. And they suck donkey balls and have the worst glory hunting fans this side of Real Madrid.
7/25/19 12:04 PM
5/10/08
Buck Nasty - 

I live in America so soccer here sucks. I was going to follow a premier league team since its higher level. Which team should I follow?

I think the 2 best teams for Americans are:

- Liverpool, and

- Spurs

7/25/19 12:09 PM
3/7/03

I follow Middlesbrough pretty closely and they’re not even in the premier league. They got relegated like three years ago when I started following them

but the best American player is Christian pulisic ... he just signed w chelsea

so for me this year it’s Boro, again and chelsea

7/25/19 12:13 PM
5/10/08
boxcar-for-life - 

I follow Middlesbrough pretty closely and they’re not even in the premier league. They got relegated like three years ago when I started following them

There you are... was gonna say that there was someone who started following boro....

Good that you still follow them... they will be back.

Edited: 7/25/19 12:33 PM
1/1/01

7/25/19 12:35 PM
4/18/01
nothing gayer than a US soccer fan that only watches BPL
7/25/19 1:21 PM
7/30/14

Aston Villa. Bucks co-owner Wes Edens is our co-owner and him and his business partner have just injected a lot of money into re-establishing us as a Premier League team. Will definitely be exciting to watch. Don’t be one of those Man City/Man U/Liverpool/Arsenal queers. 

7/25/19 2:12 PM
3/7/03
lionsoul -
boxcar-for-life - 

There you are... was gonna say that there was someone who started following boro....

Good that you still follow them... they will be back.

Oh yeah 

i watch the championship more than the premier league, since my team sucks:(

7/25/19 2:52 PM
2/5/13

Can someone explain to me how the premier league works with all the relegation and teams coming in and out, etc.  someone mentioned some team won a treble - wtf is that? Someone else said they didn’t win the league but won the big one - what does that mean...is that like didn’t finish regular season in first place but won the super bowl? 

How do player transfers work - like when Ronaldo goes from the premier league to some team in Spain - are those leagues related or are they just buying and selling players to each other like a commodity. 

When does the season start and end? I always see the games on American TV but is impossible to follow because half the time I think I’m watching a love meaningful game and turns out it’s some game from 6 months ago.  

If someone can give cliff notes

I’d like to follow but you fucking limeys make this shit so god damned confusing and over complicated.  

7/25/19 2:58 PM
11/11/14

As if there aren't enough homosexuals for you to watch in US soccer you have to watch the homos across the pond

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c1tzr0n_Usk

7/25/19 3:04 PM
7/30/14
JohnJamesUrgayle -

Can someone explain to me how the premier league works with all the relegation and teams coming in and out, etc.  someone mentioned some team won a treble - wtf is that? Someone else said they didn’t win the league but won the big one - what does that mean...is that like didn’t finish regular season in first place but won the super bowl? 

How do player transfers work - like when Ronaldo goes from the premier league to some team in Spain - are those leagues related or are they just buying and selling players to each other like a commodity. 

When does the season start and end? I always see the games on American TV but is impossible to follow because half the time I think I’m watching a love meaningful game and turns out it’s some game from 6 months ago.  

I’d like to follow but you fucking limeys make this shit so god damned confusing and over complicated.  

English Football has a number of leagues. It goes Premier League > Championship > League One > League 2. (It goes further all the way down to regional leagues but I’m guessing you wouldn’t be interested in that level.

3 teams get relegated from the Premier League each year. The teams in 18th, 19th and 20th. 3 teams get promoted from the Championship 1st and 2nd. Then there’s a playoff between 3rd 4th 5th and 6th to determine the third promoted team. The teams who gets promoted become about £100-150m richer purely on TV rights.

Players under contract can be sold during the transfer windows (one in the Summer and one in January). 

League games are Friday night 7:45, Saturday at 12, 3 or 5:15, Sunday at 3 or 5:15 and Monday night 7:45.

When people say they didn’t win the league but the won ‘the big one’ they mean the Champions League, which is a competition putting the best teams from each European League against each other. Similar to the World Cup it starts as a group tournament and goes to knockout rounds to determine the winner.

The domestic treble is league, FA Cup and League Cup competitions. The big treble though is League, Fa Cup and Champions League. 

7/25/19 3:14 PM
5/10/08
JohnJamesUrgayle - 

There are multiple tournaments:

(1) The league.  All the teams play each other twice.  Each team gets points depending on a Win, Draw or Loss.  Whoever has the most points at the end of the season wins the league.

(2) The League Cup.  Teams play each other (and teams from other divisions) in a tournament style.  

(3) The Champions League.  The Top 4 or 5 teams from every major league (EPL, La Liga, Bundesliga, Ligue 1, Serie A, etc.) get to play in this superleague tournament.  There are group stages and then knockout stages (set up similar to a world cup).

(4) Europa League.  Similar to Champions League, but for the Top teams remaining who didn't qualify for the Champions league.

There can be more mini tourneys... But this is pretty much how most leagues in Europe are structured...  

On Relegation.  In each country, the bottom 3 teams are relegated to a lower level league and the Top 3 teams from that lower level league are brought in to compete in the Top League.

Treble.  When a team wins the League, the Champions League and the League Cup.

Transfers.  Teams can buy and sell players during a certain time period.  Usually contracts will set up a minimum price necessary to trigger the deal.

7/25/19 3:14 PM
2/23/12
MoreThanUFC - I'm a life long Chelsea fan, long before Roman bought the club.

Most fans end up picking a top 6 club, so here goes:

Man City. Used to be a laughing stock club, but they are the club of the people of Manchester. Man United arent even in Manchester. Then the Arabs bought them, and boom. $$$ and now they are probably the best team in the world.

Liverpool. Tons of history. Arch-rivals are Everton who are local and United from back in their shared glory days. Utterly cunty fans. The team is from the shittiest city in England. Great manager.

Chelsea. Greatest club on the planet. Dont listen to the haters, we had tons of history before our benevolent owner bought us in 2003. More titles over the last 15 years than any club in England ( unless City just passed us with the treble last year ). New manager is a legend at the club and one of the greatest midfielders in history.

Tottenham. Affiliated with the Jewish community. Disgusting fans. Havent won shit in like 200 years. Their star man would rather have goal records that titles for the team. He once claimed a goal by saying it touched his hair on the way through. And Tottenham is the shittiest part of London. Figures

Arsenal. Historic club. Great fans. Cheapskate owner that just wants to profit off of the club and not win anything. Most likely top six club to fall out with the up and comers beating on the door like Everton and Wolves.

United. If I have to tell you about Manchester United, find another sport. And they suck donkey balls and have the worst glory hunting fans this side of Real Madrid.

1 league title and three fa cups before roman is ‘tons of history’? 

This was a long post with a lot of drivel OP, give it a miss

7/25/19 3:16 PM
7/21/18
Dragunov -
JohnJamesUrgayle -

English Football has a number of leagues. It goes Premier League > Championship > League One > League 2. (It goes further all the way down to regional leagues but I’m guessing you wouldn’t be interested in that level.

3 teams get relegated from the Premier League each year. The teams in 18th, 19th and 20th. 3 teams get promoted from the Championship 1st and 2nd. Then there’s a playoff between 3rd 4th 5th and 6th to determine the third promoted team. The teams who gets promoted become about £100-150m richer purely on TV rights.

Players under contract can be sold during the transfer windows (one in the Summer and one in January). 

League games are Friday night 7:45, Saturday at 12, 3 or 5:15, Sunday at 3 or 5:15 and Monday night 7:45.

When people say they didn’t win the league but the won ‘the big one’ they mean the Champions League, which is a competition putting the best teams from each European League against each other. Similar to the World Cup it starts as a group tournament and goes to knockout rounds to determine the winner.

The domestic treble is league, FA Cup and League Cup competitions. The big treble though is League, Fa Cup and Champions League. 

The seasons start in August and end in may. 

7/25/19 6:48 PM
7/17/17

Set your self up for a lifetime of disappointment and support a championship team, Fulham.